Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rest in Peace, Spencer Davis
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 20, 2020 19:08

Re: OT: Rest in Peace, Spencer Davis
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 20, 2020 19:50

Sad to hear RIP

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2020 19:50

Very sad news.

Was fortunate to see him at the very small Music Machine club in West L.A. in the mid '80's for a special blues themed night w/special guests.
After he played his set, out came Willie Dixon with his stand up bass, and the jams continued throughout the night with Spencer and members of Los Lobos and the Blasters backing Willie.

What a night....

RIP Spencer

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 20, 2020 19:56

For many of us here in the States he was part of the "English Invasion". I think "Gimme Some Lovin'" was one of his first, if not biggest hit here. Outside of this song and "I'm A Man" I don't remember any other songs by him that were big hits in the U-S. RIP, sir.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 20, 2020 20:00

Great band with Stevie Winwood; the early LPs are fantastic! Jimmy Miller was musically involved with them.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 20, 2020 21:08

Very sad news. RIP Spencer Davis.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 20, 2020 21:58

The Spencer Davis Group was one of the best bands of the 60s, their songs always memorable. Steve Winwood's voice surprisingly mature and soulful for such a young man. After he left the band, the group released Time Seller, a great piece of psychedelia with a string section that surely inspired Jeff Lynne's idea for ELO.

Did not know that Davis dated Christine Perfect back in the day.

Another good man gone. RIP Spencer.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 20, 2020 22:58

Spencer Davis Group were always on the music programmes on TV back in the 60's till about 1967 ,and when Steve Winwood left to form Traffic, they still done alright on the music scene.

Another British icon band in the great days of 60's music.

R.I.P. Spencer Davis

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 20, 2020 23:18

I have been listening to the SDG the last hour and it is strange because Stevie's musical skills somewhat overshadow Davis' contributions. Like with the J.Geils band, the guy with the band's name doesn't seem to lead, although, maybe he did. Anyway RIP Spencer you are great.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 21, 2020 00:01

Loved that band--I remember when the singer was known as Little Stevie Winwood. Spencer Davis steered them in a direction that was unique compared to other bands of the time, with that infusion of soul. RIP.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 21, 2020 00:03

RIP

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2020 03:05

From Steve Winwood via his website and on facebook:

“I’ve known Spencer since I was about 13–he would have been about 22. I was playing a show at Birmingham University with my brother and his band.
Spencer, who was a student at Birmingham, was playing with a small group of musicians. We met and the the seeds of The Spencer Davis Group were sown.
Spencer was an early pioneer of the British folk scene, which, in his case embraced folk blues, and eventually what was then called “Rhythm and Blues”.
He influenced my tastes in music, he owned the first 12-string guitar I ever saw, and he was taken with the music of Huddie “Lead belly” Ledbetter, and Big Bill Broonzy.
I’d already got a big brother who influenced me greatly, and Spencer became like a big brother to me at the time.
He was definitely a man with a vision, and one of the pioneers of the British invasion of America in the sixties.
I never went to the U.S. with Spencer, but he later embraced America, and America embraced him.
I feel that he was influential in setting me on the road to becoming a professional musician, and I thank him for that.
Thank you, Spencer.”

Steve Winwood & Spencer Davis

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 21, 2020 04:01

I got to see The Spencer Davis group in August of 1969, along with Ten Years After and John Mayall. It was after Winwood had left the group. They were good but not the same without Stevie.

RIP Mr. Davis

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 21, 2020 04:07

One of my all-time favourite bands, right up there with the best of them. Some real good stuff tends to be overshadowed by the hits, so here is this one:

Spencer Davis Group

RIP Spencer.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 21, 2020 09:24

rip sad smiley

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 21, 2020 12:30

I saw him with the Spencer Davis Group in a good concert in the 90s.

RIP Spencer Davis

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 21, 2020 16:40

"Gimme Some Lovin'" and "I'm a Man" are (in large part due to Jimmy Miller's production) two of the greatest records ever made. Even after more than 50 years, they still loom large in Steve Winwood's repertoire. Last time I saw him (2017) he opened with IAM and encored with GSL.

Date: October 21, 2020 17:35

tatters
"Gimme Some Lovin'" and "I'm a Man" are (in large part due to Jimmy Miller's production) two of the greatest records ever made. Even after more than 50 years, they still loom large in Steve Winwood's repertoire. Last time I saw him (2017) he opened with IAM and encored with GSL.

Absolutely. Throw in Keep on Running, and you have three of the strongest 45's by any of those 60's acts.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: October 21, 2020 18:05

i'm a spencer davies group fan..

and i like the spencer davies group after stevie w left them

the with his new face on album 1968 is good,

time seller,don't want you no more mr second class..ao

Date: October 21, 2020 18:16

I did see The Spencer Davis Group perform at a local theatre, a decade-or-so back. They were headlining a '60's Show' I think The Troggs and The Animals may have been on the same bill. I'd forgotten this, actually!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home