Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Other Stones news: Rolling Stones Strike Deal with BMG for Collection of Royalties on Their Songs
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 11, 2020 06:10

Another news piece I found on my Smart Phone today:

[www.showbiz411.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 06:13 by Sighunt.

Re: Other Stones news: Rolling Stones Strike Deal with BMG for Collection of Royalties on Their Songs
Date: December 11, 2020 08:00

Thank you for sharing! smileys with beer

Here’s the press release from bmg.com:

[www.bmg.com]

Re: Other Stones news: Rolling Stones Strike Deal with BMG for Collection of Royalties on Their Songs
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 11, 2020 08:44

Now that they no longer have to listen all day long to radio stations from all over the world to find out if their music is played somewhere out there, they might finally find the time to carry on with the new album! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 11, 2020 10:34

doitywoik
Now that they no longer have to listen all day long to radio stations from all over the world to find out if their music is played somewhere out there, they might finally find the time to carry on with the new album! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

No, please. No new album please. I know that many fans want a new album by The Stones, but listening to Living in a Ghost Town I just can't get used to this sound and those 'simple' lyrics. If the whole album is gonna sound like that, it's not Stones worthy! But hey, I'm a fan of the 1963 to 1976 period. ;-)

I prefer upgraded reissues with songs or live concerts from the vault. A decent box like for example Exile.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2020 11:09

Interesting news. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know that EMI Publishing is responsible for the material from 1971 to 1983, like ABKCO of the earlier stuff.

But now they added BMG to watch out the royalties both ABKCO and EMI are supposed to take care of. Sounds like the business is getting tougher and rougher, since there a need for such an entity... I wonder how much this is to do with the streaming business, which has so much changed the game in many ways.

- Doxa

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2020 02:46

The "current Stones" BMG deal is starts where the CBS Records deal the Stones signed in 1983.

Reading about EMI is a headache.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 12, 2020 23:33

doitywoik

Good one, doitywoik!! Funny!!

plexi

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2020 20:17

Stones songs on the radio (that I have heard where I live over the last 20 years or so):

The Last Time
Satisfaction
Get Off My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Paint It Black
Under My Thumb
Let's Spend The Night Together
Ruby Tuesday
She's A Rainbow
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Tumbling Dice
Happy
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Shattered
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Waiting On A Friend

Ain't Too Proud To Beg, She's So Cold, Hang Fire and Waiting On A Friend I've only heard a handful of times. I have NEVER heard anything post-TATTOO YOU. The one classic rock radio station where I live a majority of those songs get played quite often throughout a month (when I listen, anyway), with Paint It Black, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Sympathy For The Devil, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), Miss You, Beast Of Burden, Shattered and Start Me Up being heard the most.

Maybe Mick gets a few spread sheets from regions of radio play and it's quite easy to to thing that they generally have those songs on it.

The last few years I've heard Whole Lotta Love, Rock'N'Roll, Stairway To Heaven, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, When The Levee Breaks, The Ocean, Trampled Under Foot and Kashmir the most often. I know a lot more get played than those because probably 50 Zep songs get played on Two For Tuesdays etc and it's always hyped as The Led Zeppelin Station or whatever.

Bizarrely, gargantuanly less with The Beatles - Strawberry Fields, A Day In The Life, Hey Jude and Let It Be are the four I seem to only ever hear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-13 20:33 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 14, 2020 13:50

Does that means that BMG have better ways than others to monitor every time a rolling stones is played anywhere in the world? Are there places in the world where Cies like BMG don't have the authority to claim publishing rights for their clients? What is the improvement with signing with BMG for the Stones?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: December 14, 2020 14:35

rollmops
Does that means that BMG have better ways than others to monitor every time a rolling stones is played anywhere in the world? Are there places in the world where Cies like BMG don't have the authority to claim publishing rights for their clients? What is the improvement with signing with BMG for the Stones?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Those are also kind of questions I'd like to know the answers. Technically ABKCO and EMI Publishing should take care of that monitoring all over the world (the material between 1963 and 1983) and mechanically pay The Stones/Mick and Keith the royalties. But now BMG is out there checking also that period, and not just their own (from 1983 on). Does that mean that ABKCO and EMI are doing a lousy job, or do the Stones/The Twins think that ABKCO and EMI are not quite honest in paying the royalties for them?

I don't think they did this new deal just for fun, so there needs to be some real business reasons for it.

What goes for places in the world not any of these companies having the authority for publishing rights, well, my quess, no matter the globalisation, there are markets that are pretty wild - or 'free' if you like - still... Another thing is how economically important that is. But, of course, it could be that BMG knows something also in this sense that, say, ABKCO and EMI don't.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-14 14:36 by Doxa.

Date: December 14, 2020 14:47

GasLightStreet
Stones songs on the radio (that I have heard where I live over the last 20 years or so):

The Last Time
Satisfaction
Get Off My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Paint It Black
Under My Thumb
Let's Spend The Night Together
Ruby Tuesday
She's A Rainbow
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Tumbling Dice
Happy
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Shattered
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Waiting On A Friend

Dammit, that's a pretty definitive chronological Rolling Stones greatest hits collection you constructed here. Nicely covering the two halves by 16 songs each. Makes both ABKCO and EMI happy (but BMG, the losers, notgrinning smiley)... Probably adding "As Tears Go By" between "Get Off of My Cloud" and "19th Nervous Breakdown" plus "Fool To Cry" between IORR and SOME GIRLS songs, and that's it...

- Doxa

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 14, 2020 16:35

In the 80's, I had a friend who worked for SACEM(France)It was the Cie that was in charge of collecting the money from music publishing rights. My friend told me that part of his job was to go to places that played music on a sound system for their customers, bars, restaurants, clubs and also concerts. He would go and pick up the playlist of all the songs played that day. Then the Cie responsability was to redistribute the money to the authors& composers. Nowadays everything must be done with computers. Maybe it's more accurate and hopefully not only the most popular songs get rewarded.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home