Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Darryl Jones interview - Classic Rock - November 30, 2016
Date: December 8, 2020 22:06

See the article here:

[www.loudersound.com]

Rolling Stones bassist Darryl Jones wants full member status
By Stef Lach (Classic Rock) November 30, 2016

Rolling Stones bass player Darryl Jones says it would be "wonderful" to get recognition as a full member of the band after more than 20 years in the job

A picture of Darryl Jones
Darryl Jones (Image credit: Getty)
Rolling Stones bassist Darryl Jones says it would be “wonderful” if he were to made a full member of the band after more than 20 years.

Jones, 54, has played bass with the Rolling Stones since 1994 but never appears in any publicity shots, which are reserved for core members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood.

ADVERTISING

After replacing Bill Wyman, who quit after 31 years with the Stones, Jones has appeared on all of the band’s material since 1994 and also stars on new album Blue And Lonesome.

RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU...
CLOSE
Asked if he’s like to be a full member of the band, Jones tells the BBC: “It has not really come up very often. Obviously that would be a really wonderful thing for a person like me. I have been a sideman for more than 30 years now.

“I think most musicians, somewhere deep down inside, even if they are sidemen, or if they are hired players, there is a desire to be in a band.

“And I would not be being completely honest if I said that it would not be wonderful, it would not be amazing, to be considered and, you know, jump into this organisation as a full member.

“But that is not a decision I am in a position to make. I just play the best that I can and the rest of it I don’t have any control over.”

Long-time Stones fan and music journalist Mat Snow says it is ironic that Jones is the only regular member of the band who is black, considering the group made its name playing R&B.

Watch Rolling Stones video for Hate To See You Go
Chris Spedding on the Rolling Stones, the Sex Pistols... and The Wombles
The Rolling Stones - Havana Moon: The Rolling Stones Live In Cuba DVD review
The Top 10 Best Rolling Stones Blues Songs
This month, Stones guitarist Keith Richards spoke up on the issue of cultural appropriation of blues music.

He said: “I’m black as the ace of @#$%& spades, man. Ask any of the brothers.

“I didn’t know what colour these people were, as a kid. I don’t think of blues as being of any particular colour at all.

“Obviously, its history. But there were white slaves, as well. There have been plenty of work songs from way back. Try Egypt. Quite Jewish, actually. People have been doing this since history began.”

Meanwhile, Stones classic You Can’t Always Get What You Want is to be covered by stars including Steve Harley, Ricky Wilson of Kaiser Chiefs, KT Tunstall and David Gray in honour of murdered MP Jo Cox.

They’ll release the track under the name of Friends Of Jo Cox on December 16. This month Thomas Mair was jailed for life for the murder of Cox in what the court described as an act of terrorism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-26 17:09 by bv.

Re: Darryl Jones wants full member status
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 8, 2020 22:10

Sorry, Darryl, n*e*v*e*r...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 8, 2020 22:16

The club is closed at this time.

Wouldn't Chuck have a stronger case?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 8, 2020 22:20

Daryl's statement was much more nuanced than "I want full member status"....it's a poor word choice by the journalist, IMO......he's clearly content to roll with what comes his way....

As for the rest, I love Keef....but, his statements here are absurd.

For somebody claiming to be "black as the ace of spades" he sure insults black people....

Oh well....Keef says lots of things, I suppose.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2020 22:36

As for the rest, I love Keef....but, his statements here are absurd.

eeeerrrr not really .... cant really see what he's
said wrong and most working on the pyramids
sure weren't supplied with safety boots and holiday pay ....

ROCKMAN

Re: Darryl Jones said full member status would be wonderful four years ago
Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 8, 2020 22:47

That article is four years old.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 8, 2020 23:17

People in hell want ice water.

Personally I want a bass player who actually learns and plays the songs. Not a strum along chord player who fits into the background as his main attraction.

Whats Bill doing these days? (Silly question)

jb

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 8, 2020 23:50

jbwelda

Whats Bill doing these days?

Selling his property - [iorr.org] . winking smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 8, 2020 23:59

Sorry, KR, you ain't black. You may be accepted by black people as someone attuned to them, their music, culture, whatever, but this acceptance doesn't make you black regardless of what you think. As for Darryl Jones becoming a full member of the band, this probably has more to do with money and a share of the income generated by the Stones. If I remember right, Ronnie was on salary for a number of years before he was given full share status. As the saying goes, "Follow the money".

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: December 9, 2020 00:17

I want to be a Beatle

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2020 00:19

Dung ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2020 01:15

He’s quoted as “it would be "wonderful" to get recognition as a full member”. That is not really the same as “wants”.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2020 01:37

Koen
He’s quoted as “it would be "wonderful" to get recognition as a full member”. That is not really the same as “wants”.

