Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: How Weird Was Frank Zappa?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 28, 2020 16:23

Interesting little read. Zappa is, IMHO, one of those people who you dig or don't. This article made me think of a statement used re many prominent folks: He/she's the type of person who believes their own publicity clippings.

[newrepublic.com]

Re: OT: How Weird Was Frank Zappa?
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 28, 2020 16:55

Meh. Tepid article which is a political slam under the guise of a documentary review.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 28, 2020 18:19

Frank Zappa was "weird"

All geniuses are "weird"

Therefore, Frank Zappa was a genius.

jb

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 28, 2020 18:37

Here's another good article on the new documentary.

[relix.com]

Date: November 28, 2020 19:39

Zappa was a genius.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 28, 2020 19:49

I consider him part of the Jack Kerouac/Lenny Bruce moment that was submerged by the boomers.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 28, 2020 19:52

In fact Zappa was quite normal. It's most other people that are weird.

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: November 28, 2020 21:39

This weird:

jb

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2020 22:14

jbwelda
Frank Zappa was "weird"

All geniuses are "weird"

Zappa was an ego-inflated idiot who thought he was intelligent... make that VERY intelligent because he worked in a medium (rock music) where 90% people have little or no cultural background. Zappa had heard two records by Edgar Varese and kinda understood how dodecaphonic music works, and wham! he suddenly thought he was (very much) above the pack.
Well no Frankie... You were a mediocre dude with a mediocre output, your disdain for humanity doesn't make a genius.

Our Keith, who correctly understood "rock comes from the crotch", is much more influential than Frankie, a man nobody talks about him anymore ... apart from his sons who try very hard to not let the "Zappa Incorporated" fall into oblivion and go bankrupt.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2020 22:16

met a few chicks who were weird
but believe me none of them were geniuses .... hhhhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 28, 2020 22:18

Zappa is someone whom I like to watch being interviewed and to read about, yet, have very little desire to explore musically. I know of his albums, but don’t particularly feel the urge to listen to them.

Date: November 28, 2020 22:22

Yeah I get that with Dylan ....
A lot of the time the interviews
are way more interesting than his songs

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2020 22:24

dcba
jbwelda
Frank Zappa was "weird"

All geniuses are "weird"

Zappa was an ego-inflated idiot who thought he was intelligent... make that VERY intelligent because he worked in a medium (rock music) where 90% people have little or no cultural background. Zappa had heard two records by Edgar Varese and kinda understood how dodecaphonic music works, and wham! he suddenly thought he was (very much) above the pack.
Well no Frankie... You were a mediocre dude with a mediocre output, your disdain for humanity doesn't make a genius.

Our Keith, who correctly understood "rock comes from the crotch", is much more influential than Frankie, a man nobody talks about him anymore ... apart from his sons who try very hard to not let the "Zappa Incorporated" fall into oblivion and go bankrupt.

Somebody doesn’t understand irony.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2020 00:03

I saw him live in '79 or '80 at the Santa Monica Civic, and I can attest to the fact that Frank was WEIRD!!!
I've always sort of enjoyed a fews sporadic tunes here and there w/ the Apostrophe album probably being my favorite - but for the most part he's never been my cup of tea really.
There was a live instrumental guitar cd (or cassette) compilation released in the '90's I used to have that was nice, but I can't think of the name of it, and not sure if I even still have it.
These days the only Zappa tune I can listen to and enjoy on a regular basis is Trouble Everyday from '66.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 00:05 by Hairball.

Date: November 29, 2020 00:16

Hot Rats is an amazing album. Seems I’m not the only one to think so: [www.allmusic.com]

Date: November 29, 2020 00:38

Robert Crumb's brother in the Crumb
doco ... now he's was kinda weird ....
Sittin on a bed of nails and feeding
a ball of string thru himself ta clean his bowels ....

hope he didnt use the same ball of string each time ... HHHHaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 29, 2020 00:47

Get Hot Rats Sessions, you will not regret it.

He was a control freak genius. A large part of his genius was in choosing sidemen to play with and to use to create what he heard in his head. It was grueling working with him evidently, most could not take it for long.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 03:14 by jbwelda.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 29, 2020 04:15

jbwelda
Get Hot Rats Sessions, you will not regret it.

