Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: O/T The Monkees
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 5, 2020 18:52

Witness
jbwelda

For me the Turtles were a much more "real" Monkees, I always much preferred them (The Turtles), but they were sort of seen as Hollywood softies too.

jb

I once much later bought a compilation of the Turtles. I wanted to have their two great pop songs from the past, especially "Happy Together", but also "She'd Rather Be with Me". I found then that I still liked them. And I still do.

It may, of course, be due to weaknesses with me, however not from prejudice, but, apart from those two songs, for me there was not much about the other songs of that compilation from the Turtles.

Given the choice, at this moment I would rather have listened to my compilation from the Monkees than that from the Turtles.

This Turtles song was a hit and should have been on that compilation.

As far as recordings go, this is a perfect record:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 5, 2020 21:11

loog droog
Witness
jbwelda

For me the Turtles were a much more "real" Monkees, I always much preferred them (The Turtles), but they were sort of seen as Hollywood softies too.

jb

I once much later bought a compilation of the Turtles. I wanted to have their two great pop songs from the past, especially "Happy Together", but also "She'd Rather Be with Me". I found then that I still liked them. And I still do.

It may, of course, be due to weaknesses with me, however not from prejudice, but, apart from those two songs, for me there was not much about the other songs of that compilation from the Turtles.

Given the choice, at this moment I would rather have listened to my compilation from the Monkees than that from the Turtles.

This Turtles song was a hit and should have been on that compilation.

As far as recordings go, this is a perfect record:

[www.youtube.com]

I now found it had a charm to some extent, without measuring up to their two acknowledged hits. It made me look for the compilation. Then I discovered that it was included in my compilation. Apparently I was more critical earlier than just now.

I also discovered that I have not only one, but two albums from the Monkees. Obviously to obtain my favourite "Randy Scouse Git".

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 15, 2020 00:26

The Monkees are one of my favorites as well. I enjoyed them as a kid, and have been very pleasantly surprised that their music holds up well as an adult. It's worth going through their albums and digging out their deep tracks. Songs like "Shorty Blackwell" and "Tapioca Tundra" don't get much attention, but they're awesome. Even the person who hates the Monkees can't deny that they had some heavyweight songwriting talent working for them. I'm not sure how someone could like well-written and well-produced songs and not find at least a couple of worthy tracks in the Monkees' catalog.

And that's just talking about the considerable number of good deep tracks. It's only fair to also mention their big hits, which have become part of the soundtrack to many people's lives in these past five decades. And "Head" is a great, weird movie.

They get a lot of crap for being "inauthentic", but the Sex Pistols were also created instead of coming together naturally. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons hired Ace and Peter, does that make KISS equally inauthentic? The Beatles hired Ringo, ect.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 15, 2020 15:00

I think the rub with the Monkees is that on their 1st 2 albums the bulk of the music was provided by the wrecking crew-- but, so what ? A lot of bands at that time did the same thing: early Beach Boys, the Byrds,Paul Revere and the Raiders, lots of bands. Pet Sounds features about 99% studio musicians-- Smile too. So whats the big deal ? The Monkees catalog is awesome. They should be in the R&R Hall of Fame

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2020 19:30

There's also the fact they were artificially manufactured specifically for a lighthearted/goofy television series.
Similar to the Partridge Family who also had radio hits, and were actually nominated for a Grammy in 1971 in the "Best New Artist" category.

Via wiki: Partridge Family

"The Partridge Family were a pop music act linked to the popular 1970–74 ABC-TV television series The Partridge Family, featuring lead and backing vocals respectively by the programme's stars David Cassidy and Shirley Jones, plus professional backing vocalists and session musicians.[1] The other four cast members portraying the TV family featured on several of the album covers but did not participate in the recordings. The "group" recorded from 1970 to 1973 and in late 1970 topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart with the debut single "I Think I Love You", which NARM declared the year's best-selling single.[2]
In 1971 the Partridge Family were Grammy-nominated for the Best New Artist of 1970"

Also, I didn't realize the Partridge Family "made it" across the pond in the UK also- thought they were just a US "phenomenon".

"The Partridge Family's 1972 and 1973 single releases fared much better in the UK than in the US, coinciding with David Cassidy's phenomenal UK standing as a solo star during this period".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-15 19:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 15, 2020 20:41

Yup, just like the Partridge Family.
Now I'm afraid somebody will post a thread about why Pat Boone should be in the Rock Hall of Fame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-15 20:42 by bam.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 15, 2020 20:41

Me and Magdalina The Mickey And Mike show.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 15, 2020 21:06

I must point out to..... jahisnotdead.....that the Beatles did not "hire Ringo".

