Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If you were sentenced for life, which Stones Vinyl would you take with you ?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 17, 2020 13:26

Doxa
Hmm... the record will be played to death, so I most likely end up hating it...

So I pick up VOODOO LOUNGE or A BIGGER BANG... Those are probably the albums I have least listened, so before getting tired, I will have time to pay some serious attention to them first. Probably they are better albums that I think at the moment. Put one really needs to put me on jail to have second thoughts...grinning smiley

- Doxa
Outstanding insights . I always enjoy and look forward to your most thoughtful and thought provoking responses , for which i say thank you winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-17 13:32 by TheGreek.

Re: If you were sentenced for life, which Stones Vinyl would you take with you ?
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: November 17, 2020 13:33

Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

That was the fisrt LP I got.
It was a Christmas Present from my parents.
The one with the folder, you know.
Still have the original folder. When the record was worn out I bought it
again several times but with a "normal" sleeve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-17 15:40 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 17, 2020 14:20

sentenced for life?....come on....of course its Some Girls.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 17, 2020 14:48

TheGreek
Doxa

So I pick up VOODOO LOUNGE or A BIGGER BANG... Those are probably the albums I have least listened, so before getting tired, I will have time to pay some serious attention to them first. Probably they are better albums that I think at the moment. Put one really needs to put me on jail to have second thoughts...grinning smiley

- Doxa
Outstanding insights . I always enjoy and look forward to your most thoughtful and thought provoking responses , for which i say thank you winking smiley

Oh thank you, you are way too kind. This is all fun, but great to hear if my endless ramblings bring some joy. Truely, my pleasure.

But that idea occurred to me when I was reading the thread about songs people don't like anymore. Someone was saying that it is the 'war horses' status that turns them off... So if The Stones are playing live, say, "Gimme Shelter" 14 times a year (before corona, that is) makes one to dislike the song, what it would be if one is forced to listen the same album over and over again, no matter what EXILE it is...grinning smiley

Besides, as a crazy Stones fan, I prefer to die hating - as is necessarily fated to be - more, say, VOODOO LOUNGE than EXILE ON MAIN STREET... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 17, 2020 14:54

dcba
jbwelda
CS Blues

The lyrics would give nasty ideas to your inmates so if I were you I'd skip that one! smoking smiley

True is that this thought experiment has significiant differences to the desert island one that needs to be considered....

So, taking the circumstances, the safest choice - not to annoy too much inmates - would be HOT ROCKS...

- Doxa

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 17, 2020 17:08

Sticky Fingers. It has been my favorite since 1976.I have listened to it a lot since 76 so, in jail,it would help me feel free by experiencing what Proust originally called " la mémoire involontaire".The power of music would mentally and sensorially makes me evade the room for a little while. Rock and roll music is freedom's vehicle.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: November 17, 2020 17:15

Doxa
TheGreek
Doxa

- Doxa

Oh thank you, you are way too kind. This is all fun, but great to hear if my endless ramblings bring some joy. Truely, my pleasure.

But that idea occurred to me when I was reading the thread about songs people don't like anymore. Someone was saying that it is the 'war horses' status that turns them off... So if The Stones are playing live, say, "Gimme Shelter" 14 times a year (before corona, that is) makes one to dislike the song, what it would be if one is forced to listen the same album over and over again, no matter what EXILE it is...grinning smiley

Besides, as a crazy Stones fan, I prefer to die hating - as is necessarily fated to be - more, say, VOODOO LOUNGE than EXILE ON MAIN STREET... grinning smiley

- Doxa
As i was reading your post the word that came to mind was precious . Now let me ask you when Voodoo Lounge first came out in 1994 did you like it/love it ? I did , funny thing is i can't recall the last time i gave it a listen , save for the Keith songs . Not so much the Worst , but Thru and Thru , i never tire of . I did like the opening triple shot of Love is Strong, You Got Me Rocking, and Sparks Will Fry ( sharks will cry ). There was a lot of excitment and buzz when Voodoo Lounge first came out and it was so different for me from Steel Wheels ( which i loved and adored that as well ) Different in a throwback kind of way sort of like Exile ( I know Hearsay , and i should probably be stoned -figureativly smoking smiley ) Do you remember some reviews mentioned it in the same breath as Exile ? For the songwriting from the Twins ? The other thing worth mentioning about Voodoo Lounge is that it was 5 years later from Steel Wheels . I also love Bridges to Babylon except for the one track , which was a massive trainwreck live ( Anybody Seen My Baby ) This thread is so funny to me in the way of how thought provoking it is for me and also probably of remembering all of the good times from the tours back in the 90's ,of which i miss greatly !

