Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: How Weird Was Frank Zappa?
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 1, 2020 01:13

he played live with pink floyd but claimed not to remember it.

Date: December 1, 2020 01:20

buttons67
he played live with pink floyd but claimed not to remember it.

Yup. PinkFloyd /Zappa.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 1, 2020 01:24

retired_dog
As weird as someone who wrote a song called "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?" can possibly be.

Nothing weird at all about a rock musician singing about catching an std winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 01:25 by ryanpow.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 1, 2020 02:18

If you havent been keeping up with the motherlode of great recordings coming out of the Zappa camp these last couple years, you are really missing out. If only the Stones would do something similar we would have something to talk about, about them.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2020 02:21

Yeah give us a short list jb
and will check 'em out ..... say the top ten from last few years ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 1, 2020 02:47

ryanpow
He named his daughter Moon Unit.

When Moon was a child, she fiddled with the equipment in Zappa's home studio, so Zappa was forced to move his studio to the attic.
Even that Zappa was irresistible to Moon.

Date: December 1, 2020 05:30

Rockman, well, first of all I only really like him pre about 1972, album wise, so thats where my choices would be. I am not real deep into him, more like think he is pretty atonal at times but generally pulls it out. I most appreciate the period from about Cruisin with Ruben And the Jets (doowop style) up to about the time Flo and Eddie departed, and a few more albums here and there. Thats about four years basically, after that I think his lyrics became too juvenile and his song compositions too stiff, so I stopped paying much attention. Could be I am ignorant of a lot of good material. So with that in mind, I would suggest:

Aforementioned Hot Rats Sessions, get the six cd set

3 volumes of Road Tapes, some super excellent live sets on these. Zappa was recording all his shows at this point and using them for rehearsals and otherwise terrorizing his musicians. Thats what these sets are, very good quality soundboards that sometimes end when the tape runs out.

Mothers 1970 just released recently, more recorded on the road, Flo and Eddie at their prime.

Cruising with Ruben and the Jets, this record was majorly remixed and even re-recorded some time ago. The result was pretty different from the original version. The original version can now be found on a release called "Greasy Love Songs". This is kind of LA Pachuco doo wop that you might like.

Imaginary Diseases: this is a live recording of a band he had only a short time around the time of the Grand Wazoo album (one of my all time orchestral favorites). He started a tour with a huge orchestra (the Grand Wazoo) but soon found it too unwieldly and expensive so he cut it down to half the size (the Petit Wazoo) and continued the one time only tour. This is a clean soundboard recording of one of the few concerts. It is fantastic and mostly if not all instrumental free form orchestral jazz if any of that makes sense.

Lumpy Money and Meat Light: expanded versions of the albums Lumpy Gravy, We Are Only In It for the Money, and Uncle Meat. Squack and toot atonal apples and a lot of riffing on the Oh No I Dont Believe It riff and his orchestral masterpiece (can't stand to listen all the way through myself) King Kong.

The various "MOFO" projects , MOFO standing for Making of Freak Out. X number of disks of MOFO versions and outtakes. A little too out there for me but some excellent pieces in there.

I don't know how close to a dozen that comes but between all those there are over twenty CDs. And the good thing is most of this is available very cheap especially if you shop around on ebay.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2020 05:39

Hey yeah thanks jb .....
I got a few of those early things
but never really shook me .... but hey if
I see the Hot Rats six Cd set i might grab it ...Fanks again man

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 1, 2020 07:18

Zappa held a press conference with Oiran girls in Tokyo in 1976.
Oiran is different from Geisha girl.grinning smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 5, 2021 16:06

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 5, 2021 16:57

He soon outgrew the hippie thang. He then went into cynicism. By 1979 he attracted both right and left wing people.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 5, 2021 19:25

Rockman
Robert Crumb's brother in the Crumb
doco ... now he's was kinda weird ....
Sittin on a bed of nails and feeding
a ball of string thru himself ta clean his bowels ....

hope he didnt use the same ball of string each time ... HHHHaaaaa

True! Thanks for reminding me, Rockeeee. I love that documentary.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 5, 2021 20:09

