Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: What was your 1st Experience of buying a Stones Bootleg what was it , and how did you feel..
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 5, 2020 18:31

welshphil
JordyLicks96
My dad had been buying Stones bootlegs for decades starting in the 80's. He would go to record shops in the village in NYC. When I was younger, he would take me to work with him, than we would take the Subway down to the Village for lunch and go to the record stores. I don't remember my exact 1st experience or what the first Stones bootleg I bought was but it was just so much fun searching through the CD's to find some rare Stones bootlegs. Unfortunately when I went back to the Village a few years ago I noticed many of the record stores had been closed, but still a few were open.

There were some good shops on Bleeker Street .One called Bleeker Bob's I think ,and one on Thompson Street also .Went back there 3 years and sadly all cd shops are gone , but there was one selling vinyl .

Yup used to go to Bleeker Street, Bleeker Bob's, Thompson Street, there was an underground one, Rocket Scientist in the East Village. When Bleeker Street closed they moved all of their stuff to Thompson Street as they were owned by the same person. I went to Thompson Street last year. I got there when they opened in the morning and was surprised to see a nice crowd of people around my age (mid 20's) waiting for the store to open. Really nice to see other young people shopping for vinyl/cd's.

Re: What was your 1st Experience of buying a Stones Bootleg what was it , and how did you feel..
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 5, 2020 18:35

LeonidP
JordyLicks96
My dad had been buying Stones bootlegs for decades starting in the 80's. He would go to record shops in the village in NYC...

My first was in a "head" shop I heard about in New Hope PA, probably in 1980. I got Brussels Affair and a 10" of C*cksucer Blues / Andrew's Blues! I still have them.

Not long after I heard about the underground shops in The Village/NYC. I would go just to check out the bootlegs, probably 2 or 3 times a year. The "underground" ones were my favorite, somewhere below 4th st./Canal St. but the one w/ the most choices was always Revolver Records, it was on 8th st. off of 6th avenue. I remember buying Black & Blue sessions with Worried About You, before Tattoo You came out!

It was such an enjoyable experience bootleg shopping when I was younger!! We'd take the bus into the City, going to work with my dad, than taking the subway down to W. 4th Street, go bootleg shopping and would always find something cool to buy that wasn't there before. After sometimes we'd have tickets to a Mets game and we'd hop on the 7 train to Queens. It was so much fun, I treasure those times with my dad very fondly smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-05 18:38 by JordyLicks96.

Re: What was your first Experience of buying a Stones Bootleg?
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 5, 2020 19:23

I think it was in 1994. I found "Hell's Stones" in an Italian record store that summer. "Hell's Stones" is a 3CD set that has the IBC tracks, mixed 69/Gimme Shelter film audio, Marquee 71 (minus first two songs) and I think incomplete 7/26/72? I think a few other random things too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-05 19:49 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 5, 2020 20:07

JordyLicks96
LeonidP
JordyLicks96
My dad had been buying Stones bootlegs for decades starting in the 80's. He would go to record shops in the village in NYC...

My first was in a "head" shop I heard about in New Hope PA, probably in 1980. I got Brussels Affair and a 10" of C*cksucer Blues / Andrew's Blues! I still have them.

Not long after I heard about the underground shops in The Village/NYC. I would go just to check out the bootlegs, probably 2 or 3 times a year. The "underground" ones were my favorite, somewhere below 4th st./Canal St. but the one w/ the most choices was always Revolver Records, it was on 8th st. off of 6th avenue. I remember buying Black & Blue sessions with Worried About You, before Tattoo You came out!

It was such an enjoyable experience bootleg shopping when I was younger!! We'd take the bus into the City, going to work with my dad, than taking the subway down to W. 4th Street, go bootleg shopping and would always find something cool to buy that wasn't there before. After sometimes we'd have tickets to a Mets game and we'd hop on the 7 train to Queens. It was so much fun, I treasure those times with my dad very fondly smileys with beer

It's great to read that you have such fine memories of "Stones" shopping with your dad!
I hope my son will think about his "dad and Stones" experiences the same way one day. I took him, as far as I can remember, to Amsterdam Arena a three times, The Kuip (Rotterdam) when he was 10 years old and when he was much older, and the O2 in London (50th Anniversary 2012). And also to the Memory Motel near the southern beach of New Jersey (Fred Sessler's birthday party grinning smiley)
My two daughters for sure will have great memories. The youngest one has seen them 11 times at least (including catching Mick's T-shirt in Arnhem), my oldest daughter at least 10 times (including Vredenburg club show in Utrecht and .. La Plata, Argentina 2016!), plus by herself in Sydney on my expense (when I sadly missed Hanging Rock twice confused smiley, but couldn't go to Sydney).
All in all I invested well in their musical education, I think grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2020 23:49

'Bright Lights, Big City'. Bought it at a little record store in Bloomington, Indiana, where I was attending college. I loved it. Still do. Great artwork. The earlier the better. The Stones came charging out of the gate. Think I'll go listen to 'Diddly Daddy'.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 6, 2020 00:13

24FPS
'Bright Lights, Big City'. Bought it at a little record store in Bloomington, Indiana, where I was attending college. I loved it. Still do. Great artwork. The earlier the better. The Stones came charging out of the gate. Think I'll go listen to 'Diddly Daddy'.

