Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT RIP Diego Maradona
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 26, 2020 02:15

At a time when Scotland actually had a decent team, 18 year old Maradona came to Glasgow and scored his first ever international goal in a 3-1 win. I remember listening to this game on BBC Radio Scotland, aged 12. I suppose we should be honoured. RIP wee man. And he was a wee man, just 5 foot 5! (1.65m).

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: November 26, 2020 02:23

Hi,

Im from Argentina and would like just to add another point of view of Diego Maradona becouse I think or I feel that people are criyng somebody like Churchill.

Diego Armando Maradona was and incredible soccer player, one of the best of the times, but was only a soccer player, like a person he was and ass..le, he spend more than the half of his life beeing a cocaine addict, when he finally quit cocaine he start with alcohol. He support dictators like Fidel Castro in Cuba, he also support Chavez in Venezuela, then Maduro.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 26, 2020 03:15

RIP the greatest, from a Glasgow Celtic fan. You were a joy to watch play football.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 26, 2020 06:56

Fernandobsas
Hi,

Im from Argentina and would like just to add another point of view of Diego Maradona becouse I think or I feel that people are criyng somebody like Churchill.

Diego Armando Maradona was and incredible soccer player, one of the best of the times, but was only a soccer player, like a person he was and ass..le, he spend more than the half of his life beeing a cocaine addict, when he finally quit cocaine he start with alcohol. He support dictators like Fidel Castro in Cuba, he also support Chavez in Venezuela, then Maduro.

Bye
Fernando

La muerte quita la vida de la persona, pero queda la gloria. Nadie va a buscar entrevistas de Maradona, pero todos van a ver sus jugadas. Nadie nunca llegará a ese nivel.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 26, 2020 07:00

A number of posts say the greatest of all time. I don't follow soccer but I know who Maradona is. Was he better than Pele?

Date: November 26, 2020 07:06

My name is Diego, born in 1982, my father is a proud Argentinos Juniors fan and did watch the guy playing with 16 years old. I was talking to my relatives, and it was amazing. One is Boca Juniors fan, other River Plate fan, and other Independiente fan. All of them went at some game just to watch that boy with long curly hair. And they all tell the same: all rivals ended on the floor, ashamed. Gatti, one of the top goalkeepers in Boca history, told the press before a match against Argentinos Juniors "ese gordito no me puede hacer ni un gol" (more or less, that tiny fat guy can't even make me one goal). That day this tiny guy made not one, but FOUR goals. he was just that, pure explotion, anger, craftiness talent and magic. He made normal players shine.
Such a sad day. Football lost maybe his greatest player.
When we die, we all turn to dust. The man, with all his downs is no longer with us. But THAT goal, yes, the second one, will remain forever. And thousands of other goals and skills. May God have mercy on his soul.

Date: November 26, 2020 07:09

DGA35
A number of posts say the greatest of all time. I don't follow soccer but I know who Maradona is. Was he better than Pele?

The eternal struggle. Pele was amazing, and was always surrounded by amazing players. Brazil in 1970 was not only Pele. But Maradona in 1986 did have soldiers on his back, not amazing players. I think that's a pretty big difference. And also Messi, which is truly amazingly gifted, is also sorrounded by maybe the greatest players of this days.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 26, 2020 08:59

dandelion1967
Such a sad day. Football lost maybe his greatest player.
When we die, we all turn to dust. The man, with all his downs is no longer with us. But THAT goal, yes, the second one, will remain forever. And thousands of other goals and skills. May God have mercy on his soul.

The scene that Maradona earned a direct red card for a drop kicking to Batista of selecao Brasileira in 1982 was memorable moment for me.

Everybody in the world had a fondness for his philosophy: "I will not allow anyone standing in my way."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 26, 2020 09:15

RIP Diego.

Back in the 80's he was just out of this world. A genius. That he was, with justification, compared to legendary Pele tells it all.

Too early he left. So sad news for all the football lovers in the world.

- Doxa

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 26, 2020 10:39

Rest In Peace

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 26, 2020 11:08

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-27 11:17 by EddieByword.

Date: November 26, 2020 11:40

Just in case someone is not familiar with soccer and reads this thread.

Contemporary soccer does not admit/tolerate that defenders commit hard fouls against forward players.If so players are usually severely booked. The injuries rate is really low compared to Maradona times. At Maradona's time deliberately injuring/tackling an opponent was a commonplace. Maradona was fouled hundreds of times and could avoid hundreds thanks to his unbelievable skills/dexterity.
Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo might not have succeeded at that time as much as they are doing now. This fact makes Maradona even greater. You can see the ball literally sticked to his foot while he dribles through a cloud of opponents.

You may talk about great football players. And never mention Maradona. He is not a player. He is god.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-26 11:44 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 26, 2020 11:43

Fernandobsas
Hi,

Bye
Fernando

Well, despite doing something incredible during WW2, Churchill was more or less a scumbag or something not even his biggest fans aren't particularly fond of. It is those shining moments that matter and people remember - as with Maradona.

With respect, the time to point out person's worst doings isn't actually the moment having just heard the news about his death (if the case is not about, say, Adolf @#$%& or Osama Bin Laden). Surely there will come a time for those too. Just let the people mourn first and remember the person at his best. With Maradona there is a lot of great things to remember.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2020 11:46

yeah but people tear others lives
apart all the time .... nobody is perfect
.... Lets smile and remember the good times ...

