Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The 3 most special NON-Theatre/Club setlists?
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 17, 2020 19:17

Fellow IORRians! Of all the gigs they played in stadiums and arenas, what are your three most special setlists straight outta your heads?

3. Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne 2006:

This is like B2B all over again, only with so much more interesting first section with Sway, ONNYA and Worried About You giving it a new sexy flavour. In my book only Start Me Up (and UMT if one can dream) can beat Satisfacion as an opening tune, the 1965 hit is so much better when used as the opener as it then get's played in a more king crawling snake-manner, more like the record than the Otis-ian version when at the end. Brown Sugar is also for me the ultimate finish-off song, where only Sympathy or SFM come close.

It's also a show where they do Ain't To Proud To Beg leading into Dice, which is such a beautiful combo together. Last show ever (?) where they opened with Satisfaction.

2. Philadelphia 1981.

For obvious reasons, they tried out so much fun stuff, Tops, Down The Road Apiece and other assorted gems + Under My Thumb is a great opener!

1. 6th of june 1976, Paris. No All Down The Line unfortunately as in the earlier part of the tour but the new fresh Black And Blue tracks keep up the swing from the start of Honky Tonk Women, a refined 75/76 setlist through and through. Let's hope for an official release!!!

Re: The 3 most special NON-Theatre/Club setlists?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 17, 2020 19:32

Vancouver'72. "Ventilator Blues"!!!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 17, 2020 19:43

The 2003 arena setlists were great (Bercy, Olympiahalle München, Ahoy).
And Stuttgart 99 was great, too (No Security setlist) and unexpected:
No Satisfaction but Sympathy as encore.

Date: November 17, 2020 20:18

Chicago 2006:

You Got Me Rocking
Live With Me
Monkey Man
Sway
She Was Hot
Streets Of Love
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Little T&A (Keith)
Under My Thumb (to B-stage)
Rough Justice
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction
Brown Sugar (encore)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 17, 2020 20:31

Of the shows I've attended:

Staples Center #2 May, 20, 2013 w/Mick Taylor playing on four tunes: Sway, CYHMK, MR, and Satisfaction.
Opening with a great Get Off My Cloud, the setlist also included a crazy fun Faraway Eyes, as well as scorching versions of Paint it Black, Gimme Shelter, and All Down the Line.
There were also two new tunes w/One More Shot and Doom and Gloom, and while not very good tunes (imo), they were new!

After that, I'd list either L.A. Coliseum show from 1981 as they were my first:
October 9 - 26 songs
October 11-26 songs again

Finally, as mentioned above, all arena shows during Licks had great setlists - I saw quite a few that tour both in the US and Europe, so it's hard to pin down just one. The US shows had longer setlists averaging 21, while the Euro setlists were whittled down to around 19, but the thrill of seeing them abroad made up for the shorter sets. That said, the 2002 MGM Vegas show comes to mind for great arena shows in the US (w/Mannish Boy out on the B-stage) as does the Halloween show at Staples Center (again Mannish Boy B-stage). In Europe 2003; Stockholm Globen, Rotterdam Ahoy, and Wembley Arena in London come to mind amongst the greats, but ultimately I'd go with the final two shows I saw that tour at the SECC Arena in Glasgow. An amazing small venue by arena standards (capacity only 8200), the energy never let up, and again they played Mannish Boy on the B-stage during the September 1st show. Those versions of Mannish Boy must have left an impression as seeing them perform it live on a small stage surrounded by thousands of people was always a thrill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-17 20:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 17, 2020 20:43

MadMax
Fellow IORRians! Of all the gigs they played in stadiums and arenas, what are your three most special setlists straight outta your heads?

This is like B2B all over again, only with so much more interesting first section with Sway, ONNYA and Worried About You giving it a new sexy flavour. In my book only Start Me Up (and UMT if one can dream) can beat Satisfacion as an opening tune, the 1965 hit is so much better when used as the opener as it then get's played in a more king crawling snake-manner, more like the record than the Otis-ian version when at the end. Brown Sugar is also for me the ultimate finish-off song, where only Sympathy or SFM come close.

It's also a show where they do Ain't To Proud To Beg leading into Dice, which is such a beautiful combo together. Last show ever (?) where they opened with Satisfaction.

2. Philadelphia 1981.

For obvious reasons, they tried out so much fun stuff, Tops, Down The Road Apiece and other assorted gems + Under My Thumb is a great opener!

1. 6th of june 1976, Paris. No All Down The Line unfortunately as in the earlier part of the tour but the new fresh Black And Blue tracks keep up the swing from the start of Honky Tonk Women, a refined 75/76 setlist through and through. Let's hope for an official release!!!

Damn is there no recording of that 2006 show? Can't find it in the vault.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 18, 2020 05:30

Justin
MadMax

2. Philadelphia 1981.

that was perhaps one of the most brutal weather conditions of any Stones show. What a cold and miserable night it was !!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 18, 2020 06:08

Knebworth '76

Satisfaction
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud
Hand of Fate
Around and Around
Little Red Rooster
Stray Cat Blues
Hey Negrita
Hot Stuff
Fool to Cry
Star Star
Let's Spend the Night Together
You Gotta Move
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Dead Flowers
Route 66
Wild Horses
Honky Tonk Women - (followed by a snippet of "Country Honk")
Tumbling Dice
Happy
Nothing From Nothing - by Billy Preston)
Outa-Space - by Billy Preston)
Midnight Rambler
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (but I Like It)
Brown Sugar
Rip This Joint
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

New Orleans 10.10.1994

Not fade away
Tumbling Dice
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Beast of Burden
Out of Tears
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
I Go Wild
It's All Over Now
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Love Is Strong
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Chicago 31.5.2013

Get Off Of My Cloud
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Shine A Light
Emotional Rescue
All Down The Line (with Sheryl Crow)
Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Can't You Hear Me Knocking (with Mick Taylor)
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band presentation
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil
--- Band off stage
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 17:43 by EddieByword.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 18, 2020 06:11

How about Altamont for premier of Brown Sugar, and only time performance of Sun Is Shining.

jb

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2020 08:26

donvis
Justin
MadMax

2. Philadelphia 1981.

that was perhaps one of the most brutal weather conditions of any Stones show. What a cold and miserable night it was !!!

