Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: New Rolling Stone interview with Keith Richards
Date: October 27, 2020 20:45

<. It seems Keith was not willing to talk about him.>

Taylor only played a minor part on Talk Is Cheap, and he is not on Live At The Hollywood Palladium. It would have been surprising if they talked about him in this interview, imo. Perhaps if the live version of I Could Have Stood You Up got a mention.

How you conclude that Keith wasn't willing to talk about Taylor is hard to understand.

Date: October 27, 2020 20:56

DandelionPowderman

Taylor only played a minor part on Talk Is Cheap, and he is not on Live At The Hollywood Palladium. It would have been surprising if they talked about him in this interview, imo. Perhaps if the live version of I Could Have Stood You Up got a mention.

How you conclude that Keith wasn't willing to talk about Taylor is hard to understand.

Well basically my main source of information as a fan is this board. And as far as I can remember, according to reputed posters in this forum, the last time Taylor played with the stones (that supreme Midnight Rambler..) that "collaboration" did not finish in the best manners/ways/terms. So I concluded that Keith might not feel comfortable talking about him. As if applying the proverb "better silence than badmouthing".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2020 22:56

For what it's worth, it was Keith who was hoping Taylor would join them for the following tour in 2015, but no doubt it was Mick who vetoed the idea unfortunately.
A shame as they were on a roll during that tour with Taylor, but you can see in many videos Mick shutting him down in the midst of a solo for whatever reason (I don't think Mick liked sharing the spotlight that much).
Anyhow, no big deal that Taylor wasn't mentioned in this new Keith interview as I'm sure Keith would have nothing but praise for him if the subject would have been brought up.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2020 23:06

but no doubt it was Mick who vetoed the idea unfortunately.

Yeah whats the proof of that ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: October 27, 2020 23:35

Hairball
For what it's worth, it was Keith who was hoping Taylor would join them for the following tour in 2015, but no doubt it was Mick who vetoed the idea unfortunately.
A shame as they were on a roll during that tour with Taylor, but you can see in many videos Mick shutting him down in the midst of a solo for whatever reason (I don't think Mick liked sharing the spotlight that much).
Anyhow, no big deal that Taylor wasn't mentioned in this new Keith interview as I'm sure Keith would have nothing but praise for him if the subject would have been brought up.

Where did you get that from? Most of the videos show some encouraging eye contact and interraction between Jagger and Taylor. No "shutting down" or something.

Date: October 27, 2020 23:37

emotionalbarbecue
DandelionPowderman

Well basically my main source of information as a fan is this board. And as far as I can remember, according to reputed posters in this forum, the last time Taylor played with the stones (that supreme Midnight Rambler..) that "collaboration" did not finish in the best manners/ways/terms. So I concluded that Keith might not feel comfortable talking about him. As if applying the proverb "better silence than badmouthing".

doubt this proverb applies to Keith at all tongue sticking out smiley

Date: October 27, 2020 23:37

Mariuana
Hairball

Where did you get that from? Most of the videos show some encouraging eye contact and interraction between Jagger and Taylor. No "shutting down" or something.

It's been discussed here many times based on several videos on youtube.

*edit: You might want to search the Mick Taylor thread to see for yourself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 23:41 by Hairball.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 27, 2020 23:43

emotionalbarbecue
The journalist knows Winos enough to know thay TAYLOR played in Talk is Cheap song.

So...

They agreed (or the journalist accepted) the omission/censorship of Taylor. No trace of him in the interview. It seems Keith was not willing to talk about him.

It would be interesting to know what happened the last time Taylor worked with the stones and why everything seemed to finish utterly unnoticed.

Well, I find it funny that the interviewer, when asking about Waddy Wachtel, proposes "ancient art of weaving" and Ronnie Wood and Brian Jones, and Keith totally evades the suggestion and starts to talk about Wachtel like he would do about Mick Taylor...

- Doxa

Date: October 27, 2020 23:58

Doesnt mean a thing
No prove that it was Mick who wanted him out ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 28, 2020 00:07

It was a nice read (nice to hear at all from the man in these hard times) and as usual Keiths vernacular gives one a lot of stuff between the lines to ponder on about. It's still bemusing how reading between the lines is just not satisfying to the obsessive fan type, always rushing to make up stuff that is supposed to be in there precisely because they did not talk about it at all? how meticously could it have been planned, really. Probably nothing more than a 5 minute phonecall with the interviewer being batshit nervous and Keith as the calming presence...

