Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: O/T The Monkees
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 26, 2021 18:48

I'm going out on a limb here. But with the passing of Mike Nesmith this year, I've slowly evolved and come around to a thought that was previously unthinkable by me. I think that it is about time that the Monkees be considered for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Some people may even argue its a debate not worth discussing (given that some believe) that the R & R Hall of Fame as an institution may be past its time, irrelevant by today's standards, given some of the choices of artists who have been selected or should have been selected by this point. The Monkees certainly have a great catalogue of memorable hits that they accumulated during the short time they were together.

Here are a bunch of articles to ponder on the subject that have appeared on the internet over the years:

[www.news-press.com]

[www.cheatsheet.com]

[www.goldderby.com]

[www.goldminemag.com]

What are your thoughts? Are the Monkees worthy of inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 03:32 by Sighunt.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 26, 2021 20:10

I agree. They should be. Well the Wrecking Crew did most of the music ….and they did also for The Mamas and Papas and they are in. So people can’t use that argument.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 26, 2021 20:46

They should have been years ago. When Mike was alive. When Peter was alive.

Even when Davy was alive.

All this religion that everyone suddenly got...this overnight awareness of what a significant artist Mike was the day after he died is too little, too late.

Date: December 26, 2021 21:02

loog droog
They should have been years ago. When Mike was alive. When Peter was alive.

Even when Davy was alive.

All this religion that everyone suddenly got...this overnight awareness of what a significant artist Mike was the day after he died is too little, too late.

For me, I have always appreciated how talented Mike was as an artist. It was his recent demise that was the last straw for me re: the Monkees non inclusion in R & R Hall of Fame. You now have 3/4 of the Monkees gone. Given who has been awarded this distinctive honor previously, I certainly feel that the Monkees are deserving.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 26, 2021 21:19

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame has degraded itself already many years ago. So who cares if the Monkeys are or will be inducted.
Quoting Mick Jagger after once again receiving an award, when asked what he'd do with it, he said "I'll flush it down the toilet". Awards are for children to motivate them in whatever they do. Famous grownups really know that receiving an award is merely trying to get them to perform or show up in the award giving show(s). Having said that, I am happy for those who are happy with receiving an award winking smiley
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 26, 2021 22:06

georgie48
The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame has degraded itself already many years ago. So who cares if the Monkeys are or will be inducted.
Quoting Mick Jagger after once again receiving an award, when asked what he'd do with it, he said "I'll flush it down the toilet". Awards are for children to motivate them in whatever they do. Famous grownups really know that receiving an award is merely trying to get them to perform or show up in the award giving show(s). Having said that, I am happy for those who are happy with receiving an award winking smiley
smileys with beer

Wrong. First of all it’s Monkees not Monkeys. Secondary awards are given for accomplishments not fir trying. Academy awards Grammys etc. Mick never said anything about flushing an award down the toilet Never

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2021 01:09

If the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame was something to be respected I'd say sure, they deserve to be in.

But as it's largely irrelevant 'who cares' is really the only appropriate response.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 27, 2021 01:24

treaclefingers
If the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame was something to be respected I'd say sure, they deserve to be in.

But as it's largely irrelevant 'who cares' is really the only appropriate response.

True... but I'd still be pissed if they got in before or instead of J Geils Band.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2021 01:43

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers

True... but I'd still be pissed if they got in before or instead of J Geils Band.

OK agreed but the Hall needs a makeover and to get rid of Jan Wenner.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 27, 2021 02:21

treaclefingers
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers

OK agreed but the Hall needs a makeover and to get rid of Jan Wenner.

Absolutely.
And like you say, a makeover/complete overhaul. Has become a joke long ago.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 27, 2021 02:41

Love the Monkees, many of their songs, their albums...

But if they didn't really play on those cuts, then why should they be in a R&R Hall of Fame?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 27, 2021 02:54

schillid

But if they didn't really play on those cuts, then why should they be in a R&R Hall of Fame?

As I just posted. The Wrecking Crew did all the music for The Mamas and Pappas and they are in the hall

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 27, 2021 03:44

Cooltoplady

As I just posted. The Wrecking Crew did all the music for The Mamas and Pappas and they are in the hall

exactly... as it should be

Date: December 28, 2021 10:13

More Hot Rocks
I agree. They should be. Well the Wrecking Crew did most of the music ….and they did also for The Mamas and Papas and they are in. So people can’t use that argument.

Speaking of the Wrecking Crew, several years ago I finally caught the documentary directed by the son of guitarist Tommy Tedesco which highlights the work of these great, unsung session players and how influential they were on many of the classic 1960's-70's rock and pop hits. Great documentary to watch!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 28, 2021 11:14

Sighunt
I'm going out on a limb here. But with the passing of Mike Nesmith this year, I've slowly evolved and come around to a thought that was previously unthinkable by me. I think that it is about time that the Monkees be considered for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Some people may even argue its a debate not worth discussing (given that some believe) that the R & R Hall of Fame as an institution may be past its time, irrelevant by today's standards, given some of the artists' choices who may or may not have made the cut. The Monkees certainly have a great catalogue of memorable hits that they accumulated during the short time they were together.

