Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My favorite flavour, cherry red
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 22, 2020 02:14

There is something about that line that has always struck a chord with me. It's about a commonality of experience that transcends time and crosses continents. A time when kids roamed throughout the neighbourhood all day and they had their own unique form of street culture.

When I was a kid in the Sixties I can remember picking your flavour of popsicle out of the freezer at the local neighbourhood convenience store. A popsicle was five cents. When we talked about the red popsicle we often said "cherry red." Really good popsicles were porous after the outside layer was gone, and you could suck the delicious sweet juice out of them.

Other things are long gone. We used to play games with baseball and hockey cards by making them fly through the air like mini Frisbees. You played competitively to win the other person's cards. Games like "Toppers," "Furthies," and there was even one called "Making C*cks." I can't remember the name of the game where you tried to knock down cards that were stood up against a wall. Kids walked around with four-inch-thick wads of cards wrapped in an elastic band, flaunting their "wealth."

Re: My favorite flavour, cherry red
Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: November 22, 2020 04:52

MileHigh
There is something about that line that has always struck a chord with me. It's about a commonality of experience that transcends time and crosses continents. A time when kids roamed throughout the neighbourhood all day and they had their own unique form of street culture.

When I was a kid in the Sixties I can remember picking your flavour of popsicle out of the freezer at the local neighbourhood convenience store. A popsicle was five cents. When we talked about the red popsicle we often said "cherry red." Really good popsicles were porous after the outside layer was gone, and you could suck the delicious sweet juice out of them.

Other things are long gone. We used to play games with baseball and hockey cards by making them fly through the air like mini Frisbees. You played competitively to win the other person's cards. Games like "Toppers," "Furthies," and there was even one called "Making C*cks." I can't remember the name of the game where you tried to knock down cards that were stood up against a wall. Kids walked around with four-inch-thick wads of cards wrapped in an elastic band, flaunting their "wealth."

And let's not forget Bolo Bats and Hula Hoops!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 22, 2020 08:05

northof49
MileHigh

Popeye cigarettes (politically incorrect) and cigars made out of wax that contained flavoured water (also politically incorrect!).

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: November 22, 2020 09:11

MileHigh
northof49
MileHigh

Popeye cigarettes (politically incorrect) and cigars made out of wax that contained flavoured water (also politically incorrect!).

Wow, had totally forgotten about the wax cigars with the sweet syrupy innards.
I liked those a lot, probably why i topped out @ 5'7.smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home