Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Should The Stones Tour Down Under?
Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: November 19, 2020 07:02

Stripped right back, reduced (where appropriate crew/entourage - sorry Charlotte!)

We have been extremely successful in dealing with Covid here in Oz & NZ and cases are very low, and our record would have been that much better had there not been a 2nd wave in Victoria due in most part to security guards tasked with looking after people in hotel quarantine, chopping them up instead. Anyway that is all behind us now.

Their safety would be assured and they could escape the Northern Hemisphere winter.

It may sound nuts and probably is, but keen to hear respectful thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 08:20 by Paulhanrahan.

Re: Should The Stones Tour Down Under?
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 19, 2020 07:07

Guns N' Roses just announced an Australia/NZ tour late next year.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2020 07:17

Yes, the Stones should do it! thumbs up

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 19, 2020 07:22

I guess if there's a promotor willing to take on the tour and an insurance company willing to insure the band.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 19, 2020 07:43

Paulhanrahan
Stripped right back, reduced (where appropriate crew/entourage - sorry Charlotte!)

We have been extremely successful in dealing with Covid here in Oz & NZ and cases are very low, and our record would have been that much better had there not been a 2nd wave in Victoria due in most past to security guards tasked with looking after people in hotel quarantine, chopping them up instead. Anyway that is all behind us now.

Their safety would be assured and they could escape the Northern Hemisphere winter.

"chopping them up" - eh? I've heard many strange tales about the origin of Victoria's second wave, but cannibalism wasn't one of them.

True it arose from Security Guards - like it has just done so in South Australia - and that was in turn because they were (in essence) casual, low paid, hardly trained, and working in several places.

As for The Rolling Stones - they definitely owe Hanging Rock a few favours having cancelled there twice in the last few years!

Gudinski lives locally, get on to him to organise it. And if they want to quarantine inbound, I've got a big enough house for several of them and I'm not far from Hanging Rock so they'd not have far to go to do the sound check.

And, quite genuinely, last time we were househunting we looked seriously at a house along Cowell's Road. [goo.gl] :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 19, 2020 08:00

DGA35
I guess if there's a promotor willing to take on the tour and an insurance company willing to insure the band.

There will be. Someone has underwritten Crowded Houses mammoth NZ Tour, they are playing everywhere. And special exemptions can be used if is a major economic benefit, just ask James Cameron and the Avatar people.

When Queen went to OZ and NZ last year they took off again and added a lot more shows, they were in Australia for a month or more. They started in Arenas and ended up in Cricket Stadiums.

So a Licks Style tour with multiple venue types would be amazing.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: November 19, 2020 08:00

"Chopped Up" = Screwing..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2020 08:08

Gudinski is great mates with Lloyd Williams ....
So they could fly 'em out .... stay at Macedon Lodge ....
Williams is loaded with dosh ....

Keef could ride a race horse and Charlie might even buy one ....

Better still they can all stay with me .... I wont charge 'em a cent ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 19, 2020 09:23

what about the travel to and from, aeroports, etc. Yes, they've got their own plane, so maybe not a concern. The whole idea just scares me and would prefer that they wait til COVID is on the downswing worldwide, just to be on the safe side.

plexi

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 19, 2020 10:09

And it's not just the band who has to travel either. Think about how big the road crew is. And those guys fly commercial, not on the private jet.

Date: November 19, 2020 11:11

Paulhanrahan
"Chopped Up" = Screwing..

Which just goes to show that we're never too old to learn something new!

Thanks

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 19, 2020 11:12

Rockman
Gudinski is great mates with Lloyd Williams ....
So they could fly 'em out .... stay at Macedon Lodge ....
Williams is loaded with dosh ....

Keef could ride a race horse and Charlie might even buy one ....

Better still they can all stay with me .... I wont charge 'em a cent ...

True. You can't move in these parts without bumping in to someone who has won The Melbourne Cup several times.

Actually I'd forgotten the Charlie & Shirley/Horses thing....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 19, 2020 15:20

CaptainCorella
Paulhanrahan

We have been extremely successful in dealing with Covid here in Oz & NZ and cases are very low, and our record would have been that much better had there not been a 2nd wave in Victoria due in most past to security guards tasked with looking after people in hotel quarantine, chopping them up instead. Anyway that is all behind us now.

"chopping them up" - eh? I've heard many strange tales about the origin of Victoria's second wave, but cannibalism wasn't one of them.

True it arose from Security Guards - like it has just done so in South Australia - and that was in turn because they were (in essence) casual, low paid, hardly trained, and working in several places.

As for The Rolling Stones - they definitely owe Hanging Rock a few favours having cancelled there twice in the last few years!

Gudinski lives locally, get on to him to organise it. And if they want to quarantine inbound, I've got a big enough house for several of them and I'm not far from Hanging Rock so they'd not have far to go to do the sound check.

And, quite genuinely, last time we were househunting we looked seriously at a house along Cowell's Road. [goo.gl] :-)

Sure they should do Down Under. And hes, Hanging Rock should be at the top of the list. I missed both dates in 2014 while visiting Australia twice that year (Spring and Autumn) because I loved the idea to see the Stones there with my daughter who lived there at the time. Time flies...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2020 16:33

Probably not realistic. They can absorb the costs in the midst of touring Asia etc but doing just Australia - not enough places to make enough money to justify the expense.

