Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Keith Richards interview by Rolling Stone Magazine - October 26, 2020
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 31, 2020 02:24

Ronnie was completely sloppy drunk as hell and/or high on coke for a majority of his membership with the band, yet somehow they kept him.
I remember reading an interview where he said he was crawling around on the floor looking for bits of his freebase, when he should have been preparing for the next show.
And then there were the chaotic episodes like this: Ronnie and girlfriend Ekaterina which led to his divorce, etc., etc., etc.

Glad he sobered up finally as it did help him focus on his playing (among many other things), but there were literally decades when he was MIA as a member of the Stones.
I'm actually surprised they kept him back then, but both Mick and Charlie have given their opinion on when the Stones were at their best, and that's when Mick Taylor was with the band..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 02:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 31, 2020 02:38

"I know he is but what was Ronnie?" confused smiley

Yup.
Not exactly breaking news, along with all their excesses.
Kept it together enough to keep his job and friends, a lot of us don't, like MT. Familiar story unfortunately.

Date: October 31, 2020 02:54

Taylor was and always will be a Rolling Stone even if in name only as his input and contributions both on record and live clearly ousthines anything his replacement contributed.
And even when that replacement finally sobered up at the tale end of the bands history, his spastic playing didn't come close to anything from Taylor.
Ronnie would probably be the first to admit it (as did Mick and Charlie) that Taylor was superior in every way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 02:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 31, 2020 05:53

45 years is a long time ago and to still be comparing the two, it's absurd really, at least to this degree.
If I had half the animosity you routinely exhibit towards anything Ronnie or Mick, no fcking way I'd still be a fan, hating half the members.

Each his/her own I guess. I tend to like bands with members that I, well.. like.

Date: October 31, 2020 05:57

I actually LOVE 'em all - just some more than others.thumbs up

Date: October 31, 2020 10:13

You have a funny way of showing it. Let's talk Keith! thumbs up

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 31, 2020 11:48

And here comes second clown Gas Light Street,funniest clown on the planet.Now we just have to wait for the moment when he take his mask off.My guessed would be Elvis

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 31, 2020 11:56

you mean Elvis Costello is here on IORR .... !!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 31, 2020 12:34

Yes Rockman Elvis Costello is here,behind the mask of Gas Light Street

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 31, 2020 14:30

A really good interview. It's good to know that Keith is still Keith.

Re: New Rolling Stone interview with Keith Richards
Date: October 31, 2020 20:54

Hairball

Again, there's a handful of people who attempt to downplay his involvement on that recent tour for whatever reason, but the fact is that for the majority who were there it was very memorable and perhaps the highlights of all latter era Stones shows.

I'm not downplaying Taylor for the sake of downplaying him, but I cannot help comparing him to the way he played till say, 2000.To me anyone who thinks that Taylor did a great job with the Stones in 2012 etc doesn't have a clue what his playing was all about: tone, sound, frasing, vibrato, routine.. all that was gone during his last tour. Gone with the wind. And in a way it made me feel sad to see and hear him struggle, my old guitar hero. With the Roots he still was quite ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 21:01 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 31, 2020 21:09

[www.youtube.com]

Taylor was great here in 2016 - 4.00 minute mark and on

Date: October 31, 2020 21:17

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball

Again, there's a handful of people who attempt to downplay his involvement on that recent tour for whatever reason, but the fact is that for the majority who were there it was very memorable and perhaps the highlights of all latter era Stones shows.

I'm not downplaying Taylor for the sake of downplaying him, but I cannot help comparing him to the way he played till say, 2000.To me anyone who thinks that Taylor did a great job with the Stones in 2012 etc doesn't have a clue what his playing was all about: tone, sound, frasing, vibrato, routine.. all that was gone during his last tour. Gone with the wind. And in a way it made me feel sad to see and hear him struggle, my old guitar hero. With the Roots he still was quite ok.

Nope, we'll just have to agree to disagree - thousands upon thousands of fans who were enthralled vs. a handful who want to downplay it like yourself for whatever reason. And nobody is saying he was as great as he once was, but for you to say "anyone who thinks that Taylor did a great job with the Stones in 2012 etc doesn't have a clue what his playing was all about" is a bit snobby and laughable. Obviously none of the Stones are as good as they once were, but it's a shame you couldn't enjoy it for how great he actually still was. As for the Roots - a horrible performance, not by Mick Taylor, but the Roots just couldn't get the vibe right.

Date: October 31, 2020 21:23

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Taylor was great here in 2016 - 4.00 minute mark and on

Agreed, but please tell my he didn't use that approach with the Stones ?

Date: October 31, 2020 21:26

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman
Hairball

Nope, we'll just have to agree to disagree - thousands upon thousands of fans who were enthralled vs. a handful who want to downplay it like yourself for whatever reason. And nobody is saying he was as great as he once was, but for you to say "anyone who thinks that Taylor did a great job with the Stones in 2012 etc doesn't have a clue what his playing was all about" is a bit snobby and laughable. Obviously none of the Stones are as good as they once were, but it's a shame you couldn't enjoy it for how great he actually still was. As for the Roots - a horrible performance, not by Mick Taylor, but the Roots just couldn't get the vibe right.

Frankly I preferred the Roots as a band above the Stones, in the Taylor context (2012 etc).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 21:30 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 31, 2020 21:33

TheflyingDutchman

Frankly I preferred the Roots as a band above the Stones, in the Taylor context (2012 etc).

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.
The Roots might be a decent well polished cover band, but the rolling Stones they'll never be.
A bit too sterile and mecahnical without the heart and soul.

Date: October 31, 2020 21:51

Hairball
TheflyingDutchman

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.
The Roots might be a decent well polished cover band, but the rolling Stones they'll never be.
A bit too sterile and mecahnical without the heart and soul.

We don't disagree, we have a different taste in music. Thank god, what a boring world it would be.thumbs up

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 31, 2020 22:24

What has Taylor to do with this interview?

Date: October 31, 2020 22:48

MartinB
What has Taylor to do with this interview?

Nothing, and that's the irony - someone brought him up on the first page of this thread because he was NOT mentioned in the interview!
Funny how various threads tend to evolve like that sometimes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 22:49 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 31, 2020 23:13

Blondie is probably pissed
he didnt get a mention either ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: November 1, 2020 21:09

Big Al
Interesting to note that he’s not a U.S. citizen. I’d have thought he’d have acquired it and become a ‘dual-national’, just like so many of his U.S.-based British contemporaries: Ozzy, Peter Frampton, etc.

I'm not surprised. On the Hyde Park release from 2013 he mentioned about not being too patriotic.
My SO is an American and I'm Canadian. The paperwork is daunting to become a citizen..
I like to think of Keith as the ultimate world citizen.
"Where am I? It's as good as home..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2020 16:44

harlem shuffle
And here comes second clown Gas Light Street,funniest clown on the planet.Now we just have to wait for the moment when he take his mask off.My guessed would be Elvis

I see mom doesn't laugh at your joke attempts. Lonely in her basement innit.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home