Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Long Train Running
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 13, 2020 15:53

For years I`ve heard this song without bothering to know what it was. What a bland song. A favourite of many a likely lad whith a beer in his hand. For me a soundtrack to many a night out on town that led to nothing:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Long Train Running
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 13, 2020 16:44

"A favourite of many a likely lad whith a beer in his hand. For me a soundtrack to many a night out on town that led to nothing".

Oh, yeah, how many songs have we all heard that blew past our ears and still do as we whiled the night away?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 13, 2020 18:31

This is a remix.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: November 13, 2020 18:45

From the album The captain and Me.
Brought the vinyl album after I saw the doobie brothers on the old grey whistle test.
And still play it today, one of my favourite albums.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 13, 2020 19:18

That's trash I am afraid.

Try this one:

Now you're talking pulling a train.

jb

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 14, 2020 03:57

A perfectly good song, its just been played to death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-14 05:09 by ryanpow.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 14, 2020 03:59

Perhaps I was a little harsh.

jb

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 14, 2020 04:02

It says official video and it sounded like I remember it. It was a dancefloor staple in the 70s and 80s that got everybody on their feet.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2020 04:39

The original version from '73 - loved it back then, and still like it now:

Sort of epitomizes "classic rock", and can still be heard on just about any classic radio station in the US on a daily basis .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-14 05:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 14, 2020 05:18

noughties
It says official video and it sounded like I remember it. .

That video begins with some footage shot during the photo session of the 1975 Stampede album, so that right there tells you it wasn't a vintage promo film from a song released in '73. Seems like it was put together later by either them or a fan and branded "official" but if you compare the music to the other one posted, it's a remix.

I've never owned a Doobie Brothers record, but I remember when those first ones came out on the radio. They sounded good, and like the man said, they got played to death.

But I thought I was too cool to be into them. They were like the MoR version of AOR.

One starting WTF moment for me came when reading a Trouser Press interview where John Cale expressed admiration for "What A Fool Believes." That just didn't compute at all...

A few months ago I saw a doc that covered their entire history, and what made an impression is that they all seemed like really nice guys. Just good people.

The older I get, the more important that is to me.

Their induction on the RnR HoF show last week was the highlight. And yeah, long overdue.

Whatever stance or attitude that I had that wouldn't allow myself to like them is gone. Rock on, Doobies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home