Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rolling Stones Autographs - In Person Collecting - Post your examples
Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 13, 2020 12:04

Autograph collecting can be controversial but many get great enjoyment from the hobby. It's not for everyone but I enjoy the hunt, the moment of interaction and the collectible piece. It goes without saying that an autograph gained in person is the best. Many don't have the chance collect autographs in person or indeed they may want the autograph of someone who has passed. Unfortunately the market is flooded with forgeries.

From when I first met Ronnie in February 2000 he was very excited to see the "I can feel the fire" sheet music I had and I caught the bug. Over the following two years I added around a couple of hundred Stones autographs to my collection all obtained in front of me. I mainly carried solo items as I liked the completeness of when the band member had signed it and I often found they would pick me over the pack of professional autograph hunters in London who favoured cheap second hand Stones albums or worse still, index cards.

The amount of fakes on the market is ridiculous and the forgers use so many different tactics to convince people, certificates of authenticity, lifetime guarantees, auction houses or charity auctions etc... I am absolutely not saying every autograph with a certificate is fake but in my experience certificates are often used to give the buyer confidence. Most charity auction items are provided by memorabilia companies for a split of the revenue. Only on very rare occasions are the items actually donated by the band and when they are there will be some evidence of this. Very often I find buyers assume a Rolling Stones signed guitar in a charity auction is donated by them, in reality maybe that is true in 1% of cases.

To cut a long story short I would love to collect examples of in person autographs here to aid with the study of the characteristics of real ones. Please only post ones that you got yourself and tell us a little bit about the circumstance.

I'll kick off with a few:

Charlie at Ronnie Scott's after a Tentet show in 2001 and Ronnie at the Television studio after recording a TV show with Lilly Savage.

Ronnie at the Cabbage Patch pub in Twickenham (home of the modern Eel Pie Club) and Keith a few weeks later on the 19th December 2000 outside the Harrington Club in South Kensington. My first Keith.

Charlie at Ronnie Scott's in 2001, I got many here as I went to every single show over the two week residency.

Ronnie at the Harrington Club in 2000.

Ronnie outside Aura, the afterparty venue for his 2005 Drury Lane gig, by this time he often dropped the Wood when signing for me and after disappearing inside the club he sent his security back out to invite me in.

My first Mick from the opening night of the graduate in 2000, right at the top of the theatre outside the lighting box where Mick watched the show from.

Now for two pretty sloppy Mick's obtained outside the Harrington Club when I wasn't really expecting him and I didn't have anything better, both 2000!

Re: Rolling Stones Autographs - In Person Collecting - Post your examples
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 13, 2020 12:35

Autographs - In Person Collecting - 'The Rolling Stones: Exhibitionism' at Saatchi Gallery on April 4, 2016 in London:

[www.GettyImages.com] · Large picture

[www.GettyImages.com] · Large picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-13 12:40 by Irix.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 13, 2020 14:03

Great start to the thread, Matt!

Here are my Stones autographs obtained in-person:

The Ya-Ya's box on the left was signed by Charlie before his show with the ABC & D of Boogie Woogie in Helsinki on April 11, 2011. I waited outside the small Helsinki club for hours in the chilly April weather. Standing right by the door, I was the last person Charlie signed for before he entered. After the show, he signed tons more, but I didn't have any more items on me for him to sign.

The Licks CD cover on the right was signed by both Charlie and Ronnie as they left their hotel the day after the 2014 show in Vienna.

My most prized possession is, of course, the Still Life cover Mick signed for me in Stockholm that same year, again the day after the show as they were heading for the airport.

I knew which car Mick would ride so let's say I positioned myself accordingly =) (Thanks to Tim Ries for making room, actually!)

There happens to be a YouTube video of the incident. Shot by someone across the street.

As you watch from about 1:33 onwards you can see Mick came straight towards me, took my marker, signed for me and maybe 2-3 others, then gave me the marker back and stepped into the car. I'm the guy with the blue T-shirt and the dark blue cap.

A press photographer also caught the moment Mick takes my marker. =)

After they had left, a POURING rain started so the timing was just perfect. Had they stayed just a couple minutes longer, he wouldn't have signed anything. It was already drizzling down as he got out.

