Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: New Rolling Stone interview with Keith Richards
Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 29, 2020 14:51

You have taken me to another era, another time with that post, Dan! And that‘s not exaggerated. Working in restaurants during summer to scrap the money together, planning the journeys, the stress of getting the right tickets...and then finally being able to go to the shows and meet people like you from all over the world who share the same passion. I did have to call in sick a lot at school during those tours :-). All that adventure and excitement seems far away now... stuck at home, in front of a screen all day and then they expect you to function like a machine and soak up the subject matter. But yeah, there‘s people suffering a lot more, one has to keep that in mind.
So these pictures of Keith and your message really made my day!

And man, Matt‘s and Rob‘s band sounds great!! Filthy Groove, great guitar sound and that voice! Might come over to watch these guys in NYC when this is all over...hope to meet you guys again as soon as possible

Date: October 29, 2020 15:10

GasLightStreet
wonderboy
stone4ever
Rockman
Surely there's some way we can blame
Mick for Keith leaving Taylor out of the interview

Give them time, this stuff isn't easy to conjure, what seemed like a nice interview from Keith will be unearthed into something far more sinister, just takes a little more scrutiny.

Nothing about Brian, either. Or Spanish Tony. Or that German model he chased for a while.

Or that he ground up his dad's ashes, cooked 'em down and mainlined them.

Would have been a classic "as time went by Keith-exaggeration"! grinning smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 29, 2020 15:45

GasLightStreet
ryanpow
"Do you feel like you’re still learning things about the blues?

'As long as it’s not dead, there’ll always be something to learn' about it. Sometimes it’s far too many people trying to play it, but at the same time, that is the human condition.'"

Whatcha mean by that, Keith?

Maybe the average bar band playing something dumb and not real blues like Mercedes Blues because their Mercedes broke down?

What about something like this :

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-29 15:48 by ryanpow.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 29, 2020 15:53

Very cool attitude towards bootlegs and "shit escaping", I love it when artists can still appreciate themselves from a music fan's perspective and remember that fans just want to hear everything. Lux and Ivy from The Cramps loved and encouraged bootlegs too and even used to track down their own!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 29, 2020 19:07

WorriedAboutYou
Very cool attitude towards bootlegs and "shit escaping", I love it when artists can still appreciate themselves from a music fan's perspective and remember that fans just want to hear everything. Lux and Ivy from The Cramps loved and encouraged bootlegs too and even used to track down their own!

Yeah, this part made my old friend who released the original Stone Alone/Toronto Sessions vinyl boot very happy...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 29, 2020 19:22

Hairball
Mariuana
Hairball
Mariuana
Hairball
For what it's worth, it was Keith who was hoping Taylor would join them for the following tour in 2015, but no doubt it was Mick who vetoed the idea unfortunately.
A shame as they were on a roll during that tour with Taylor, but you can see in many videos Mick shutting him down in the midst of a solo for whatever reason (I don't think Mick liked sharing the spotlight that much).
Anyhow, no big deal that Taylor wasn't mentioned in this new Keith interview as I'm sure Keith would have nothing but praise for him if the subject would have been brought up.

Where did you get that from? Most of the videos show some encouraging eye contact and interraction between Jagger and Taylor. No "shutting down" or something.

It's been discussed here many times based on several videos on youtube.

*edit: You might want to search the Mick Taylor thread to see for yourself.

It does not mean anything. There're lot of different videos, so what. Funny how people tend to blame Mick for whatever they read on "discussion threads".

It's just an opinion, and whether it was Mick who vetoed his return or not can't be positive - I'd call it intuition. But I didn't intend to state that as a fact, and I should have added "in my mind" after "no doubt".
What is a fact is personally witnessing Mick shut down Taylor in person several times (I saw six shows that tour), and it's not something I just read on "discussion threads".
There's also videos of it happening from shows I wasn't at. So you disagree and/or don't believe it ever happened- no big deal, but no reason to continue arguing over it.

edit: The bottom line is, it's sad that Keith didn't get his wish to keep Taylor in the band in 2015 - he was quoted as saying that he (to paraphrase) "wanted to see how far the three guitar assault could go".
The highlights of every one of those reunion shows was when Taylor was on stage imo, and no doubt in my mind they could have taken it much further, but unfortunately we'll never find out.

The only occasions I'm aware of when it was obvious Taylor was "shut down" by Mick were the rare appearances of "Sway" when indeed I would have liked to hear longer solos by Taylor. Apart from that, he usually had plenty of time for soloing on Midnight Rambler and CYHMK, but unfortunately, at least in my humble opinion, he was rarely able to rise to the occasion, a few outstanding versions not withstanding. But more often than not, he sounded somewhat unconnected to the rest of the band.

I guess that by 2015, it became obvious to the band that the novelty of having Taylor back had simply worn off.