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 17, 2020 19:45

Exile of course.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 17, 2020 20:23

Bridges to Babylon and I don't care what anyone says...even the warden.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: November 17, 2020 20:43

Sticky Fingers. I'll use the zipper as a tool to escape. Slowly but surely.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 17, 2020 20:56

Then you need an Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 17, 2020 22:14

Gotta be Exile for me. Best range of material, band at their peak, Jaggers vocal on let it loose is the best he’s done in my opinion. The energy the mood the flow of this record is brilliant. Because it’s a double album and the amount of material on it, it’s still fresher to me than some albums ive listened to for as long.. 25+ years later it’s still exciting to listen to.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 17, 2020 22:44

"Let's rock everybody, let's rock
Everybody in the whole cell block
Was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock"

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: November 17, 2020 23:57

Their Satanic Majesties Request, because then I would have time enough to try and understand the album and all the sounds.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2020 19:56

I would choose Exile.
But I swear: I didn't do it!

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 18, 2020 23:12

Assuming they allow record players and speakers in the cells?

Exile on Main Street. An endlessly fascinating record. I hear something new every time I listen to it.

Date: November 19, 2020 00:31

TheGreek

As i was reading your post the word that came to mind was precious . Now let me ask you when Voodoo Lounge first came out in 1994 did you like it/love it ? I did , funny thing is i can't recall the last time i gave it a listen , save for the Keith songs . Not so much the Worst , but Thru and Thru , i never tire of . I did like the opening triple shot of Love is Strong, You Got Me Rocking, and Sparks Will Fry ( sharks will cry ). There was a lot of excitment and buzz when Voodoo Lounge first came out and it was so different for me from Steel Wheels ( which i loved and adored that as well ) Different in a throwback kind of way sort of like Exile ( I know Hearsay , and i should probably be stoned -figureativly smoking smiley ) Do you remember some reviews mentioned it in the same breath as Exile ? For the songwriting from the Twins ? The other thing worth mentioning about Voodoo Lounge is that it was 5 years later from Steel Wheels . I also love Bridges to Babylon except for the one track , which was a massive trainwreck live ( Anybody Seen My Baby ) This thread is so funny to me in the way of how thought provoking it is for me and also probably of remembering all of the good times from the tours back in the 90's ,of which i miss greatly !

I recall the first impressions of VOODOO LOUNGE being great ones - it sounded fresh but familiar, like finally the Stones sounding exactly the way they supposed to sound. But the charm disappeared rather quickly, and I felt like The Stones weren't serious any longer - and that was the first time I felt like that with the Stones. Some 'magic' was missing. Like it was all surface, no substance or real inspiration. Like they were artistically given up and just going through the motions, taking the easy routes. I think "Love is Strong" - the best track on it - is a typical case: lots of traditional, ear-pleasing elements there for a Stones fan, but after a while those starts to sound too obvious that it is almost annoying...

I recall also end up feeling like - or explaining to myself - it was not an album made an old fan base in mind (because it didn't add anything to what they've already done), but like introducing them and their traditional sound to contemporary scene at the time - and if those new ears would like them, they could then go to check the 'real thing', their old albums... The trick they did with "Start Me Up" to me 13 years earlier... so I felt like it was not really made for me... (It was before I really understood how conservative hardcore Stones fanbase really is).

It is not a bad album by any means, but just, I don't know how to say it, too 'thin', lacking depth or point... The quantity over quality or something.

I need to admit that since its heyday in 1994 I have never really paid much attention to it. That said, any time I happen to hear any of its cuts, they sound good to me. But I leave it to that... I don't know, perhaps I should give it a second chance... even without jail...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 00:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: November 19, 2020 13:24

GRRR Limited Edition.

@ More hot rocks
Did you receive my mail?
Mine is open.