Date: October 28, 2020 00:43

Yep Nikkie ... ya got it about right ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 28, 2020 01:15

Rockman

Doesnt mean a thing
No prove that it was Mick who wanted him out ...

Oh.. it's been "discussed here many times" has it?
Well then... that changes everything spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Now waiting patiently for video proof. Lol

Date: October 28, 2020 01:23

stone4ever
I was thinking recently, is Keith still Keith or has he become just another old man hanging on with not much left to offer to the world outside his family.
This interview tells me Keiths still in there bubbling beneath the surface wearing that old man's disguise.
What a great read, it was like going back in time, certainly it was nice to take my mind off of the election, global reset, Brexit, covid and lockdowns for 5 minutes. Keith has a way of looking at things, he reminded me just now of a better life, a better world we used to live in but forget, it's amazing the importance of music in our lives and the void that's left without it. Keith spontaneously deflecting questions, the mastery of touching the above subjects without getting drawn in, I'm in awe of the agility of that 77 year old brain, in comparison to a Mr Biden I think I'd go with Keith for President at this stage, he could teach Trump a few lessons too.

There are no more heroes anymore, perhaps that's just growing up but I miss my heroes, damn it Keith always leaves you wanting more, I'd love to know who Keith really wrote You Don't Move Me About if not Mick.

thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 28, 2020 01:50

Lol.
To think this website is free. #priceless

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 28, 2020 02:42

Well stated, stone4ever

Date: October 28, 2020 03:13

Maybe new single late 2020/early 2021. New album fall 2021, then tour In early 2022

Date: October 28, 2020 18:34

Hairball
Mariuana
Hairball

It does not mean anything. There're lot of different videos, so what. Funny how people tend to blame Mick for whatever they read on "discussion threads".

Date: October 28, 2020 18:44

Mariuana
Hairball
Mariuana
Hairball

It does not mean anything. There're lot of different videos, so what. Funny how people tend to blame Mick for whatever they read on "discussion threads".

It's just an opinion, and whether it was Mick who vetoed his return or not can't be positive - I'd call it intuition. But I didn't intend to state that as a fact, and I should have added "in my mind" after "no doubt".
What is a fact is personally witnessing Mick shut down Taylor in person several times (I saw six shows that tour), and it's not something I just read on "discussion threads".
There's also videos of it happening from shows I wasn't at. So you disagree and/or don't believe it ever happened- no big deal, but no reason to continue arguing over it.

edit: The bottom line is, it's sad that Keith didn't get his wish to keep Taylor in the band in 2015 - he was quoted as saying that he (to paraphrase) "wanted to see how far the three guitar assault could go".
The highlights of every one of those reunion shows was when Taylor was on stage imo, and no doubt in my mind they could have taken it much further, but unfortunately we'll never find out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-28 19:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 28, 2020 19:04

"Do you feel like you’re still learning things about the blues?

'As long as it’s not dead, there’ll always be something to learn' about it. Sometimes it’s far too many people trying to play it, but at the same time, that is the human condition.'"

Whatcha mean by that, Keith?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-28 19:26 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 28, 2020 20:43

ryanpow
"Do you feel like you’re still learning things about the blues?

'As long as it’s not dead, there’ll always be something to learn' about it. Sometimes it’s far too many people trying to play it, but at the same time, that is the human condition.'"

Whatcha mean by that, Keith?

Maybe the average bar band playing something dumb and not real blues like Mercedes Blues because their Mercedes broke down?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 28, 2020 21:53

Nikkei
It was a nice read (nice to hear at all from the man in these hard times) and as usual Keiths vernacular gives one a lot of stuff between the lines to ponder on about. It's still bemusing how reading between the lines is just not satisfying to the obsessive fan type, always rushing to make up stuff that is supposed to be in there precisely because they did not talk about it at all? how meticously could it have been planned, really. Probably nothing more than a 5 minute phonecall with the interviewer being batshit nervous and Keith as the calming presence...

