Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
STEEL WHEELS on SHM CD
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2020 10:12

After listening to Steel Wheels on SHM, I realize it really was the end of the Golden Era studio Stones. It was one of their more adventurous works, representing a mature sound. Never again would they stretch out so far on one disc. From hard rock, jazz, country, and even a return to psychedelia, this was the true ending of the giants.

The SHM CD really brings out the instrumentation on songs like 'Terrifying'. I even could sit through half of 'Sad, Sad, Sad'. There is no standout cut, no A level single, but overall it's a satisfying effort, reaching heights they would never again approach.

Re: STEEL WHEELS on SHM CD
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2020 11:45

I've always had a soft spot for Steel Wheels. Until borrowing it from the local library, my only exposure to the Stones was through my dad's handful of Decca LP's and 45's. I really had no idea how they'd sound. I remember being reassuringly impressed upon hearing Sad Sad Sad. Overall, obviously, it isn't a classic, but I do feel it's a solid-enough effort. It was the start of a new era: an era that ended with A Bigger Bang and the accompanying tour.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 9, 2020 12:07

24FPS
After listening to Steel Wheels on SHM, I realize it really was the end of the Golden Era studio Stones. It was one of their more adventurous works, representing a mature sound. Never again would they stretch out so far on one disc. From hard rock, jazz, country, and even a return to psychedelia, this was the true ending of the giants.

The SHM CD really brings out the instrumentation on songs like 'Terrifying'. I even could sit through half of 'Sad, Sad, Sad'. There is no standout cut, no A level single, but overall it's a satisfying effort, reaching heights they would never again approach.

thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: December 9, 2020 14:08

Voodoo Lounge is by far a better album and most would agree.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2020 14:26

stone4ever

I don't think that's the point. It's more about the sculpting of the album. VOODOO LOUNGE is very loose but it's also quite lazy with some horrific songs. STEEL WHEELS is very focused, it's a rather wound up tight album with a lot of clean playing - not tonal, just straight and precise.

Even though SW was done in a short amount of time there was a lot of decision making happening with that record. With VL it was more open and less decision making, more like BLACK AND BLUE, where as SW is, in this case, akin to SOME GIRLS.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: December 9, 2020 15:16

I always felt like SW (with a few of their tracks- particularly Mixed Emotions) was a nod to some of their classic styles and tone. I always enjoy this album thumbs up

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 9, 2020 15:41

I had no idea what "SHM CD" was.

<<< SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) is a superior quality CD fully compatible with all CD players. SHM-CD utilizes a polycarbonate material originally developed for LCD screens, and the enhanced transparency of the SHM-CD results in more clarity, depth and definition of sound, bringing the listener ever closer to the music of the original master. >>>

Lies! Lies! Lies!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 9, 2020 16:52

Which SHM-CD are you talking about ? There are so many of them with at least 2 different masterings.

The SHM-CD's issued in 2009, 2010 an 2011 all use the Universal 2009 remaster (which is very loud).
2009 : [www.discogs.com]
2010 : [www.discogs.com]
2011 : [www.discogs.com]

The SHM-CD issued in 2015 has a different mastering which according to what's written on the "obi" is sourced from the "DSD master" (most likely the original Ted Jensen mastering but with less dynamic range, ie louder).
2015 Regular SHM-CD : [www.discogs.com]
2015 "Platinum SHM-CD" version : [www.discogs.com]

btw, to me the best version on CD remains the original 1989 CD (the 1989 Japanese CD is my favorite) with the 1998 Bob Ludwig remastering and the 2015 SHM CD being "interesting" variations. The 2009 remastering should be avoided as it alters (ruins?) too much the original sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-09 16:58 by kowalski.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:00

kowalski

Which SHM-CD are you talking about ?

Probably the UICY-79250 (miniLP Cardboard-Sleeve) - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.jpc.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] - (4-Dec-2020, 2015 DSD-Master).

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:16

GasLightStreet
stone4ever

I don't think that's the point. It's more about the sculpting of the album. VOODOO LOUNGE is very loose but it's also quite lazy with some horrific songs. STEEL WHEELS is very focused, it's a rather wound up tight album with a lot of clean playing - not tonal, just straight and precise.

