Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: STEEL WHEELS on SHM CD
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 10, 2020 19:35

WorriedAboutYou
You Got Me Rockin' their very worst song on record.

I never understood why YGMR has gotten so much hate on this forum. I'd never shun someone for their dislike of a song but to call it their worst song on record? That's just not true at all.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 10, 2020 20:21

JordyLicks96
WorriedAboutYou

I never understood why YGMR has gotten so much hate on this forum. I'd never shun someone for their dislike of a song but to call it their worst song on record? That's just not true at all.

It's like something KISS or Poison would come up with. Just the most banal, uninteresting, brain-dead and tedious slog imaginable. I find it excruciating and deeply irritating to sit through - Love Is Strong was an amazing lead song which made YGMR even more of a comedown. Just awful.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2020 21:51

JordyLicks96
WorriedAboutYou

I don't get this, either. Hell, I even like the extended remix. It's one of the few Post-Wyman recordings to be commended.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 10, 2020 22:06

I do not know why YGMR came here. The original topic was about Steel Wheels.
BTW that new transfer and SHM CD just gave marginal improvement to the sound. The old CBS CD is the way to listen to that album (IMHO).

MileHigh
I had no idea what "SHM CD" was.

<<< SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) is a superior quality CD fully compatible with all CD players. SHM-CD utilizes a polycarbonate material originally developed for LCD screens, and the enhanced transparency of the SHM-CD results in more clarity, depth and definition of sound, bringing the listener ever closer to the music of the original master. >>>

Lies! Lies! Lies!
Listening to CD involves both CD (as a media) and player. SHM CD generally contains less number of errors to be corrected. Thus, error correction mechanism/algorithm will be less active during playback. This will result in better sound. However, I am positive that one will mention the difference on good HiFi system only.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2020 23:22

ironbelly
BTW that new transfer and SHM CD just gave marginal improvement to the sound. The old CBS CD is the way to listen to that album (IMHO).

MileHigh

<<< SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) is a superior quality CD fully compatible with all CD players. SHM-CD utilizes a polycarbonate material originally developed for LCD screens, and the enhanced transparency of the SHM-CD results in more clarity, depth and definition of sound, bringing the listener ever closer to the music of the original master. >>>

Lies! Lies! Lies!
Listening to CD involves both CD (as a media) and player. SHM CD generally contains less number of errors to be corrected. Thus, error correction mechanism/algorithm will be less active during playback. This will result in better sound. However, I am positive that one will mention the difference on good HiFi system only.

It sounds better than the CBS CD, which I always thought of as a little flat. 'Blinded by Love' is maybe flatter on the SHM CD than the CBS one. I was suprised. In fact the reason I got it on SHM CD was because I always felt the original CBS CD was inferior.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: December 10, 2020 23:54

floodonthepage
I too enjoy Steel Wheel more than Voodoo Lounge, Bridges or Bigger Bang. All of those albums have moments, but I could really just burn favorites from VL, BtB and BB onto one disc (maybe 'Voodoo Babylon Bang'!), whereas Steel Wheels I can listen to all the way through.

I agree, Steel Wheels might have been a good final statement, especially with 'Slipping Away' at the end.

Though having 'Stripped' and 'Blue and Lonesome' is great, just as love letters to the past and to the blues.

In between Steel Wheels and Blue and Lonesome they could have come out with scattered singles and I'd have been alright with that, in hindsight. I guess Voodoo, Bridges and Bang are bonus though and nice to have. Like DVD extras. cool smiley

Ha! I have a playlist called "Voodoo Bridges Bang". I made one album out of it all:

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Driving Too Fast
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Out of Control
Saint of Me
New Faces
I Go Wild
Rough Justice
It Won't Take Long
Already Over Me
Laugh, I Nearly Died

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 11, 2020 00:23

No love for Slippin away? I’ve always liked this song, some of the recent live performances with mick Taylor were really nice, some on YouTube are lovely.