Sorry I meant of the Melbourne 2006 show. But yes, I was also present at the Chicago 2006 show. Truly abysmal, miserable weather!

Date: November 18, 2020 10:22

donvis
Justin
MadMax

2. Philadelphia 1981.

You mean Chicago, not Melbourne, surely? smiling smiley

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 18, 2020 13:59

My top 3 were Werchter 07, London I 2012 and Hamburg 2017 all packed with very special songs and unexpected setlists. all three were tour or leg openers.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 18, 2020 15:31

Of the shows attended, Knebworth is a no brainer. Agree with Too Tough about the 2003 arena shows - loved them. Bercy, Ahoy and Glasgow were fantastic.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 19, 2020 02:21

Budokan 2003 was pretty good. Prior to the show, there was an insider information around that it would be something in the middle of arena and theatre shows, a new category as it were. It did turn out that way, quite a unique setlist for a LICKS arena show indeed.

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Live With Me
4. Let It Bleed
5. No Expectations
6. Rocks Off
7. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
8. Worried About You
9. Midnight Rambler
10. Slipping Away
11. Before They Make Me Run
12. Start Me Up
13. It's Only Rock'n Roll
14. Rock Me Baby
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
16. Honky Tonk Women
17. Tumbling Dice
18. Brown Sugar
19. Satisfaction (encore)

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 19, 2020 05:29

DandelionPowderman
donvis
Justin
MadMax

2. Philadelphia 1981.

You mean Chicago, not Melbourne, surely? smiling smiley
Yes! Chicago October 2006

Date: November 19, 2020 10:19

Loved Hamburg 2007 setlist. Tour openers are special because of the suprise.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: November 19, 2020 10:25

Washington DC, Aug 1st 1994 - Voodoo Lounge Tour Opening!

setlist.fm

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 19, 2020 14:58

TIRED
Washington DC, Aug 1st 1994 - Voodoo Lounge Tour Opening!

setlist.fm

Yes, I was there, 27 songs...what a buzz!

Mick: "Not bad for a bunch of old farts!"

Btw, that´s me below getting licked in DC :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 14:59 by TooTough.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2020 16:38

EddieByword

New Orleans 10.10.1994

Not fade away
Tumbling Dice
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
Beast of Burden
Out of Tears
I Go Wild
It's All Over Now
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Love Is Strong
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar

I was at that show. Nothing special about that set list compared to the tour but it was entertaining, especially when Mick said Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo was on BLACK AND BLUE. Possibly the smallest crowd to see a Stones show in the US since 1965.

You left a song out, too.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 19, 2020 17:57

GasLightStreet
EddieByword

New Orleans 10.10.1994

Not fade away
Tumbling Dice
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
Beast of Burden
Out of Tears
I Go Wild
It's All Over Now
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Love Is Strong
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar

I was at that show. Nothing special about that set list compared to the tour but it was entertaining, especially when Mick said Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo was on BLACK AND BLUE. Possibly the smallest crowd to see a Stones show in the US since 1965.

You left a song out, too.

Except they didn't play Sympathy which I really liked - they only didn't play Sympathy in 31 (the first 31) shows out of 144 shows - starting the finale with Love is strong was brilliant - after the second Vegas show on 15th Oct it was the Stones painting by numbers again - for me anyway.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), I Go Wild, It's All Over Now was a great little triptych as was Love Is Strong, Monkey Man & Street Fighting Man ....which I played today and loved it like when I first heard it.......

I was surprised to hear (from you) before that it was a small crowd because the sound on Voodoo Kiss makes it sound like there was a great atmosphere (and big crowd?) - perhaps there was a good atmosphere despite a small crowd - you would know for sure........

Oh yeah................no gold star today then..............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 18:21 by EddieByword.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: November 19, 2020 20:09

I was this show. I thought the setlist was great.

Saturday, October 5, 2002
Hartford CIVIC CENTER

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Rocks Off
Love In Vain
Let It Bleed
Monkey Man
Gimme Shelter
Tumbling Dice
Slipping Away
Before They Make Me Run
Start Me Up
Love Train
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction

B Stage
Manish Boy
You Got Me Rocking
Brown Sugar

Midnight Rambler
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Posted by: shakedown ()
Date: November 19, 2020 21:11

This one stands out the most in terms of standard tour shows I have attended -

5 Exile Songs in a row plus CYHMK & Stray Cat Blues!

Gund Arena
Cleveland, OH, USA
Monday Oct. 14, 2002

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Live With Me
Sweet Virginia
Loving Cup
All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Tumblin' Dice
--- Introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Start Me Up
I Can't Turn You Loose
Honky Tonk Woman
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Satisfaction
Stray Cat Blues (B-stage)
Like A Rolling Stone (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler
Jumping Jack Flash

Start time : 8:55 p.m.
End time : 11:05 p.m.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home