Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Pride Before A Fall
Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: October 29, 2020 14:48

Agreed, when he does that he is far too obvious and direct. He's think it's clever. Keith always sees right through it

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 29, 2020 15:05

So lonely, just Jags on his own (again).

The Stones used to be a gang.

Yeah, I know, they are isolating, but I'm not excited by this constant drip drip of photos of him alone playing some music.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 29, 2020 15:09

He did that before they were in isolation grinning smiley

Date: October 29, 2020 15:13

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
So this is a 'slow blues song'? I thought that category would refer to things like "Love In Vain", "CS Blues" or "Down In The Hole"... but if this is a 'slow blues song' I would say that things like "Hand of Fate", "Start Me Up" or "Gotta Get A Grip" are also...

Anyway, could it be that this might be the song that that hot current pop producer, was his name Falk or something, described as "not having played so many blues chords in his life" or something?

- Doxa

Listen to the beat and not the energy. It's 'Mannish Boy-slow' smiling smiley

Well, I wouldn't call Muddy's original "Mannish Boy" a 'slow blues song' either, or that would make about every blues song 'slow' - which in case wouldn't add anything descriptive to the term 'blues'... It is the energy and the groove in the Muddy original - and similar Chicago electric blues material - that the Stones have so brilliantly applied to their own originals, the ones we call 'rockers'. That is, the Stones many times manage to create an intense atmosphere, which hides pretty well how slow the tempo actually is....

Of course, if the criterion is speed metal or something....grinning smiley

- Doxa

What would you call Confessing The Blues, then? Because that's the landscape we're in here.

I would guess 105/110 beats per minute (SMU is 122). I could be wrong, though - it's a muddy recording smiling smiley

The guitars sounded a tad rusty, and Mick could work on the melody. But at least it's a blues song - and that's great! thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 15:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 29, 2020 16:58

Haven't I heard this in some form before? It strikes me as nothing particularly new in sound. Maybe that's what people want.

Date: October 29, 2020 17:01

dmay
Haven't I heard this in some form before? It strikes me as nothing particularly new in sound. Maybe that's what people want.

I guess the blues is... the blues winking smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 29, 2020 17:25

Sounds a bit dull to my ears. Mick again in his over-singing Mick parody style.

I wish he’d just sing, instead of s-a-i—n-n-n-g-h (best way I could write an over-exaggerated “sing”)...

Rod

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: October 29, 2020 17:54

Nice to see Mick did not forget his 20 years old self moves dancing around the mic stand. Looking good, sir

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: October 29, 2020 17:59

I agree with the over singing part. Just sing the vocals like you know how Mick. Also hearing the lyric "Tweeting" referring to twitter in a Stones song is kinda a gut punch. Hard to add next to "Crossfire Hurricane" and all the other greats.

Oh well, I'll remain hopeful until we officially hear more. New music is better than No music at all!

Cheers

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 29, 2020 18:39

I got excited, but then I was reminded `bout the "Hide Your Love" similarity...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2020 18:40

retired_dog
Hairball
Musically OK, lyrically average, vocally sounds like Mick's over-exaggeration is back in full force.
Overall sounds slightly familiar, but can't pin down from where (yet)...maybe we'll get to hear more.

Keep cool. It's just work-in-progress. It's obvious that Mick is singing live to a prepared backing track. In all fairness, if you want to slag it, wait for the finished product.

Wasn't really a "slag", but more of an impression on what I heard in the brief clip.
In contrast to the great Ghost Town, it isn't really what I was expecting or hoping for as a follow up which is why I stated in my second post that maybe it's just an unfinished demo that needs more work.
Also, to call this simply a "slow blues" as some are here are seems quite a stretch - there might be a hint of a slow blues element, but it has more of a pop jazz vibe...a bit like a Steely Dan tune if you think about it.
Anyhow, glad Mick is looking well and still keeping busy, but hopefully he'll put more time in to this and other unfinished tunes so we may see a new album some day, and hopefully this isn't the next single.

bitusa2012
Sounds a bit dull to my ears. Mick again in his over-singing Mick parody style.

I wish he’d just sing, instead of s-a-i—n-n-n-g-h (best way I could write an over-exaggerated “sing”)...

Ram
I agree with the over singing part. Just sing the vocals like you know how Mick.