I waited for Mick so long that day that I almost ended up missing my flight back home, but if I had missed it, it would totally have been worth it. The autograph itself is pretty sloppy, but all that matters is it was Mick. =) (And hey, thanks to latvianinexile for sharing the airport cab!)

Now, Keith, the "Holy Grail" as I put it, I have been chasing for quite some time now, again at the band's hotels in 2007, 2014, 2017 and 2019, but the closest I ever got to him was Paris 2017. Saw him and Patti leave for dinner and come back. There were just too many fans there, I guess, if only about a dozen. The fact that the French paparazzi decided to follow Keith's car to the restaurant and back didn't help things.

Well, all I got from Keith was a "Love you too!" as he entered the hotel's kitchen door. That felt pretty good too, on that dark night in Paris.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-13 14:34 by Topi.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 13, 2020 20:04

The only one I bought was BJ´s autograph on a lobby card/Göteborg March 31st, 1965.

The rest:

The stories to the picture:

MT (2x) after a clubshow in 1996

RW after the press conference for Slide On Live in Hamburg //
I went to the press entrance asking why we got no invitation
as Germany´s most famous fanzine: Basement News // he went
through his list, made an excuse and gave me a press pass ;-)
The next day I called Dieter Hoffmann and reported what
I did, ready for an earthquake, but he was cool saying: Well done,
now write an article! I did, it´s in BN #19, p. 24/25

KR Amsterdam July 5th, 1998, Keith wrote KR on my cardboard
on his way back to the main stage

RW München, July 12th, 1998, Ronnie signed the promo picture with dedication
in the hotel lobby, me and my friend Harald even got a photo

CW Praha, Aug. 22nd, 1998: Charlie signed my cardboard
on his way back to the main stage

BW Hamburg, May 14th, 2001: Bill signed 2, I don´t want his Rhythm
Kings´stuff on my wall, so I chose 2 pictures when he was THE bass player
in THE band / the blue one has two autographs: a white one he signed
while still onstage, outside he wrote it again...in black...2 autographs on one picture - crazy

MJ Hamburg, July, 24th, 2003: Mick signed my cardboard
on his way back to the main stage; I have never seen him doing that before or after, lucky me /
a couple next to me even made a photo

CW 2009 after theABCD of Boogie Woogie in Hamburg, I was already outside in the
cold with dozen others but Charlie didn´t turn up, so I went back
in, “Sorry you can´t enter…” / “I´ve lost my [mumble]” and rushed
in..there was Charlie kneeling in front of the Slingerland drums ;
we had a short chat and he wrote “Tomas – Danke!” on my YaYa-sleeve.
I´m still looking for the “h”.

RW Ronnie in Randers, DK; Aug. 20, 2010; on his „Faces“-tour;
2 autographs, one on First Step and one on „Going To A GoGo“, the
song that turned me to me Stones; photo again with my other friend Thomas

2x BW after RK shows in Hamburg (2012 and 2014): one on the ticket and one on a
81-shot incl. dedication

And finally, all 4 on Still Life, red carpet Exhibitionism, April
2016…in heaven!

It´s bloody hard work...

Enough showing off now smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-26 18:18 by TooTough.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 13, 2020 20:09

Gonna post a photo of my refrigerator magnet with the band members' signatures

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 13, 2020 21:27

Love this thread. Autograph nerd here too. Tried to get them in person but have not succeeded but do have Charlie's. Not even sure what I'd have them sign at this point. I think a handshake would suffice (or elbow bump thanks to covid now?) Anyway, hope people will continue to post pictures and stories. Great reading even tho I am green with envy. And if anyone could put me on their list of inheriting any one of these beauties---let me know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-13 21:27 by Justin.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 13, 2020 21:38

Topi that Ya-Ya's box set signed by Charlie is great. Very nice thumbs up

Date: November 15, 2020 04:49

Amazing Stories Topi and TooTough. TooTough I would love to see closer shots of your autographs... The signed by all four Still Life at one time is legendary. The fastest I have ever got a full set is over two days and I have lots of sets that are still 20 years in the making and not yet complete!

