Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Jimi Hendrix's music - the gift that keeps on giving
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 20, 2020 17:56

Wow. I love Hendrix, but, man, how he's been used to turn a buck. I guess if you're a completest you'd have or want all of these. I wonder if the same fate waits for the Stones, Beatles, Who and others, though, as long as band members remain alive, I doubt they'd allow the bastardization of their music and legacy.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-21 17:27 by dmay.

Re: OT: Jime Hendrix's music - the gift that keeps on giving
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 20, 2020 18:01

Yes, it's seemingly a bottomless pit for the Hendrix estate. Of course, it's wonderful that so much has survived, but it does seem somewhat endless. I make-do with the Best-of and a few stray live-cuts that I happen to enjoy. Whilst I absolutely appreciate the incredible talent he was, he simply isn't a favourite.

Date: October 20, 2020 18:11

Big Al

Whilst I absolutely appreciate the incredible talent he was, he simply isn't a favourite.

Interesting remark.

I still wonder if and how he would have adapted to Jazzrock because he played by ear. He past away just before that era took off. Unfortunately we will never know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-20 18:18 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 20, 2020 18:48

dmay
Wow. I love Hendrix, but, man, how he's been used to turn a buck. I guess if you're a completest you'd have or want all of these. I wonder if the same fate waits for the Stones, Beatles, Who and others, though, as long as band members remain alive, I doubt they'd allow the bastardization of their music and legacy.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

As a Hendrix fan I'm happy to have something to look forward to. Also think they have done a wonderful job on the sound of some of these new releases.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2020 20:06

He's always been a favorite, but a lot of this posthumous stuff has been hit or miss - especially in the latter era.
Nice to have no doubt, but not all of it is essential by any means.

TheflyingDutchman
I still wonder if and how he would have adapted to Jazzrock because he played by ear.

Not sure if he would have completely gone in that direction, but if so he might have been similar to Jeff Beck, and pretty sure Beck plays by ear also.
But since Hendrix could also sing, I don't thing he would have gone the full instrumental route that Beck eventually took on Blow By Blow, Wired, etc.
We'll never know..................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-20 20:09 by Hairball.

Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix's music - the gift that keeps on giving
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 20, 2020 20:16

Please fix his name in the title.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 20, 2020 23:33

Hopefully, I corrected his name. If not, I would like to know how. Thanks.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2020 10:56

TheflyingDutchman
Big Al

Whilst I absolutely appreciate the incredible talent he was, he simply isn't a favourite.

Interesting remark.

It merely shows that, whilst I appreciate his undeniable talent and absolutely recognise his influence on both contemporaries and subsequent musician's, I just don't quite enjoy his playing - or, song-craft in general - as much as, say, a Jimmy Page, or pre-solo career, Eric Clapton

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 21, 2020 11:23

I owned the Essential Jimi Hendrix compilation as a kid which is pretty much all you need…or so I thought until I heard 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) for the first time just a few days ago. Praise Neptune! Epic and inventive track and possibly the only song ever with the word ‘Merman’ in the title (which if you haven’t already will allow you to forgive Jimi’s horrendous grammar in ‘Castles Made of Sand’).

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 21, 2020 11:58

dmay
Hopefully, I corrected his name. If not, I would like to know how. Thanks.

Go to your original post. Click edit, edit, and click save.

d.f

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 21, 2020 15:54

Sorry.
But to me most of the rock stars especially from that era who'd died late 60s/ early 70's were already at or even past their peak.

Brian,Janis Joplin,Jimi Hendrix,J.Morrison . .

For different reasons I wouldn't see a long great career for them in their later years.
And yeah, that even goes for Hendrix.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 21, 2020 16:54

The Essential and the 3 Experience albums are all I need.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 22, 2020 05:12

CousinC
Sorry.
But to me most of the rock stars especially from that era who'd died late 60s/ early 70's were already at or even past their peak.

Brian,Janis Joplin,Jimi Hendrix,J.Morrison . .

For different reasons I wouldn't see a long great career for them in their later years.
And yeah, that even goes for Hendrix.

I sure disagree. Their final "proper" LPs, LA Woman, Cry of Love, and Pearl were as good as anything Morrison, Hendrix, and Joplin ever did arguably better. And certainly Hendrix's later music gave the impression he was going somewhere amazing.

Date: October 22, 2020 06:09

Agreed Wry Cooter. The first two posthumous albums from Hendrix - The Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge both released in 1971- include some of my favorite Hendrix tunes.
Freedom, EZ Ryder, Night Bird Flying, In From the Storm, Angel, Straight Ahead, Dolly Dagger, Earth Blues, Pali Gap, Look Over Yonder, Hey Baby (New Rising Sun).
All great tunes, and later compiled on the First Rays of the New Rising Sun album in '97 which was the supposed title of the album he was working on with these tracks intended for it.
Simply put, Hendrix was still going places, and beyond these quality tracks, the sky was the limit...his best work was still ahead of him imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-22 06:11 by Hairball.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 22, 2020 06:52

Some people are really missing out on some great Hendrix if they think all they need is the 3 JH Experience studio albums + Band Of Gypsys live LP & a greatest hits/Best of.

