Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: YES & RUSH
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 16, 2020 09:28

YES is the greatest Prog. Rock band imho & Top 4 All-time, regardless of genre. '71 through '80 is especially great. Their iterations b/w '69-'80 featured many amazing musicians & songwriters individually & even better collectively. For example guitarist "Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977-1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame. The only other two guitarists to win the "Best Overall Guitarist" category for the "Gallery of Greats" are Steve Morse and Eric Johnson. Considering he won those awards during the peak of: Led Zep (Jimmy Page), Stones (Keef & Ron), The Who (Pete Townshend) should put his career/talent into proper perspective. It was a joke they weren't inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame 25+ yrs earlier than they were eventually inducted. Chris Squire on bass rivals: Wyman, Entwhistle, McCartney, John Paul Jones among others. Same with Jon Anderson on vocals & Bill Bruford (drums), later Alan White. Rick Wakeman (piano/keyboards/organ/synth) also known for his hit solo LPs is another criminally underrated musician. Their music is very uplifting, has substance, often conveying esoteric messages/themes blended with a stellar musical experience. Unlike Pink Floyd who often leaves the listener marooned in a deep, dark & depressed virtual state of hypnosis. These are must haves for any Rock 'N Roll fan:

The Yes album
Fragile
Close To The Edge
Tales From Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Going For The One
Tormato
Drama

Most great bands would love to have 8 albums as good as these.

+ Yes Shows & Yes Songs live LP's.

Yes is so unique (some might argue they're an acquired taste), but for me they just clicked, like the 1st time I heard The Stones/Beatles/Led Zep/The Who etc.
If you've never heard any of the 8 LP's listed above, you're truly missing out on some of the best music ever made (regardless of genre).

I'm not a huge prog.rock fan, but I love Yes & have rated them #4 all-time(tied with The Who) & only behind The Beatles, The Stones & Led Zeppelin. Hendrix @ #6, The Doors #7, Rush #8, Pink Floyd #9, Van Halen #10 (David Lee Roth era).

HM: Clapton/Cream/Derek & the Dominos, The Kinks, Muse, Bob Marley & Nirvana round out the Top 15.

Here is a nice write-up on 'Tales From Topographic Oceans'.

Yes: The real story behind Tales From Topographic Oceans

I challenge anyone who isn't familiar with these to be open minded enough to listen to them. You'll thank me later (no thanks necessary, I just want you to experience the magic & ecstasy of Yes!)...This is the caliber of music that makes people say: "why did it take me 50 yrs to find this, it's F**king amazing"

Rush is the 2nd greatest prog.rock band. Rush ('74-'84, 1st LP 'Rush' through 'Moving Pictures'), the next 3 LP's had a handful of good songs combined, but they really dropped off after that. HM to King Crimson (Red, Larks Tongues in Aspic & Starless and Bible Black)...the John Wetton years/LPs.

Re: OT: YES & RUSH
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 16, 2020 10:31

Yes, nice promo.

But wouldn't this extremely OT thread fit better into a Yes fanpage than here?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 16, 2020 12:00

There were many great Italian bands too: for some reason prog rock was very popular here in the 70s.

I think PFM is the only one that could be somehow known abroad.

C

Date: December 16, 2020 12:21

Tormato is poor, but the rest of those albums are ace.

Date: December 16, 2020 12:30

Always loved Yes and Yes Songs is one of the greatest live albums ever.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: December 16, 2020 12:39

If you like Yes you will probably enjoy norwegian band Wobbler : [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 16, 2020 15:26

Never much of a Yes fan but the quality of the musicianship was extremely high. Steve Howe had very few peers among 70's guitarists, totally original approach.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 16, 2020 16:29

Tales from Topographic Oceans: I am not a big fan of Prog.rock music but that record made a strong impression on me in 1976 which is also the year I got hooked up on the Stones. TTFTO is just one of a kind. It takes some repeated listenings as it is a very complex and dense musical creation . The vocals(melodies) and harmonies on that record are astonishing!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 16, 2020 18:00

roryfaninva
Never much of a Yes fan but the quality of the musicianship was extremely high. Steve Howe had very few peers among 70's guitarists, totally original approach.

