Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Most Interesting Chord Progression in a Stones song...
Posted by: obonpaxis ()
Date: December 15, 2020 00:41

Dandelion - I like how the chorus resolves differently each time.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 17, 2020 16:12

MonkeyMan2000

But what I can't wrap my head around is how Gimme Shelter can sound this good with three consecutive major chords descending by one step. It would make sense with the root being a minor chord like in All Along The Watchtower, but it's so weird that it's written in major...That might come from the Blues and it's infamous dualism of the 3rd.

This is a really good point; I had never really noticed the oddity of it before. He does it the conventional way, beginning with a minor, on “One Hit”: Bm A G.

The reason I think the all-major cadence works so beautifully on “Gimme Shelter” is the way he adds a -sus to every chord. By design, the -sus notes create a pleasant instability. Also, Keith chose to add a sharp-four when he gets to the A chord — that’s tension, not just instability.

As always, his ears were right, even if the theory was unusual!

Date: December 17, 2020 16:29

<the way he adds a -sus to every chord>

And the last chord in the sequence gets a somewhat different sus added, which makes it brilliant.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 17, 2020 17:25

nonfilter
I’ve always found Torn and Frayed interesting. It sort of changes keys every other line.

From memory, it goes something like

D>>A>>E>D
A>>G>>D

G>>D>>G for the "and you'll sing your heart away" part

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: December 17, 2020 17:36

All About You and How Can I Stop.
I learned both to play an sing and they have interesting chords and changes. And: You don't realize it emediatly. Very nice! Like great compsitions are.
The Beatles were masters of interesting progressions, which you don't realize emediatly. They sound smooth. Like And I Love Her. You can find a half tone upstep, starting with the instrumental part.
Stones Numbers with interesting progressions like Melody or She Smiled Sweetly come to.my mind as well. 100 Years Ago has some nice turns at the end.
Lady Jane is intetesting as well. Not the chords itself but the melody, which is first sung and then repeated by the dulcimer, while the progresdion goes on. In the instrumental part you ply the guitar/dulcimer part over the first part like the sung part. Thats beautifull.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 19, 2020 00:35

Oh Carol

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 11:55

hopkins
Oh Carol

Yes!
The Chuck Berry style is not very easy to play.
This theme vould have its own thread.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home