I spent countless (approx 5k hours) compiling, editing, searching, DL etc. my music library. I spent by far the most amount of time on The Stones b/c of their huge volume of unreleased/rarities etc...(I didn't find IORR til May 2020). Hendrix was 2nd in time spent, tons of unreleased stuff. I have 680 Hendrix items (some duplication, ie, live vs., alt. vs., studio vs. etc.), ~40-50 LP's & mostly unreleased stuff. His work offers some of the best live music you'll ever hear. Much like Zeppelin, he went off on tangents from 1 version to the next. The more I dig to find...it's a rabbit hole, so I took a break.

Note: Hendrix was notorious (and/or the bootleggers) for having a song with multiple titles. Especially "Blues" & "Jams" etc.

Here's what's left to still find (some are found, but in a concert and/or LP, not singular):

KPFA TAPES- Heavy Jam 3:48
Jimi's Blues
No! No! (No No)
Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
Funky (is Funky Jam the same? from Cafe Au Go Go live ?)
Baggy's Jam 4:55
Blues Jam at Olympic (Studios) 5:10
Slow Time Blues 3:49 (from Burning Desire, Jan'70)
Slow Blues 1:46
Smashing of Amps 6:25
Snowballs at My Window ? (50th anniv. Elec.Ladyland) aka “Our Lovely Home”
With the Power 3:28 (from Crash Landing/Both Sides of the Sky)
Stone Free Again 3:25(from Valleys of Neptune); (also from @Newport Music Fest.)~1:20-1:30 long

Live Versions: Crosstown Traffic, Wait Until Tomorrow +++
EXCELLENT REFERENCE GUIDE: [hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr]

Little Dog Of Mine aka Lil' Dog of Mine (1:26 of BS!)
Hollywood Jam aka Electric Church Jam (I have the full Electric Church aka '70 Atlanta Pop festival) & also on Ball & Chain '68 album
I've Seen The Blues For Me And You (same as Lord, I Sing The Blues For Me & You?)
Diamonds In The Dust (album or song?)
Honey Bed (4 takes) ...I have this on Ball & Chain'68 iirc, or TTG.
*Pride Of Man"....Like on "Freak Out Jam", this is simply the "Cherokee Mist/In from The Storm" that was on the MCA box but is longer here...........I already have this!
Rainy Day Shuffle
Jam(s) I-VI
Free From Blues
on Freak Out Jam 69-70 Soundboard: (I have the entire LP)
Bright Lights, Big City
Midnight Lightning Rap
Mushy Name (early version of Ezy Rider)
Things I Used to Do (instrumental version)
Variation On A Theme
Tajimi Boogie
Piano Roll

PPX Recordings:
Welcome Home
Blues Blues
Fool For Your Baby
Gypsy Sunset (same as Gypsy Sun & Rainbows?)
You Don't Want Me (Instr.)
Better Times Ahead
Wah Wah (Instr.)
Sleepy Fate (Studio, Instr.)
Nobody Loves Me
I Feel Good
[crosstowntorrents.org]
[bootleg-addiction-forever.blogspot.com]
Eyes of Imagination
REM (acoustic, first time ever released)
C# Jam
JS 2 Marshall Attack - October 198
Hobh January 23, 1970
JS 3 Hollywood/Duet Jam - 1968-69

JIMI HENDRIX This Flyer [2CD] Jimi’s house Shokan, NY Sept19, '69 Soundboard? :
Baroque 2 - Flying Virtuoso/Spiked With Heady Dreams/Lift Off
Cactus
Electric Indians
America The Beautiful
XX Denny Boy (it's not Jimi playing)

Wild Thing (part 2)
Two Old Maids
from '68 TTG: Jimi Hendrix, & Jack Bruce, Tim Mc Carthy & Buddy Miles
12 Bar Jam in E #1
12 Bar Jam in E #3
12 Bar Jam in D
Jam in D

Instrumental Jam #3
Anything Is Possible
I'm Gonna Leave This Town
Baby What Do You Want Me To Do
There Goes ?
Bluesiana Jam (BB King Slow Instrumental Jam)
Heavy Rider Jam (Ezy Rider Jam)
The Street Thing (Unrel Studio Outtake)
San Francisco Bay Blues Jam (Electric Ladyland Outtakes)
Devil Jam (Winter Jam) ? (J. Winter?)
Nervous Breakdown
Studio Catastrophe

from Record Plant 2/69:
Duane Hitchings Jam
Noel's Tune

Also sprach Zarathustra
Express Horns Jam

Last Thursday Morning.
Rock 'N' Roll Band.
You Got It.
Whipper.
Mother Earth.
New Rising Sun Overture (unedited)

Jimi Hendrix with Love Midnight Sun 1968-1970 Studio Outtakes  Soundboard
Tracks 1-8: Olympic Studios, March 1970, featuring Love  Tracks 9-10: From unreleased Blues Album, 1970 
1. Midnight Sun
2. Can't find My Baby
3. I Can't Find It Without You
4. Walk Right/Always See Your Face
5. Skin
6. Stay Away
7. Only you
8. See Myself In You
9 Slowtime Blues