Spot on Nikkei, this BS about Taylor being left out of the conversation etc, it's just laughable, and as you say this was probably a 5 minute conversation over the phone, it just is what it is, why must it be dissected by the same old farts that don't have a clue about Keith's music and what makes him tick or what he means by what he says.

Date: October 28, 2020 22:31

Surely there's some way we can blame
Mick for Keith leaving Taylor out of the interview

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 28, 2020 22:52

Rockman

Give them time, this stuff isn't easy to conjure, what seemed like a nice interview from Keith will be unearthed into something far more sinister, just takes a little more scrutiny.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 28, 2020 22:54

stone4ever
Rockman

Give them time, this stuff isn't easy to conjure, what seemed like a nice interview from Keith will be unearthed into something far more sinister, just takes a little more scrutiny.

Nothing about Brian, either. Or Spanish Tony. Or that German model he chased for a while.

Date: October 28, 2020 22:58

wonderboy
stone4ever
Rockman

Nothing about Brian, either. Or Spanish Tony. Or that German model he chased for a while.

Or that he ground up his dad's ashes, cooked 'em down and mainlined them.

Date: October 28, 2020 23:38

This is an interesting one ..... Who can she be ??????

At the time seemed you had directed “You Don’t Move Me” at Mick.
What are the boundaries you have to respect to kind of keep the peace these days?

Oh, there are no boundaries. There’ll always be another screwup.
Don’t worry about it; it’s the Rolling Stones for Christ’s sake [laughs].
But many can roll with the punches.

And the weirdest thing is that when I wrote “You Don’t Move Me,”
actually it wasn’t about what everybody thinks it’s about. It just
became obvious, but it wasn’t about that. It just sort of went that way.

What was it about then?
I won’t mention her name. All right?

ROCKMAN

Date: October 29, 2020 00:22

I had the title and the first line, You made the wrong motion, drank the wrong potion, but apart from that, I couldn't come up with any ideas. I said to Steve (Jordan), I don't know what to write this @#$%& thing about. I'm stuck. And he said, When in doubt, write about Mick. So in a way, it's not totally about Mick. Just about friends who disappoint you sometimes. That's the truth of the matter on that one. It's kind of like All About You. Man, I must really enjoy singing put downs!

- Keith Richards, 1988

To me it was mixture of various feelings about various times and various people. It's not so pointed in actual fact.

- Keith Richards, 1988

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: October 29, 2020 01:36

Keith: And the weirdest thing is that when I wrote “You Don’t Move Me,” actually it wasn’t about what everybody thinks it’s about.
It just became obvious, but it wasn’t about that. It just sort of went that way.

Q: What was it about then?

Keith: I won’t mention her name. All right?

Must have been all about Brenda.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 29, 2020 06:20

There was a mention of "Stash" though, wasn't there? And probably Gram Parsons in there somewhere too.

jb

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: October 29, 2020 14:16

MonkeyMan2000
GS1978
MonkeyMan2000
Doesn‘t Keith seem extremely sharp for his age? I couldn‘t have come up with that Putin line if I were given an hour to think about the answer...

Keith's a very intelligent guy. His image and habits really distorted that for years. And the head injury didn't help.

But, yes, for his age and history, it's amazing that he is still so sharp and witty. I think that's due to his genes, a lifetime of reading and music, and a great support system (Patti/his family, Jane and yes -- Mick) who have encouraged him to take better care of himself. We are blessed to have Keith and the rest of the Stones still around in 2020.

I imagine frequent reading must be crucial for being able to respond in such a humorous and concise way, especially at his age.

If I‘m not confusing your user name completely....greetings to you and Matt. Hope you‘re staying healthy and well over there in the U.S.! (Sandro from Switzerland)

Yes Sandro, Matt and I are fine. Hope you are too. So glad we got to see the Stones so often over the past few years. I remember we talked about how every show is special and should be appreciated. Here are a few pictures I took from Paris 2017 and Edinburgh 2018 where Keith is clearing showing you and Matt how much he's enjoying your enthusiasm.

Really is tough not being able to enjoy live music. The connection to the band, the music and each other.

Here's clip from the last live music I saw. Matt and Rob's band playing in NYC. they were really starting to take-off -- packing clubs all over New York. Then we all got locked down..
[vimeo.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-31 14:28 by GS1978.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home