Even though SW was done in a short amount of time there was a lot of decision making happening with that record. With VL it was more open and less decision making, more like BLACK AND BLUE, where as SW is, in this case, akin to SOME GIRLS.

I'd go along with all that, and should add i really like Steel Wheels, i just don't think it's as good to listen to as VL, i think VL hits you harder and touches the emotions in a more memorable way, SW is more Stones by numbers than VL, to my mind VL was the last Stones Studio album of originals that i go back to and play a lot over the years, it's the last Mick & Keith collaboration writing, playing and singing in harmony together.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:21

The guitar playing on Terrifying is the last truly sublime playing on a Stones album for me. They never recorded anything as effortlessly tasteful or as atmospheric as this track again.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:21

Steel Wheels is the album which came out when I started to be a Stones fan, so it has something special to me. I still listen to it from time to time, and it has some great moments. The variety of styles on the record is remarkable indeed.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:33

Steel Wheels has aged better than expected. I prefer Voodoo Lounge to Steel Wheels but everuthing 24FPS said was spot on. A more mature sound and they kind have ridden that sound all the way to Living in a Ghost Town in 2020.

On a side note, Bridges to Babylon which I never cared for when it came out has surprisingly aged better than expected. Still not a great album but also not as bad as it's reputation may dictate.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:39

STEEL WHEELS felt like a comeback. A band that was nearing the end in the mid-80's returned with an album and tour that felt more or less like a reunion of sorts. If anything, VOODOO LOUNGE was more of Stones by the numbers album. With that album they went back to their roots where SW, as MJ said at the time was The Rolling Stones in 1989. SW has a few clunkers, as does VL and pretty much every latter day Stones album, but it does have its highlights that have stood the test of time.

Date: December 9, 2020 17:45

Far fewer clunkers than Voodoo Lounge, which is just an inconsistent and unstructured album and contains some of their very worst songs, indeed with You Got Me Rockin' their very worst song on record. Steel Wheels is a more deliberate, focussed album and a much more satisfying listen.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:55

I agree with Bill Wyman who said that with Steel Wheels, everything the Stones could artistically say was done and that there was nothing left to add.

Back then, after the disappointing 80's, I saw Steel Wheels as a return to form, as the start of a new era with more top albums to come. But in fact, although I did not agree with Wyman at the time, he was right - Steel Wheels was the final statement of this band with echoes of former glory.

Everything that came after Steel Wheels did not add anything, in fact endless repetition set in, not withstanding a few, maybe one handful of truly remarkable tracks in all those 30 years after Steel Wheels. Just certain tracks, but no entire album that was listenable from start to finish. Steel Wheels was the last one. At least for me. Wyman was right.

If Steel Wheels was their last album, it would have been a fitting finale. What more can one possibly expect from this band?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-09 18:04 by retired_dog.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 9, 2020 18:53

I too enjoy Steel Wheel more than Voodoo Lounge, Bridges or Bigger Bang. All of those albums have moments, but I could really just burn favorites from VL, BtB and BB onto one disc (maybe 'Voodoo Babylon Bang'!), whereas Steel Wheels I can listen to all the way through.

I agree, Steel Wheels might have been a good final statement, especially with 'Slipping Away' at the end.

Though having 'Stripped' and 'Blue and Lonesome' is great, just as love letters to the past and to the blues.

In between Steel Wheels and Blue and Lonesome they could have come out with scattered singles and I'd have been alright with that, in hindsight. I guess Voodoo, Bridges and Bang are bonus though and nice to have. Like DVD extras. cool smiley

Date: December 9, 2020 19:03

I really like SW! With "Highwire" and "Fancyman Blues" instead of "Terrifying" and "Can't be seen" it would have been a great album.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: December 9, 2020 19:27

Highwire! Only reason I ever bust out the Flashpoint CD!

Date: December 9, 2020 19:29

TumblinDice76

It would have been a great SW first single!

Date: December 9, 2020 19:37

KRiffhard
TumblinDice76

Wasn’t Highwire recorded after the completion of the Urban Jungle Tour, though?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 9, 2020 20:50

Big Al

"Recorded January 1991" - Wikipedia , [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix - Session List).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2020 21:35

stone4ever

Voodoo Lounge is a conscious attempt to 'sound like the classic Stones'. It is the beginning of echoing back to past glory that continued with A Bigger Bang.

