Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP John le Carré
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 14, 2020 03:15

Just passed. What a great writer. I've just been rediscovering his work. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is both a great read and movie. The Smiley series is very good.

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: OT: RIP John le Carré
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 14, 2020 11:18

Sad to read this last night.

In his books somehow an important cultural marker of the times during which he lived.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: December 14, 2020 13:48

Sad news. He was a master in writing. RIP

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2020 23:25

THE AGE -- 15 December 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ParachuteMan ()
Date: December 15, 2020 00:55

I was deeply saddened to learn about John le Carré’s passing. To me, he was by far the preeminent writer of our age – as much in a league of his own as man of letters as the Stones are as a rock band, if not more so. And this coming just a couple of weeks after the greatest football player of our time was laid to rest in the hands of God. A sad year indeed, this almost pushes COVID to the background. I can’t help but feel that there is something symbolic in the fact that le Carré left this world days before Brexit, which he abhorred, is to be sealed.
An unsurpassed master of unravelling the human condition, le Carré could condense in a single sentence a deeper understanding of people’s complexities, frailties and moral contradictions than other bestselling authors can achieve in their collected works. And yet, his books were always so intensely readable.
I thank David Cornwell from the bottom of my heart for all the life-enriching books that he has given us. May he rest in peace.

Penguin
The Guardian
Bibliography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-15 01:00 by ParachuteMan.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: December 15, 2020 07:40

Was a huge fan of his whilst I was lounging about around 6th and 7th grades. Loved his books, movies too.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 15, 2020 07:56

One of my favorite authors, I'm actually reading the Looking Glass War right now. So sad to hear this.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 16, 2020 11:00

Very sad news. He was a very good writer. He had a particular way to portray the spy world, with a certain type of dialogues and the use of certain jargon which was very effective. I was especially fond of A Perfect Spy. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Honourable Schoolboy are also very good. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold was also very good but I never dared to read it a second time because it was so sad and the plot was so evil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home