I always thought, pound for pound, technically speaking they were the most talented band by far.

Doesn't mean they're my favorite if course, but if you wanted to see masters of their instruments, that was the band to see.

Rick Wakeman, Bill Burford, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, and later Trevor Rabin; and Jon Anderson of course had those pristine vocals.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2020 19:54

Never a huge fan and never saw any version of them live, but Fragile is my favorite, and many of their tunes were a mainstay on the '70's FM radio stations in my area.
One of those stations even used a portion of a Yes tune as their theme/calling jingle (either KLOS, KMET, or maybe KWST), and you'd hear it at least several times a day.
I liked Tormato- Don't Kill the Whales is a great tune. And I even liked some of Drama with Trevor Horn on vocals - Tempis Fugit is fantastic.
And yes, I also liked the Howe-less 90125, and Big Generator that followed it. Again, not a huge fan, but glad they existed as they had many great tunes back in the day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-16 19:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 16, 2020 19:56

I've avoided both these bands all my life.
As soon as the singing starts, I changed channels.
NEVER regretted that. Proud of it.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: December 16, 2020 20:51

Growing up in Canada, I was exposed to Rush early and often. I'm not a huge fan of their earlier material, but I do like some of their songs from Permanent Waves on quite a bit.

Jacob's Ladder, Entre Nous, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions are among the tracks of theirs that I enjoy. I also greatly appreciate how well the three of them represented Canada. They are all good family men. And Neil Peart was a very interesting person. Phenomenal drummer, deep thinker, talented writer.

I do not like Yes. The only song of theirs that ever moved me was "Owner of a Lonely Heart" upon its release. And if I'm not mistaken, that track represented a departure from their usual sound, no?

Date: December 16, 2020 22:39

DandelionPowderman
Tormato is poor, but the rest of those albums are ace.

I love Tormato, even the cover is hilarious. Though it's not a Roger Dean special art work like the others. His covers add to the justified mystique & magic, at least for me. Probably similar to a Dead Head's infatuation with The Grateful Dead. Tormato was better than Drama imho, which was their last good album.

90125 is poor, wanna-be new age mainstream crap, imho.

Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe wasn't bad from what I remember 25+ yrs ago, but I don't own it. Union is also kinda meh. I haven't listened to anything after that. They did a cover of some of the Dark Side Of The Moon ~5 yrs ago, not bad, but it's not Jon Anderson, Chris is RIP, etc.

@DandelionPowderman ...What albums do you suggest after '80's Drama? I look forward to you feedback, thanks.

Date: December 16, 2020 22:42

walkingthedog
If you like Yes you will probably enjoy norwegian band Wobbler : [www.youtube.com]

@walkingthedog Thanks for the heads up, I'm always open to new music suggestions. Coming from one Yes fan to another, the recommendation holds 10x more clout. I'll give 'em a listen.

What albums after '80's Drama do you recommend? I look forward to your feedback.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 16, 2020 22:47

I didn't like Yes as a kid, but definitely went through a Rush phase... then as I got older, I enjoyed revisiting old Yes albums (I studied them as a young drummer, but didn't get into them at the time) and now I have an appreciation for early Yes. Rush, on the other hand, comes off with a bit more of a cheese factor to me these days. I loved Moving Pictures and 2112 as a kid, but can't seriously listen to them/ appreciate them today very much, whereas I really enjoy Fragile to this day, and enjoy those '72 live releases quite a bit.

Date: December 16, 2020 22:47

makemeburnthecandle
Always loved Yes and Yes Songs is one of the greatest live albums ever.