Date: October 29, 2020 19:40

When you have cues on a big stage you'll signal that cue, you don't shut anything down. They have lights to consider as well. And when they play rare songs those cues become increasingly important.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: October 29, 2020 20:15

I'm sure everything on the tour is pre planned, rehearsed and scheduled anyway, timing for extended Taylor solo included. They are no bunch of roockies. I don't know why should it be interpreted as something disrespectful and sinister towards Taylor.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 29, 2020 20:18

Keith shut down MT on TD from Ladies and Gents Video on his solo.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 29, 2020 20:25

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Was he shut down or told to shut up? winking smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 29, 2020 20:46

Re: New Rolling Stone interview with Keith Richards new
Posted by: DandelionPowderman ()

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

same thing thumbs up

Date: October 29, 2020 21:04

OpenG
Re: New Rolling Stone interview with Keith Richards new
Posted by: DandelionPowderman ()

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

same thing thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 29, 2020 21:09

Yeah but it was Mick way back in
the sand pit who taught Keith ta say shut up ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 29, 2020 21:23

Here's a good one at 1:06:

[youtu.be]

Date: October 29, 2020 22:47

.... Yeah z ... there it is the ole sand-pit curse ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2020 02:11

ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow
"Do you feel like you’re still learning things about the blues?

'As long as it’s not dead, there’ll always be something to learn' about it. Sometimes it’s far too many people trying to play it, but at the same time, that is the human condition.'"

Whatcha mean by that, Keith?

Maybe the average bar band playing something dumb and not real blues like Mercedes Blues because their Mercedes broke down?

What about something like this :

[www.youtube.com]

Is that Joel Osteen's father?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2020 13:09

Hairball
The bottom line is, it's sad that Keith didn't get his wish to keep Taylor in the band in 2015 - he was quoted as saying that he (to paraphrase) "wanted to see how far the three guitar assault could go".

It is sad that the public Keith Richards doesn't always fit to the fanboy projections attributed to him:

"I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realized that was just a hope, and idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really." Keith Richards, 2015

- Doxa

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 30, 2020 13:46

Doxa
Hairball
The bottom line is, it's sad that Keith didn't get his wish to keep Taylor in the band in 2015 - he was quoted as saying that he (to paraphrase) "wanted to see how far the three guitar assault could go".

It is sad that the public Keith Richards doesn't always fit to the fanboy projections attributed to him:

"I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realized that was just a hope, and idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really." Keith Richards, 2015

- Doxa

With Keith, the myth overwhelms the man a lot of the time. People need to realize he's not indestructible. To be fair, a lot the myth has come from himself. He is definitely 1 of a kind. It will be a sad day when he's gone. & it will happen before cockroaches become extinct.

Date: October 30, 2020 14:22

Doxa

- Doxa

I think that Keith heard it good. If and when the Stones use three guitars, it's usually Jagger playing with Wood and Richards. In the case with Mick Taylor it obviously didn't work, apart from the guests spot Taylor had on the songs where he used to play in the good old days, a nostalgia act for the diehard fans. During the last tour it obviously became quite superfluous, just like in 1981.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2020 18:50

Funny that Keith doesn't regard Jagger's guitar playing very highly otherwise he would have been content with finding out what a three guitar band would have blossomed in to with Mick J's guitar as #3.
Surely he had a wish (or a hope) that Mick Taylor would continue on with the band in 2015 to see how they could have blossomed further (his own words), but for whatever reason decided maybe not a a good idea - perhaps Jagger squashed the idea. Not to ruffle any feathers, Keith then said "The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really" which is also an unintentional jab at Mick J's weak guitar playing if you read between the lines. Anyhow, most people know Taylor's inclusion was the highlight of the tour, yet a few try or downplay it whatever reason. To compare it to his guest spot in '81 misses the mark by a thousand miles - surely that can't be a serious statment. One Mick Taylor solo on Midnight Rambler or CYHMK or Sway on that recent tour was equal to ( or superior) to an entire setlist of Ronnie's ramblings imo.

"a nostalgia act for the diehard fans"

Just about everything at a Stones show from the last few decades could be considered "a nostalgia act", especially the last few tours where in some cases the newest song was over 30 years old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-30 19:03 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 30, 2020 19:11

Now Jagger's getting slammed for not being a virtuoso guitar player?
And Keith allegedly is disappointed by this hallucination ?? Lol.

Has anyone checked in with Charlie to hear how he feels about Mick's drumming yet?

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 30, 2020 19:24

This clown Hairball has to be the dumbest person ever om these sites,stupid thimgs coming from that clown everyday.

Date: October 30, 2020 19:27

Lol....childish personal insults coming from from the #1 Keith hater...

