Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Keith Richards interview by Rolling Stone Magazine - October 26, 2020
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 26, 2020 16:04

Re: New Rolling Stone interview with Keith Richards
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 26, 2020 16:24

Good interview, but not much news on the new album. Seems the Stones were in Germano Studios in New York City in March and September of 2020. Keith says that he and Mick have been working together remotely and sending each other song ideas. I wonder if they're recording separately as well, or if the band was really all together in NYC just last month.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 26, 2020 17:47

This is a great interview.
Direct. Honest. Smart. Humorous.
And all of it only in the way he can do it.
It´s in the row of the best Keith-interviews of the last three decades.

Date: October 26, 2020 17:52

«I have thousands of songs».

Being prolific doesn't mean shit, Keith! grinning smiley

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 27, 2020 00:29

Can you paste it for those of us who don't subscribe?
Thx,
TeaAtThree

Date: October 27, 2020 00:54

There you go: Thanks to MisterDDDD for sharing too smileys with beer

October 26, 2020 8:30AM ET

Keith Richards on His New Box Set, the Next Stones LP and Who Really Inspired ‘You Don’t Move Me’
The guitarist also weighs in on the Black Lives Matter protests: “It’s about bloody time”

By Kory Grow

Keith Richards on His New Box Set, the next Stones LP and Who Really Inspired 'You Don't Move Me'

Keith Richards talks the new Rolling Stones album, his 'Live at the Hollywood Palladium' LP, Chuck Berry, Black Lives Matter and more.

It’s late September, and Keith Richards is back at work after a six-month pause. He boasts that his temperature clocked in at 97.8 degrees (“I’m chilling,” he says) when he arrived at Manhattan’s Germano Studios to resume work on the Rolling Stones’ next album. “I realized coming into the studio yesterday that I was in this room in very early March, and we were just doing what we were doing and the next day, shit hit the fan,” he says with a big laugh. “So yesterday I had that déjà vu feeling. At the moment, I’m just overjoyed to be working. There’s not a lot of work out there, you know?”

Earlier this year, the Stones rushed out “Living in a Ghost Town,” a moody, soulful rocker about surviving in lockdown. They had already recorded it for the album, but Richards says they put it out early because “it just felt so damn appropriate.” Richards lives in the U.S. while Mick Jagger stayed in Europe, so the pair have been writing songs remotely, sending each other ideas for songs. “We’re communicating from across the Atlantic and then waiting for a vaccine,” the guitarist says, then he jokes, “I have thousands of songs. I got enough to keep me busy.”

Another project that has occupied Richards’ time recently is a box-set reissue of Live at the Hollywood Palladium. He cut the concert recording with his backing band, the X-Pensive Winos, toward the end of a short tour in 1988, following the release of his solo debut, Talk Is Cheap. At the time, the Stones seemed on the verge of a breakup. They had released a studio album, Dirty Work, in 1986, but did not tour in support of it; Jagger instead went back into the studio and recorded his second solo album, Primitive Cool, and hit the road himself, prompting a war of words in the press between him and Richards, who wanted the Stones to tour.

The guitarist then linked up with drummer Steve Jordan for Talk Is Cheap, which contained two mainstream rock radio hits, the upbeat “Take It So Hard” and “You Don’t Move Me,” a moody farewell that seemed to be directed a Jagger. When Richards took the Winos on the road, they played every song from that record, as well as selections from the Stones’ catalogue that Richards had sung. Highlights from Live at the Hollywood Palladium included Talk Is Cheap’s “Take It So Hard” and “Locked Away,” as well as Dirty Work’s reggae number “Too Rude,” an extended jam on Richards’ signature tune “Happy,” and a rendition of “Time Is On My Side” sung by Sarah Dash, formerly of Patti Labelle’s group the Bluebelles. The reissue adds three tracks that weren’t on the original Hollywood Palladium release, including “You Don’t Move Me” and two Stones numbers — a hard-rocking rendition of “Little T&A,” off Tattoo You, and their Lennon and McCartney–penned second single, 1963’s “I Wanna Be Your Man,” which the Winos performed as a sing-along.

When Richards thinks back on that concert and that time in his life now, he feels pride. “The Winos have a special place in the heart of the old Keith,” he says. “At the time, I had no idea that album was actually recorded. I was so glad that suddenly, ‘Hey, we had that one.’ There’s a great band on it.”