For me it showed what could’ve been with the 3 guitars with Taylor just bein part of the band rather than the MR/CYHMK approach (which I also love). But that’s for another thread.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2020 00:30

Lets face it - 90% of the latter era is completely forgettable. It's so bad even the Stones themselves have disowned it for the most part.
Occasionally they'll play one such as Out of Control and/or during Keith's set Slipping Away (both decent tunes), but it's no mystery why none of them have become warhorses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 00:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 11, 2020 01:14

This thread got me to go back and listen to the album. Now, as of today, can't say I like as many songs on it as I once did, but some still stand out. Almost Hear You Sigh is still one of the most beautiful ballads they've ever done. Slippin' Away is very good and listening to it today I caught the Al Green vibe in it, similar to the Green vibe on Make No Mistake from KR's Talk Is Cheap. Terrifying is just flat out cool from Jagger's vocals to the guitars, horns and jazz improv feel to it. Everything in this song just flows. It makes me wonder why the Stones didn't follow their/that wild muse, for want of a better term, creating new musical landscapes on subsequent albums instead of settling for what I call formula sound. This is not to just carp on the Stones - too many folks in music and the arts settle for formula, it seems, after a point.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 11, 2020 01:23

Steel Wheels...the best since Some Girls before it.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 11, 2020 03:38

ironbelly

MileHigh

Lies! Lies! Lies!

You present what sounds like a plausible but improbable solution. I don't know the specifics on the error correction. But I am going to guess that in the vast majority of cases the error correction returns the true bit image. Also, for a typical properly cared for CD, error correction is not an issue. I was quite surprised when seeing a clip on YouTube from about 1982 that demonstrated the error correction. They made several gouges in the plastic with a knife and the CD still played perfectly.

Even if you are right about the error correction, it's highly improbable that the sound of the playback can take on the attributes that the SHM marketing claims state. Correcting a single sample in a 44 KHz bit stream will not be audible.

It's almost certainly snake oil.

You have heard about Solar Freakin' Roadways, right?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 11, 2020 04:41

Hairball
Lets face it - 90% of the latter era is completely forgettable. It's so bad even the Stones themselves have disowned it for the most part.
Occasionally they'll play one such as Out of Control and/or during Keith's set Slipping Away (both decent tunes), but it's no mystery why none of them have become warhorses.

There certainly is a bookend to what they do, which is between 1965-1981.

Maybe for them, well, Mick mostly, 1983-2005 is the house that is loved that had the big tree out front that defined the swirl of life fall down. The house is still there but now it's more about memories: all of those albums sold well enough - hell, they bothered to make them - but they are all missing something that Mick pointed out in A LIFE ON THE ROAD (or was it ACCORDING TO...?):

Patina.

They never will get it. The river shifted so much that the fish just didn't come back. A few stragglers got through (You Got Me Rocking, Out Of Control) but that's it.

Because of what happened after TATTOO YOU that version of the band, the working band, ceased to exist as it had. They caught the MTV wave with UNDERCOVER and then someone figured something out (other than the end of the record deal) and smartly put out REWIND.

Done!

They stopped playing the songs. A lot of tours they kept some songs from the previous tour(s) in, with one exception that I can think of: nothing from BLACK AND BLUE stayed in.

That stopped. Nothing from the STEEL WHEELS tours stayed. Only one from the VOODOO tour has appeared quite regularly. Nothing from BRIDGES stayed.

At least on those tours they kept plugging more songs in from their albums as the tours progressed. With the BANG tour, by a rather large number of the last leg or two of the tour they had reduced it to two songs.

Not very convincing. Nothing since then, of course. Don't Stop got one tour. Doom And Gloom got three tours, BLUE AND LONESOME tracks got two tours, but those tours are not anything like the tours of the past so they didn't played a lot.

No matter how any fans love from U through ABB, the Stones will never see them in the light of the 1965-1981 singles and LPs - and rightfully so. That ship sailed a long time ago and they've been riding around the world on it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home