Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones for Nobel Peace Prize
Posted by: bhoftved ()
Date: November 29, 2020 19:40

Rolling Stones for the Peace Prize – mutual understanding irrespective of generations, ethnicity, political background through 60 years

Rolling Stones for the Peace Prize
Music creates mutual understanding and brotherhood across ethnicities, social classes, generations and cultures. The Rolling Stones have been touring all over the world for almost sixty years. During these years they have held over 2000 concerts. Everywhere they go, they encounter enthusiasm and joy. People flock to their concerts and enjoy the unity and music.Although it is the entirety of the Rolling Stones' contribution to brotherhood that must be considered for the Peace Prize, we will mention here a couple of the concerts where the Rolling Stones show their solidarity. We will also take a closer look at some of the record releases where the Stones take sides for the victims of war and disasters.

Solidarity concerts and contributions to reduce tension
As early as 1967, the band tried to break down the barriers between Eastern and Western Europe when they held a concert in Warsaw. They discovered that the tickets were reserved for members of the Communist Party and few tickets had been available to fans. To remedy this, they took singles and EPs out on the town and distributed them among young people they met on their tour. In this way, Polish young people also got to take part in the musical joy conveyed by the Rolling Stones.

After the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro began to nationalize industrial and American property in Cuba. The United States responded to nationalization by imposing trade restrictions. Cuba thus turned to the Soviet Union, which increased tensions in the region. In 2009, President Barack Obama began easing restrictions on Cuba. Obama also removed the country from the list of countries the United States believed funded terrorism.

As part of the process to ease the tension between Cuba and the United States, the Rolling Stones were planning a free concert in Havana. The concert was held in March 2016 for more than 500,000 Cubans and visitors. This was the same month that Barack Obama as the first American president since 1928 visited Cuba. With the free concert, the Rolling Stones wanted to help the Cuban people once again become part of the world community. Peace Prize winner Barack Obama has also expressed joy over the Rolling Stones' music and peace work, and not least the song, Gimme Shelter, which he considers his favorite.

In its almost 60-year career, the Rolling Stones have played concerts on all continents. Their music unites audiences in countries as diverse as the United Arab Emirates and Israel in the Middle East to China and Japan in Asia. They did not play in South Africa during apartheid but held their first concert there in 1995.

Songs with anti-war themes
In a 1995 interview with Rolling Stone, Mick Jagger was asked what the impact is on songs such as Midnight Rambler, Love in Vain and You Can't Always Get What You Want. Street Fighting Man says he is directly affected by the large demonstrations, especially in Paris, against the Vietnam War. Mick Jagger himself says in the interview with Rolling Stone:

Yeah, that was a direct inspiration, because by contrast, London was very quiet ... It was a very strange time in France. But not only in France but also in America, because of the Vietnam war and these endless disruptions ... I thought it was a very good thing at the time. There was all this violence going on. I mean, they almost toppled the government in France; de Gaulle went into this complete funk, as he had in the past, and he went and sort of locked himself in his house in the country. And so, the government was almost inactive. And the French riot police were amazing.

Gimme Shelther is just as relevant today with refugee crises on all continents. Mick Jagger characterizes it as "a kind of end-of-the-world song, really". It is about women and children who have to seek refuge from war and disasters and the background here is also the war in Vietnam.

Conclusion - The Rolling Stones' strong candidacy for the Nobel Peace Prize 2021

Throughout their extraordinarily long career, with a myriad of songs, albums and concerts around the world, the Rolling Stones have actively demonstrated that their music has a brotherly effect across many cultural and political contradictions. This was demonstrated by the Rolling Stones by giving a free concert in Havana in 2016 as a contribution to the reconciliation between Cuba and the United States.

One of The Rolling Stones' strongest peace-calling songs is, Gimme Shelter, and it has been played all over the world at concerts since the 60's. This long peace-building activity has so far not been sufficiently noticed and appreciated by the whole world, and therefore it is natural to propose The Rolling Stones for the Nobel Peace Prize 2021.
It will be difficult for the Nobel Committee to find a more internationally popular Peace Prize winner than the Rolling Stones.

We therefore strongly believe that The Rolling Stones are a very worthy candidate for the 2021 Peace Prize.

Suggested by

_______________________________ _____________________________
Bjørn Oscar Hoftvedt Thor Rieber-Mohn
former special advisor international issues business development consultant
bhoftved@online.no trieber@online.no
+47 911 42 433 + 47 922 58 888

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 20:35 by bv.

Re: Rolling Stones for Nobel Peace Prize
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 29, 2020 20:09

Nice explanations for something that would not only embarrass the members of The Rolling Stones, but I think many diehard Stones fans would no longer be able to look anybody straight into the eyes. Bob Dylan felt embarrassed, don't let that happen to the Stones.
"The greatest Rock 'n Roll band in the World" .... please, leave it with that!
winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 20:16 by georgie48.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 29, 2020 20:24

georgie48
Nice explanations for something that would not only embarrass the members of The Rolling Stones, but I think many diehard Stones fans would no longer be able to look anybody straight into the eyes. Bob Dylan felt embarrassed, don't let that happen to the Stones.
winking smiley

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 29, 2020 20:33

Firstly, Dylan was never awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Secondly, I don't agree with the proposal.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 29, 2020 20:43

Dylan won The Nobel Prize in Literature in 2016 "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".
Vastly different than the "Nobel Peace Prize".

