Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No Expectations Slide
Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 25, 2020 03:09

Does anyone have a tab for the slide guitar on No Expectations? Been trying to learn it by ear and look for a tab online, but nothin. Thanks in advance smiling smiley

Re: No Expectations Slide
Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 25, 2020 03:45

It’s pretty much tuning your guitar to open E and hitting the right notes on the 5th, 10th and 12th frets, which are E, D and A chords.

Some weeks ago I uploaded to youtube a video showing how to play it, maybe it will be helpful to you. If not, there’re lots of web pages with tabs, just a quick google search.

Here it is: No Expectations

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 25, 2020 05:17

Its has to be the easiest slide part of all time. You dont need tab. Come on.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 25, 2020 07:05

eduardoacdc
It’s pretty much tuning your guitar to open E and hitting the right notes on the 5th, 10th and 12th frets, which are E, D and A chords.

Some weeks ago I uploaded to youtube a video showing how to play it, maybe it will be helpful to you. If not, there’re lots of web pages with tabs, just a quick google search.

Thank you so so much! Love the channel!!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 25, 2020 07:32

Cooltoplady

Can you upload your version to YouTube, thanks.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 25, 2020 09:45

video: [www.youtube.com]
No Expectations & Prodigal Son - Kantaro Uchida

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: October 25, 2020 09:50

Don't forget "His Majesty"!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: October 25, 2020 10:03

Here's another video:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: October 25, 2020 10:24

Yep fun & easy to play ( figuring it out was probably the hard part , I guess Mr.Jones did that back in the days ) -Anyway tune your guitar to open E and start on fret 3 and slide to fret 5 - repeat 3 times , then go from fret 10 to 12 3 times & then go from 8 to 10 then again repeat 3 times & that`s it !winking smiley Enjoy !: video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-28 16:20 by ComeOn.

Date: October 25, 2020 12:58

I cannot help you with the slide part, but the song always had a huge impact on me. Sheer beauty, the lyrics included. A masterpiece.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2020 14:23

Tune to Open E and slide up to each chord.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 25, 2020 15:07

CJFP
eduardoacdc

Thank you so so much! Love the channel!!

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Date: October 25, 2020 19:24

Paddy
Cooltoplady

I wouldnt waste my time. Sorry. just take it upon yourself to figure it out. Your being lazy. Any kid can play this. Maybe you should start with Mel Bay book 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 20:03 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 25, 2020 20:09

Cooltoplady
Paddy
Cooltoplady

I wouldnt waste my time. Sorry. just take it upon yourself to figure it out. Your being lazy. Any kid can play this. Maybe you should start with Mel Bay book 1

I can play it, the OP couldn’t, he asked a fair question. He didn’t need a BS answer....

Date: October 25, 2020 20:48

Cooltoplady

I wouldnt waste my time. Sorry. just take it upon yourself to figure it out. Your being lazy. Any kid can play this.

No, everybody has his own potential, please respect that. And not any kid can invent it. That's even more important to me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 25, 2020 21:53

Don't let the simplicity fool you...it's some of the most intense slide guitar playing ever recorded by anyone.
The emotions evoked in the context of the tune can bring a tear to they eye - mission accomplished.
Overall, it's one of their best tunes ever imo - the vocals, lyrics, guitars, and piano all add up to perfection.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 26, 2020 02:16

Hairball
Don't let the simplicity fool you...it's some of the most intense slide guitar playing ever recorded by anyone.
The emotions evoked in the context of the tune can bring a tear to they eye - mission accomplished.
Overall, it's one of their best tunes ever imo - the vocals, lyrics, guitars, and piano all add up to perfection.

Most intense slide playing by anyone? Thats the funniest thing I ever read!

Date: October 26, 2020 02:20

More Hot Rocks
Hairball

Apologies for your confusion - I said "some of the most intense" by anyone, not the absolute all time intense by anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-26 02:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 26, 2020 02:27

Come on , y'all , no need for personal attacks.

Yeah, I cheat by looking at Youtube to find out how to play things, too.

Date: October 26, 2020 02:43

Hairball
More Hot Rocks
Hairball

Apologies for your confusion - I said "some of the most intense" by anyone, not the absolute all time intense by anyone.

one word for you.....duh.....I apologies for your "duh" You work for Trump don't you

Date: October 26, 2020 02:48

WTF? You've gone crazy!

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 26, 2020 05:07

Hairball
WTF? You've gone crazy!

Agreed

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 26, 2020 10:19

Hairball

thumbs up

With slide it's all about what happens between the notes.
It's an instrument in itself.

Some otherwise excellent guitarists can't play slide for toffee.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 26, 2020 15:59

I love this song, it would have been great anyway but the slide definitely brings it up another notch.

A top 10 Stones song, for sure! (I think i have about 50 songs in my top 10)

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: October 26, 2020 18:50

Yep fun & easy to play ( figuring it out was probably the hard part , I guess Mr.Jones did that back in the days ) -Anyway tune your guitar to open E and start on fret 3 and slide to fret 5 - repeat 3 times , then go from fret 10 to 12 3 times & then go from 8 to 10 then again repeat 3 times & that`s it !winking smiley Enjoy !: video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-28 16:19 by ComeOn.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 26, 2020 19:40

Hairball

I agree...it's a very good example of "feel" vs. simply "hitting the notes"

I guess some folks call that "soul"...

I always felt this "feel/soul/whatever" was what somebody like Joe Satriani lacked...he was lightning in a bottle on the fretboard and an insane talent, but his "feel" never really grabbed me the way SRV or others did....

I think I remember Charlie referencing this tune as "one of the last beautiful things Brian did"....or something like that.

I can see what he meant, if he actually said it...it's beautiful and the slide is "intense"...it really jumps out at you and hits you in the heart (IMO)

Maybe it is (as that dude said) the "easiest thing ever to play"....but, yet all versions are not equal by a long shot....the difference is "feel/soul"

that's why some folks sit in their basement of their mommy's house and play...and others get to go to MSG..

"feel" is what separates the men from the boys....and this tune is a spot-on case-in-point of that.

It's one of my favorites..."our love is like our music, it's here and then it's gone"

brilliant.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 26, 2020 21:48

NE, along with the rest of the BB album has always been good Fall music to me. It fits with this time of year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-26 21:52 by ryanpow.

Date: November 1, 2020 03:44

"That’s Brian playing. We were sitting around in a circle on the floor, singing and playing, recording with open mikes.
That was the last time I remember Brian really being totally involved in something that was really worth doing. He was there with everyone else.
It’s funny how you remember – but that was the last moment I remember him doing that, because he had just lost interest in everything".

- Mick, 1995

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 1, 2020 17:14

Hairball
"That’s Brian playing. We were sitting around in a circle on the floor, singing and playing, recording with open mikes.
That was the last time I remember Brian really being totally involved in something that was really worth doing. He was there with everyone else.
It’s funny how you remember – but that was the last moment I remember him doing that, because he had just lost interest in everything".

- Mick, 1995

Have you seen the documentory recording of Brian leaving the studio in his impressive hippie coat with his sitar? I always link that image to his last serious and subtle beautiful contribution to No Expectations .... heartbreaking.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 1, 2020 19:34

Here's Mick Taylor at NYC's Iridium in early 2012 having a go at "No Expectations" with his slide... (Sorry for the crummy 2012 phone audio and video.) ...
Suggest skip ahead to around 3:40

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-01 19:39 by schillid.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home