He was a control freak genius. A large part of his genius was in choosing sidemen to play with and to use to create what he heard in his head. It was grueling working with him evidently, most could not take it for long.

jb

Like Flo and Eddie?

Date: November 29, 2020 06:25

Among others, yes.

jb

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 29, 2020 13:43

Adrian Belew remembers Ziggy and Zappa
[iorr.org]

Date: November 29, 2020 14:37

George Duke on Frank Zappa: "It was almost like Frank knew he didn't have a lot of time and had a lot to say". A priceless interview below.

RiP Frank and George.†

George Duke on Frank Zappa

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 29, 2020 16:00

Steve Vai remembers his audition with Zappa:

Zappa played something, and then ordered: “Play that!” Steve said “Okay,” and played it.
Zappa then said “Now play it in 7/8. Steve replied “Okay… “ and played it in 7.
Zappa said “Play it reggae 7/8.” Steve replied ‘Okay…’ and played it reggae 7/8.
Zappa said “Now add this note!’ Steve said “Okay…” and he did it.

He’s playing reggae 7/8 and adding all these different notes…
Finally Zappa says “Okay, now add this note!”
But it was physically impossible. Not just for Steve Vai, but for anyone. So Steve said “I can’t do that!”

“I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player,” Zappa sneered.

Steve got the gig.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 16:03 by schillid.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 30, 2020 11:07

He was an original. And he definitely marched to his own drummer. His guitar playing was fantastic. I couldn't get into all of it, but some of it was great. He was a master satirist. 'Trouble Every Day', from 1966, is as relevant today as it was then. We should celebrate that Frank was different. And he stood up for free speech. Besides, he liked the Stones better than the Beatles.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 30, 2020 15:55

Zappa was great, maybe a freak and love most of his albums

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 30, 2020 15:59

Rockman
Robert Crumb's brother in the Crumb
doco ... now he's was kinda weird ....
Sittin on a bed of nails and feeding
a ball of string thru himself ta clean his bowels ....

hope he didnt use the same ball of string each time ... HHHHaaaaa

I've seen Robert Crumb on the back of a lady backstage, like in his comics: "horsehide"

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: November 30, 2020 16:09

Hairball

.... There was a live instrumental guitar cd (or cassette) compilation released in the '90's I used to have that was nice, but I can't think of the name of it ......

Probably "Shut up and play yer Guitar""

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 30, 2020 18:45

He named his daughter Moon Unit.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2020 19:14

Phil Good
Hairball

.... There was a live instrumental guitar cd (or cassette) compilation released in the '90's I used to have that was nice, but I can't think of the name of it ......

Probably "Shut up and play yer Guitar""

No not that, it came out later than that, and out of curiosity just did a quick online search and found it.
It was simply titled "Guitar" and released in 1988.

Via wiki:

"Guitar is a 1988 live album by Frank Zappa. It is the follow-up to 1981's Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar; like that album it features Zappa's guitar solos excerpted from live performances, recorded between 1979 and 1984. It garnered Zappa his sixth Grammy nomination for "Best Rock Instrumental Performance". Guitar was originally intended to be a 3-record box set (like Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar), but Zappa decided, with this release, to start using compact discs as his primary distribution medium rather than records. As such, it was Zappa's first album to be released simultaneously on vinyl and CD. The double CD, released on Rykodisc in the US and Zappa Records in Europe, contained all 32 tracks while the double LP was pared down to 19 tracks and released on Zappa's Barking Pumpkin label (US) and Zappa Records (EU).

It's been many years since I've listened to it, and for some reason thought I possibly had it on cassette which could still be true as I didn't start buying cd's until the mid-'90's (and I know it wasn't vinyl),
but whether cd or cassette a good chance it's in the massive collection as I never get rid of anything - unless it was a cassette that became warped and/or was eaten by the player ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-30 19:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: November 30, 2020 22:51

I really dig FZ!!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:57

As weird as someone who wrote a song called "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?" can possibly be.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home