RIP Diego

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: November 26, 2020 11:55

Rest In Peace Diego!

I appreciate the magic and fantasies you did with the ball on the field! You loved the game like no other and you defended your colors against everything and everyone with much pride!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 26, 2020 12:39

Big Al
Rest in peace, Diego Maradona

I’ll always remember my introduction to him: that wondrous effort against Nigeria at the ‘94 World Cup.

Just watched the goal on YouTube: it was against Greece, not Nigeria.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 26, 2020 12:55

To set this in perspective; football is the biggest sport in the world and Maradona is by many considered the greatest player. And I think icons like Maradona or Pelé represents hope for a great deal of people. Especially in South America. They both came from humble beginnings. You could compare with another great, our Björn Borg, for instance. Another sport, I know. Neither of them led perfect private lives but they are all admired and represent good memories and hope to people. And in fact - they are/were pretty nice guys privately. I don't think they would be loved otherwise.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 26, 2020 12:57

There is a documentary , I believe, on Netflix about Maradona. It's well done.
I am not a fan of soccer but I knew Maradona. Was that is real last Name? Like "Jagger"," Maradona" are last names with gusto in it; they sound powerful. Diego adored his Rolling Stones, like us.
Rest in peace Champion.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: November 26, 2020 13:05

His full name resonates even better, Rollmops. Diego Armando Maradona.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 26, 2020 13:43

Stoneage
His full name resonates even better, Rollmops. Diego Armando Maradona.

Amazing name, indeed!!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: November 26, 2020 14:03

Fernandobsas
Hi,

Bye
Fernando

And now Diego Maradona and Johan Cruijff can have a soccer game up there by their creator. A pity they never met in a real match. Let it be.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 26, 2020 15:13

Fernandobsas
Hi,

Bye
Fernando
Nice Fernando, a great soccer player but his politics and support for dictators left a lot to be desired as a human being....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 26, 2020 16:51

Is this when BV allows politics on the board? It gets hard to know when it is ok. Seemingly, Maradona's death is the appropriate time.

It is sad to see people here supporting General Videla and the Dirty War side of politics. Maybe Rega was more your cup of tea.

Date: November 26, 2020 16:59

ROPENI
Fernandobsas
Hi,

Bye
Fernando
Nice Fernando, a great soccer player but his politics and support for dictators left a lot to be desired as a human being....

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-26 19:50 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 26, 2020 17:05

TheflyingDutchman
Fernandobsas
Hi,

Bye
Fernando

And now Diego Maradona and Johan Cruijff can have a soccer game up there by their creator. A pity they never met in a real match. Let it be.

Can George Best join in? No mistake about it: if he’d been afforded the opportunity to perform on the world stage, he’d be as highly regarded, in my opinion. He was pals with the Stones and part of ‘Swinging London’, too. Actually, scrap that: his off-the-field exploits detract from his footballing genius.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 26, 2020 17:17

I recommend this one:

Date: November 26, 2020 19:07

sdstonesguy
Is this when BV allows politics on the board? It gets hard to know when it is ok. Seemingly, Maradona's death is the appropriate time.

It is sad to see people here supporting General Videla and the Dirty War side of politics. Maybe Rega was more your cup of tea.

Who supports Videla here? Maybe you need new glasses. It's all about football, and his greatest man. Piss off with politics.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 26, 2020 21:51

Never set well with me that his most famous play was dishonest ... and him gloating about it.
He was a bad guy in so many ways. That overshadows his soccer playing, imo.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 26, 2020 22:10

Fernandobsas
Hi,

Bye
Fernando

You are probably right, but how easy is it to be a world superstar and a living god-like divine icon? Fame can be difficult to handle and Maradona reached fame levels that very, very few people on this planet have experienced. And on this forum of all forums we should be careful not to condemn human beings that couldn’t handle fame for a while and got addicted to drugs and alcohol.

I guess this is is one of the reasons people love Maradona. It's not just about football. It’s not a cliché to say that he was a simple man or one of the people, because he was. He seemed to be genuinely uninterested and unimpressed by all the money and politics in football, but he was undoubtedly extremely passionate about the game itself. He was a fragile human being with a god given talent, a struggled genius blessed with brilliance and cursed with demons. And that is a real god people can relate to: Maradona shows there is potential for good and bad in all of us. And it is sad when a giant with such talents wasted so much of it. But I hope and think people all around the world will remember him for the right reasons.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 26, 2020 22:31

The Greatest of them all. My team in Italy since 30 years is Napoli and they were the last club to play at my home team's ground before it was demolished.

Yesterday early afternoon I played Modern Times by Bob Dylan. Then suddenly at around 14.30 CET I experienced such a strange, melancholic, shall I say morbid feeling. So I decided to play I'm Outta Time by Oasis. Then I went to work.

17.30, 3 hours later, I receive a phone call from South America, the missus's brother, and he tells me Diego has croaked.

San Paolo, Napoli's home ground is from today renamed Stadio Diego Armando Maradona. I hope the number 10 shirt is forever removed in football.

LIVE FOREVER DIEGO

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home