Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Darryl Jones wants full member status
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 9, 2020 21:29

Keith is pretty woke. He has a better understand of the meaning of 'black' than his critics.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2020 21:38

emotionalbarbecue
Thankfully this issue has never not been raised about to C. Leavell...

Do you think that's because he's a keyboard player, and as such a keyboard player has never been considered a 'real' Rolling Stone?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2020 22:08

wonderboy
Keith is pretty woke. He has a better understand of the meaning of 'black' than his critics.

I’m not sure about that, necessarily. He likes his old blues records and is friends with Steve Jordan. I’m not sure how many seventy-something’s from Kent would consider themselves to be woke. It’s an annoying term, anyway.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 9, 2020 23:13

stickyfingers101

the Atlantic System was where globalized trade and the birth of industrialized capitalism met slavery....as a result, it was a scale and a level of brutality never before seen in human history.

Are you serious? Open an History book and you'll see the Atlantic System was a mere footnote in the book of human cruelty. Google "Thirty Years' War" to know what I mean.
Where did you learn History? Evergreen "college"?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 9, 2020 23:22

Big Al
wonderboy

I’m not sure about that, necessarily. He likes his old blues records and is friends with Steve Jordan. I’m not sure how many seventy-something’s from Kent would consider themselves to be woke. It’s an annoying term, anyway.

Yeah, I was kinda being ironic about 'woke.' People have been 'woke' about race for a long time. This stuff wasn't invented yesterday. My impression is that Keith feels that being black is a feeling more than anything else. He feels we can emphathize with people who are different from us in superficial ways. It's the thing he believes with the skull ring.
I also think a lot of his personal experiences with Black people came in the West Indies, where they look at this kind of thing differently than American Blacks and American political correctness would have us think.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2020 23:52

wonderboy
Big Al
wonderboy

Yeah, I was kinda being ironic about 'woke.' People have been 'woke' about race for a long time. This stuff wasn't invented yesterday. My impression is that Keith feels that being black is a feeling more than anything else. He feels we can emphathize with people who are different from us in superficial ways. It's the thing he believes with the skull ring.
I also think a lot of his personal experiences with Black people came in the West Indies, where they look at this kind of thing differently than American Blacks and American political correctness would have us think.

Good points thumbs up

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 10, 2020 00:07

buttons67
why is a music journalist bringing in darryls colour status as being ironic, really didnt see the point of this, all original stones members are white.

Because its 2020 and that's all some people want to talk about. Yawn

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 10, 2020 00:13

stickyfingers101
Rockman
As for the rest, I love Keef....but, his statements here are absurd.

eeeerrrr not really .... cant really see what he's
said wrong and most working on the pyramids
sure weren't supplied with safety boots and holiday pay ....

He said he was black.

Which is absurd.

Keef toured the US in the 1960s....so he should know that thanks to his WHITE skin, he never faced segregation or any of the legalized inequalities facing blacks...

he never faced brutal, racist injustices at the hands of the police and legal system....or the savage, illegal militant KKK version of "justice" for "crimes" like looking at a white woman (FYI - the simple accusation as such was enough for a lynching in many cases)

and he certainly never faced the DAILY humiliations blacks faced solely for the color of their skin....like having to step aside for white folks on the sidewalk (and tip your cap)... (FYI - failure to do could/did result in lynching)

the list of injustices blacks faced solely for skin-color is far too long for this board....

As per slavery, it's always been horrible, of course...agreed.

but, the Atlantic System was where globalized trade and the birth of industrialized capitalism met slavery....as a result, it was a scale and a level of brutality never before seen in human history.

His statement is sort of like claiming: "Sure...the Holocaust...but, there's always been genocides"....

it comes across (to me) as dismissive...which is totally insensitive....so, I'll use that word for his slavery comparison.

but, "absurd" is the correct term for his claim of "being black".

I love the guy...but, what a dildo thing to say.

Who cares. Yawn. WE know what he meant so stop looking to be offended.