Unless they did the simplest of stages with a small crew and anyone knows that ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 19, 2020 16:40

Tour start in Adelaide, South Australia, currently in Lock Down?

Stranded Australians 'beside themselves' after inbound international flights to Adelaide cancelled over COVID-19 cluster

There is no safe place on the planet now, as for the virus.

Bjornulf

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: November 19, 2020 21:31

New Zealand is fine, at the moment we have had one case in the community in the last couple of months . All other cases that are announced daily are from people arriving back here who are in the two week managed isolation program .Meaning when you arrive here you get put up in a specfied quarantine 5 star hotel for a fortnight an tested three times no contact with other guests . We have the Angels Dragon Misex etc comming over from Australia in Jan an doing the two weeks isolation then three large 20,000 type gigs. Crowded house Gunsnroses i can see acdc also prob down under later this year.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 19, 2020 21:32

I would think it could be one of the few places they could tour later in 2021 - if the numbers are low, but nothing this year. Who would insure them ? NO chance .

sc uk

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: November 19, 2020 22:01

Yes they could come to NZ/Oz in 2021. Will they though.... Highly unlikely as its probably cost prohibitive due to insurance and if they can only visit those 2 countries, and potentially only parts of Oz, it wouldn't be worth it on their usual touring scale. Maybe they can add Taiwan, Singapore and a couple of others? Not sure what Japans Covid status is like currently?

And all of these things can still change so quickly. I guess a vaccine would be a natural and insurance prerequisite for the band to consider it too.

2 weeks of quarantine in NZ = 2 weeks of rehearsals. I'm sure our NZ government would be keen for them to come and be an exception like the Sailors and film crew. They could do 2-3 shows here as the public is currently starved of big acts. Yes GnR in a years time...and The Wiggles in March are about it currently.

I understand they have discussed the possibility, but there are probably more factors saying no, than yes. Hope Im wrong and we get to see the boys downunder!

As for international RS tourists to NZ....find a Kiwi to marry or start swimming are your best bets...

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 19, 2020 22:15

rcfoxy

Not sure what Japans Covid status is like currently?

19-Nov-2020: "Tokyo raises coronavirus alert to highest as cases set record" - [www.Reuters.com] , [News.Yahoo.com] .

Date: November 19, 2020 22:44

bv
Tour start in Adelaide, South Australia, currently in Lock Down?

Stranded Australians 'beside themselves' after inbound international flights to Adelaide cancelled over COVID-19 cluster

There is no safe place on the planet now, as for the virus.

True, if you make sure you include NZ with Au.

For context on the Adelaide lockdown.... they had SEVEN months with no local cases whatsoever, and then got about 20 very quickly as a result of a leak from an inbound quarantine (as described by Foxy).

So, they have locked down hard and swiftly to stop further spread.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 20, 2020 04:07

My bet is no vaccine NO tour .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 20, 2020 04:20

The world-renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra performed in Japan in November, with concerts in Kitakyushu, Osaka, Kawasaki, and Tokyo from November 5-14.
Due to the spread of the new coronavirus, the performances by foreign musicians at Suntory Hall have been cancelled since late February.
The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra flied in from Fukuoka Airport on November 4 by a chartered plane with about 120 orchestra members and conductor Walery Gergiev and others from Austria.
After being inspected for a new type of corona upon arrival, they were transported in chartered buses and chartered bullet trains.
They took measures to prevent infection, such as not going outside except for accommodation and performance venues.

I doubt that members of the Stones, as well as the entire touring staff, will be able to take such kinds of measures when they'll have the Australasia tour.

Date: November 20, 2020 05:01

Toru A

I doubt that members of the Stones, as well as the entire touring staff, will be able to take such kinds of measures when they'll have the Australasia tour.

Don't see why not? Arguably The Stones Touring Party are better funded/resourced than even the Vienna Philarmonic!

Besides... we're all forgetting that there's an Olympics going to happen in 2021, so that means a lot more travel anyway.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 20, 2020 06:23

CaptainCorella
Toru A

Don't see why not? Arguably The Stones Touring Party are better funded/resourced than even the Vienna Philarmonic!

Besides... we're all forgetting that there's an Olympics going to happen in 2021, so that means a lot more travel anyway.

The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra tour was strongly requested by Austrian Chancellor Kurtz in a letter of intent, and the Japanese government gave its approval after a comprehensive review.

I think the same is true for the IOC.smiling smiley

Posted by: winos ()
Date: November 20, 2020 09:59

Meanwhile here in Melbourne zero cases for over 3 weeks. I'd already posted elsewhere that it would be a good idea for the Stones to come to Aust/NZ and broadcast the show to the world to cheer everyone up such as Europe who are in lockdown again.
But the economics of such an undertaking wouldn't stack up for a shrewd business man like Jagger......

Rockman and I were volunteering to help build the stage and help with the tea and scones!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: November 20, 2020 10:05

Got a cross-cut saw ....
and a cream whippin' machine .....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2020 11:17

Albert King, Eric Clapton & SRV had cross-cut saws....

Date: November 20, 2020 11:19

So did Tommy McClennan ..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2020 11:24

.... Oh yeah from memory
Tony Hollins might (cut)recorded
Crosscut Saw first ..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2020 12:33

ah you've got me there Rockman I don't know of Tommy McClennan

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home