Here are a bunch of articles to ponder on the subject that have appeared on the internet over the years:

[www.news-press.com]

[www.cheatsheet.com]

[www.goldderby.com]

[www.goldminemag.com]

What are your thoughts? Are the Monkees worthy of inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I have not read those articles. I have only got two compilations of the Monkees. Asked to give my thoughts, mark that, my view is: If this Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were meant to have some weight of importance, I would say no. (Apart from that, I don't know who have been included.)

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 28, 2021 18:31

schillid

To open the door for Milli Vanilli ...?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 29, 2021 06:07

Cooltoplady
schillid

By the same line of thought the Wrecking Crew played on most of the Beach Boys classics as well (Good Vibrations, Pet Sounds, California Girls, and A LOT of others).

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 29, 2021 06:19

The Wrecking Crew definitely had top-notch players. Leon Russell and Glen Campbell, to name two.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2021 21:26

I think the difference was the Mamas and the Papas were a vocal group, period. They made little pretense of playing the instruments. And John Phillips wrote most of their massive hits. They didn't pretend to play instruments like the Monkees did. (Not that they didn't want to, they were banned from doing it by their producer). (Until later, when the hits dried up. And the Monkees didn't write those big early hits either. They have a very Neil Diamond sound in the beginning. (Understandable).

I had the first couple Monkees albums when I was quite young. I enjoyed them. Listening to them now I realize if they are to be inducted they would have to also induct the Monkees who actually played on their records.

I can still listen to the Monkees. It was like a primer for a teeny bopper, helping introduce me to more mature music. But the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? It's polluted enough. No J. Geils, no Jethro Tull, no MC5, no Guess Who, Pat Benatar, Joe Cocker, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Warren Zevon, and others. They all deserve to be in long before the Monkees.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 29, 2021 21:49

One word for all the Monkees RnR HoF naysayers: ABBA.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 30, 2021 00:06

Cooltoplady
georgie48
smileys with beer

Wrong. First of all it’s Monkees not Monkeys. Secondary awards are given for accomplishments not fir trying. Academy awards Grammys etc. Mick never said anything about flushing an award down the toilet Never

I respect your opinion, but it won't change my mind. It's easy to say here on IORR that Mick never said that. I suggest you check recordings of MTV and you will find out that Mick DID say that after the Stones received the MTV award for "total achievements or accomplishments". Whatever. He was interviewed afterwards and was asked what he was going to do with the award ... answer: I probably flush it down the toilet. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, Cooltoplady. I thought it was a funny remark then. But Mick can be a different Mick when it suits him, so at another level he decided to accept (or whatever) the title of Sir in his native country. But ... that's not an award you can flush down a toilet.
Also, look up what Mick said in his speech after the Stones were inducted in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. "You Americans are funny people ... etc". To me he makes a bit of a joke of that induction thing.
"Living" with the Stones for almost 58 years (better: they've been part of my life for so long) you get to know a lot about them. The Rolling Stones know damn well that they are top dinosaurs in the world of R & B and R & R, etc. They don't need awards to prove that.
An apology: Monkees it is.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:39

treaclefingers

I’m guessing Mickey Dolenz and before their passings, the rest of The Monkees cared.

I agree Joe Cocker, J. Geils etc. deserve induction as well, but that has nothing to do with The Monkees.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2021 02:22

Awards:
A gathering of people from same
industry patting each other on the
back and pissing in each others pockets ...

Dont cry that you lost for itll be your turn next year .....

Mr Zimmerman played it the sly way...
NO TIME ta make it to the pocket pissing show but
plenty of time ta ride inta town before the bank doors slammed ....

HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .... I used to care, but things have changed

ROCKMAN

OT: The Monkees Tales
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 5, 2023 21:06

A fascinating look at the history of the Monkees, the music biz, creativity and what have you related to all. One has to wonder what tales can be told of many other bands and performers such as the ones this site is named after.

[500songs.com]

Re: OT: The Monkees Tales
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 00:00

Truly an intriguing read for any Monkees fan (of which I am one). Thanks for sharing this link, dmay!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 6, 2023 00:11

Great! Thank you !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2023 00:28

Thanks dmay.

"Nesmith and Lennon apparently made some experimental music together during the brief stay..."

Imagine that!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 6, 2023 05:34

I read the transcript and then went and found the first part. Worthwhile and a great history tying together many artists, history, and film & television threads.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 7, 2023 22:07

Tell me again why the Monkees have never been even considered for the rock and roll hall of fame?

If the fools that run the RnR HOF did half the research of the folks in this article that place might not be a joke.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 9, 2023 19:57

I agree that the Monkees should be in the R & R Hall of Fame -- they had an incredibly enjoyable string of hits and deeper tracks during their time together. Who cares if studio musicians played on their first couple albums-- LOTS of famous bands had the Wrecking Crew ply on their records: The Byrds 1st, Beach Boys Pet Sounds & Smile, etc-- Some Monkee tracks also featured Neil Young, Buddy Miles, Steve Stills ,Leon Russell--BUT Nesmith was a really good musician, Peter Tork could play guitar, bass, banjo, keyboards--
Great songs, good music

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home