Here is a lovely example of a guitar done with plenty of time and care... I and really lucky to have have had a few guitars done like this for me by Ronnie.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 15, 2020 11:11

I got Bobby Keys in 1995 at their hotel, we had coffee together at the cafe inside the place. What a great guy, I got to spend 25 minutes with a Legend and he was just awesome. It's Signed "Bobby Keys The Rolling Stones 1995", if only phone camera's were around.

But an absolute pleasure to meet, we talked about Buddy Holly and being a 24 yr old guy I was stretching at the time too come up with interesting questions as I didn't want to linger on EOMS he indulged me though and said "You should visit France, it's a great place"

But I was so happy that I approached him, he was sitting alone at the Bar & thought "Do it or you'll regret not doing it"

At the same time my great friend Alto Pablo was talking with Lisa & Bernard and they were super generous with their Fan Interaction.

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 15, 2020 14:13

Can anyone explain Charlie's signature? What does it say?

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: November 15, 2020 15:07

Charlie Boy.

Satisfied since 1976

Re: Rolling Stones Autographs
Date: November 15, 2020 17:30

chriseganstar

Charlie Boy.

Yes, see the descriptions about Charlie Watts:

1964 Rolling Stones-signed Record - [www.PBS.org]

All Stars ‘64 Tour-program (8 Feb - 7 Mar, 1964) - [www.JuliensLive.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-15 17:45 by Irix.

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 15, 2020 18:16

Yeah, it was clearly 'Charlie Boy' in the old days but apparently evolved into something else later on...I can't find the 'Charlie' in his modern-day sig.

Date: November 15, 2020 19:25

z

I can't find the 'Charlie' in his modern-day sig.

Looks like he added something beginning with an 'L' (maybe: 'Love from'), followed by 'CBoy'.

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-15 19:40 by Irix.

Date: November 15, 2020 20:01

I remember hearing it's "Love, Charlie Boy"

A little something to add to my Jagger Stockholm 2014 story. As we were waiting outside the hotel, at one point a young lady working for the band asked me if she could take my photo. She asked me to show my CD cover. She then added: "Still Life? Good choice".

I later learned that the photo was posted on the Stones' Instagram a few moments before their departure.

Did Mick take a look at the Instagram account and see a photo of me holding the CD cover and the sharpie?

I will never know. But it's a nice thought.

The photo is still on the Stones" IG, here: [www.instagram.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-15 20:09 by Topi.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: November 15, 2020 20:59

I have been collecting autographs of my favourite musicians for over 10 years now. Obviously due to the fact that I am based in Poland (although I have travelled as far as to the UK or US to get autographs or meet my heroes) and started relatively late (best time to graph Stones were probably 1990s), I’ve had much more struggle to meet all Stones and get their autographs. However throughout the years I have met most of current and past key band members. Below are some of favourite items from my Stones collection - most signed In Person (IP), but also acquired.

Warsaw 2018 limited lithograph - bought at the show and signed by Mick & Charlie the following day. I have spent literally 3 days (up to 18h a day) „chasing” ellusive Sir Jagger during band’s stay in Poland, but it was ultimately worth it and ended up being my most memorable meeting with rock n roll hero ever!

Blue & Lonesome Deluxe CD - also beautifully autographed by Mick & Charlie during their stay in Warsaw in 2018.

Keith Richards „Crosseyed Heart” - very rare full autograph from Keith with personalization & added „one love” phase. Signed on a low-key occasion during my trip to the US in 2017.

Vol. 2 DECCA 1970s pressing - signed by Charlie (2014), Keith (2017) and finally added Bill literally a few weeks ago via mail (he has stopped signing since so I was super lucky!)

Some Charlie & Bill autographs obtained via mail throughout the pandemic:

She’s A Rainbow RSD 10-inch single signed by Ronnie last year at Kingston show followed by Charlie earlier this year:

Ronnie Wood's "Artist" signed during in-store appearance at London's Selfridges, August 2017:

Ronnie Wood’s „Mad Lad” LP. Ronnie signed just 20 of those for the record store who organized his Kingston church gig last year. Those were gone online in seconds. Not many signed copies of this record exist.

Hope you like some of mine collection! IORR... But I like it!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-15 21:19 by wickerman.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: November 15, 2020 22:12

Trying to remember how to post photos

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-15 22:23 by deardoctortake1.