You’re working on Stones music and soon you’ll be meeting up with the Winos’ Steve Jordan as well. How are you challenging yourself musically these days?

I gave up challenging myself. I mean, let’s face it. This is a funny year, man. They haven’t made one like it before. So this is all improvisation and just figuring out.

What’s been the hardest part of quarantining?

There are no crowds, it’s a damn hassle for a band. But hey, it’s young bands that are cut off from doing their gigs, the bam, bam, bam. It’s a hard pull, this one. Somehow, we got to get around it, because what we do is play music to people. And so in that case you need people. There’s rather a lack of them at the moment. So we’re trying to deal with it like anybody else, man, you know?

You might not be able to play concerts now, but you can at least appreciate some of the gigs you played in the past, like the one on the Hollywood Palladium album. What strikes you when you think about that time in your life now?

What happened to Mick and I, at just about the same time, is somehow you kind of felt trapped with being just in the Rolling Stones. I mean, just joking, but what an extravagance. But at the same time, [we] were like that, and this period was for me, [it was great] to work with another bunch of guys totally differently. It was like, “Hey, this reminds me of 15 years ago.” And I never expected to be able to pull such a lineup of musicians together.

What was it about Steve Jordan and you that clicked?

At that time in the Eighties, Charlie Watts had said to me, “It looks like there’s going to be a bit of a break coming up [for the Stones]. And if you’re going to work with anybody else, Steve Jordan’s your man.” So first off, the Winos are already created by Charlie Watts, in a weird way. What I didn’t realize when Steve and I did get together was that we could also blossoming into songwriting and much more areas than I expected. So I was just taking one drummer’s advice about another drummer at the time. But once Steve and I started working, we realized that we had a lot more room to maneuver. And that we could stand each other.

On Live at the Hollywood Palladium, you joke that you’ve been thrown off the Palladium stage before. Chuck Berry tossed you off it in 1972, though he later claimed he didn’t recognize you. Is that what you were referencing?

Yes, yes, yes. I’ve almost thrown Chuck off, too [laughs]. But Chuck and I had a real relationship. We ended up loving each other, but we had to show that we really didn’t like each other, because … I don’t know why. I was so proud to work with that man. And to be able to give him a good band [for the Hail! Hail! Rock ‘n’ Roll concert film] was just a labor of love. You just love this stuff, and you love what other guys who’ve given to you, and you’re just really happy that you can pass it on.

You once said that Chuck had no gauge on his worth or his impact. How do you understand your worth and impact on music?

I don’t. I’m only aware of it because people tell me. I understand Chuck’s thing. Chuck has no pretensions about it. He’d just go, “Up in the mornin’ and out to school.” [Sings riff.] “Johnny B. Goode.” [Sings riff.] Man, he was putting out stuff, but he didn’t have these pretensions about it being culturally important or anything. He was just writing about shit that was going on that day, and he just happened to do it incredibly brilliantly, without knowing. “Memphis, Tennessee” is one of the most beautiful bits of poetry I’ve heard. To Chuck, it was just knocking out another ditty. But the guy that’s doing it doesn’t have to know how fantastic it is.

Well, it’s too bad he didn’t appreciate it.
I think towards the end of his life, he started to realize how important his work had been, and that’s a beautiful thing. But he had no pretensions about it. Chuck Berry’s up there without a doubt. Nobody could write them like that, man. I mean, you want rock & roll? There it is with a band. He had the perfect band, the perfect studio. They rock. And you know, I can say no more; I’m out of superlatives.

One of the songs you played at the Palladium, “Big Enough,” has a cool James Brown groove. You saw him live many times, at the Apollo and on The T.A.M.I. Show. What did you learn from watching him?

James for us, especially for Mick, was a real attraction. That’s because Mick is the frontman, and he’s got to stand on a tiny little stage, and he wants to move. To hear James Brown and to see how he dealt with that was great, because James didn’t use a lot of the stage; he used a little small spot, and Mick learnt that he was an expert at it. I’ve always said to Mick, “You run around too much. You should stay in that little circle because you can move there.” It’s a unique thing. James Brown also had an extremely hip band. It was very tight. We’re playing Chicago blues, which is sort of a different groove, but there it is: you have Mick and James Brown automatically seemed to be made out of the same mold really.

You have always been a huge champion for black musicians and black artists.
They’re the reason I’m here.

