Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rick Nelson Gone 35 Years This Month
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 16, 2020 03:46

Doesnt seem possible but he'd be 80 if he was alive today...now recognized as a country rock pioneer, in this clip he's doing Dylan with post-Poco/pre-Eagles Randy Meisner on bass. If you watched Ozzie and Harriet in black and white as a kid , yer gettin' old!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-16 04:00 by roryfaninva.

Re: OT: Rick Nelson Gone 35 Years This Month
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 16, 2020 04:01

Nice live version of "I Shall Be Released" from 1969-

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 16, 2020 04:20

The Ozzie and Harriett show was a fixture regarding television viewing in its day. Rick(y) was a heart-throb for a generation of young girls/women. There's much good music to be found in his 50s/60s sides. James Burton plays guitar on any number of these songs. Many of these are in my ongoing music mix.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2020 05:23

Watched all the reruns in the late '60's and in to the '70's, amazing that the series ran for a whopping 14 years between '52-'66!.
I recall Traveling Man as it was one of my dad's favorites in the early-mid '60's, and Garden Party from the '72 was also great - I heard it all the time on the radio.
Tragic ending to his life - I recall it being a pretty big story in the mid-'80's w/ all the gossipy speculation involved.

Cool old clip here from '58 of Ricky jamming with James Burton late in to the night:

And Garden Party:

RIP Ricky Nelson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-16 05:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 16, 2020 05:28

dmay
The Ozzie and Harriet show was a fixture regarding television viewing in its day.

It was. Huge.

Amazing how that is mostly forgotten. A few years ago, SNL ran an episode from 1979 that was hosted by Rick (during an attempt at a comeback, pushing a new new retro-rock album).

Prior to the beginning of the rerun they inserted a graphic that explained to the modern audiences who Rick Nelson was...that he had been on this "Ozzie & Harriet" TV show back in the 50's. Otherwise many of the references and jokes would fall flat.

As big as the Ozzie & Harriet show was, how could they now be so obscure??

I was fortunate to see Nelson live in August of '85 at a special show taped at the Universal Amphitheatre, where he opened for Fats Domino. Fats tore the roof off the place...one of best nights ever. Rick joined him for "I'm Walkin'"

My favorite bit of Rick Nelson trivia is that one of the big fans of his early hits whom he inspired was Bob Marley.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 16, 2020 07:29

Got to see him too when I was quite young, my parents were fans. Remember Garden Party and Hello Mary Lou (my mom's name... probably why they liked him, plus my mom swore my dad looked like him when he was younger).

The other thing I remember was the unique looking Leland Sklar on bass.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 16, 2020 08:16

On Youtube, Paul McCartney sings Lonesome Town in the show he plays with David Gilmour on guitar and Ian Paice on drums.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 16, 2020 19:57

Loved Rick.
Traveling Man has the Jordanaires.
Tragic early ending.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 16, 2020 21:34

It was New Years Eve. I was at a party. Someone came in and turned the radio on to the story. What a shock. Bit of a hard life for such a pretty boy. Probably started doing rock and roll to get girls, and it blossomed into something real.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 17, 2020 00:58

I saw him and his band open for someone sometime at a little place my friend booked for, almost a real garden party, and I thought they were pretty good, for being someone as uncool as Ricky Nelson. The song Garden Party really put it well I think, and I gained a lot of respect for him that day. I think it was the Turtles they opened for, and I got high with Flo and Eddie that day. 'Course they weren't Flo and Eddie at that time just a couple of goofballs.

jb

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 17, 2020 18:31

One of the best. Hi early stuff was terrific, and his later stuff was so good

Date: December 18, 2020 05:19

A lot of folks credit his Stone Canyon Band for starting the whole Country Rock movement (though of course most credit Gram Parsons)

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 18, 2020 13:50

I really enjoy Ricky Nelson’s recordings with James Burton: Believe What You Say, Stood Up, Travelling Man and, of course, Hello Mary Lou.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 18, 2020 15:11

His Dylan cover 'She Belongs to Me" was awesome--
Garden Party too

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: December 18, 2020 15:22

Great post. Ricky gets some love on the Outlaw Country Sirius channel (so do the Stones).

Date: December 18, 2020 22:37

Travellin' Man, forgot about that one! Great song.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home