My friend Skip auditioned for Crumb's Cheap Suit Serenaders when he lived in Winters, California, and said it was the weirdest experience of his life. Didn't get the gig but after the experience said he didn't want the gig anyhow. Zappa didn't hold a candle to R Crumb in the weirdness department.

jb

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 6, 2021 00:07

Steve Vai talks about the audition for Frank Zappa:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 6, 2021 03:55

Very. And God bless him for it.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: February 6, 2021 11:09

I really didn’t understand exactly what was meant by “ paleocon” and “libertarian”. When I think of Frank Zappa, I ask myself “What bloody chords are you playing and where is this bloody going?!”

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 6, 2021 15:24

Frank was rock and roll's wise sage. As an impressionable teenager, following his advice helped me avoid life's major pitfalls like this one: Don't you eat that yellow snow and watch out where the huskies go!
Precious, precious insight!winking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-06 15:59 by Sighunt.

Date: February 6, 2021 16:09

Sighunt
Frank was rock and roll's wise sage. As an impressionable teenager, following his advice helped me avoid life's major pitfalls like this one: Don't you eat that yellow snow and watch out where the huskies go!
Precious, precious insight!winking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: February 7, 2021 17:23

..His guitar solos will always be cool, I guess you could say some of his lyrics did not "age well"? Had he lived, I'm sure he would have had a ball using the Clintons, Bush 43, Trump, social media, etc. as fodder for some biting social commentary? And I guess the Cancel Culture crowd would have to take a shot at him? Oh well, he wouldn't have cared! I miss FZ...AND Lou Reed!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 7, 2021 17:38

I thought the first couple Mothers albums were interesting , I liked Hot Rats and "Weasels Ripped My Flesh", but overall I never understood the "genius" tag that Zappa attained. I find a LOT of his stuff unlistenable.

He did that live show with Lennon at the Fillmore that was ok, but he wound up angry at Lennon / ono because he felt they ripped him off somehow, although on his final album that came out before he died The Yellow Shark, he thanked Ono ( she put up some of the $$$ to make the album )

I guess what put me off about Zappa was his smugness- he always talked like he was much hipper than anyone else---good guitar player though

Date: February 7, 2021 19:43

>because he felt they ripped him off somehow,

Lennon released his guest spot with Zappa and claimed authorship of the songs even though they were Zappa compositions. "Somehow" that seems like a rip off to me.

And he (Zappa) was always hipper than anyone else, so again, for good reason.

jb

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: February 8, 2021 01:26

Love to watch his interviews on YT.

Nowadays artists have their PR teams, taking care of social media, making sure all is very nice and politically correct, aligned with the 'causes' of the world, that change from day to day.

FZ was the opposite of that. It's clear he was an intelligent person, with taste and a critic view, and had no problem in standing for what he believed. That in itself is worth of big respect, I think. Yes, he was also provocative, maybe arrogant at times, but that was also part of his substance. He polarized people and opinions, and that's what great men and women do.

I also 'don't get' some of his music, and can't listen to some of his stuff. But he also didn't make it for me to like it. He never cared for the pop charts, either.

People hear say he was a genius, go listen to his music, and don't understand where the adjective comes from. I think we was a marvellous person, and unfortunately I was too young to have seen him live when he was around.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 9, 2021 05:30

I'm sure Zappa was bright but not as bright as he promoted himself as. He was talented but not to the point where the reams of product seem justified. And weird like a fox.

Peaches in Regalia
Willie the Pimp
A lot of Apostrophe

And I'm good. And I like that the Mothers broke into the pipe organ at Royal Alpert Hall (I think) to play Louie Louie.

Date: February 9, 2021 10:47

Rockman
Yeah I get that with Dylan ....
A lot of the time the interviews
are way more interesting than his songs

I feel exactly the same than you.

We should not say it close to a dylan fan though...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 10, 2021 13:44

A master of the fret board and such a gifted songwriter . There is nothing cookie cutter about him and he is so unique in how he carved his way into history . One of the greats who I miss !

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home