Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Most Desirable Exile pressing?
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 23, 2020 18:01

My wife is looking for x-mas gift ideas and I'd like to get an early or original pressing of Exile. Can someone please tell me which is the most desirable for sound and / or collectability pressing? COC number please. Not looking to spend a fortune. Really just looking for a VG to Excellent very early copy. Thanks.

Re: Most Desirable Exile pressing?
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 23, 2020 18:05

First advice:
Make sure the postcards are in there...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 23, 2020 18:09

Must be 12:

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 23, 2020 18:38

One with the postcards, pocket gatefold (aka “unipak”) and the lettering in burgundy/maroon, not pink.

A clean U.K. 1st pressing would trump a U.S. 1st, as they’re a British band, but an original Japanese pressing with the obi strip intact would be a nice trophy too. Sonically, the Japanese and German pressings would probably grade the highest. A French original would have a certain sentimental value.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: November 23, 2020 21:35

This album is a rare example where the UK, USA, Germany and possible other countries all used identical stampers for their initial pressings.
They all have the Artisan sound recorders logo in the dead wax area and sound the same, apart from slight variations due to the different vinyl formulations used.
The original "Artisan" cut is considered by many to be the best sounding Exile on vinyl.

A google image search of "Artisan sound recorders logo" will show you what you need to look for in the dead wax / run out groove area.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-23 21:50 by mikehat.

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: November 23, 2020 22:43

If you hold out for one with postcards you'll be waiting a for quite a while if you want an affordable copy. I've only seen one in 12 years that wasn't marked way up for being complete. If you're buying it to listen to, rather than just collect, follow the above advice and find an Artisan copy, with or without postcards.

Posted by: Marthijn ()
Date: November 23, 2020 23:36

I would go for the sticky gatefold, or better the Happy / All Down the Line 7"promo.
All down the line is a very nice alternate take!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 24, 2020 05:07

I have the Exile Blu Ray. It trumps the sound of any vinyl I've ever heard.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: November 24, 2020 06:48

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 24, 2020 10:31

24FPS

I agree, Let it Bleed is excellent too on BluRay

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 24, 2020 22:59

...the 2004 Virgin edition had the 12 little poscards...!...as "Sticky fingers" a real zipper...nice...!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 25, 2020 08:48

midimannz
24FPS

Is it? The 2002 ABKCO SACD/DSD is damn good. Someone commented that Mick's vocals were thin, or something, on the Blu Ray. Of course someone is always complaining about Mick's vocals. And the Blu Ray is ridiculously expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-25 08:48 by 24FPS.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 25, 2020 16:11

24FPS
midimannz
24FPS

Is it? The 2002 ABKCO SACD/DSD is damn good. Someone commented that Mick's vocals were thin, or something, on the Blu Ray. Of course someone is always complaining about Mick's vocals. And the Blu Ray is ridiculously expensive.

I got GRRR on blu ray...the early stuff is unbelievably good. It's All Over Now, wow.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 25, 2020 16:59

I've probably listen to Exile on Main Street more than any other album, by far.

I grew-up on the USA original vinyl. To me, that's the real Exile and that's the way it should sound.

I've heard other versions but, it's the original that works best for me!

ExileStones

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 26, 2020 10:13

I'd agree that that an early original Artisan pressing is probably the mut's proverbials where exile is concerned.

I'm lucky to still have my original day of release copy and It still sounds stunning,
It's somehow more vibrant and alive than other good versions...but with a very natural dynamic range, which gives it far greater impact than all those recent in yer face brick walled remasters.

Another pressing I have and really like is a later 70s German Electrola labelled pressing.
This has a more polite but very clear and sweet sound...more for listening than dancing.

My favourite from the various modern digital remasters is the one from the Miles Showell mastered Abbey Road boxed set. Miles has used skill and taste to give it a more natural dynamic, without that now typical brick walled loudness which afflicts almost all releases today.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: November 26, 2020 14:46

I'm as happy as can be! ...still got my 1972! "artisan cut" German pressing incl. all the twelve postcards and signed by Mick Taylorsmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home