Re: Keith Richards interview by Rolling Stone Magazine - October 26, 2020
Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 30, 2020 19:54

Still Number one Hairball,every comments from you is silly and stupid

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 30, 2020 19:58

* Realize that Keith was just being sarcastic.
No one is certainly immune from covid.

RS: Your old friend Marianne Faithfull contracted COVID. Do you know how she’s doing?

KR: Marianne, my babe. She’s good. You think I’m gonna be the one with the roaches? That’s Marianne. Made of stern stuff, that woman.

RS: Have you feared catching it yourself?

KR: I’m impervious. I’m like Donald Trump... immune... [Laughs] Note the hollow laugh.

RS: How closely have you been following the election?

KR: Politics — I’ve seen too much of it to take much notice. Things can get a little hairy, but you’re talking to the exiles on Main Street, man. We got thrown out of our own country for being too successful. Any nutty thing you can dream up, there it is. It’s just another period now.

RS: Brian Wilson and Mike Love of the Beach Boys have been bickering over Love’s support of Trump. Did the Stones ever fight about politics?

KR: We have no political differences because we’re basically apolitical. We’re just making music... And I’m English and I’m living in America, so I’m not gonna squeak hardly. I’ll just squeak a little.

RS: Are you a U.S. citizen?

KR: I have a passport that says U.K. But I think globally.

RS: A citizen of the world.

KR: They don’t have a passport for it yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 15:25 by schillid.

Date: October 30, 2020 23:54

Hairball
To compare it to his guest spot in '81 misses the mark by a thousand miles - surely that can't be a serious statment. One Mick Taylor solo on Midnight Rambler or CYHMK or Sway on that recent tour was equal to ( or superior) to an entire setlist of Ronnie's ramblings imo.

Just about everything at a Stones show from the last few decades could be considered "a nostalgia act", especially the last few tours where in some cases the newest song was over 30 years old.

What I meant to say is that the Rolling Stones as a three guitar band sounds messy, both in 1981 with Taylor and with Taylor in 2012. How much I love Taylor's work with the Stones between 1969 and 1973, to me his playing on the last tour was next to nothing. Actually the entire band. No testosterone anymore. And that's what a rockband requires: TESTOSTERONE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-30 23:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Re: Keith Richards interview by Rolling Stone Magazine - October 26, 2020
Date: October 31, 2020 00:03

Yep you got it FlyinDutchman .....
threes a crowd ..... Saw few of
dem recent show with Taylor

... good but the tension was way gone

ROCKMAN

Date: October 31, 2020 00:48

TheflyingDutchman
Hairball
To compare it to his guest spot in '81 misses the mark by a thousand miles - surely that can't be a serious statment. One Mick Taylor solo on Midnight Rambler or CYHMK or Sway on that recent tour was equal to ( or superior) to an entire setlist of Ronnie's ramblings imo.

What I meant to say is that the Rolling Stones as a three guitar band sounds messy, both in 1981 with Taylor and with Taylor in 2012. How much I love Taylor's work with the Stones between 1969 and 1973, to me his playing on the last tour was next to nothing. Actually the entire band. No testosterone anymore. And that's what a rockband requires: TESTOSTERONE.

'81 perhaps was messy, but certainly not the recent tour w/Taylor unless we're talking specifically about Ronnie whose always been messy in which case you have a point. Yet Keith thought enough of it all that he wanted to continue with it - or at least had a hope of it. And sure it can't compare to the glory days of the late '60's/early '70's, but nothing the Stones have done since then can compare to back then. But for the sake of compromise, maybe they could have and probably should have stuck Ronnie on bass while Taylor did his magic - every single solo Taylor played was awe-inspiring. Even non diehards were left breathless, my sister and brother-in-law and a few close friends being amongst them. Some of them even decided against attending the one and only SoCal show in San Diego in 2015 when it became clear there would be no Taylor - that's how big of an impact and impression he made. His playing was as good than as when I saw him during the Bluesbreakers reunion in '82, and certainly as good if not better when I saw him solo in 2003 at the 100 Club. Having seen six of those shows with Mick Taylor during that recent tour (w/Staples #2 being the best of the best), I can only say it was a letdown in 2015 when there was talk of him continuing on only to have hopes dashed - including Keith's hopes. Again, there's a handful of people who attempt to downplay his involvement on that recent tour for whatever reason, but the fact is that for the majority who were there it was very memorable and perhaps the highlights of all latter era Stones shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 00:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 31, 2020 01:46

Yeah.. gonna links to Keith stating his disappointment re 2015.

He was likely as relieved as the rest.. The guy just couldn't stay sober, and/or keep it together mentally, just like his first go around.

Enjoyed his guest spots very much, but like all the guests was a bit relieved when he was done so I could get back to enjoying The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2020 01:54

harlem shuffle
This clown Hairball has to be the dumbest person ever om these sites,stupid thimgs coming from that clown everyday.

It's great to see there's a new clown in town.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home