Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No Expectations Slide
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2020 19:45

georgie48
Hairball
"That’s Brian playing. We were sitting around in a circle on the floor, singing and playing, recording with open mikes.
That was the last time I remember Brian really being totally involved in something that was really worth doing. He was there with everyone else.
It’s funny how you remember – but that was the last moment I remember him doing that, because he had just lost interest in everything".

- Mick, 1995

Have you seen the documentory recording of Brian leaving the studio in his impressive hippie coat with his sitar? I always link that image to his last serious and subtle beautiful contribution to No Expectations .... heartbreaking.

I've probably seen it georgie - as a lifelong dedicated fan of the band I'd like to think I've seen just about all that's publicly available.The entire last year of Brian's life seems to be heartbreaking...a sad ending...
His slide on No Expectations is much more complex than just a few notes especially given the context of when it was recorded....

I remember seeing it played live at Vredenburg, and despite Ronnie's brash attempt at the delicate solo, it was still nice to see...thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 1, 2020 20:30

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
"That’s Brian playing. We were sitting around in a circle on the floor, singing and playing, recording with open mikes.
That was the last time I remember Brian really being totally involved in something that was really worth doing. He was there with everyone else.
It’s funny how you remember – but that was the last moment I remember him doing that, because he had just lost interest in everything".

- Mick, 1995

Have you seen the documentory recording of Brian leaving the studio in his impressive hippie coat with his sitar? I always link that image to his last serious and subtle beautiful contribution to No Expectations .... heartbreaking.

I've probably seen it georgie - as a lifelong dedicated fan of the band I'd like to think I've seen just about all that's publicly available.The entire last year of Brian's life seems to be heartbreaking...a sad ending...
His slide on No Expectations is much more complex than just a few notes especially given the context of when it was recorded....

I remember seeing it played live at Vredenburg, and despite Ronnie's brash attempt at the delicate solo, it was still nice to see...thumbs up

Absolutely Hairball. As you said, much more complex than those few notes. Mick's 1995 quote says it all. I'm sure that any time he listens to it he feels the emotion attached to the song.
Publically, especially Keith, they tend to be somewhat tough on Brian, but deep inside they are hurt too by what happened in those dramatic years. I know Keith has a small heart (directly translated from Dutch, but you know what I mean), but, like many men, finds it hard to cope with it, so he often comes over as the tough guy winking smiley
Vredenburg ..... a real shame we didn't know eachother at that time. Believe it or not, but I was invited to come to the Amstel Hotel (50 kilometers from Utrecht) after the concert, but (can you believe that ...) I was responsible for three women (including wife and daughter) to get them home safely. So I declined confused smiley
But the simple fact that I (my wife and a lady who worked with me on articles about the Stones) were guests in Vredenburg, made that concert one of the unique ones on my "list".

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 2, 2020 22:49

I think I hear also a G# (?) over the E chord

he slides up to the 4th fret of the 4th string, then the B 3rd fret, 3rd string

C

Date: November 2, 2020 23:51

liddas

C

The G# is part of a E major chord/tuning . You cannot miss it thumbs up

Date: November 2, 2020 23:52

TheflyingDutchman
liddas

C

That's what makes it major smiling smiley

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: November 3, 2020 00:10

schillid
Here's Mick Taylor at NYC's Iridium in early 2012 having a go at "No Expectations" with his slide... (Sorry for the crummy 2012 phone audio and video.) ...
Suggest skip ahead to around 3:40

[www.youtube.com]

I was at this show. Great experience.

Here's a better quality version.[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 3, 2020 00:12

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
liddas

C

That's what makes it major smiling smiley

Yes Sir. cool smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 3, 2020 10:27

It's players like MT who can play Bluesy slide in standard tuning who really amaze me . That requires a different level of aptitude altogether.

In the common open tunings you don't need to be quite so skilled in the damping of unwanted notes and overtones.

Date: November 3, 2020 12:54

GS1978
schillid
Here's Mick Taylor at NYC's Iridium in early 2012 having a go at "No Expectations" with his slide... (Sorry for the crummy 2012 phone audio and video.) ...

[www.youtube.com]

Beggars Banquet was Taylor's favourite Stones album. Good taste.

Date: November 3, 2020 13:09

TheflyingDutchman
GS1978
schillid

[www.youtube.com]

Beggars Banquet was Taylor's favourite Stones album. Good taste.

I agree with him thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home