Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones 8 track differences
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 8, 2023 00:28

ribbelchips
Hmm I looked around for about half an hour and no sign of a 8 track release of Undercover.. I found every other album, including live albums and compilations like Made in the Shade, Sucking in the Seventees and Still Life, but not Undercover...

[www.valueyourmusic.com]

Dirty Work is quite rare, but 85$ is a very high price. In the ebay sales listings you can find sales of 30 dollars and below.

yeah i saw that but still crazy price

it's really odd that we can't seem to turn up any evidence of undercover

it reasons that if dirty work was released then undercover should have been too

might need to call in matt lee to solve this mysterywinking smiley

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 8, 2023 03:52

ProfessorWolf
ribbelchips
Hmm I looked around for about half an hour and no sign of a 8 track release of Undercover.. I found every other album, including live albums and compilations like Made in the Shade, Sucking in the Seventees and Still Life, but not Undercover...

[www.valueyourmusic.com]

Dirty Work is quite rare, but 85$ is a very high price. In the ebay sales listings you can find sales of 30 dollars and below.

yeah i saw that but still crazy price

it's really odd that we can't seem to turn up any evidence of undercover

it reasons that if dirty work was released then undercover should have been too

might need to call in matt lee to solve this mysterywinking smiley

I have every US Stones LP 8-track from Beggars thru Dirty Work except Goat's Head, Still Life, and Undercover, and come to think of it, I have never seen the latter 2, either!

In the U.S., eight-track cartridges were phased out of retail stores in late 1982 and early 1983. However, some titles were still available as eight-track tapes through Columbia House and RCA (BMG) Music Service Record Clubs until late 1988. See Wikipedia on 8-Track Cartridges

Perhaps my friend was referring to the cassette version of Undercover when he was talking about a different version of Pretty Beat Up.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 8, 2023 04:14

The cassette has a longer Wanna Hold You than the LP. I am unaware of Pretty Beat Up being different.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: March 8, 2023 07:37

Rumors of a longer version of PBU on cassette were already circulating shortly after the release of Undercover. I never found this version. Only the tape version of Wanna Hold You was interesting, as it was longer than on the lp. Subsequent CD's contain the long version. WHY by lp is now the exotic number. A long PBU would have found the way to the collectors in the last 40 years, imo. But, you never now...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2023 08:04

HOFFMAN -- Recording Index 1961-2016

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2023 10:24

Rockman

thanks

that pretty interesting

rockman does the above book mention anything about a different version of pretty beat up existing on a 8-track release?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2023 10:59

No No Professor ....

Checked Pretty Beat ....
No mention of different official release

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 8, 2023 11:12

stonesstein

I have every US Stones LP 8-track from Beggars thru Dirty Work except Goat's Head, Still Life, and Undercover, and come to think of it, I have never seen the latter 2, either

Still Life 8 track exists. Proof:

[www.valueyourmusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-08 11:13 by ribbelchips.

Date: March 8, 2023 11:28

Rockman

No No Professor ....

Checked Pretty Beat ....
No mention of different official release

ah rats!

thanks anyway rockman

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 8, 2023 15:00

Rockman

I do not want to question the information from this book, but Dieter Hoffmann in his previous Das Weissbuch (1991) provided different information regarding US CBS CD.

Here (Rockman's scans) it is stated that US CBS CD CK40504 (12/86) contains Wanna Hold You Version V with timing 3.13.
In Das Weissbuch (1991) on page 278 it is stated Version IV with timing 3.50.

To my best knowledge, all CBS CDs (no matter country of origin and year of edition) came with the same digital material. I.e., CBS CD that was made in the USA should have I Wanna Hold You IV, but not V (as stated in Recording Index 1961 - 2016).

PS. There were at least 3 different US released CK 40504
1. Early Sony's Digital Audio Disc Corp., Terre Haute, Indiana. Matrix DIDP 70287 11A8 (or similar, depending on the stampler code Ax). Apparently, in press from December 1986 till 1988.
2.Columbia Records, Pitman, New Jersey. Matrix 1A CK40504 05 CMU P28 or similar. This one was issued after 1988.
3. Late Sony's Digital Audio Disc Corp., Terre Haute, Indiana. Matrix DIDP-070287 3 * ** ***** (or similar). This is relatively late pressing, probably, post-1990.

Does anybody have CK 40504 CD in hands (as a physical product) to check? Hardly believe CBS in the USA was using 1983 EMI-Toshiba tape transfer / mastering to produce their CDs while 1986 CBS tape transfer / mastering for the rest of the world.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 8, 2023 16:31

ribbelchips
stonesstein

I have every US Stones LP 8-track from Beggars thru Dirty Work except Goat's Head, Still Life, and Undercover, and come to think of it, I have never seen the latter 2, either

Still Life 8 track exists. Proof:

[www.valueyourmusic.com]

Fabulous, and thank you so much for tracking this down!

I guess I was wrong to assume that Undercover was released on 8-track, but if it wasn't, then why release Dirty Work on 8-track, eh?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1965
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home