What do you make of the Black Lives Matter protests around the world this year?

It’s about bloody time. I mean, in this country [the U.S.], things are coming to a head. That’s the way it is. You got to deal with it. It’s difficult for me to talk about it, because I am not an American. I live here, I am in heart and soul, I am one of you, but I can’t interfere. I’m like Putin, I refuse to interfere in your electoral process.

You once said the Winos felt like the Stones in the early days, “because nobody has any respect for anybody, except for when they do well.” What did you mean by that?

[Laughs]. I’ll stand by it. Nobody was picking bones about each other; everybody was just trying to make the whole band better. But I guess what I was trying to say is, in the bands I’ve been in, the individual is the least consideration; it’s the sum of the parts that count. It’s how some guys know that they’re adding to something and not trying to sort of pull themselves out. I don’t know if it’s an ego thing, but some of the great bands are great bands because that problem has been resolved.

Waddy Wachtel, the Winos’ guitarist, plays brilliantly on this recording. Do you feel he’s able to weave guitars the way that you talk about doing with Brian Jones and with Ronnie Wood?

Oh, Mr. Wachtel? Yes, man, he was my absolute choice. He was the other guy I’d always wanted to work with, ever since I heard him play. And the Winos was a great excuse for me to work him. I love his sense of melodies, the way he can pick up on a song. And I love everything about the @#$%& [laughs]. He’s an amazing musician, a great heart. If you’re two guitar players in the band, you better get along, right?

He played a great solo on “Happy.”

It’s fantastic, man. That’s why I wanted to work with him. I just feel very privileged myself to be in the Winos with that guy. It’s higher level, man. That’s the hidden tower of power back there. And [bassist] Charlie Drayton, are you kidding me? I’m talking chaos. [Saxophonist] Bobby Keys thrown in, as you know, I’m blessed, I was blessed with some of the most enthusiastic and open musicians to play with ever. And I’m still recovering.

And you had Sarah Dash, too, who sang “Make No Mistake” with you and “Time Is on My Side.”
Sarah, how did I forget? She’s the most beautiful lady in the world that I’ve known for, I don’t know how long — the early Sixties when she was with Patti LaBelle and the Bluebells? It was such a pleasure to work back with Sarah and always. One love, Sarah.

At the Palladium, you performed “Connection,” which was one of the first Stones songs you sang on. You sang in a choir as a kid, but was it hard finding your rock voice?

It came basically by writing songs with the Stones and with Mick. I’d say, “It goes like this,” and then Mick would take it over, but sometimes he came and Mick would say to me, “Hey, you take this one” or, “Oh, sing harmonies.” So I basically started doing the harmonies with Mick on, I don’t know, maybe the first one was “The Last Time” and “Tell Me,” which I thought was terrible, but other people love it. Also, because I write the songs and the music, I have to sing the songs to Mick in the first place, so he’d know what to do.

So singing was an actual natural thing to me, learning guitar was work [laughs]. But no, music’s music. There’s singing and playing an instrument, there’s very little difference in it. One, you use a voice, others, you use your fingers or whatever else is necessary to play the damn thing.

And the first song you sang by yourself in the Stones was “You Got The Silver.”

Yeah. None of those things happened by accident. We did it and Mick tried it, and at the end they said, “Oh, you do this one.” There was no hassle or anything. It was just like subdividing the labor.

When Talk Is Cheap came out, you said you had a new respect for what Mick does onstage. What did the whole experience teach you about being a frontman?

Suddenly, you’re the frontman, and suddenly you’re realizing the pressure that you can feel by just being that one in the front there. I absolutely understood what Mick, or any frontman, can go through. In the Stones, I could push forward or sit back; you have that option being the guitar player. With the Winos, I realized that the frontman has no option, and you just got to do it, even if your voice is gone. So I realized then, the pressures that are on a frontman, and I’ve never forgotten.

What were the biggest lessons that from working with Mick all those years into Talk Is Cheap?

A sense of relief, actually [laughs]. No, it was just different. The whole thing of being the Stones, how fantastic is it to be in the Stones and to have this thing going, but it’s also a monster. And I think around this time that I did this, and Mick did his … whatever he did, we just felt the need to sort of just work outside of the factory for a while. Then we’d come back and then it would help the Stones, and it did. By Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge, it all sort of worked out. But I guess we just needed to blow it off, man.

