Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
OT: Survey - What's the best American rock band of all time?
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:32

It's a pretty simple question to ask, but seems to be a little more difficult to answer to everyone's general satisfaction. What is the best American rock band of all time? Which ones are able to stand shoulder to shoulder on a list with the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, ect? and where would they rank on the best of all time? (If you're the type of person who is into ranking subjective things like this, of course.)

Whenever I've been in an online discussion of the subject, invariably every single band that gets mentioned has their strong detractors. "Whoever it is, it sure isn't (Band X), that's for sure!" is a common quote.

America has a lot of great, historic individual artists like Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, ect. but who are the best bands?

I have my opinions, but I'd love to hear everyone else's if possible. Please let me know what you think!

Re: OT: Survey - What's the best American rock band of all time?
Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:38

The Doors

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:40

I’m not great at ranking anything, but I suppose the Beach Boys must be near the top of the list.
If the Jimi Hendrix Experience is allowed with two Brits, then that would be in the conversation obviously.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:42

Mostly canadians but Levon makes 'em american;

THE BAND

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:45

The Doors.
Consistent over their 6 albums
Individually gifted, The Organ, the guitar, the drumming and the voice/words of Morrison.
Brilliant live act when they were on it.
Captured the expanse of America in their music.
Very atmospheric.

The quintessential American band for me....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:45

Alice Cooper Group. After that there's many including KISS, Cheap Trick and even Aerosmith. But first I'm thinking Jimi Hendrix Experience for the biggest splash.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:47

ChrisL
I’m not great at ranking anything, but I suppose the Beach Boys must be near the top of the list.
If the Jimi Hendrix Experience is allowed with two Brits, then that would be in the conversation obviously.

As two of the members are British and they formed in London, I would argue, correctly, that they were not an American band. They’re a London band, that counted an American as a member.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:50

Big Al
ChrisL

As two of the members are British and they formed in London, I would argue, correctly, that they were not an American band. They’re a London band, that counted an American as a member.

I don’t disagree, just raising the question.
Band of Gypsies was more American, but less great.

I also think Levon, as one of my favorite signers, should make the Band count. Especially since I just got a Music from Big Pink super deluxe box for 27 pounds recently.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:51

Captain and Tennille...hehe

Of course, it is Bruce & E Street Band

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:52

"Whoever it is, it sure isn't (The Doors), that's for sure!" winking smiley

Personal rankings would be different (Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band, J Geils Band, Tedeschi-Trucks etc., but the contenders based on popularity, sales, impact etc. would have to be..
Grateful Dead
Beach Boys
CCR
The Band (I know.. Canadian blend)
Allman Brothers
The Doors
Temptations

Forgetting a few obvious ones I'm sure, and plenty of newer bands to consider, but I'd give it to...
The Grateful Dead

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:58

QOTSA?
The Gun Club?
NIN?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:00

The best American bands tended to present themselves as X and the bandmates.
So I would say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. I have some reservations about Springsteen, but he's put out some brilliant albums, he's had amazing longevity, he's great live and he's captured a large part of the American experiences.
Springsteen lite would be Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
The other great American bands -- Beach Boys, Doors, Nirvana, The Ramones, the Band, Steely Dan, Eagles (ugh), R.E.M., Van Halen -- had much shorter peaks and captured a smaller slice of Americana.
Springsteen had the widest appeal, the longest career, the most disciplined artistic stance.
A completely different way to look at this is to say the Stones were the best American band, since they basically gave American music of all types back to us through their stance as outsiders.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:02

Velvet Underground
The Stooges
J. Geils Band
CCR
X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 00:02 by sdstonesguy.

Date: December 1, 2020 00:13

wonderboy
The best American bands tended to present themselves as X and the bandmates.
So I would say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. I have some reservations about Springsteen, but he's put out some brilliant albums, he's had amazing longevity, he's great live and he's captured a large part of the American experiences.
Springsteen lite would be Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
The other great American bands -- Beach Boys, Doors, Nirvana, The Ramones, the Band, Steely Dan, Eagles (ugh), R.E.M., Van Halen -- had much shorter peaks and captured a smaller slice of Americana.
Springsteen had the widest appeal, the longest career, the most disciplined artistic stance.
A completely different way to look at this is to say the Stones were the best American band, since they basically gave American music of all types back to us through their stance as outsiders.

