Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Pitch tones
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:20

Are some of the pitch tones on The Rolling Stones cds and downloads speeded up? Because when I lower the pitch 1or 2semitones they sound so much better

Re: Rolling Stones Pitch tones
Posted by: z ()
Date: December 2, 2020 09:11

Fingerprint File is speeded up.
Beggars Banquet was slowed down (corrected in 2002 I think).
Any others..?

Date: December 2, 2020 10:53

Mick's vocals on Angie. The tape ran slower when he recorded it, according to Miller.

Date: December 2, 2020 11:09

DandelionPowderman
Mick's vocals on Angie. The tape ran slower when he recorded it, according to Miller.

I"ve never heard of it. Was this done because Mick was having trouble reaching the high notes?

Date: December 2, 2020 11:11

z
DandelionPowderman

I"ve never heard of it. Was this done because Mick was having trouble reaching the high notes?

Yep. I think the interview with Jimmy Miller was posted here a few weeks ago. Great interview, btw.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 2, 2020 12:39

one of the weirdest things the Stones ever uploaded on youtube was a "Doom and Gloom Live Video" which consisted of random 2012 live clips (partially in slomo) playing over a sped-up studio version of the song. That didn't make any sense at all

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 2, 2020 18:17

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman

Yep. I think the interview with Jimmy Miller was posted here a few weeks ago. Great interview, btw.

Yes, a pretty common studio technique. Led Zeppelin, amongst others, also get an honourable mention here ("The Song Remains The Same" and other stuff). Usually noticable when live versions of certain songs have the melody of the lead voice altered to avoid the high notes that appear in the studio versions.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 2, 2020 18:19

A lot of songs sound better if you lower the pitch tone.I lowered it on Time Waits For No One Angie andothers and both sound much better.

Date: December 2, 2020 19:21

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman

Yes, a pretty common studio technique. Led Zeppelin, amongst others, also get an honourable mention here ("The Song Remains The Same" and other stuff). Usually noticable when live versions of certain songs have the melody of the lead voice altered to avoid the high notes that appear in the studio versions.

Yeah, onstage Mick usually alters the melody, but in the promo videos he doesn't seem to have much problem going up.

Date: December 2, 2020 21:08

DandelionPowderman

That's funny, when I played along my guitar tuner says exactly 440Hz. That would imply that the entire band was recorded with a slower running tape, not Jagger only.Or am I missing something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 21:34 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 2, 2020 21:51

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

That's funny, when I played along my guitar tuner says exactly 440Hz. That would imply that the entire band was recorded with a slower running tape, not Jagger only.Or am I missing something?

The band was recorded normally and the tape was slowed down only during the vocal overdub. When played back at the right speed, the whole thing goes back to "440Hz" and only Mick's part is actually manipulated.

Date: December 2, 2020 21:56

z
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

The band was recorded normally and the tape was slowed down only during the vocal overdub. When played back at the right speed, the whole thing goes back to "440Hz" and only Mick's part is actually manipulated.

Yup, I missed that. Thanks, I was thinking too deep. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 22:08 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: December 4, 2020 17:09

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman

Can't find that interview, can you please post it here? Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home