Fantastic 24FPS Diddly Daddy - yes I was blown awawy on hearing this first time around.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 6, 2020 00:15

"Tour of the Americas" a 3 LP box set came in the mail (mid to later 1970's?). I think I ordered it from an ad in back of Rolling Stone magazine? I felt like a little kid in a candy store when it arrived. It felt like Christmas when I opened it and the sound for an audience recording was great!

A couple weeks later I discovered a local record store that sold boots, and bought up Liver Than You'll Ever Be, Bedspring symphony (still one of the greatest Stones collectibles for performance and sound quality), Stones Honolulu 73, Jimi Hendrix at the LA Forum 1970 (great show, fair sound), and Beatles-Get Back to Toronto.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-06 00:35 by Sighunt.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 6, 2020 00:28

My wife used to work at a radio station and the guy who was always on air and famous in the area asked her if she wanted any music for herself. She said he had a huge collection of stuff. She told me that so I asked her to get any unreleased Rolling Stones that he had. The next day she came home with Leeds and the Brussels affair which I had never heard of either before. He told her they were great choices and this was from when the Stones were the greatest. He is a huge Stones fan and I remember once he introduced Tumbling Dice as the greatest song off the greatest album ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-06 00:30 by stanlove.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: December 6, 2020 04:26

My forst venture into the world of bootlegs began back in the 70s, when I was securing Stones' bootlegs via mail-order from a place in New York doing business as Adlibitum Records. It was a very rudimentary operation...run out of a P.O.
Box...but I had good success dealing with them. They furnished a monthly catalog list, which included prices and sound quality ratings, and you simply wrote them a check, submitted an order, and it would arrive within a couple of weeks' time.

My biggest 'score' was an original TMOQ pressing of the Stones' Live '73 European Tour that eventually turned out to be 'A Brussels Affair'. Had a few other noteworthy LPs but have no idea where they might be as they were misplaced during a move.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 6, 2020 05:18

That TMOQ 73 tour record had a scorching Dancing With Mr D on it that I have never found anywhere else. Some great guitar riffing half way through. Its not the version on the official Brussels Affair and I don't think I have heard it on the other BA boots I have either.

jb

Date: December 6, 2020 06:47

Interesting observation jbwelda; wish I still had the LP to investigate further and confirm your insight. But it's been almost 25 years since I last listened to it so the memory might be a bit hazy. smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 6, 2020 07:12

JordyLicks96
LeonidP
JordyLicks96

Nice! My dad wasn't a Stones fan, but he did take me to see the Mets once a year. I saw Willie Mays play in '73, way before I was old enough to care about bootlegs.

Date: December 6, 2020 07:21

Willie Mays...

I remember a conversation I had with my Dad about baseball when I was a kid (he was a catcher in the Cardinals' minor league system for a bit) and he told me about the time he had gone to see Mays play. I asked him what it was like and he said "He was everything everyone said he was".

Date: December 6, 2020 08:48

This seemed like a good excuse to pull out some dusty boots and take some photos.

Here is my copy of that Europe 73 tour, sourced from KBFH I believe, and the version of Dancing with Mr D I was referring to is on this...I think. I am going to play this tomorrow and confirm it to myself, because for some reason I seem to recall a different cover/insert so I probably bought this later on and not when I first saw it.

Here is a similar thing, I think the version of Fingerprint File from this 75 TOTA set is just fantastic. Again the guitar riffing is great and on here the bells and percussion instruments sound so sweet. Whole song is delivered way better than any version of it I have ever heard, though of course they kind of played this rarely other than on this particular tour. (Corrections gladly accepted, never let reality intrude on a good story).

Then a few shots of random covers from my collection, excuse the crap photos, I was hand holding in dim light

Stoneaged, from the night before or before that of Live'r, very similar recording and overall sound, Stones are a bit more ragged if that is possible. This is a later copy I bought in the 90s or so

One of my all time favorites especially when it first came out, Out On Bail, Passaic NJ 78. Ripping like tigers that night

Kool picture on the back from the promo video for Some Girls tracks:

The companion record to Out On Bail, In Again Out Again, more from the Passaic NJ show

More KBFH to go into Brussels Affair, Bedspring Symphony:

Mentioned earlier, Bright Lights Big City, loved this too.

Andrew's Blues, another early one I really liked:

Backside:

And while poking around, remembered I had like twenty or so of these vintage tongue rub off transfers! I found these one day at a flea market including a little display holder thingie.

jb

Date: December 6, 2020 09:28

Your photo post helped jog my memory jbwelda. I also had the 'Out on Bail' boot as well as 'Who Went to Church This Sunday'. Good stuff.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: December 6, 2020 11:47

The first bootlegs I bought was at the Record Bar in Chapel Hill, NC. They used to carry bootlegs of local concerts.