It's not treading too heavily knowing that he won't be. Just a round about way of saying it without sounding demanding etc.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2020 01:44

Wondering if Darryl has ever contributed anything in the songwriting dept for any Stones song, and I'm referring to something more than a generic bass line.
Granted there hasn't been much original material since he joined the band, but would be intersting to know if he ever suggested a chord pattern, a melody, or anything at all.
Something tells me NO, but there's a chance they might have utilized some of his input or suggestions in certain ways? We'll probably never know the truth behind it all.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 9, 2020 04:06

why is a music journalist bringing in darryls colour status as being ironic, really didnt see the point of this, all original stones members are white.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 9, 2020 07:44

BS article

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2020 10:05

Darryl would have to contribute something original first. I can't think of one memorable Darryl Jones bass line on a Stones recording. First he played like Wyman on Voodoo Lounge. Then, on BTB the only standout bass track, 'Anybody Seen My Baby' was done by Jamie Muhoberac. I saw Darryl try and play it live and it was a complete bust. By the time A Bigger Bang rolled around Mick Jagger himself was playing bass.

Darryl is a sideman. He's not even as funky as Bill was. He has even less presence. Hell, I'd like to hear Bill play with Miles Davis, just to see what he came up with.

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: December 9, 2020 10:55

bam

Precisely.
Now, what can we expect next? Mick Taylor quits Stones?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2020 11:08

As I've stated numerous times: his role is primary one, yet, Daryl is a hired-hand; part of their touring ensemble. If the Stones were to make him Bill's replacement as a member, they should've done so back in '93. Maybe they would've taken that route if they'd have known they would still be semi-active twenty-five year's later. The ship has sailed.

Date: December 9, 2020 11:11

tomekdp
bam

Precisely.
Now, what can we expect next? Mick Taylor quits Stones?

That article is 46 years old.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 9, 2020 12:50

Darryls actual comments suggest that he is very aware that he is working for what can be regarded as some type of institution. Putting a racial angle on it comes across as typical journalitic opportunism and Keiths comments certainly don't help with that. Then again the writer could have dredged up a lot of Keith quotes on race that sound less obnoxious. Keep in mind how long it took for Ronnie to achieve actual membership status even though he fit like a glove from his first day on the job

Date: December 9, 2020 12:53

Old article, misleading headline and the same answer Darryl always gives on that question.

Clickbait.

PS: And that «journo-fan» never noticed Bernard, Lisa/Sasha?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-09 12:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 9, 2020 13:00

Nikkei
Darryls actual comments suggest that he is very aware that he is working for what can be regarded as some type of institution. Putting a racial angle on it comes across as typical journalitic opportunism and Keiths comments certainly don't help with that. Then again the writer could have dredged up a lot of Keith quotes on race that sound less obnoxious. Keep in mind how long it took for Ronnie to achieve actual membership status even though he fit like a glove from his first day on the job

Though Ronnie was considered a Rolling Stone from '76. He was a hired-hand in 1975, of course. He just wasn't tied-in with the legal partnership and took a salary. That's right, no?

Date: December 9, 2020 13:05

I really dislike any racial angle being brought into anything like this, personally. It's so unnecessary. It's seems so in vogue, sadly.

Date: December 9, 2020 13:09

Thankfully this issue has never not been raised about to C. Leavell...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 9, 2020 13:10

DandelionPowderman

Karl Denson too.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2020 14:47

Big Al
I really dislike any racial angle being brought into anything like this, personally. It's so unnecessary. It's seems so in vogue, sadly.

As a kid growing up loving hockey and being a fan of the Edmonton Oilers with Wayne Gretzky and the plethora of great players on that team and era, I never paid attention to the fact that Grant Fuhr was black. Obviously at some point I figured it out, probably when I learned about his cocaine problem, but it didn't change one thing at all. There are theories about why hardly any black people play hockey but any black person playing hockey is no different from any white person (or whatever) playing hockey: they're playing hockey.

That aside, I'm going to guess it's still a generational thing for people to point it out. When the Washington Redskins won a Super Bowl in 1980whatever it was and Doug Williams was the quarterback, the post-game interviewer asked "What's it like to be the first black quarterback to wind a Super Bowl"? after he had set the 4 TD passes in one quarter etc.

Was that question ever asked of any other black person playing any position in winning a Super Bowl?

It's ridiculous. When I watched that I wondered, What does that have to do with anything? But it was a big deal and that's how "the times" were then. I understand that. Doug Williams, who played killer awesome in that game, helped change the game.

This Jones thread should be deleted or merged with another thread
Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 9, 2020 16:42

DandelionPowderman
Old article, misleading headline and the same answer Darryl always gives on that question.

Clickbait.

Exactly. Misleading. Give it a rest.

Or, BV, please change the thread’s subject or merge it with a preexisting Jones thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-09 16:44 by bam.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: December 9, 2020 18:18

NilsHolgersson
I want to be a Beatle

Me Too !

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 9, 2020 18:22

DandelionPowderman

Clickbait.

Well, this quote from the article shows from which direction the wind is blowing from:

"Long-time Stones fan and music journalist Mat Snow says it is ironic that Jones is the only regular member of the band who is black, considering the group made its name playing R&B."

Translate "the group made its name" with "the group made its fortune/money" and the agenda becomes totally clear.

Framing like this usually only works when reality is at least partly, but obviously intentionally neglected.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home