It makes me sad that most of my friends (over the decades) never really got into them, only a handful of musician friends truly appreciate their genius. I'm glad you recognize it & enjoy them. If there's any band in my Top 5 all-time that's criminally underrated, it's Yes ('69-'80).

If you haven't heard YesShows (2cd) it's just as good a performance as YesSongs, albeit with some slightly lesser known hits, unless you're a hard core fan.

@makemeburnthecandle What albums do you recommend after '80's Drama? Thanks for the feedback.

Date: December 16, 2020 22:51

roryfaninva

I applaud your recognition of their musical talent, even if their particular brand doesn't appeal to your senses. I'm venturing a guess you're either a musician/play(ed) an instrument or just have a "musical ear".

Their musical appeal to me is literally magnetic, just like The Beatles/Stones/Led Zep.

Date: December 16, 2020 22:56

JimmyTheSaint
Growing up in Canada, I was exposed to Rush early and often. I'm not a huge fan of their earlier material, but I do like some of their songs from Permanent Waves on quite a bit.

Jacob's Ladder, Entre Nous, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions are among the tracks of theirs that I enjoy. I also greatly appreciate how well the three of them represented Canada. They are all good family men. And Neil Peart was a very interesting person. Phenomenal drummer, deep thinker, talented writer.

I do not like Yes. The only song of theirs that ever moved me was "Owner of a Lonely Heart" upon its release. And if I'm not mistaken, that track represented a departure from their usual sound, no?

Neil was an introvert, very private, hated answering question from the media, loved riding his motorcycle(s)...so similar to me. Fun fact: Neil's half-brother is an old friend of mine (I haven't spoken to him in ~3 yrs, but have known him for 15). They were raised together in Canada. I knew him for ~7 yrs before I ever knew he was Neal's half-brother. It's a small world.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 16, 2020 22:57

I hate Yes and most prog rock bands. They might be talented but bores the crap out of me. And people that like them are generally music snobs who put down rock fans as unsophisticated dimwits I don't bother defending rock to these people.

Date: December 16, 2020 23:08

Tate
I didn't like Yes as a kid, but definitely went through a Rush phase... then as I got older, I enjoyed revisiting old Yes albums (I studied them as a young drummer, but didn't get into them at the time) and now I have an appreciation for early Yes. Rush, on the other hand, comes off with a bit more of a cheese factor to me these days. I loved Moving Pictures and 2112 as a kid, but can't seriously listen to them/ appreciate them today very much, whereas I really enjoy Fragile to this day, and enjoy those '72 live releases quite a bit.

Before age 13 I didn't dig Yes' music either (the few songs I had been exposed to)...FFWD a few yrs & I gained a totally new perspective & then it just "clicked".

I get the "cheese factor" you refer to w/Rush, which for me was after Moving Pictures LP (mid 80's onward) It just sounded like they were making music for the money or selling out to the mainstream of what their version of (then) current/modern music should sound like...I hope that makes sense. '74-'81 is pure gold imho. While Yes' "gold era" is '71-'80.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-16 23:09 by KevinM.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 16, 2020 23:40

IMO four Yes albums are fantastic:
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close To The Edge

The rest of the albums are from okay to good but don't come close.

Date: December 17, 2020 00:11

Thommie
IMO four Yes albums are fantastic:
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close To The Edge

The rest of the albums are from okay to good but don't come close.

Interesting that you have 90125 on there. It got a good amt. of airplay in it's time. Curiously absent though is Relayer, TFTO, and to a lesser extent even Going For The One & Tormato (as the latter 2 were very different than the former 5).

Relayer (the follow up to TFTO) didn't have Rick Wakeman on it, nor Bill Bruford...Wakeman later returned to the band, but Bruford was gone for good...at least til they toured all together in the early 90's (Union tour).

One, if not both Yes concerts I saw ('91 & '95) featured 2 drummers iirc, Bruford & White, playing simultaneously, it was spectacular.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 02:15 by KevinM.

