Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The mystique of Keith's lost transparent Perspex/Lucite guitar
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 13, 2020 01:34

You only see it in the very late Sixties and very early Seventies. It looks so cool, but I read somewhere that it was very heavy. I think it was designed by some guitar wizard.

I read an interview with Keith once where he said it was stolen. I wonder if that was at the infamous Nellcote theft where a bunch of guitars were stolen.

I think I read somewhere that only a few prototypes were made. It makes you wonder if Keith's guitar has been hidden from public view all these years because it has a high profile. And what about the other prototypes? I can't recall ever seeing someone with the same type of instrument.

Finally, why were no others ever made? The mold for the Perspex must be somewhere. You would think that if you did a production run of say 500 they would sell out right away.

Perhaps some of the real guitar experts that know about these things could comment. I have been curious about the amazing transparent guitar for so long.

Re: The mystique of Keith's lost transparent Perspex/Lucite guitar
Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: November 13, 2020 02:00

That's the Ampeg Dan Armstrong. Serial production took place from 1969 to 1971, and there have been a few reissues since. Here's some more info, including a list of players:

Ampeg Dan Armstrong

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: November 13, 2020 02:06

I picked this one up a few years ago (a '71). Nice guitar, but, as you mention, a bit on the heavy side,,,

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 13, 2020 02:42

I worked my butt off to get one of those when I was 15. Yeah, it was heavy, but it caught the stage lights nicely and sounded very sweet. Like Keith's, mine was stolen years later because my brother, whom I was roommates with, left the front door unlocked. I shed a tear every time I see one. In fact, that might be mine!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 13, 2020 03:01

Thanks for the information. So it's not as rare as I thought it was. It's still an interesting story and Dan Armstrong has left his mark on the world.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 13, 2020 03:53

Its still a very kool looking axe. I always thought it looked great on Keef.

jb

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 13, 2020 04:16

xke38
That's the Ampeg Dan Armstrong. Serial production took place from 1969 to 1971, and there have been a few reissues since. Here's some more info, including a list of players:

Ampeg Dan Armstrong

And Cyril Jordan mightily....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home