Looks like I'm not the only one who has mixed emotions over this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 18:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 29, 2020 18:47

Well, what are the chances this is actually getting released? Maybe it's just Mick saying hey I'm still rockin' at 77 people

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 29, 2020 18:57

peoplewitheyes
So lonely, just Jags on his own (again).

The Stones used to be a gang.

Yeah, I know, they are isolating, but I'm not excited by this constant drip drip of photos of him alone playing some music.

Folks The Stones have spent loads of time 'together' on this material (over the past five years) ... They have had several group sessions. Mick just recently said he'd also like a couple more .. (no worry in this aspect).

They have also spent time apart on it. Read Time IS On Our Side website and
see excerpts of their interviews concerning their group sessions on this material.

It is 2020 .. not 1968. People make records differently now ... much differently ...especially in the past 15 years and artists take advantage of technology. >>> besides Mick and Keith have ALWAYS worked on songs on their own ... since the 1970's.

Chill Folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 19:00 by IanBillen.

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: October 29, 2020 18:59

Hot Rocks, Nobody cares what you think. No One.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 29, 2020 19:04

He posted it again... on his instagram story this time. Maybe we could hear this one sooner than later?

Date: October 29, 2020 19:10

Howdy Ian.thumbs up

IanBillen

It is 2020 .. not 1968. People make records differently now ... much differently ...

Yeah, and some bands don't release any new albums of their own music at all these days - well, there's at least one band I can think of.
15 years and counting for the Stones...in the doldrums...without an album of originals...maybe another new single some day (?)...that's the best we could hope for at this point....

Date: October 29, 2020 19:42

<it has more of a pop jazz vibe...a bit like a Steely Dan tune if you think about it>

Woah, people hear different things! smiling smiley

The good ol' boogie kings of Steely Dan, no less...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 29, 2020 20:27

If this is an anti-trump song, I say GOOD FOR YOU, MICK! Everyone on this planet has been negatively impacted by tchump....for those who feel differently, I say freedom of speech is still alive & well the last time I checked. And yes, Mick looks fabulous and sounds great. I far prefer to see him being creative, keeping his chops sharp and enjoying himself. He will not be silenced.

Date: October 29, 2020 20:28

Similar vibe here to the Black Velvet tune mentioned previously Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic whith both being similar to Mick's snippet imo.
Jazzy pop w/ a hint of some bluesiness, but not a "slow blues" by any stretch.

Date: October 29, 2020 20:40

12 bar blues-boogie guitars, with a little twist. Guitar sound similar to that of Just Your Fool. You must have other Steely Dan-albums than I have (and I have them all). Similar vibe as Alannah Myles? Er, we were talking about the tempo (which is way faster on Black Velvet), not the music.

Hint: Listen to what the guitars play.
Hint 2: Watch Mick dance

Date: October 29, 2020 20:45

Er...eye rolling smiley...a bit condescending, but typical.

Date: October 29, 2020 21:03

Just going by what MY ears tell me, not intentionally condescending. + an attempt to be funny (Steely Dan) smiling smiley

Out of curiosity, what is the Steely Dan-connection for you? Is it within Mick's melody lines?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2020 21:40

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
So this is a 'slow blues song'? I thought that category would refer to things like "Love In Vain", "CS Blues" or "Down In The Hole"... but if this is a 'slow blues song' I would say that things like "Hand of Fate", "Start Me Up" or "Gotta Get A Grip" are also...

Anyway, could it be that this might be the song that that hot current pop producer, was his name Falk or something, described as "not having played so many blues chords in his life" or something?

- Doxa

Listen to the beat and not the energy. It's 'Mannish Boy-slow' smiling smiley

Well, I wouldn't call Muddy's original "Mannish Boy" a 'slow blues song' either, or that would make about every blues song 'slow' - which in case wouldn't add anything descriptive to the term 'blues'... It is the energy and the groove in the Muddy original - and similar Chicago electric blues material - that the Stones have so brilliantly applied to their own originals, the ones we call 'rockers'. That is, the Stones many times manage to create an intense atmosphere, which hides pretty well how slow the tempo actually is....

Of course, if the criterion is speed metal or something....grinning smiley

- Doxa

What would you call Confessing The Blues, then? Because that's the landscape we're in here.