Just as the Stones went after a good drummer and Charlie joined the band, so The Beatles changed their drummer and went after Ringo who joined the group as an equal.

A "hired" band member would be Darryl Jones, who is not a member of The Rolling Stones IMHO just as Chuck etc is not a member. My understanding is that they are "hired" for specific periods of time for specific live or studio work but they are not in the band.

From the moment he joined, Ringo was always in the Beatles as an equal. He was not hired.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 18, 2021 16:42

Rockman
and Mickey Dolenz was Corky in Circus Boy ........

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 18, 2021 18:16

bob r
I think the rub with the Monkees is that on their 1st 2 albums the bulk of the music was provided by the wrecking crew-- but, so what ? A lot of bands at that time did the same thing: early Beach Boys, the Byrds,Paul Revere and the Raiders, lots of bands. Pet Sounds features about 99% studio musicians-- Smile too. So whats the big deal ? The Monkees catalog is awesome. They should be in the R&R Hall of Fame

But the creators of The Monkees created a monster they eventually lost their control over. The members learned to play their instruments and got more influence over their career than was meant.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: January 18, 2021 21:35

I tend to agree with the original posters thoughts. I think the TV friendly groups like The Monkees, Paul Revere & The Raider, Hermans Hermits are really dealt a shit hand by "rock snobs" These groups were the pioneers of moving the medium forward. They drove TV, record sales, concerts (usually caravans of some sort, trends, clothing, etc..

Quite frankly without Paul Revere, Monkees, Hermits we could have had a much different late 60's and early 70's rock landscape. I find it criminal that these type of groups are so under represented in the RnR Hall. We ooh and ahh over some obscure blues guys that really weren't very good and hail them as Pioneers.

The Monkees, Paul Revere, Hermits, and others had their place in history and for whatever reason are looked down upon. I hope this will change but there doesn't seem to be much love for the pop sound that really shaped RnR of the late 60's and early 70's. Shameful in my opinion.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 19, 2021 12:51

Totally agree with timmyj3 smileys with beer

Date: January 19, 2021 13:43

Yep, I'm with you there, timmyj3.......I'm a believer in fact......

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 19, 2021 14:17

timmyj3
I tend to agree with the original posters thoughts. I think the TV friendly groups like The Monkees, Paul Revere & The Raider, Hermans Hermits are really dealt a shit hand by "rock snobs" These groups were the pioneers of moving the medium forward. They drove TV, record sales, concerts (usually caravans of some sort, trends, clothing, etc..

Quite frankly without Paul Revere, Monkees, Hermits we could have had a much different late 60's and early 70's rock landscape. I find it criminal that these type of groups are so under represented in the RnR Hall. We ooh and ahh over some obscure blues guys that really weren't very good and hail them as Pioneers.

The Monkees, Paul Revere, Hermits, and others had their place in history and for whatever reason are looked down upon. I hope this will change but there doesn't seem to be much love for the pop sound that really shaped RnR of the late 60's and early 70's. Shameful in my opinion.

I don't understand your mail. You name three bands that do not have a lot in common. There is nothing wrong with those bands as such. However, in terms of impact on the global popular music scene, their contribution is mediocre. Dave Clark Five was very popular for a short time in the USA thanks to a clever promotionele team and the band consisting of pretty boys. Their musical development was very limited however, so over time they washed themselves off the front lines. So was Herman's Hermits. Popular pretty boys, with some cute teenybopper hits (girls in our highschool class acted really funny on their music), but far, far away from Rock 'n Rock (read Uptempo Blues, etc.). Maybe someone should start a Teenybopper Music Hall of Fame. They will be high on the list of entrees. There's no place in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame for "the voice" Frank Sinatra, right? Great artist, but NOT rock 'n roll cool smiley; The Monkeys touch R 'n R with some good Neil Diamond stuff, but impact on the rock 'n roll music scene .... not really.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 19, 2021 14:30

Good post, georgie48. Whilst these groups were all popular in many regions - although, Paul Revere and The Raiders barely registered in the U.K. -, their lasting impact and influence is minimal. Many have moaned about the likes of Nirvana and Radiohead being inducted, yet, they're two highly influential, groundbreaking acts. Being of the 60's generation shouldn't be a free ticket; and it isn't.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 19, 2021 16:51

OK -Not looking for any argument, BUT: These acts are IN the R&R Hall of Fame

Joan Baez (?), Donna Summer , Depeche Mode, Whitney Huston (??? )--- What do they have to do with Rock n Roll ??
They are in and bands like the Monkees, The Raiders, The Turtles, J Geils, etc are not ???????? Really ? I would say they had a lot more to add to the Rock n roll landscape than Joan or Whitney...........