Bruce is a solo act with a regular band.
Sure a couple of them stand out because of longevity, but honestly "The E Street Band" shouldn't be in contention.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:20

The E Street Band and Bruce for sure. And they play so damn well live that I wince when comparing them to the Stones sometimes.

The 1978 tour is historic and I am so glad that I experienced it. It was the best concert that I ever experienced in my life. Bruce Springsteen was on fire. Getting eighth-row tickets had something to do with it for sure. I can't remember how I got them.

It's sometimes easy to forget how much Bruce and his bandmates have done. Perhaps the fact that they never really tried to play the "bad and dangerous" rock band image thing makes them stand out a bit less than other bands. But they are the real thing.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:21

The Grateful Dead

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:25

the Stones were the best American band, since they basically gave American music of all types back to us through their stance as outsiders.

Yeah Yeah ya beat me to the pass ......

The Stones fed it out to the world and
yeah back to America who didnt realise the
amazing music that was living in their back-yard .....

Chuck ...Bo .... Wolf ... Jimmy ....Slim ... Rufus... Marvin ...
ALL on that first stunner of an album ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: chpoutre ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:28

A no brainer for me: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:33

Van Halen comes to mind

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:35

Not a fan, but Springsteen/E-Street Band would probably win the popular vote.

As for personal favorite....tough call....I would have probably said Creedence when I was 14, maybe the Doors when I was 15, a tie between Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd when I was 16,
Dead Kennedys when I was 17, X when I was 18, Stooges when I was 19, Ramones when I was 20, then back to a more traditional sound with ZZ Top when I was 21.
Right now I really couldn't pick just one....maybe The Monkees? winking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:40

I don't see Springsteen as a solo act. He's the band leader. He found musicians who accepted their roles and didn't fight for attention and credits.

Date: December 1, 2020 00:41

Not only rock, but to me it's TOTO. They used / integrated rock music and took it out of the old school rock music tradition up to a more interesting level. Fahrenheit is one of my favourite albums. Quite an effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 00:54 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:47

Big Al
ChrisL

Good point Big Al - similar in a way to the Pretenders.
Chrissie Hynde being the lone American, and while she is the front person/lead vocalist/center of attention, surely the Pretenders can't be considered an American band.

And then someone above mentioned CSNY - with one member being Canadian and another British, it's sort of hard to say they're an American Band....

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:51

CCR and The Doors, of course.

However, limiting the question to straight rock, it's Grand Funk Railroad.

All long and poodlehaired posers from the 80's onwards simply don't count.

Date: December 1, 2020 00:56

The J. Geils Band

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 1, 2020 01:02

the doors would get my vote

Date: December 1, 2020 01:02

retired_dog

All long and poodlehaired posers from the 80's onwards simply don't count.

Auch my friend, if you look at the Stones from the 8-tees and onwards they looked like poodlehaired posers. It's a matter of taste who counts or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 01:07 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 1, 2020 01:04

when I think rock band I'm thinking more hard rock so Van Halen. On other days, could be Aerosmith, KISS, Metallica, G'n'R.

Date: December 1, 2020 01:07

I could show up at a Bruce Springsteen concert and they could switch most of the members and I'd have no clue that they did or care really.

That's the measure.. would people pay the same and fill the stadiums if it were Bruce and The F Street Band? Yes.
The band isn't the draw. At all. He could put any backing band behind him. He's a solo act essentially.
Like Buddy Holly and The Crickets or Jimi Hendrix, or Big Brother or Silver Bullet or ... Once you highlight the "star", you're a solo act.

Date: December 1, 2020 01:08

DandelionPowderman
The J. Geils Band

smileys with beer
Ain't it the truth.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home