At the time seemed you had directed “You Don’t Move Me” at Mick. What are the boundaries you have to respect to kind of keep the peace these days?

Oh, there are no boundaries. There’ll always be another screwup. Don’t worry about it; it’s the Rolling Stones for Christ’s sake [laughs]. But many can roll with the punches.

And the weirdest thing is that when I wrote “You Don’t Move Me,” actually it wasn’t about what everybody thinks it’s about. It just became obvious, but it wasn’t about that. It just sort of went that way.

What was it about then?
I won’t mention her name. All right?

In 1977, while you were awaiting trial for your Toronto drug bust, you recorded a number of solo songs that were heavily bootlegged. You performed some of them with Ron Wood’s band, the New Barbarians, but would you ever want to release those recordings officially since they’re quite legendary?

Sometimes I just love them for being bootlegs. I loved doing that stuff and I don’t even know how that shit escaped, but at the same time I didn’t mind it. And then when I found out other people liked it, I learned, hey, we should bootleg me some more. But whether I’d put it out, I think a bootleg isn’t a bootleg if you put it out. But that is still an idea. I’ll kick that one around.

Around that time, the United States government helped you out and let you come down here to kick your heroin addiction.

Absolutely. Hey, I have a great respect for this country. They really came through for me and let me get my act together. They were wonderful. I ain’t going to charge them.

America’s opioid epidemic has been in the news here lately. What do you feel people here should know about that? What should the country be doing?

Well, opioids are not opiates; that’s a pill problem. You have a problem with pharmaceutical companies, not with drugs. Everybody knows you can go across to Canada and pick up the same thing for five bucks and here, you’re paying hundreds. You can figure it out, right?

Generally speaking, what rules do you live by?

As few as possible, my boy.

What rules do you live by when you’re writing songs?

When you’re writing songs, there are no @#$%& rules. In fact, you’re looking to break them. You’re looking to sort of find the next missing chord. You’re looking to find the next best way to express things. Writing songs is not about the lyrics one side and music on another. It’s about the two coming together. And you can be a great poet and you might write some lovely music, but the art and the beauty of writing songs is to pull those two together, where they seem to love each other, and that’s writing songs.

Do you think much about hooks and bridges?

Only when they get in the way.

What makes a great riff?

It should be spontaneous and absolutely the guy that’s actually doing it [shouldn’t] know where it comes from. It just appears at your fingertips and is coming out of the instrument. And that is a great riff, totally unthought about, unstructured, no rules, no nothing. It’s just, one minute it ain’t there, and the next minute, there it is. [Sings “Satisfaction” riff.]

Didn’t you literally dream that one?
Yes. That’s what I mean. It’s better than sleep. Riffs are not supposed to be thought about; they’re just supposed to be felt and delivered.

And you dreamt the riff to “Make No Mistake,” too.
Man, all of it probably [laughs]. No, actually I did work quite hard on that, but there was a lovely chord sequence there that just fascinated me, and I still love it. Musicologists still can’t figure out what it is. Some asked me, what’s this chord I play in the middle there? I mean, I don’t know. Yeah, it was the closest I got to the “lost chord.” I mean, so far.

You’ve said in the past you had trouble figuring out a Scotty Moore lick in Elvis’ “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone.”

Yeah. There are a few floating about, and we’re looking for them.

Is there much new rock & roll that’s moving you lately?

There is no new rock & roll [laughs]. It’s pointless. There’s great musicians and some great singers and stuff. Unfortunately, to me, in music, it’s been synthesized to death. Once you start synthesizing things, you’re not getting the real thing. But I don’t want to go into a long discourse on what’s wrong with synthesizers and music these days, except to say they’re cheap and corny [laughs].

You once said, “To me, it’s important to prove that [rock music] isn’t just teenage kids’ shit and you should feel embarrassed when you’re over 40 and still doing it.” You said you wanted to advance the music and move things forward. Do you feel you’ve done that?
Well, I don’t know. Bobby Keys, my great old friend, called it “grown men’s music” because rock & roll was only considered new because everything has to have a sort of a genesis, so to speak. And I suppose rock & roll, in the general scope of things, you put it say [it caught on in] ’55, ’56, and the whole lot of it was just novelty stuff, and a lot of musicians for quite a few years thought that it’s another novelty. It was just like the cha-cha-cha or the twist. Now we know different.

