Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Pride Before A Fall
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 29, 2020 10:30

Mick should make TikTok videos, he'd be a hit

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 29, 2020 10:44

[www.facebook.com]

Dis is me fave .....
Crazy rattling fing it is .... Go Go ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 11:06 by Rockman.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 29, 2020 10:51

drewmaster
gotdablouse
it reminds me of something I can't quite place?

It reminds me a bit of Hide Your Love. With a hint of Under the Radar, perhaps. Anyway, it sounds bloody fantastic.

And just look at Jagger. 77 and still looking and sounding absolutely mesmerizing.

Drew

AMEN

Hope it's finished and ready to be released

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 29, 2020 11:00

Cooltoplady
Redhotcarpet
A song about Trump? Yawn.

Maybe the song is about you? Yawn

Ouch! Bur I sort of like the 1973ish feel. My firat thought was that Taylor wouldve been great on this.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 29, 2020 11:03

Thanks, so that's 6 songs with "Ghost Town" now ! 4 more to go for a 10 track album ;-)

I didn't remember that funky guitar on "Really Wanna Tell The Truth", wonder who plays that, sounds like Carlos Alomar ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 29, 2020 11:10

Perhaps I’m wrong, but this is the first tweet with a song title. His other tweets weren’t titled like “ really wannna tell the truth” so maybe we’re getting another single dropped shortly.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 29, 2020 11:19

McCartney is releasing an album soon, so Mick can't be outpaced

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 29, 2020 11:29

trevormcmullin
If Mick/The Stones get political and throw shade at President Trump, I certainly won't be purchasing it.

Another one pretending to be a Stones fan. I guess you didn't purchase ABB either (Sweet Neocon ...). Get real ...

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 29, 2020 11:54

People who think Mick tries to be current with this kind of music obviously have no idea how current pop music sounds.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 29, 2020 12:39

georgie48
trevormcmullin
If Mick/The Stones get political and throw shade at President Trump, I certainly won't be purchasing it.

Another one pretending to be a Stones fan. I guess you didn't purchase ABB either (Sweet Neocon ...). Get real ...

I didn’t but to me it’s about the art. I think he’s missing the target if the song is anti-Trump. He doesn’t have to be pro- or anti anything. Why not just write more abstract or introspective lyrics. Or maybe about some distant memory. How politics used to be black n white and about fiscal policies (Quoting Jagger) and now it’s more about culture revolutions vs western civilisation.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 29, 2020 12:41

MonkeyMan2000
People who think Mick tries to be current with this kind of music obviously have no idea how current pop music sounds.

So you mean he doesn't try to be current? That's not my impression. He's a keen listener. I think he lands somewhere in between. Between now and then.

Date: October 29, 2020 13:10

slewan
to me it sounds very much like a Mick Jagger solo album track…, i.e. rather mediocre

How many slow blues songs are there on Mick Jagger's solo albums?

I've never heard one, hence it doesn't sound like a solo tune, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 13:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 29, 2020 13:11

Rockman

[www.facebook.com]

Dis is me fave .....
Crazy rattling fing it is .... Go Go ...

It's my prefer too thumbs up

Date: October 29, 2020 13:12

I’m not saying that Mick doesn‘t try to be current in general. Specifically this song has a typical blues boogie guitar and is totally guitar based in general, so nothing like current pop music, if that‘s even a homogeneous group.

The problem might be the production here, because here Mick really tries to be current.

But I don‘t think it‘s a bad thing when you try to keep up with trends because it can challenge you to take your musical experience and implement it in new ways. Something which the Stones were all about up until 89. In their place I would probably dive into funk and disco music again, not the clean corny type, but the raunchy groovy kind of disco. The Stones are a great funk band and this kind of music experiences a massive resurgence at the moment, so this would probably expose them to a new and younger audience. For example the people who listen to Cory Henry and co.

My biggest hope is that the new album doesn‘t rely on stale rock grooves like the one he posted on instagram where he is playing harmonica. For that kind of music you don‘t need the deep, swampy groove the Stones are capable of creating.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 29, 2020 13:13

DandelionPowderman
slewan
to me it sounds very much like a Mick Jagger solo album track…, i.e. rather mediocre

There is "Blue"...one of his best solo song!!
[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 13:15 by KRiffhard.

Date: October 29, 2020 13:16

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
slewan

There is "Blue"...his best solo song!!
[youtu.be]

Which is not a slow blues song. It's only blue in name smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2020 13:38

Always a big joy to hear something novel from the big boys. Even if it is a small clip like Keith just came up with for Killer, or what Mick does here.

From the little I hear or distinguish from the noise, musically it sounds pretty standard mid-tempo Stones rocker. The wheel surely is not re-invented there, but I guess no one of us really expects or wants that from a 77 years old rocker, huh? The point seems to be in lyrics, and which, if the music is as quaint as it can be, can't be more current...

But what it is? A typical Mick teaser or an early indication of a new Stones/Jagger single?

