Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What’s your LP collection worth?
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 20, 2020 02:47

Sorry for your loss. May your Father RIP

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 20, 2020 02:53

Vinyl prices vary wildly depending not just on rarity but on condition. The more times it's been played, the less it sells for, and most people have very sensibly played their records a lot. Buyers also care a lot about sleeves, including inner sleeves--it's worth less if the seams are split, etc. The only real money to be made is from mint copies of hard-to-find records (obviously I'm excluding the real rarities like the Beatles' butcher cover, etc.).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2020 04:06

What are hot these days are delta blues 78s.

When with some of them there's only 3-4 copies in the
entire world they'll always hold their value ......

Ive read of collectors who can tell
who's copy has been used on a comp by the pattern of crackles

ROCKMAN

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 20, 2020 23:07

KevinM
Factoring in Time Value of Money & then working your way to a fair & reasonable seems to be the way to go.

For example, lets say you invested $2,000 USD b/w 1964-1974 & another $3,000 1974-1984 on RS LP's, 45's etc. How much would that same $ be equivalent to today? (that's the real value of $ invested).

Also your buyer(s) would have to spend a lot of time & $ chasing down the rare/semi-rare stuff, so factor that in (& use it as a selling point, i.e. convenience to them, saving time & $). Also they get to see the merchandise & possibly sample it etc (known quality & quantity/value/safe investment)...another selling point. Also, they save on shipping, which adds up quickly per LP. Also your collection is damage free vs. something they ordered online, which may not be (hassle, refund status questionable)...Peace of Mind.

Even a collection of "basic" mainstream LP's, the examples above apply, just on a slightly smaller scale of varying monetary degrees.

I'd prepare a nice spreadsheet/word doc w/descriptions & pics (the sizzle) to entice the buyer(s), let them scroll/flip through it, now it's tangible, if they're not physically holding the records. This imprints on their mind & adds to their desire for your collection.

Don't accept the 1st offer (if possible), unless it's way, way over what you were hoping to get initially. Just don't sell yourself short.

Lastly, put your best LP's at the front & back of the stack, with a few scattered throughout the middle. Humans tend to remember the 1st & last thing they saw.

I hope this helps you get what your collection is truly worth & wish you the best of luck!

Good points, I placed the items into Discogs and will see if I can print from there, they have pictures of the covers too

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home