It’s sort of different with like something the blues. With the blues, as an artist gets older, they get more appreciation.
You are an astute man. The blues is what it’s all about and what it’s all embedded on. All popular music, ever since they’ve been able to record it, is based on the blues. You go from ragtime, jazz, it’s all based on the blues. It doesn’t mean that you got to understand every country blues, Blind Lemon Jefferson song, but the order of them is all based on that. And then it progresses from that, which is a wonderful thing.

I mean, you want to know what black people have done for the world, man? Just listen to the music. It’s an expression, and it touches everybody. It touches whites and yellows and little hairy things, I don’t know, but that’s what it’s about. It’s about touching people and recording has made that possible. And throughout the history of this music, recorded music, the influence of the blues is just massive. It just takes different shades. In the swing music in the Thirties and Forties, Louis Armstrong, I mean, do I have to ramble on? No.

Do you feel like you’re still learning things about the blues?

As long as it’s not dead, there’ll always be something to learn about it. Sometimes it’s far too many people trying to play it, but at the same time, that is the human condition.

A few years ago, in a documentary about you, titled Under the Influence, Steve Jordan said you were considering retirement before you made your Crosseyed Heart solo album. Obviously, that didn’t take. What are your thoughts on that now?

Well, the other thing about show business is you sometimes hint at doing something that you have no intention of doing, right? It’s part of the flimflam, man. But it’s quite possible that I did say to Steve, “Jesus Christ, man, that was a terrible night, I’m going to stuff it.” Sometimes, you say things like that. I’m not saying it ain’t true or anything. But there’s a difference between saying something and meaning it.

In the late Eighties, you said, “It’s not that easy to be Keith Richards, but it’s also not so hard either. The main thing is to know yourself.” How do you know yourself?

There’s a few bits missing since the Eighties [laughs]. Less parts to know, but listen man, we’re all stuck here trying to figure out what life is. I guess what I was trying to say then is, when you’ve quite inadvertently been in the public eye since you were 19, it’s difficult sometimes for people to correlate it with who they actually are. And I found it incredibly helpful to know who the @#$%& I am [laughs]. I’m not worried about the other bloke, and the outside stuff. You can’t just, flimflam your way through this, man. This year, I’m turning 77 for Christ sake. I know it, I don’t give a shit. I’m very proud of it. And I’m still trying to know myself a bit better. And, but things change as you know, as you go on. Nothing’s static.

Do you remember when you got that kind of confidence?

You got to find out for yourself. Everybody’s different. And I have no idea. I know that as people, we could do a lot better and I would like to promote that. But it’s all, it’s up to us collectively. Everybody has to do a little better, whatever it is. That’s my sermon for the day

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2020 00:57

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 27, 2020 00:59

It's no longer funny...it's bigger than money.

Date: October 27, 2020 01:00

Rockman

cool smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 27, 2020 08:46

Interesting to note that he’s not a U.S. citizen. I’d have thought he’d have acquired it and become a ‘dual-national’, just like so many of his U.S.-based British contemporaries: Ozzy, Peter Frampton, etc.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 27, 2020 12:32

jahisnotdead
Good interview, but not much news on the new album. Seems the Stones were in Germano Studios in New York City in March and September of 2020. Keith says that he and Mick have been working together remotely and sending each other song ideas. I wonder if they're recording separately as well, or if the band was really all together in NYC just last month.

I think the way they put it was a bit vague. To me it seems like the sessions both in March and September have been just Keith visiting Germano Studios doing his contribution to the new Rolling Stones music/album. The 'we' he talks about probably means Don Was, Steve Jordan, etc. It could be though that in (early) March there'd been the rest as well, at least Mick. So, if we are to be ultrarealistic, Keith hasn't done anything concrete for the album since March, except writing those "thousands songs" at home and exchanging ideas with Mick. Probably Mick the same (the difference seems to be that Mick has a studio at home/or wherever he is, Keith not). I suppose the reality behind "sending each other song ideas" is more like that Mick sends some of his demos to Keith and Keith wonders what to think or do with them. Probably what Keith was now up to in September was to put some of his song ideas in the can (if he hasn't build up a new home studio since getting rid of the old one years ago or had a sudden technological enlightenment).

This might not sound very promising for the new album, but what else could we expect from senior citizens living in different countries and continents in the middle of this pandemia? Like Keith said, they are basically "waiting for a vaccine". We might not expect them - the whole band, that is - to hit a studio together very soon. Well, Rome wasn't build up in a day, either....

