Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Where CDs go to die
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 10, 2020 16:26

Who knew they still have a purpose after being exiled from our lives? Myself, I have gotten back into pulling CDs off the shelf and rediscovering them, albums and self made compilations I hadn't listened to in ages.

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: OT: Where CDs go to die
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 10, 2020 16:35

I suppose they'll always have a place; even cassette's do. Although, I don't believe the format will have a renaissance like the L.P.

Blue & Lonesome was my final CD purchase; though, I did recently transfer some dusty CD's to i-Tunes. Actually, i-Tunes is pretty antiquated these day's, too. I'm not sure when I'll succumb to streaming.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 10, 2020 17:00

I saw them being used as headlights on a car in the Dominican Republic.

true story....

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 10, 2020 17:34

I'll never stop using 'em. If streaming's the future then I start again with the LP:s but I won't have much space with all the guitars, amps, books and other stuff laying around. Ya must be able to smell the music!

Date: December 10, 2020 17:39

I still have an 8 track player that works.

I only have two tapes to play in it but it still works.

So does my cassette player and my turntable I have had since 1981.

CD's are not obsolete yet.

The neighbors behind hang their old CD's around their garden to deter animals.

Date: December 10, 2020 17:39

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: December 10, 2020 17:43

georgemcdonnell314

I wonder if my old 8-track player works. I wonder if I still have that Some Girls 8-track tape.
I'll have to check next time I visit my parents.
My old tape player and turntable for sure still work, though the CD player over there is a six-disc tray that is a pain in the butt. But it does work.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 10, 2020 18:05

I love CDs. Please feel free to send any ya don't want this way. (Will be glad to post email address, if anyone wants it).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2020 23:24

I still like to make my own mixes of songs on CDs. I liked making mixes on cassette tapes better, because you could be more creative. Pot a song up or down. Insert little bits of recording from television.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 11, 2020 01:05

Yeah, send em all to me! I will love them and take care of them as I do all my wabbits!

[url=

][/url]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 01:11 by shadooby.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 11, 2020 01:16

Oh, poor Daffy. My favorite Warner Brothers cartoon character.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 11, 2020 02:43

Hard core types can convert the songs into the lossless FLAC format and then play them off of some fanless computer box.

No more dreaded CD player motor noise!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 11, 2020 03:18

>Pot a song up or down. Insert little bits of recording from television.

Dont see why you cannot do that with cds. Use something like soundforge to create your full length file and you can mix and match sound sources much easier than you could doing cassette tapes. Add track breaks if you want them (something impossible in cassettes unless you want dead quiet between tracks) and burn that sucker! instant mix tape.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 11, 2020 03:31

I'm only buying CDs (Amazon with free download when available) from just a handful of artists. I mostly stream music on Spotify now (and some on Amazon) that I already own on CD anyway because Google screwed everything up in that regard. My CDs... I talked to a place that sells CDs, vinyl, books, DVDs, Blu-rays, games et and... unless they are well known artists they don't want them.

They're not exactly in the way but they are collecting dust.

I've thought that an empty shelf is of no purpose so if they collect dust at least something is.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 11, 2020 03:42

CDs sound great and are technically sound as far as the implementation goes. They have been given a bad rap. They sound better than standard streaming.

It's the old cliche, people can't tell the difference between a CD and some other high-res over-sampled source when given a blind test.

Poor old Neil Young is still licking his wounds.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 11, 2020 09:49

jbwelda

Dont see why you cannot do that with cds. Use something like soundforge to create your full length file and you can mix and match sound sources much easier than you could doing cassette tapes. Add track breaks if you want them (something impossible in cassettes unless you want dead quiet between tracks) and burn that sucker! instant mix tape.

jb

That would not work. Making mixtapes I used to go song by song, always taking a look at which snippet of what was on the tape before would follow, which would influence my decision what could follow that, leaving the snippet in there. Mindblowing results

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2020 10:41

Let's say I have never been a fan of CDs. I have purchased them quite a lot of during the years, but they were just bought for use, once necessary vehicles to listen stuff, but ugly artifacts that come and go, not something to collect or treated as pieces of art or anything like I once saw vinyls. For me collecting records ended the day I stopped buying vinyls. The last one was MAIN OFFENDER back in 1992. I recall the local record megastore needed to order the bloody vinyl version especially for me, since they didn't have any vinyls available any longer, just CDs. That was it, I made my decision, and have not looked back ever since...

I still have my beloved vinyl collection - the one young Doxa put all his savings, school stipends and pocket money to - in one place, but as far as CDs go, most of them are lost, broken, given to friends or all over the place. Don't really care. The last one I bought was BLUE & LONESOME (can't recall where even that one is...)

So music is totally non-material for me these days. No need to own anything, just listen... such a relief..grinning smiley.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 10:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 11, 2020 12:40

stickyfingers101
I saw them being used as headlights on a car in the Dominican Republic.

true story....

That rings a bell ... I remember seeing a photo where the outside of a car was completely made up from CDs. A shame I can't remember when and where.
CDs, they are small enough to keep going for a long time. Sony once made mini CDs about a quarter of the popular CD size. But that format didn't make it. To me that "proves" that people are happy with the CD as it is. My grandchildren don't have CDs though. They have all the options that Internet offers (YouTube, Streaming, etc., etc.,). But maybe one day they might become interested in old(er) sound carriers. I know people that have a patophone and listen to those very heavy wax records ... (a pity my granddad's patophone ended up as garbage some 50+ years ago when he passed away and my grandmom dumped it).
smileys with beer

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: December 11, 2020 17:33

I find it odd how cds went almost from zero to hero and bac again. Vinyl lps have become the premium product. I like physical music... as it makes you listen to the songs as intended.. there is space for cds and lps not sure about cassettes as the sound seems to deteriorate....

