Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: OT: Survey - What's the best American rock band of all time?
Date: December 1, 2020 16:10

A Spinal Tap-moment from hell! LOL, that must have been something to witness grinning smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 1, 2020 16:21

dcba
Witness
What about Sonic Youth, also mentionned on Page 2 of the thread?

sad smiley eye rolling smiley confused smiley

It seems that your response is not to be read as a recommendation of Sonic Youth on your part.

Well, I think I myself prefer Sonic Youth to your suggestion, Jane's Addiction, by whom that I have got a couple of albums, quite good, but not up to nominating that band.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 1, 2020 17:09

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 1, 2020 17:22

Zappa’s band

Date: December 1, 2020 18:04

Koen
Zappa’s band

Which one? cool smiley

"A good guitar solo smells". Frank Zappa.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 1, 2020 19:03

TheflyingDutchman
Koen
Zappa’s band

Which one? cool smiley

"A good guitar solo smells". Frank Zappa.

Haha.

All of them smoking smiley

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 1, 2020 19:12

THE 60'S....The Byrds, Paul Revere & the Raiders, The Rascals, The Turtles

The 70's.... Allman Bros, The Dead, The E Street Band

Currently....for my money it would have to be Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives--- fantastic

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 1, 2020 19:28

bob r
THE 60'S....The Byrds, Paul Revere & the Raiders, The Rascals, The Turtles

The 70's.... Allman Bros, The Dead, The E Street Band

Currently....for my money it would have to be Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives--- fantastic

Was liking the picks broken down by decade.. until I read the current one and remembered it's "best American rock band of all time" winking smiley

Like Marty and I'm sure The Superlatives are <insert superlative>, but country.
If we were doing country and allowed to include Blank and The blanks..
Johnny Cash and The Tennessee Two would take the title.

Date: December 1, 2020 19:37

DandelionPowderman
A Spinal Tap-moment from hell! LOL, that must have been something to witness grinning smiley

Shocked I remember it so vividly tbh. Given that I was 15, and mushrooms were "all the rage" back then.
Alice wasn't the only one who tripped that night winking smiley

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: December 1, 2020 19:53

The original Santana band deserves a mention.

In the modern arena rock era, Phish sits on top of Jamband Mountain.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:09

Jimi Hendrix Experience.

...though 2 of those dudes are Brits.

but, it's Jimi's name on the album sleeve.

boom.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:18

Which "Byrds" are we talking about? Because if it is the "original" Byrds, one should know they did not play on their albums for the most part, it was studio musicians. That was mostly because they could not play worth a darn. Their big claim to fame were the dancers from some guys hippie dance troupe who would show up at the Whiskey A Go Go or wherever and make it seem like they had a big following. There are a number of books on this period and on the Byrds specifically. They sounded nothing like their records in person, I personally witnessed that on a couple of occasions.

So if you say The Byrds and mean the originals, you are actually commenting on an anonymous bunch of studio musicians (Glen Campbell may have been in there).

jb

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:22

‘I could put together the greatest rock ’n’ roll band you ever heard’.

Miles Davis, December 1969.

Date: December 1, 2020 20:23

Big Al
ChrisL
I’m not great at ranking anything, but I suppose the Beach Boys must be near the top of the list.
If the Jimi Hendrix Experience is allowed with two Brits, then that would be in the conversation obviously.

As two of the members are British and they formed in London, I would argue, correctly, that they were not an American band. They’re a London band, that counted an American as a member.

hahahaha....Jimi is "counted as a member"....really?

so...he's basically Chuck Levell?

it's his band...he's American...it's an American band w/ 2 Brits lucky enough to be included in it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:34

stickyfingers101
Big Al
ChrisL
I’m not great at ranking anything, but I suppose the Beach Boys must be near the top of the list.
If the Jimi Hendrix Experience is allowed with two Brits, then that would be in the conversation obviously.

As two of the members are British and they formed in London, I would argue, correctly, that they were not an American band. They’re a London band, that counted an American as a member.

it's his band...he's American...it's an American band w/ 2 Brits lucky enough to be included in it.

How could we judge The Winos? An American band that counted an Englishman as a member? Or an English band with many Americans lucky enough to be included in it..? grinning smiley

Not that I think there would be a 'right' answer for questions like that....

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:45

DandelionPowderman

I don't count solo acts with a backing band (Bruce, Petty etc) as bands.

But what is then when a solo act called Bob Dylan had a backing band called Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers? Two solo acts plus a backing band? A solo act backed by a solo act and his backing band....?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 20:45 by Doxa.

Date: December 1, 2020 20:46

jbwelda
Which "Byrds" are we talking about? Because if it is the "original" Byrds, one should know they did not play on their albums for the most part, it was studio musicians. That was mostly because they could not play worth a darn. Their big claim to fame were the dancers from some guys hippie dance troupe who would show up at the Whiskey A Go Go or wherever and make it seem like they had a big following. There are a number of books on this period and on the Byrds specifically. They sounded nothing like their records in person, I personally witnessed that on a couple of occasions.