Date: December 9, 2020 22:46

Big Al
KRiffhard
TumblinDice76

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 9, 2019 18:06
Well they certainly both started with Mick. His playing the opening riff is a dead certain sign with "Highwire." Somewhere in my head, I thought Mick stated in 1991 that "Highwire" was built up from an unfinished song from PRIMITIVE COOL. The lyrical quote from "Get Up, Stand Up" is likely Keith's doing (likewise the decision to bring Spike Stent in, given his Marley connection). The middle bit with the three guitars is a nice call back to "Whip Comes Down" and "Just My Imagination."

Rocky you were right!!!!thumbs up

"According to Jagger, the music for “High Wire” dates back to pre-Steel Wheels days: “It was one of those things that I played for people, but no one seemed to pick up on it.” The tune got a new lease on life when the Stones decided to record a brand-new studio track for the live album. “I didn’t know if it was going to come off,” Jagger admitted, “whether it was anything that anyone would want to hear. But it really just sounds like the Rolling Stones.”
Jagger wrote the lyrics at the end of December, as talk of an impending gulf war started to heat up, and the Stones cut “High Wire” during the second week of January, shortly before the bombs started falling in Baghdad"
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-09 22:51 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2020 23:39

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 10, 2020 02:18

WorriedAboutYou
Far fewer clunkers than Voodoo Lounge, which is just an inconsistent and unstructured album and contains some of their very worst songs, indeed with You Got Me Rockin' their very worst song on record. Steel Wheels is a more deliberate, focussed album and a much more satisfying listen.

Personally You Got Me Rocking is not their worst song on record (oddly they made it much more palatable on the BRIDGES tour and what's on NO SECURITY is actually pretty good). They did that a few times a couple times later and some a bit earlier as well.

Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Terrifying
Hold On To Your Hat
Hearts For Sale
Blinded By Love
Rock And A Hard Place
Can't Be Seen

Almost Hear You Sigh
Continental Drift
Break The Spell
Slipping Away

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly

The Worst
New Faces
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild
Brand New Car
Sweethearts Together
Suck On The Jugular
Blinded By Rainbows
Baby Break It Down
Thru And Thru

Date: December 10, 2020 10:45

Hold On To Your Hat is the only filler to me on Steel Wheels, the rest is excellent and I just can't imagine the album without Continental Drift and Hard Place. Can't Be Seen is at least as good as Before They Make Me Run and features some killer guitar playing.

Voodoo Lounge, though, oof. I think the only keepers are Love Is Strong and Thru and Thru, they are the real standouts on a a really confused and somehow generic sounding album. Even the song titles are kind of cheesy.

Date: December 10, 2020 11:01

Voodoo Lounge, in my opinion, suffers in the same way many albums of the 90's suffer: it's overlong. There was this seemingly conscious effort to fill the CD, as if it's something that had to be done.

I like Voodoo Lounge; there's just a little too much filler.

Date: December 10, 2020 12:28

Big Al
Voodoo Lounge, in my opinion, suffers in the same way many albums of the 90's suffer: it's overlong. There was this seemingly conscious effort to fill the CD, as if it's something that had to be done.

I like Voodoo Lounge; there's just a little too much filler.

Let's try "this" Voodoo Lounge...and you have a great album:

Love is strong
So Young
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Five Strings Riffin' (as YGMR intro!)
[youtu.be]
You Got Me Rocking
alt. version: [youtu.be]
Brand New Car
alt.version: [youtu.be]
You Got it Made
Cocaine Blues
I Go Wild
alt. version [youtu.be]
The Storm

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-10 12:32 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2020 12:33

WorriedAboutYou
You Got Me Rockin' their very worst song on record.

Mick would disagree with you as he loves to sing that song : he knows it's the only track in their post-89 production that can make an entire stadium crowd go wild.

As for SW : the super-finely tuned sound has made sure the album aged badly and sounds dated, very 80's. The songs themselves are pretty good and "Hearts For Sale" is a gem.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home