Can black alive today be black if they didn't go through the list of things you posted?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-10 00:14 by stanlove.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2020 00:33

Keith Richards with Barney Hoskyns
MOJO 48 ---- November 1997

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 10, 2020 02:00

stanlove
buttons67
why is a music journalist bringing in darryls colour status as being ironic, really didnt see the point of this, all original stones members are white.

The article is from November of 2016. Not much had changed since then, at least in terms of and as an overall thing. COUGH it's gotten much worse but just before then and obviously up through now and the foreseeable future, unfortunately. Maybe the editor said something, or some other higher up, who knows, but it is ridiculous.

Here's another one:

Rucker signed to Capitol Nashville as a country music singer, releasing the album, Learn to Live that year. Its first single, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It", made him the first black artist to reach number one on the Hot Country Songs charts since Charley Pride in 1983. (Ray Charles hit number one in March 1985 in a duet with Willie Nelson with "Seven Spanish Angels".)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 10, 2020 02:00

stanlove
buttons67

The article is from November of 2016. Not much had changed since then, at least in terms of and as an overall thing. COUGH it's gotten much worse but just before then and obviously up through now and the foreseeable future, unfortunately. Maybe the editor said something, or some other higher up, who knows, but it is ridiculous.

Here's another one that brings up race:

Rucker signed to Capitol Nashville as a country music singer, releasing the album, Learn to Live that year. Its first single, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It", made him the first black artist to reach number one on the Hot Country Songs charts since Charley Pride in 1983. (Ray Charles hit number one in March 1985 in a duet with Willie Nelson with "Seven Spanish Angels".)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 10, 2020 02:06

He is just a hired gun,who gets pay a good salary.That's it buddy.......

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 10, 2020 03:58

Off topic but there is no "ism" in Rastafari.

jb

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: December 10, 2020 06:01

Big Al
Nikkei
Darryls actual comments suggest that he is very aware that he is working for what can be regarded as some type of institution. Putting a racial angle on it comes across as typical journalitic opportunism and Keiths comments certainly don't help with that. Then again the writer could have dredged up a lot of Keith quotes on race that sound less obnoxious. Keep in mind how long it took for Ronnie to achieve actual membership status even though he fit like a glove from his first day on the job

Though Ronnie was considered a Rolling Stone from '76. He was a hired-hand in 1975, of course. He just wasn't tied-in with the legal partnership and took a salary. That's right, no?

It all comes down to timing. You can't expect full membership to such an iconic brand when you've only been helping out on the greatest hits tours, long after the cultural achievements have been set in stone so to speak.

Same as Ron Wood in 1975-76 -- full membership for the 1 year you were there, at least publicity-wise, gives you credit for the previous 10 years you weren't there.

If Ron Wood had joined in 1969 to replace Brian Jones, he would have been granted automatic full membership, given how the band was only half a decade along in their career and still had plenty to prove and accomplish, especially considering that Ron Wood's recording career was even more varied and accomplished than Mick Taylor's by that time.

It is assumed that everyone here in this thread knows that Ron Wood was the Stones' first choice for Brian's replacement in 1969, and that it was Ronnie Lane of the Faces who thwarted the arrangement when Ian Stewart phoned their studio asking for Ron Wood, right?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: December 11, 2020 11:33

Darryl is just a hired hand like Chuck, but if anyone deserves full status it's Chuck, his involvement goes far deeper than Darryls, Darryl is so replaceable it's laughable, bring back Bill if the Stones are going to go full status.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 11, 2020 12:51

stone4ever
Darryl is just a hired hand like Chuck, but if anyone deserves full status it's Chuck, his involvement goes far deeper than Darryls, Darryl is so replaceable it's laughable, bring back Bill if the Stones are going to go full status.

but Chuck is worse…

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: December 11, 2020 14:38

Id like to see Darryl in the band officially.
26 years internship is enough. He has proved himself as being the right guy for the job.