Date: December 17, 2020 00:17

masseywinos
I hate Yes and most prog rock bands. They might be talented but bores the crap out of me. And people that like them are generally music snobs who put down rock fans as unsophisticated dimwits I don't bother defending rock to these people.

Music is highly subjective & that's okay.

Yes & Rush aren't for everybody, it's certainly an acquired taste, but it is a sub-genre of Rock 'N Roll. Also not all people who like prog. rock are "musical snobs". Rock'N Roll needs no defense because it is & always will be the Best.

What amazes me is how Classical Music has withstood the test of time...300-400+ yrs!! (take that Rap/Hip-hop/current"R&B")...In the immortal words of beloved Beatle Sir George Harrison "Rap is Crap".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2020 00:21

KevinM

One, if not both Yes concerts I saw featured 2 drummers iirc, Bruford & White, playing simultaneously, it was spectacular.

Would have been cool in a Spinal Tap kind of way if one of the drummers exploded on stage.> Spinal Tap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 00:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 17, 2020 01:34

Reminds me of the vibe I got off classic Tull ('72-76)- I didnt really like the band but the playing was razor sharp and immaculate, Martin Barre was an awesome guitarist and they were, love 'em or hate 'em, completely original and totally distinct. Too mannered and eccentric to suit me.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: December 17, 2020 01:47

Like Yes and Rush, and I think it was not just magic music, it was like a combo, the yes vinyl artworks are incredible, the same with Rush some albums.

And in the case of Yes, Yessongs was a triple vinyl album !!!! things like this don't happen this days.

Bye
Fernando

Date: December 17, 2020 01:58

Just a sample of (relatively shorter) great songs that aren't the 10-20min Opus' (their other Masterpieces). I have compiled these for those who haven't had much exposure to the band and/or it just didn't "click" when you last heard them etc.

Every Little Thing (Beatles cover)

Yours Is No Disgrace

Starship Trooper

Perpetual Change

Going For The One

I've Seen All Good People

Looking Around

Date: December 17, 2020 02:13

Fernandobsas
Like Yes and Rush, and I think it was not just magic music, it was like a combo, the yes vinyl artworks are incredible, the same with Rush some albums.

And in the case of Yes, Yessongs was a triple vinyl album !!!! things like this don't happen this days.

Bye
Fernando

Yes, exactly!

I like how Rush's A Farewell to Kings is the (pt.1) of Hemispheres (pt.2), probably my 2 favs. 2112, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, Rush (1st LP), in that order are next. Moving Pictures & Permanent Waves round out the list.

these were just posted this week by YT'er R&UT (Rare & Unreleased Tracks), he/she posts some good stuff on occasion.

YES - ''Different Stories'' CD1: Early Mixes - by R&UT

YES - ''Different Stories'' CD2: Single Versions - by R&UT

YES - ''Different Stories'' CD3: Rarities - by R&UT

Enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 02:13 by KevinM.

Date: December 17, 2020 02:20

roryfaninva
Reminds me of the vibe I got off classic Tull ('72-76)- I didnt really like the band but the playing was razor sharp and immaculate, Martin Barre was an awesome guitarist and they were, love 'em or hate 'em, completely original and totally distinct. Too mannered and eccentric to suit me.

I feel the same way about most of Genesis (P.Gabriel era), though ironically my favorite LP is Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (P.Gabriel at his peak, before going solo). Phil Collins era had a dozen or so good songs, including some of his early solo stuff...but none of it compares to solo Gabriel (save for LLDocool smiley, the guy is pure musical genius, solo albums 1-5 are must haves/listen.

Date: December 17, 2020 02:24

dead.flowers
Yes, nice promo.

But wouldn't this extremely OT thread fit better into a Yes fanpage than here?

It's no different than the dozens of other OT threads for other bands (The Who, Led Zep, Page & Plant, Hendrix, ACDC, Springsteen, etc. etc.)...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home