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 19, 2021 18:42

bob r

Joan Baez (?), Donna Summer , Depeche Mode, Whitney Huston (??? )--- What do they have to do with Rock n Roll ??
They are in and bands like the Monkees, The Raiders, The Turtles, J Geils, etc are not ???????? Really ? I would say they had a lot more to add to the Rock n roll landscape than Joan or Whitney...........

So true, not to mention the rappers.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 19, 2021 20:02

bob r

The question mark cases you mention are big question marks for me too. I saw J Geils way back in 1982 in Rotterdam (Stones concert off course grinning smiley) and they were very good r 'n r at the time. I didn't follow them after that, so don't know their possible impact. I'd better not look at the total list, because I may turn up disappointed ....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 19, 2021 20:34

My oldest brother was a big fan of The Monkees. He followed them on TV, and he bought all their records. I enjoyed outdoor life then, biking, delivering newspapers, climbing trees, and jumping on ice flakes on the fjord, so without any TV time I did not bother much about The Monkees. However, I do remember they did a song called "Daydream Believer", I liked it, and I was impressed about the fact that hired actors could actually make great music.

Then I finally had enough money for my very own record player in 1971, and I bought my very first album, it was not a Monkees album, it was "Sticky Fingers". Who knows, if I had spent less outdoor time, and more TV time, late 60's, that first record might have been a Monkees record, and I might have missed out on the Stones? Nah... I don't think so.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2021 22:50

Jack Nicholson was co writer and
producer of the Monkees film Head ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 20, 2021 01:00

> the Monkees, The Raiders, The Turtles, J Geils

Which one sticks out like a sore thumb in that group? And how do they stand out from the crowd?

jb

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 21, 2021 00:54

bv
My oldest brother was a big fan of The Monkees. He followed them on TV, and he bought all their records. I enjoyed outdoor life then, biking, delivering newspapers, climbing trees, and jumping on ice flakes on the fjord, so without any TV time I did not bother much about The Monkees. However, I do remember they did a song called "Daydream Believer", I liked it, and I was impressed about the fact that hired actors could actually make great music.

Then I finally had enough money for my very own record player in 1971, and I bought my very first album, it was not a Monkees album, it was "Sticky Fingers". Who knows, if I had spent less outdoor time, and more TV time, late 60's, that first record might have been a Monkees record, and I might have missed out on the Stones? Nah... I don't think so.

Uhhh....NO.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

:OT The Monkees
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 5, 2021 19:21

THE MONKEES ANNOUNCE FAREWELL TOUR DATES

[www.monkees.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 5, 2021 19:26

Music industry creation, like N*Sync, Milli Vanilli, The Sex Pistols (Sid couldn't play bass, at all, and they ripped off their whole look from Richard Hell), etc.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 6, 2021 03:52

I grew up watching the reruns in the early eighties on whatever station.

My sister & I watched it every day. We know every song by heart.

I'd see them if they were coming to my city just to say I saw them.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 6, 2021 05:34

NashvilleBlues
Music industry creation, like N*Sync, Milli Vanilli, The Sex Pistols (Sid couldn't play bass, at all, and they ripped off their whole look from Richard Hell), etc.

So whats your point? Why even post that?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 6, 2021 14:41

One of the ironies of having been seven years old in 1966 is that the Monkees, stars of a live-action TV show, seemed more "real" to me than the Beatles, who I knew only as cartoon characters.

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: May 6, 2021 14:58

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but their latest LP "Good Times" is absolutely fantastic.
It took me a minute to realize how great it is because my initial reaction was, "oh, they're just trying to make a 60's sounding record" but then I thought, "What the hell else do I want from the Monkees?"
The album includes songwriting credits from Rivers Cuomo, Noel Gallagher and others.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2021 15:32

downagain
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but their latest LP "Good Times" is absolutely fantastic.
It took me a minute to realize how great it is because my initial reaction was, "oh, they're just trying to make a 60's sounding record" but then I thought, "What the hell else do I want from the Monkees?"
The album includes songwriting credits from Rivers Cuomo, Noel Gallagher and others.

The "Summer" song on that album stands up to their best work.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 6, 2021 15:46

Cooltoplady
NashvilleBlues

So whats your point? Why even post that?

Because this is a place to post opinions, right? Not my cup of tea. Just saying they are about on par with the Chuck E Cheese robot animal band. Not much integrity. I'm not going to stop anyone from enjoying them. No need to get so butt-hurt about it.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home