Don't believe they should be considered seriously for it, but like and agree with some of the arguments for it. A Nobel Prize in Literature, as Bob received, highlighting their contributions, I wouldn't find embarrassing or objectionable, although not likely as there are many contenders ahead of them imo.

Was a bit humorous in '16 at Desert Trip, (where he won it in between the two weekends,) to hear the accolades from many of the other musicians there, including Mick and Keith, I think Bob appreciated them all, as well as the crowd enthusiasm.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 29, 2020 21:14

War is just a shot away, love is just a kiss away

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 29, 2020 21:39

oh come on – that's one of the most absurd things I ever heard…

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2020 21:43

paulywaul
georgie48
winking smiley

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

thumbs up

As Keith said regarding the knighting of Mick ("a paltry honour"), he'd probably say the same about a Nobel prize - whether for peace, literature, or whatever.
And he'd then say "Get the f*ck outta here"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 21:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 29, 2020 21:55

just a bad joke - yawn...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 29, 2020 22:10

As another Norwegian, I do not in any way support this proposal! Instead I find it an embarrassment for anybody!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 29, 2020 22:20

I find it all a bit daft but I do seem to recall the idea being kicked around about ten years ago.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 29, 2020 22:46

"Come now gentlemen, I know there's some mistake."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2020 23:33

....wait till they find out about The Blade .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 29, 2020 23:50

There are many bands and artists this sort of argument could be made about. IMO it trivializes the struggles of real peace activists around the world.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 30, 2020 00:01

All that they have to do is invent a newer and better form of dynamite and then they might get nominated.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 30, 2020 00:02

It’d be ludicrous. Then again, look at the kinds they dish-out knighthoods to.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: November 30, 2020 00:56

Isn't this a political topic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-30 00:56 by Torres.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 30, 2020 01:06

Torres
Isn't this a political topic?

No. Why would you draw attention to such a thing, anyway? If BV is unhappy, he’ll close the thread. There’s no need to stir.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 30, 2020 05:01

I actually think I would be proud to be nominated for the Nobel prize. Its not like its the Shammies or something, or even giving in to the "system" like with some royal decree (not familiar with the details). A nomination a very prestigious honor and has to be earned, and there is the sticking point. I really don't see the basis for the nomination much less ever a selection, but hey, if someone does, more power to them and I think even Keef would agree. Its one "trophy" worthy of space on ones mantle and puts you in pretty deep company.

jb

Date: November 30, 2020 10:34

In that case, this post above. Especially, the last sentence.

Aquamarine
There are many bands and artists this sort of argument could be made about. IMO it trivializes the struggles of real peace activists around the world.

Of cause, in addition, wagers of war sometimes receive the Noble Peace Price for ceasing their warfare. Then their socalled honour from winning the Noble Peace Price as such is quite mixed.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 30, 2020 11:44

It is accepted that one of the reasons why Phip Roth has not received the Nobel prize for Literature is his asserted/supposed misogenysm (I hope the word is correct). So, let's go:
The Spider And The Fly
Play With Fire
Out Of Time
Stupid Girl
Mother's Little Helper
Backstreet Girl
Stray Cat Blues
Brown Sugar
Some Girls
etc. etc.

The Rolling Stones are the greatest rock'n'roll band ever. Period.
IMO, no need to say
Luca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-30 11:44 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2020 11:49

Oh no, please...sad smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 30, 2020 13:58

It's not April Fools is it ?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 30, 2020 14:04

What’s next, Keith getting the Nobel Prize for medicine, because he is still alive? smoking smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 30, 2020 14:26

MisterDDDD
Dylan won The Nobel Prize in Literature in 2016 "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".
Vastly different than the "Nobel Peace Prize".

Don't believe they should be considered seriously for it, but like and agree with some of the arguments for it. A Nobel Prize in Literature, as Bob received, highlighting their contributions, I wouldn't find embarrassing or objectionable, although not likely as there are many contenders ahead of them imo.

Was a bit humorous in '16 at Desert Trip, (where he won it in between the two weekends,) to hear the accolades from many of the other musicians there, including Mick and Keith, I think Bob appreciated them all, as well as the crowd enthusiasm.

I'm sure Bob appreciated accolades from other famous musicians from his generation, but that's different. But the whole Nobel Prize circus (by the way, I didn't say "peace prize" winking smiley) did make him feel very uncomfortable ... cool smiley

Date: November 30, 2020 19:42

If Dylan could won a literature nobel prize obviously and accordingly the Rolling Stones (more deservedly) should win another one.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 30, 2020 22:20

Koen
What’s next, Keith getting the Nobel Prize for medicine, because he is still alive? smoking smiley

Better yet, chemistry!

Date: November 30, 2020 22:40

wonderboy
Koen

Better yet, chemistry!

Both obviously more relevant for the Stones than any strange Peace Price!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:02

Sorry, you're too late with your Peace Prize nomination. They're allready considering mine, from October.

The Little Rascals

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2020 20:49

Buckwheat ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home