Date: November 19, 2020 14:26

Doxa
TheGreek

I recall the first impressions of VOODOO LOUNGE being great ones - it sounded fresh but familiar, like finally the Stones sounding exactly the way they supposed to sound. But the charm disappeared rather quickly, and I felt like The Stones weren't serious any longer - and that was the first time I felt like that with the Stones. Some 'magic' was missing. Like it was all surface, no substance or real inspiration. Like they were artistically given up and just going through the motions, taking the easy routes. I think "Love is Strong" - the best track on it - is a typical case: lots of traditional, ear-pleasing elements there for a Stones fan, but after a while those starts to sound too obvious that it is almost annoying...

I recall also end up feeling like - or explaining to myself - it was not an album made an old fan base in mind (because it didn't add anything to what they've already done), but like introducing them and their traditional sound to contemporary scene at the time - and if those new ears would like them, they could then go to check the 'real thing', their old albums... The trick they did with "Start Me Up" to me 13 years earlier... so I felt like it was not really made for me... (It was before I really understood how conservative hardcore Stones fanbase really is).

It is not a bad album by any means, but just, I don't know how to say it, too 'thin', lacking depth or point... The quantity over quality or something.

I need to admit that since its heyday in 1994 I have never really paid much attention to it. That said, any time I happen to hear any of its cuts, they sound good to me. But I leave it to that... I don't know, perhaps I should give it a second chance... even without jail...grinning smiley

- Doxa
I do agree with you . What I most enjoy about your posts is that you make me think , and I have to agree that you said it was an album for new fans as it featured the up tempo rockers, the ballads , the tune in the vein of Ruby Tuesday - New Faces , which checked the box for the mid 60's slower type sound . Which Voodoo Lounge has all of the classic features of the Twins songwriting . Then factor in the 2 Keith tunes of which The Worst is middle of the road , whereas Thru and Thru is one of Keith's finest and maybe is the strongest or best track on the album ( never thought i would ever say that , it stands the test of time for me ) I reached a similiar point with A Bigger Bang , where that did not feel fresh to me and it was re mining the mine to come up with similiar hooks and phrasing with catchy lyrics such as Rough Justice which has a super distorted guitar sound to my ears . I heard the track first in June of 2005 3 months before the album came out and I remember thinking to myself that it sounded dirty in a bad kind of way like with recording equipment not working correctly or malfunctioning amps or something to that effect and there was a part of my head that said no as it was intentional in trying to throw some grunge type sound in there and as you made the reference of " contemporary " and it was at that moment that i knew the Twins plowing an already plowed field that had already been harvested long ago . These are probably some of the most critical comments/words i have ever mentioned about my favorite band as i am and was and will always be the naive fan boy that blindly loves them without any preconditions what so ever and they could never do any wrong in my book and i will always love and adore them no matter . Doxa , thank You Kindly for thoughts and insights which I can never have enough smiling smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 19, 2020 14:33

GHS

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 19, 2020 16:58

The question was: "If you were sentenced for life, which Stones Vinyl would you take with you ?"
There's no mention any limit on the quantity of Stones vinyl that can be taken...

So I could take all of my Stones vinyl.
I hope they let me have a turntable though.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 19, 2020 17:24

Phil Good
Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

That was the fisrt LP I got.
It was a Christmas Present from my parents.
The one with the folder, you know.
Still have the original folder. When the record was worn out I bought it
again several times but with a "normal" sleeve.

Great choice

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: November 19, 2020 17:27

schillid
The question was: "If you were sentenced for life, which Stones Vinyl would you take with you ?"
There's no mention any limit on the quantity of Stones vinyl that can be taken...

So I could take all of my Stones vinyl.
I hope they let me have a turntable though.

The word which might indicate that you'll have to choose, though. But if you take all the albums but one you're good to go smiling smiley

Date: November 20, 2020 08:38

Rip This
sentenced for life?....come on....of course its Some Girls.

Sounds very logical.thumbs up

Posted by: novica ()
Date: November 20, 2020 08:52

Sticky Fingers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-20 08:52 by novica.

Date: November 20, 2020 11:43

Sentenced to life.......then refused bail.....so it has to be.....

STILL LIFE

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 12:59

Exile

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 16:17

the one my new roommate likes best....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 20, 2020 20:26

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-20 20:26 by ryanpow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 21, 2020 16:45

bobo
Their Satanic Majesties Request, because then I would have time enough to try and understand the album and all the sounds.

You could get all your new inmate friends to sing this song altogether (see what happens).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home