Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones songs you used to like/dislike, but not now?
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 9, 2020 22:23

I sometimes amuse myself on this board by going way back and reading topics from years ago (this board is now 16 years old!). On a recent tour of the past I got to thinking about Stones songs I liked 16 years ago but don't like now, and Stones songs I disliked 16 years ago but like now.

Tastes change, the popular taste and individuals' taste. What's changed for you?

Used to dislike but like now: "I Am Waiting" (1966). From the Aftermath album. I'm starting to appreciate the older Stones songs from the hippy/swinging London era.

Use to like but dislike now: "Respectable" (1978). From the Some Girls album. Maybe I'm too old to dance anymore. This sounds like guitars flailing away to no purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 22:24 by Pietro.

Re: Stones songs you used to like/dislike, but not now?
Date: November 9, 2020 22:43

If You Really Want To Be My Friend. It grew on me, though. Today, it's my favourite on IORR.

The similarity with a line in Lonely At The Top used to annoy me ("you lead the small town girls astray" vs. "Now, baby, what's the use of fighting"). I heard Lonely At The Top first smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 22:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2020 22:44

My opinions have always been quite consistent for the most part between now and then - in fact the feeling of love or dislike has grown even stronger depending on the given song.
For example, Emotional Rescue gets worse and worse as each year passes by, as does Streets of Love, Don't Stop, and Mick's Let's Work (along with numerous other solo tunes of his).
In contrast, Happy keeps getting better and better as each year passes by, as does as does Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, and Keith's You Don't Move Me (and numerous other tunes of his).
Off the top of my head, can't really think of any I like now that I didn't like back then, and vice versa.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 9, 2020 23:35

She's A Rainbow, I used to think it was awful but now I appreciate that (D ? lick) Keith does live during the final 90 seconds and besides my little baby girl smiles and giggles when I play her the live version from Paris 2017 so I guess I have no choice than to change my opinion.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 10, 2020 00:20

The "like to dislike" one that stands out for me is 100 Years Ago. I loved it when I first discovered GHS, played it over and over but for some reason I just don't like it as much anymore. It's definitely my least favorite track on the album.

As for "dislike to like", if i don't like it, not much can change my mind, but! ... the other day I had on Voodoo Lounge and was sort of getting into Suck On The Jugular, i think it has moved up a notch of my opinion of it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 10, 2020 00:44

Can't think of any.

There are the ones I hate, the ones I don't like, and all the rest. That's never changed other than varying from what level of like/love.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 10, 2020 02:49

Brown sugar live

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 10, 2020 02:50

I use ta love her
but it's all over now .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: November 10, 2020 03:01

Most of Aftermath and Between the Buttons. Now I can't stop listening to both albums.

Also Can you hear the music and 100 years ago. The latest reissue of GHS made me revisit those songs and now I really enjoy them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-10 03:02 by eduardoacdc.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 10, 2020 03:54

"Mr. D" after hearing the live version and the instrumental version.

The original studio is still weak to me.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 10, 2020 11:42

The only (officially released) song I really disliked was (and still is) Sing This Song Together Part2.

My mood (or circumstances) decide wether or not I like to listen to any particular song at any given moment, but I usually have a good feeling about my favourite music.
smileys with beer

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 10, 2020 12:19

There are a fair few songs which I was not keen on when I heard the album but came to love after hearing live. Streets of Love is an extreme example.

You Got Me Rocking Now worked in reverse and although I like the original I don't particularly like to hear it live.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 10, 2020 12:26

Dislike -> Likethumbs up

Slave
If You Can't Rock Me
Dancing with Mr. D
Midnight Rambler (Get yer ya ya's live version)

Date: November 10, 2020 12:36

DiamondDog7
Dislike -> Likethumbs up

Slave
If You Can't Rock Me
Dancing with Mr. D

You disliked that one, when you first heard it?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 10, 2020 13:10

I would say "Neighbors" because song makes me think of my actual neighbors.

I think they go to bed at night thinking of ways to make noise.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 10, 2020 16:47

"Hang Fire" and "Slave" were 2 that seemed like let downs to me, now I really like "Slave" and think "Hang Fire" is better (than before, not better than "Slave").

Posted by: Shesarainbow ()
Date: November 11, 2020 01:32

100 years ago was a song that I could barely stomach for the last 40+ years. Now with the re-issue of Goats Head Soup I have come to appreciate it, especially the new ‘Mick’ piano version. There is an amazing acoustic version on YouTube sung by Inyang Bassey and Binky Griptite. Really good!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 11, 2020 06:31

I used to dislike Shattered quite a bit. Now I really hate it quite a bit.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 11, 2020 06:33

.... was it bed bugs or sex and dreams that turned ya ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 11, 2020 06:54

Rockman
.... was it bed bugs or sex and dreams that turned ya ???

Nah...it is that stupid "shadoobee uh huh shattered" lyrics. Real irritating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-11 06:55 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2020 08:25

Elmo Lewis
"Hang Fire" and "Slave" were 2 that seemed like let downs to me, now I really like "Slave" and think "Hang Fire" is better (than before, not better than "Slave").

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2020 08:27

Rockman
I use ta love her
but it's all over now .....

I see how you did that!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 11, 2020 09:26

Pietro
I sometimes amuse myself on this board by going way back and reading topics from years ago (this board is now 16 years old!). On a recent tour of the past I got to thinking about Stones songs I liked 16 years ago but don't like now, and Stones songs I disliked 16 years ago but like now.

Tastes change, the popular taste and individuals' taste. What's changed for you?

Used to dislike but like now: "I Am Waiting" (1966). From the Aftermath album. I'm starting to appreciate the older Stones songs from the hippy/swinging London era.

Use to like but dislike now: "Respectable" (1978). From the Some Girls album. Maybe I'm too old to dance anymore. This sounds like guitars flailing away to no purpose.

I feel the same way about I Am Waiting.

Date: November 11, 2020 10:22

DandelionPowderman
DiamondDog7
Dislike -> Likethumbs up

Slave
If You Can't Rock Me
Dancing with Mr. D

Yeah, this track was too long for my taste and I didn't the backstory of it. But now the volume will be raised on my headphones. ;-)

Date: November 11, 2020 10:23

DiamondDog7
DandelionPowderman
DiamondDog7
Dislike -> Likethumbs up

Slave
If You Can't Rock Me
Dancing with Mr. D

Yeah, this track was too long for my taste and I didn't the backstory of it. But now the volume will be raised on my headphones. ;-)

thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 11, 2020 10:27

Want to say Send It To Me, but still can’t accept most of the lyrics. Damn shame....send me the instrumental version lol

Date: November 11, 2020 10:29

Elmo Lewis

O, I still really dislike Hang Fire so much. I can't stand that song!! LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: November 11, 2020 10:33

This is an interesting thread.
But I can't think of any.

Date: November 11, 2020 10:41

There are some studio versions that I struggled with a bit in the beginning, because I heard superior live versions first (Fingerprint File, Star Star, Hot Stuff, Happy – all on Love You Live). It was mainly the guitar playing in the live versions of those tracks that appealed to me.

But that wore off. It was all about getting used to slightly less energetic versions - and with time I learned to appreciate other qualities in the studio versions of those songs (although I still find the studio versions of FF, SS and Happy a tad weaker).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-11 10:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 11, 2020 10:49

I didn't like all the new vocals on the new songs on the Some Girls Deluxe release, it spoiled the tracks for me. Now I think the extras are among the best work released since Undercover.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1669
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home