Another scenario is the one Keith hinted them discussing some time ago - they forget the idea of an album and be content with the stuff they already have in the can, and release it in some way or other. However, now there was no hint any longer of that (not that the new album is discussed that much either). But the positive signal the interview has is that Keith sounds to be in good spirits and into song-writing."Three dynamite riffs" has transformed into "thousands of songs". Who knows if he has discovered some sort of inspiration during the lock-out and we will be treated some day with good results...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 12:36 by Doxa.

Date: October 27, 2020 12:40

Didn't Charlie say that his parts were done?

Date: October 27, 2020 13:03

A funny thing in that interview is that it was done to promote a new product (the Winos live package). That was the reason Keith to do the interview and also the excuse for ROLLING STONE to interview Keith Richards. However, as it typical is with whatever new Stones products, especially in regard to solo projects, the actual subject doesn't interest anyone that much... the interviewer is more interested in good old big issues like Mick and Keith relationship/drama or Keith's philosophy of life (thank god, the drug issue wasn't taken any further) than some Winos recording, and Keith, as a total pro, plays along... In that sense, Keith's always been much easier to interview than, say, Mick or Charlie...

And as always, Keith comes up with catchy one-liners and fresh new ways to put old insights. This time my favourite one and a true novelty is "I’m like Putin, I refuse to interfere in your electoral process". That was a bad one, Keith...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: October 27, 2020 13:08

DandelionPowderman

For which album?grinning smiley Charlie doesn't always seem to be very informed always where they are going....

But if Mick and Keith are writing new material, I think Charlie cannot retire just yet... (Mick also said a while ago that they need to do some more band sessions still).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 13:09 by Doxa.

Date: October 27, 2020 13:09

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

For which album?grinning smiley Charlie doesn't always seem to be very informed always where they are going....

But if Mick and Keith are writing new material, I think Charlie cannot retire just yet... (Mick also said a while ago that they need to do some band sessions still).

- Doxa

Haha! grinning smiley

Date: October 27, 2020 13:11

<"I’m like Putin, I refuse to interfere in your electoral process". That was a bad one, Keith... grinning smiley >

A double entendre there. Very clever! winking smiley

Date: October 27, 2020 13:21

DandelionPowderman
<"I’m like Putin, I refuse to interfere in your electoral process". That was a bad one, Keith... grinning smiley >

A double entendre there. Very clever! winking smiley

Indeed!

- Doxa

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:05

Doesn‘t Keith seem extremely sharp for his age? I couldn‘t have come up with that Putin line if I were given an hour to think about the answer...

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:15

MonkeyMan2000
Doesn‘t Keith seem extremely sharp for his age? I couldn‘t have come up with that Putin line if I were given an hour to think about the answer...

Keith's a very intelligent guy. His image and habits really distorted that for years. And the head injury didn't help.

But, yes, for his age and history, it's amazing that he is still so sharp and witty. I think that's due to his genes, a lifetime of reading and music, and a great support system (Patti/his family, Jane and yes -- Mick) who have encouraged him to take better care of himself. We are bless to have Keith and the rest of the Stones still around in 2020.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:20

A bit interesting that he didn't bring up Ivan Neville when talking about the members of the Winos. I think he was the only significant one he missed. Glad that the interviewer brought up Sarah Dash. She was great. Nice lady, too.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 27, 2020 14:30

Loved this new interview from Keith.

Thanks so much for posting on here, and it's really great to hear from any of The Stones in these troubled times.

Cheers us all up a bit. smileys with beer

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 27, 2020 15:52

GS1978
MonkeyMan2000

Keith's a very intelligent guy. His image and habits really distorted that for years. And the head injury didn't help.

But, yes, for his age and history, it's amazing that he is still so sharp and witty. I think that's due to his genes, a lifetime of reading and music, and a great support system (Patti/his family, Jane and yes -- Mick) who have encouraged him to take better care of himself. We are bless to have Keith and the rest of the Stones still around in 2020.

I imagine frequent reading must be crucial for being able to respond in such a humorous and concise way, especially at his age.

If I‘m not confusing your user name completely....greetings to you and Matt. Hope you‘re staying healthy and well over there in the U.S.! (Sandro from Switzerland)

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: October 27, 2020 16:23

Big Al
Interesting to note that he’s not a U.S. citizen. I’d have thought he’d have acquired it and become a ‘dual-national’, just like so many of his U.S.-based British contemporaries: Ozzy, Peter Frampton, etc.