So if you say The Byrds and mean the originals, you are actually commenting on an anonymous bunch of studio musicians (Glen Campbell may have been in there).

jb

You're saying McGuinn didn't play his 12 string? Clarke didn't play his drums? Hillman didn't play bass? Gene didn't sing? Roger didn't sing?

I'll believe that someone wiped Croz's guitar (not his vocals, though), but the rest is not correct. When they had session musicians on board (when Clarence became involved), they were credited.

If Campbell played on those two first albums, that would have been a waste. They didn't become a big band because of accomplished playing, it was the songs and that wonky, jangling sound!

EDIT:

Here are the guests on their debut album. Session guys on 2 out of 12 tracks:

The Byrds

Jim McGuinn – lead guitar, vocalsGene Clark – rhythm guitar, tambourine, vocalsDavid Crosby – rhythm guitar, vocalsChris Hillman – electric bassMichael Clarke – drums

Additional Personnel

Jerry Cole – rhythm guitar (tracks 1, 8)Larry Knechtel – electric bass (tracks 1, 8)Leon Russell – electric piano (tracks 1, 8)Hal Blaine – drums (tracks 1, 8)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 20:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 1, 2020 20:59

Doxa
stickyfingers101
Big Al
ChrisL

How could we judge The Winos? An American band that counted an Englishman as a member? Or an English band with many Americans lucky enough to be included in it..? grinning smiley

- Doxa

I think that is precisely correct....

I simply think Jimi Hendrix Experience is American b/c it's clearly HIS band.

Band of Gypsies...same thing w/ one less Brit and one more Yank.

I'd call the Winos a British band...b/c their leader is British.

not that I know anything....so there is also that.

Santana is a very interesting one to me...he was born in Mexico, but migrated to the US....which is where he formed his band.

....from my understanding.

your point is valid...that's my point.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 1, 2020 21:06

The Doors

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 1, 2020 21:23

My vote: Van Halen

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: December 1, 2020 21:40

Grateful Dead.

Date: December 1, 2020 21:57

Torres

Interesting. After "Bitches Brew" Miles sent McLaughlin out, "go for yourself" and there came the Mahavishu Orchestra. Only problem: John McLaughlin is the only Englishman in the band hence a bastard.smoking smiley

The Mahavishnu Orchestra "One Word".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 22:00 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 1, 2020 22:21

stickyfingers101
Jimi Hendrix Experience.

...though 2 of those dudes are Brits.

but, it's Jimi's name on the album sleeve.

boom.

This is an interesting one for sure.

Always been proud of the fact that Jimi was not only from my hometown, but the same neighborhood growing up.
But the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I don't think I could ever think of as a "Seattle" band. Jimi.. definitely a Seattle artist though.

That said.. also tough to count them as a London band, with Jimi being the main attraction and in the band name. Closer to that than a Seattle band though.

J Geils Band is also a bit unique in that one of the members is indeed Jay Geils, but not being the "star" of the band, the name in the title issue isn't as relevant.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 1, 2020 22:27

1. The Doors (all American)

2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1/3 American)

3. Van Halen (David Lee Roth era) / The Beach Boys

4. Nirvana / Guns'N Roses

Aerosmith/Eagles
CCR
Allman Bros.
Boston

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 23:48 by KevinM.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 1, 2020 22:32

Surprised and happy to see Nirvana get the nod. I’m sticking with the doors though.

Date: December 1, 2020 23:20

TheflyingDutchman
Torres

Interesting. After "Bitches Brew" Miles sent McLaughlin out, "go for yourself" and there came the Mahavishu Orchestra. Only problem: John McLaughlin is the only Englishman in the band hence a bastard.smoking smiley

After Jack Johnson, surely? McLaughlin is very much present on Jack Johnson. Great album, btw.

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: December 1, 2020 23:29

Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane

Date: December 1, 2020 23:34

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Torres

After Jack Johnson, surely? McLaughlin is very much present on Jack Johnson. Great album, btw.

Could have been after "Jack Johnson" indeed/ after a gig with Miles in oktober or November 1970. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 23:48 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 2, 2020 00:35

stickyfingers101
Doxa
stickyfingers101
Big Al
ChrisL

- Doxa

I think that is precisely correct....

I simply think Jimi Hendrix Experience is American b/c it's clearly HIS band.

Band of Gypsies...same thing w/ one less Brit and one more Yank.

I beg to differ here. The JHE were an English band as a collective, even though Hendrix was American, and the group’s biggest and virtually only star among the three. His rise to fame is inseparable from all things Swinging London. Even his moniker, Jimi Hendrix as opposed to James (Jimmy) Hendricks, was adopted over there.

As for the Band of Gypsys, they were different animals. Billy Cox and Buddy Miles are both American and the group was formed in NYC, so they were an American band.

Finally, you confuse the BOG with his pre and post-BOG lineups in which Hendrix was backed by Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell. It would be acceptable to call both periods as American bands, but Hendrix is felt more like a solo artist to me then — even though his Woodstock big combo was often referred to as Gypsy Suns and Rainbows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 03:33 by RisingStone.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 2, 2020 00:41

Why is it that Americans have so many pivotal individuals (Muddy, Chuck, Elvis...) but no band which can really compete with British bands? (I am not British!)

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home