Date: December 11, 2020 15:47

rebelhipi
Id like to see Darryl in the band officially.
26 years internship is enough. He has proved himself as being the right guy for the job.

Of course Darryl has proved himself; at least the Stones will never sack him. I really don't get the point he made in his statement apart from money?? In his spare time he can play what he really is good at. Jazz and fusion that is.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:34

dcba
stickyfingers101

the Atlantic System was where globalized trade and the birth of industrialized capitalism met slavery....as a result, it was a scale and a level of brutality never before seen in human history.

Are you serious? Open an History book and you'll see the Atlantic System was a mere footnote in the book of human cruelty. Google "Thirty Years' War" to know what I mean.
Where did you learn History? Evergreen "college"?

I was talking about systems of slavery (so was Keith)...not wars.

one thing I DID learn at Evergreen "College" was how to spot a red-herring fallacy of logic...

incidentally, there are more slaves today than at any point in history...so, maybe slavery is even worse today?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:48

stanlove
stickyfingers101
Rockman
As for the rest, I love Keef....but, his statements here are absurd.

eeeerrrr not really .... cant really see what he's
said wrong and most working on the pyramids
sure weren't supplied with safety boots and holiday pay ....

He said he was black.

Which is absurd.

Keef toured the US in the 1960s....so he should know that thanks to his WHITE skin, he never faced segregation or any of the legalized inequalities facing blacks...

he never faced brutal, racist injustices at the hands of the police and legal system....or the savage, illegal militant KKK version of "justice" for "crimes" like looking at a white woman (FYI - the simple accusation as such was enough for a lynching in many cases)

and he certainly never faced the DAILY humiliations blacks faced solely for the color of their skin....like having to step aside for white folks on the sidewalk (and tip your cap)... (FYI - failure to do could/did result in lynching)

the list of injustices blacks faced solely for skin-color is far too long for this board....

As per slavery, it's always been horrible, of course...agreed.

but, the Atlantic System was where globalized trade and the birth of industrialized capitalism met slavery....as a result, it was a scale and a level of brutality never before seen in human history.

His statement is sort of like claiming: "Sure...the Holocaust...but, there's always been genocides"....

it comes across (to me) as dismissive...which is totally insensitive....so, I'll use that word for his slavery comparison.

but, "absurd" is the correct term for his claim of "being black".

I love the guy...but, what a dildo thing to say.

Who cares. Yawn. WE know what he meant so stop looking to be offended.

Can black alive today be black if they didn't go through the list of things you posted?

I'm not offended...nor am I looking to be.

I said it was an absurd/dildo thing to say.

your 2nd question: I don't know the answer....ask a black person....then ask them if Keef is black...let me know the results.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:50

Is this topic about historical racism or about the monetary value of playing bass for the Rolling Stones?

In their hunt for a Mick Taylor replacement, didn't they remind each other that "this is an English band!"?

That kind of sums it up for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 18:57 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: December 11, 2020 21:37

At least Keith didn’t use “Spade” so he obviously has progressed a little. Hehe.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: December 12, 2020 15:05

thkbeercan
Is this topic about historical racism or about the monetary value of playing bass for the Rolling Stones?

In their hunt for a Mick Taylor replacement, didn't they remind each other that "this is an English band!"?

That kind of sums it up for me.

You hit the nail on the head, it is an English band but for the most part the Stones prefer American musicians as far as hired help goes, session musicians etc.
I've often wondered why, there are so many great British rock pianists/keyboards players out there over the past 30 years, backing vocalists, base players, i genuinely believe American artist's are more easy going and are happy in the knowledge they get paid a good wage and get to play and record with one of the best bands in the world, it's a privilege, they are lucky to be chosen to Tour the world in an A list setting.
As far as you dreamers on here are concerned bringing race into every situation, it's got @#$%& all to do with colour. It's money, as if the Stones are going to cut their millions in profits 5 or 6 ways, have you noticed anything about this band, it's all about the MONEY.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home