He didn’t say that specifically did he? I would imagine he does have dual citizenship.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 27, 2020 16:40

joshbg2k
Big Al

He didn’t say that specifically did he? I would imagine he does have dual citizenship.

I was actually going to add such a point as an afterthought: through work, for example, I meet British nationals who were born and brought-up overseas. Many of these people, despite their British citizenship, still solely consider themselves to be from the country of their birth. Then again: with his Putin quip, is Keith not somehow eluding to an ineligibility to vote? I do meet Brits who've resided in the U.S.A. for decades without naturalising.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 27, 2020 18:28

Good interview. Keith has perfected this art of promoting the 'Keith Richards' character and sometimes giving us glimpses of his real self.
I loved his answer about bootlegs.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2020 19:06

It would be easier for Keith to record a solo album without all the drama, delays, logistics, hitting walls, communicating virtually, etc., etc., etc. of working with Mick and the rest during these crazy times.
Might take a few more years for him to finish, but no doubt would be quicker than a new Stones album, and it's good to hear he has a jump start with a thousand new songs to work with (lol).
Meanwhile if we're lucky, the Stones will release another new single as any hope of a tour seems to get more and more unrealistic as the days, weeks, and months go by.
Living in a Ghost Town was such a fine latter day original tune - their best in many years imo - and I for one would be thrilled if they released another tune in the same league.
With the success and positive reception to Ghost Town, you'd think a new single would be a given (Keith had mentioned the possibility), but maybe they don't have anything else completed after all these years.
Even when there was no pandemic they couldn't get a new album together, so it must be even harder now which brings it back to Keith and the hope of him working on another solo album.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 27, 2020 19:41

I was thinking recently, is Keith still Keith or has he become just another old man hanging on with not much left to offer to the world outside his family.
This interview tells me Keiths still in there bubbling beneath the surface wearing that old man's disguise.
What a great read, it was like going back in time, certainly it was nice to take my mind off of the election, global reset, Brexit, covid and lockdowns for 5 minutes. Keith has a way of looking at things, he reminded me just now of a better life, a better world we used to live in but forget, it's amazing the importance of music in our lives and the void that's left without it. Keith spontaneously deflecting questions, the mastery of touching the above subjects without getting drawn in, I'm in awe of the agility of that 77 year old brain, in comparison to a Mr Biden I think I'd go with Keith for President at this stage, he could teach Trump a few lessons too.

There are no more heroes anymore, perhaps that's just growing up but I miss my heroes, damn it Keith always leaves you wanting more, I'd love to know who Keith really wrote You Don't Move Me About if not Mick.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 27, 2020 20:07

Almost hope they never release a new album (more singles, fine by me) just to see the chronic complainers and Mick haters cry more smoking smiley

Almost winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 27, 2020 20:08

stone4ever
I was thinking recently, is Keith still Keith or has he become just another old man hanging on with not much left to offer to the world outside his family.
This interview tells me Keiths still in there bubbling beneath the surface wearing that old man's disguise.
What a great read, it was like going back in time, certainly it was nice to take my mind off of the election, global reset, Brexit, covid and lockdowns for 5 minutes. Keith has a way of looking at things, he reminded me just now of a better life, a better world we used to live in but forget, it's amazing the importance of music in our lives and the void that's left without it. Keith spontaneously deflecting questions, the mastery of touching the above subjects without getting drawn in, I'm in awe of the agility of that 77 year old brain, in comparison to a Mr Biden I think I'd go with Keith for President at this stage, he could teach Trump a few lessons too.

There are no more heroes anymore, perhaps that's just growing up but I miss my heroes, damn it Keith always leaves you wanting more, I'd love to know who Keith really wrote You Don't Move Me About if not Mick.

FOH with this ageist, political, BS.

Date: October 27, 2020 20:31

The journalist knows Winos enough to know thay TAYLOR played in Talk is Cheap song.

So...

They agreed (or the journalist accepted) the omission/censorship of Taylor. No trace of him in the interview. It seems Keith was not willing to talk about him.

It would be interesting to know what happened the last time Taylor worked with the stones and why everything seemed to finish utterly unnoticed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 20:32 by emotionalbarbecue.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1028
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home