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 13, 2020 01:44

love cd.s and vinyl and youtube

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2020 01:50

Use ta hear some guys moaning and sookin'
about the price of CD's now they pay double
for vinyl and some of it's ran off old vinyl ....
HHHHaaaa ya call that clever

They also forget that CD's opened up a whole world
of bonus tracks... outtakes etc from many artists ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2020 02:22

Took me 10 years or so to jump on the cd bandwagon as I attempted to remain "old school" and pretty much stuck in my old ways in to the '90's.
But then there was a release I just HAD to have which was only available on cd at the time, so I tentatively made the plunge and bought it.
From there, bought a boombox that played cd's (along w/my old cassettes), and I was sort of beginning to like what was happening and what I was experiencing.
Then I bought a multi-cd player for my car, and the rest is history...the convenience factor, the nice sound, the "compact" format, etc., etc....
Haven't been able to live without them, but still have a #1 fondness for vinyl and will buy when available, but gets expensive having to buy certain items in multiple formats.
I haven't advanced or evolved to mp3 or any other of that other newfangled garbage yet (lol), but eventually I probably will, and will realize I've been living in the dark ages all these years.
But by the time I ever get around to taking that next plunge into the next level, there will probably be something even newer I'll have to ponder and deal with!
Meanwhile; sorting and reorganizing the old cassette collection - over a thousand of them - home made mix tapes along with official releases...and still love them all.

PS - I've found that old/scratchy obsolete cd's make great targets for the BB gun.thumbs up

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 13, 2020 03:35

Nikkei
jbwelda

jb

That would not work. Making mixtapes I used to go song by song, always taking a look at which snippet of what was on the tape before would follow, which would influence my decision what could follow that, leaving the snippet in there. Mindblowing results

That makes absolutely zero sense to me. Whatever goofy way you made your mixtapes, you can do the same thing preparing a file to write to a cd. Maybe we do not speak the same language and I am missing something here, but I do not think so.

"Mindblowing results"? Somehow that seems equally far fetched.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2020 03:49

..... maybe Nikkei was suckin
on some blottin paper while working .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2020 03:54

Hairball
Took me 10 years or so to jump on the cd bandwagon as I attempted to remain "old school" and pretty much stuck in my old ways in to the '90's.
But then there was a release I just HAD to have which was only available on cd at the time, so I tentatively made the plunge and bought it.
From there, bought a boombox that played cd's (along w/my old cassettes), and I was sort of beginning to like what was happening and what I was experiencing.
Then I bought a multi-cd player for my car, and the rest is history...the convenience factor, the nice sound, the "compact" format, etc., etc....
Haven't been able to live without them, but still have a #1 fondness for vinyl and will buy when available, but gets expensive having to buy certain items in multiple formats.
I haven't advanced or evolved to mp3 or any other of that other newfangled garbage yet (lol), but eventually I probably will, and will realize I've been living in the dark ages all these years.
But by the time I ever get around to taking that next plunge into the next level, there will probably be something even newer I'll have to ponder and deal with!
Meanwhile; sorting and reorganizing the old cassette collection - over a thousand of them - home made mix tapes along with official releases...and still love them all.

PS - I've found that old/scratchy obsolete cd's make great targets for the BB gun.thumbs up

HA HA! I get it. One day I wanted to hear something and I wasn't near my CD player. I was near the sound system for my laptop. So I plugged my phone in, pulled up whatever it was on Google Play, and...

Not every listening to music experience needs the high fidelity of (enter format here) because when it comes just to listening to something while doing whatever, well, mp3 or Spotify etc works just fine. And it makes the physical record listening experience that much sweeter.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 14, 2020 14:34

Hairball

Haha, that's me right there!

I'm a lifer...I still burn CDs and buy them...will be going for a walk this afternoon and buying a CD I spotted the other day.

Date: December 14, 2020 20:31

ChrisL
georgemcdonnell314

I wonder if my old 8-track player works. I wonder if I still have that Some Girls 8-track tape.
My old tape player and turntable for sure still work, though the CD player over there is a six-disc tray that is a pain in the butt. But it does work.

Ironically the only two 8 track tapes I have are Some Girls and Pink Floyd Animals.

Isn't Beast of Burden a little longer on the 8 track than the album?

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: December 14, 2020 21:47

georgemcdonnell314
ChrisL
georgemcdonnell314

Ironically the only two 8 track tapes I have are Some Girls and Pink Floyd Animals.

Isn't Beast of Burden a little longer on the 8 track than the album?

Yes, someone posted in the buy/sell forum a little while ago ...

[iorr.org]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 14, 2020 23:39

I recently got a little CD player that hangs on the wall, and I put it over my CD rack. I wish it had a visible track display, but other than that it's been a good decision. I like CD's. I enjoyed cassettes as well and I liked making mix tapes. Almost as much fun as getting a good new CD was the anticipation of making a mix tape version frontloaded with my favorite tracks. It was great getting in my car the next day for a drive and popping in a new mixtape of new songs.

Date: December 14, 2020 23:49

I use to love doing the same thing. I still have a bunch of the cassettes I made maybe I should listen to them. Just to get a feel for the times.

jahisnotdead
I recently got a little CD player that hangs on the wall, and I put it over my CD rack. I wish it had a visible track display, but other than that it's been a good decision. I like CD's. I enjoyed cassettes as well and I liked making mix tapes. Almost as much fun as getting a good new CD was the anticipation of making a mix tape version frontloaded with my favorite tracks. It was great getting in my car the next day for a drive and popping in a new mixtape of new songs.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home