Date: November 16, 2020 00:53

Great stories...keep ´em coming...

wickerman, well done!
But what do you mean by "obtained via mail" -
you sent an already signed copy to CW or BW
and they sent it back? eye popping smiley

Date: November 16, 2020 02:19

wickerman
I have been collecting autographs of my favourite musicians for over 10 years now.

Great story and your hard work has been rewarded, your Crosseyed Heart is particularly fabulous! Well done...

Date: November 16, 2020 02:21

I don’t recommend using this as a reference but it was obtained right in front of me by a great friend in NYC outside the Blue Note Jazz club. We were the only two people waiting and Keith signed four things for me and three for my friend. All his were terrible although this is probably the worst, and all mine were reasonably good so I swapped him one. It’s a terrible example but it’s real. The key was control of the item. I handed each item to Keith so he could sign it, my friend held the item up for Keith to sign. Try signing your own name on something while a someone holds it up and you will see what I mean ;-)

Date: November 16, 2020 02:24

This is a later 2000 Ronnie, After a while Ronnie would tell me where he was going to be an I would take him more and more obscure stuff to sign... I would always give him random stuff too and I he would always do a nice job. Silver paint pen isn't easy, it's much higher risk but great results if when it does work.

Date: November 16, 2020 10:39

That dedicated Crosseyed Heart really looks great!

Date: November 17, 2020 00:17

The worst Keith I got myself, it was very dark and he had been celebrating, I had been shaking the pen like crazy but it still didn't deliver, never try a paint pen at in the dark!

Date: November 17, 2020 00:26

My worst Mick... some X&%$ pushed in front and handed Mick his rubbish pen!

Date: November 17, 2020 00:31

Enough rubbish ones (for now)... here is another great Ronnie one.

By this time he fairly often just signed Ronnie to me. This handbill was for a corporate gig at the CC Club but I had managed to secure an allocation of tickets that could be sold individually to fans so I commissioned this poster and Ronnie loved it. Only 50 posters and 20 handbills were printed.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: November 17, 2020 21:28

TooTough
But what do you mean by "obtained via mail" -
you sent an already signed copy to CW or BW
and they sent it back? eye popping smiley

Exactly. Both Charlie and Bill used to be pretty good with fanmail, especially Charlie. Sadly some autograph dealers pretty much ruined them by sending stacks of stuff to sign (as many as 10 per package!) from various addresses... sad smiley But they very very responsive throughout earlier part of the year, as they were all at homes during lockdown. I haven't risked much sending a "blank" vinyl to them, but obviously had my doubts sending a record already signed by Keith and Charlie to Bill... Fortunately after 3 nerve-wrecking weeks it has arrived back beautifully signed... grinning smiley

mattleeuk
Great story and your hard work has been rewarded, your Crosseyed Heart is particularly fabulous! Well done...

Topi
That dedicated Crosseyed Heart really looks great!

Thanks Matt & Topi. I love this thread. Please keep 'em coming. I would love to see more signed items and read amazing stories!

Date: November 17, 2020 22:08

I've heard that Charlie in particular is pretty good in responding to fan mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-17 22:31 by Topi.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2020 22:39

Have Anita's in a small notebook ......

ROCKMAN

Date: November 18, 2020 00:00

wickerman
Exactly. Both Charlie and Bill used to be pretty good with fanmail, especially Charlie. Sadly some autograph dealers pretty much ruined them by sending stacks of stuff to sign (as many as 10 per package!) from various addresses... sad smiley But they very very responsive throughout earlier part of the year, as they were all at homes during lockdown. I haven't risked much sending a "blank" vinyl to them, but obviously had my doubts sending a record already signed by Keith and Charlie to Bill... Fortunately after 3 nerve-wrecking weeks it has arrived back beautifully signed... grinning smiley

You have balls, man! smileys with beer I wouldn´t even bring one to
my living room next door fearing that it gets lost... grinning smiley

Date: November 18, 2020 00:01

Anyone recognise this? I actually really love this as a piece of original art. It counts towards this thread as although the piece was done around the time I was born Ronnie only signed if for me about 5 years ago.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2076
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home