The first I bought was the 1975 Greensboro, NC and later Myrtle Beach, SC and Greensboro 1978.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 6, 2020 12:11

I went to a second hand ladies clothes shop in Cottesloe in Perth that I was told by the owner of Perth’s then largest record shop, 78 Records, had a rack of Bootlegs.

I went in and noticed, just behind the dress section (!) a bin of records. I’d never SEEN a bootleg before, but I knew Nasty Music, Out on Bail and Gravestones & Rape of the Vaults were NOT official Stones records. So I bought all three. Heaven!!! About 1979 I think.

Amazing. Went back many times. Got the original box of Springsteen’s Piece de Résistance there too. Just amazing times!

Rod

Posted by: poti ()
Date: December 6, 2020 12:36

I bought my first Stonesboot after their concert on the 19th of October 1973 here in Berlin at the Deutschlandhalle. It was Rolling Again and what attracted me most was the neonred silkscreen cover. It was sold in front of the venue by some youngsters of about my age (21 then). They were American and since we had so many American soldiers here in Berlin at the time, I thought they might be soldiers or relatives. They sold the boot for 10 Deutschmarks and that was affordable for a university student like me. I still have it and it brings back sweet memories ...

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: December 6, 2020 12:56

I think my first Stones bootleg was bought at the fleemarket in Paris. "Dragon slayers" (Houston 72,great cover but average sound) or "Bedspring symphony" which is still a treat to listen to.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: December 6, 2020 16:43

StonedAsiaExile
The first bootlegs I bought was at the Record Bar in Chapel Hill, NC. They used to carry bootlegs of local concerts.

The first I bought was the 1975 Greensboro, NC and later Myrtle Beach, SC and Greensboro 1978.

A bootleg of Greensboro 1975?
I didn't think that existed. Have never heard MB 78 or Greensboro 78 either. Wow.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 6, 2020 17:00

Welcome to New York was my first. Absolutely loved it!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 6, 2020 19:31

I was at a record and CD show and one of the vendors had a huge Stones collection. I found JFK '78 and I was like, "Oh, cool. I was at this show. I want this one," and he was like, "No, man. You don't want that one. That one sucks. Here, listen to this," and he hands me Brussels Affair, or something like that, and I'm like, "No, man. I want a show I was actually at."

I bought JFK '78. Dude was right. It did suck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-06 19:31 by tatters.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: December 6, 2020 20:02

Mick Taylor we miss you - great great record I bought in 1986.Was 15 by that time.Still love it... Next one was Brown Sugar and white snow from Essen 73. Was a bit disappointed because of the sound but from then I collected those boots...

Date: December 6, 2020 20:11

That was a dream come true after searching the collections for hours in vinyl shops back in the early seventies. These days you just go to youtube and find more stuff in 2 minutes then in one year back in the days.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: December 7, 2020 00:01

And you can check immediately the sound qualitysmiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 7, 2020 00:09

First Stones CD boot …….

Bruce Milne founder of Au-Go-Go Records went
to Japan in the mid 80's on a record-hunting trip

Bought back Exile Stones boot CD… gave to
me as a gift ………..in those days it was like receiving a hunk of gold …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 7, 2020 00:39

I bought one called Charlie Watts And His Fabulous Rolling Stones from the 1975 tour. I don’t remember what city it was from.

Date: December 7, 2020 02:10

That was one third of the three record set i posted up above, LA Forum, pretty sure

jb

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 7, 2020 04:10

At some point in (early, I think?) 1979 at the ripe old age of 13, I bought 2 boot LPs on Excitable Records from the Purple Prism, a wacky, Beatle-heavy head shop at 357 King Street, Charleston, SC:

1. East and West (a knock-off of Brussels Affair); and
2. In Again Out Again, a 1LP piece from the 1978 Tour

Within hours, I was hooked on Stones' live vinyl to where I now had performances that none of the older cats had and which ALL of them wanted to hear. You can imagine that my stock went up quick.

Within the next few months, I ended up becoming the biggest Stones' kid the shop-keeper knew, buying all kinds of exotic pieces like Garden State 78, Southern Quotations (colored wax), Live in Honolulu 1973, Liver Than (picture disc), Knebworth, and then a host of other items, many of which I still have and spin.

Wonder whatever happened to the cats from my old neighborhood.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 7, 2020 15:11

First CD was Very Ancient, Thank You Kindly. I bought that at a record fair in Cornwall in the mid 90s. Moved to London a couple of years later and bought a load of VHS tapes from a guy who had a stall on the indoor part of Camden Market. The quality was shite but I was seeing the full legendary footage instead of the teaser clips on 25x5. I kept my bootleg thirst slaked with regular visits to a stall in Cambridge market. He was a little expensive but had some fine, fine stuff.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home