Well, time will tell, but my guess is that this is Mick's little comment on the upcoming election next week. Nothing big, just a brief mocking of Trump. Who knows when the track is finished or released (if ever), but Mick just wanted to share a low-profile snippet of it now, while the topic is hotter than ever. So I don't expect a new Stones or Jagger single soon... and if Keith keeps his Putin-attitude I don't expect the track ever seeing an official Stones release (more like a bootleg haha) for the relief of all the Trump-lovers in IORR whose life is already so difficult in trying to cope with a liberal world.

That said, that of Mick commenting on Trump shouldn't come as any surprise. He's been pretty into hot current political and social topics lately: Brexit, Corona. Add there that of him having a personal brief with Trump for using Stones songs in his rallies against his own wish...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 13:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 29, 2020 13:43

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
slewan

There is "Blue"...his best solo song!!
[youtu.be]

Which is not a slow blues song. It's only blue in name smiling smiley

It's a strange and fascinating mixture of blues, soul & gospel with a touch of country in the bridge. At least that's how I hear it!

Date: October 29, 2020 13:56

Hairball
Musically OK, lyrically average, vocally sounds like Mick's over-exaggeration is back in full force.
Overall sounds slightly familiar, but can't pin down from where (yet)...maybe we'll get to hear more.

Keep cool. It's just work-in-progress. It's obvious that Mick is singing live to a prepared backing track. In all fairness, if you want to slag it, wait for the finished product.

Date: October 29, 2020 14:09

So this is a 'slow blues song'? I thought that category would refer to things like "Love In Vain", "CS Blues" or "Down In The Hole"... but if this is a 'slow blues song' I would say that things like "Hand of Fate", "Start Me Up" or "Gotta Get A Grip" are also...

Anyway, could it be that this might be the song that that hot current pop producer, was his name Falk or something, described as "not having played so many blues chords in his life" or something?

- Doxa

Date: October 29, 2020 14:12

Doxa
So this is a 'slow blues song'? I thought that category would refer to things like "Love In Vain", "CS Blues" or "Down In The Hole"... but if this is a 'slow blues song' I would say that things like "Hand of Fate", "Start Me Up" or "Gotta Get A Grip" are also...

Anyway, could it be that this might be the song that that hot current pop producer, was his name Falk or something, described as "not having played so many blues chords in his life" or something?

- Doxa

Listen to the beat and not the energy. It's 'Mannish Boy-slow' smiling smiley

Date: October 29, 2020 14:15

How someone can‘t hear the blues shuffle (guitar and drums) on there is beyond me.

Date: October 29, 2020 14:18

And I‘m pretty sure this is Charlie on the drums, especially how the triplets on the snare are played...

Date: October 29, 2020 14:24

MonkeyMan2000
How someone can‘t hear the blues shuffle (guitar and drums) on there is beyond me.

I would say how someone can't hear the blues shuffle (guitar and drums) about in every Stones tune is beyond me...

- Doxa

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: October 29, 2020 14:29

I think it's cool to see him playing like that, i'm more anxious about Keith playing piano like an Old grandpa to his grand children , singing HB,very pathetic.

Date: October 29, 2020 14:34

Doxa
MonkeyMan2000

I would say how someone can't hear the blues shuffle (guitar and drums) about in every Stones tune is beyond me...

- Doxa

I might have sounded a bit snooty there, sorry. But don‘t you hear the rhythm guitar and the drums with that triplet feel? It‘s got that same groove like Everybody Knows About My Good Thing or Can‘t Quit You Baby. Not like the straight Hand Of Fate or Start Me Up.

Date: October 29, 2020 14:38

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Or "Black Velvet-slow". Similar groove, but Stones tune is a few beats slower.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 29, 2020 14:40

Redhotcarpet
georgie48
trevormcmullin

I didn’t but to me it’s about the art. I think he’s missing the target if the song is anti-Trump. He doesn’t have to be pro- or anti anything. Why not just write more abstract or introspective lyrics. Or maybe about some distant memory. How politics used to be black n white and about fiscal policies (Quoting Jagger) and now it’s more about culture revolutions vs western civilisation.

Yes, it's about the art. That's why "art"ists are so important! Protest singers like Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, etc., one man show hosts, stand-upcomedians, etc., etc. have the freedom to keep their fans awake. Whether it's about nasty boys or girls, "Time waits for no one", Fingerprint File, (Doo doo doo) Heartbreaker, Sweet Neocon, etc. They are great songs artistically/musically, but on top of that they carry a message for the open ears. You are free to like it or not. The artists are/should be free too. I look forward to Pride Before A Fall cool smiley

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: October 29, 2020 14:44

I'm just pointing out that it wouldn't be the first time Mick jumps on a popular band wagon thing (hate Trump, etc) and tries to cleverly instill it in a song and has it usually flops. I loved the clip of him playing the guitar 9 mo ago or so singing a little - that sounded good. So did Ghost Town....not this

Date: October 29, 2020 14:47

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Well, I wouldn't call Muddy's original "Mannish Boy" a 'slow blues song' either, or that would make about every blues song 'slow' - which in case wouldn't add anything descriptive to the term 'blues'... It is the energy and the groove in the Muddy original - and similar Chicago electric blues material - that the Stones have so brilliantly applied to their own originals, the ones we call 'rockers'. That is, the Stones many times manage to create an intense atmosphere, which hides pretty well how slow the tempo actually is....

Of course, if the criterion is speed metal or something....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home