I would guess 105/110 beats per minute (SMU is 122). I could be wrong, though - it's a muddy recording smiling smiley

The guitars sounded a tad rusty, and Mick could work on the melody. But at least it's a blues song - and that's great! thumbs up

To my ears "Confessin' The Blues" sounds slower, since both Jagger and the band treat the tempo by different means in order to get a certain impression. And no, I wouldn't put "Pride Before A Fall" to the same landscape. However, it could be that we mean different thing by "landscape". True that the song has a pretty basic blues chord pattern, and that the tempo in beats is pretty slow, so I think you are analytically speaking absolutely right (as you generally are in compared to megrinning smiley). But it is the over-all impression (of which vocals constritute a lot) that makes the difference to me. I would say that "Ghost Town" is actually closer to "Confessin' The Blues" by landscape, if we only pay attention to the verses, which (also) follow pretty basic I-IV-V pattern, although played in minor (well, "CS Blues" is as well).

But surely I would call the new song as a blues song as you do. Which, I agree, is always great!thumbs up

But to show how easily I contradict myself, I recall there was once a discussion in which I argued that "Down in The Hole" is not a blues song really or by foundation (or something), and I based my argument - if I recall right - on its non-typical chord structure, although about everything else in the song is no doubt pure blues....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 21:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 29, 2020 22:10

It feels good to see Mick still doing his thing. Overall it sounds cool, but its hard to analyze as this clip sounds like a bootleg of sound check recorded across the street from the stadium.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 22:11 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 29, 2020 23:49

trevormcmullin

Weird comment. This is a Stones message board. Follow the rules.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2020 00:03

ROCKMAN

Date: October 30, 2020 00:04

trevormcmullin

Why not? I do. Speak for yourself.

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: October 30, 2020 01:36

DandelionPowderman
trevormcmullin

Why not? I do. Speak for yourself.
I also do care

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 30, 2020 01:37

Hairball
Howdy Ian.thumbs up

IanBillen

It is 2020 .. not 1968. People make records differently now ... much differently ...

Yeah, and some bands don't release any new albums of their own music at all these days - well, there's at least one band I can think of.
15 years and counting for the Stones...in the doldrums...without an album of originals...maybe another new single some day (?)...that's the best we could hope for at this point....

Thanks for the welcome .. I'm never gone completely. I visit here and Rocksoff
even when I do not post. If someone directly responds to my statement such as you or the others here I do always try to reply back. Forgive me if I have not at one time or another .. If that is the case it was simply overlooked on my behalf.

The Stones are ridiculously lazy and very unproductive studio wise over the past 25 (maybe 30 years) .. to the point where I am tired (borderline disgusted) of seeing teasers and this and that about the new album. I love The Stones like the next here but I cannot cut them a break on select subjects / items .. this is one of them. I truly think they can deliver one last great album .. but they have drug their feet to the point in which I stopped caring (<<lately anyway).

They could of easily put out at least three or four more albums over the past 25 years and they haven't. Now all that time is lost studio wise. Too much concentration on memorabilia items and greatest hits package tours. They lost the chance to have three or four more albums .. now they have only a single chance at another studio album and they are dragging it out to a frustrating extreme.

With all that said .. I do like the recent audio clip. I dig what I heard more than LIAGT (last single). Sounds fairly promising to my ears .. sure not as a single as far as I can tell .. but something that has a spot on the album if worked on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-30 01:42 by IanBillen.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2020 01:54

Redhotcarpet
georgie48
trevormcmullin
If Mick/The Stones get political and throw shade at President Trump, I certainly won't be purchasing it.

Another one pretending to be a Stones fan. I guess you didn't purchase ABB either (Sweet Neocon ...). Get real ...

I didn’t but to me it’s about the art. I think he’s missing the target if the song is anti-Trump. He doesn’t have to be pro- or anti anything. Why not just write more abstract or introspective lyrics. Or maybe about some distant memory. How politics used to be black n white and about fiscal policies (Quoting Jagger) and now it’s more about culture revolutions vs western civilisation.

Well, let's see... who is any of us to dictate what Mick writes about? Just like any person on the planet, Mick is a human being. You're jumping to conclusions. You don't know what the song is about.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home