Rock'N'Roll Jam
Under The Table
Groove Maker

Golden Rose
Eire Apparent

(Shokan House)
Drinking Wine
Juma Jam
Summer Jam

Maui Sunset [bootleg-addiction-forever.blogspot.com]

[vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.com]
You Got What It Takes
Blue Blues

West Coast Seattle Boy (deluxe ed.):...
Where Some

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-22 07:42 by KevinM.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 22, 2020 21:21

Cry of Love has some greatness, and some not so great. Remember, Jimi was a perfectionist and he didn't get to finish those songs. What is great on Cry of Love (which he didn't name) is as good as anything he did, and moves in a new direction. I think Jimi was underestimated. He was a genius songwriter overshadowed by his earth shattering guitar playing. I think whatever he planned the next album to be would have been fantastic.

Jimi was well grounded in funk. He might have had a lot of fun in the 70s.

Date: October 22, 2020 23:33

As mentioned, the tunes on the posthumously released Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge were intended to be on an album he was working on at the time of his death.
That work-in-progress album he named First Rays of the New Rising Sun, and was eventually cobbled together from the Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge tracks, and released as a double album in 1997 under that name.
He didn't name the posthumous Cry of Of Love or Rainbow Bridge or War Heroes or Loose Ends or Crash Landing or Midnight Landing, etc., etc., etc, because he was dead.

*Since First Rays was still a work-in-progress when he died, who knows if that would have really remained the album title, and/or whether or not all or just some of those tracks would have been included on it.
The release in '97 is interesting, but it's based on the assumption that this is what Hednrix would have done, and have to say I prefer the original Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge as separate albums.
Plus, First Rays doesnt include the scorching Hear My Train a Coming live that was included on Rainbow Bridge, and was a highlight of that album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-22 23:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 23, 2020 00:47

Cry Of Love is an excellent album, and I’m pretty sure Kramer worked on the original.

The estate should release Black Gold before all of the Hendrix fans that actually saw him in concert die off.

It’s becoming the once a year Hendrix odds and sods to keep Janie’s light bill on. Excuse me, the light bill at her multiple mansions, I’m sure.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 23, 2020 00:51

I’m glad I got 7 Dollars In My Pocket, before she scarfed it off the internet....what a jam!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 23, 2020 01:19

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: October 23, 2020 06:49

Hairball
Agreed Wry Cooter. The first two posthumous albums from Hendrix - The Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge both released in 1971- include some of my favorite Hendrix tunes.
Freedom, EZ Ryder, Night Bird Flying, In From the Storm, Angel, Straight Ahead, Dolly Dagger, Earth Blues, Pali Gap, Look Over Yonder, Hey Baby (New Rising Sun).
All great tunes, and later compiled on the First Rays of the New Rising Sun album in '97 which was the supposed title of the album he was working on with these tracks intended for it.
Simply put, Hendrix was still going places, and beyond these quality tracks, the sky was the limit...his best work was still ahead of him imo.

Agreed. I understand this is about Jimi Hendrix, but I believe Buddy Holly would have made an album similar to Sgt. Pepper's in terms of studio techniques, etc.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 25, 2020 01:18

Well I can tell you I just got the 6-LP, Blu-ray version of Electric Ladyland, and I have to say I am well impressed. The original album is my favorite Hendrix set, and the two LPs of bonus material are well worth while. Haven't listened to the two live LPs and do not know if I will or not actually, but what I have heard so far has been great. Listened to the blu-ray version of the original and it was enlightening too. And I have to say the packaging was first rate; nice flat records in nice audiophile inner sleeves, the records I have listened to so far have played perfectly, the included book is kool though I haven't read all the way through yet. Well worth every penny of the 60$ I spent on it and major upgrade from the original versions I had from back in the day (the USA cover, the UK nude ladies cover, and the separate 3D like collage covers that I totally loved the best and had to buy just for them.)

jb

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 25, 2020 15:36

I am just amazed at how much stuff Hendrix actually put down on tape ! He must have turned on his tape recorder the minute he woke up and let it record all day ! Or at least when he walked into the studio the tapes must have been tolling-- how do you amass enough material to be released 50 years after you are gone ? Wow- impressive ! And most of it is good !

Date: October 25, 2020 16:08

Hairball
He's always been a favorite, but a lot of this posthumous stuff has been hit or miss - especially in the latter era.
Nice to have no doubt, but not all of it is essential by any means.

TheflyingDutchman
I still wonder if and how he would have adapted to Jazzrock because he played by ear.

Not sure if he would have completely gone in that direction, but if so he might have been similar to Jeff Beck, and pretty sure Beck plays by ear also.
But since Hendrix could also sing, I don't thing he would have gone the full instrumental route that Beck eventually took on Blow By Blow, Wired, etc.
We'll never know..................

Yup, that makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 16:09 by TheflyingDutchman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home