Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith on Brussels Midnight Rambler
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 19, 2020 20:53

I was just listening to Midnight Rambler from Brussels without the vocals to focus on the guitars and Taylor and particularly Keith are on fire.Anyone who says Keith wasn’t playing well on that tour should listen to Rambler .His playing including his solos are ferocious and perfectly rhythmic

Re: Keith on Brussels Midnight Rambler
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 19, 2020 21:04

It’s a great example of how he and Charlie lock onto each other and propel the song through its various textures...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 19, 2020 21:14

How do you listen to it without the vocals? Ignore them?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 19, 2020 21:38

GasLightStreet
well,I subscribe to isolated tracks,which can remove the vocals’ordrums,or bass.Some people who are tech savvy do it themselves.It allows you to hear certain instruments better

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2020 22:22

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
well,I subscribe to isolated tracks,which can remove the vocals’ordrums,or bass.Some people who are tech savvy do it themselves.It allows you to hear certain instruments better

I was hoping this could be done with Ghost Town as a a remix/extended dub version - not that there's anything wrong with the vocals, but would be nice to have more variety of the same tune.
Scarlet and Rage would have made good candidates also, as well as Plundered - not a fan of those vocals at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-19 22:23 by Hairball.

Date: October 20, 2020 13:26

GasLightStreet

The art of ZEN. grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 20, 2020 14:42

Taylor1
I was just listening to Midnight Rambler from Brussels without the vocals to focus on the guitars and Taylor and particularly Keith are on fire.Anyone who says Keith wasn’t playing well on that tour should listen to Rambler

Keef did play badly on some nights. Listen to the Manchester show that's been preserved on tape... It's painfully bland.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2020 16:42

Taylor1
I was just listening to Midnight Rambler from Brussels without the vocals to focus on the guitars and Taylor and particularly Keith are on fire.Anyone who says Keith wasn’t playing well on that tour should listen to Rambler .His playing including his solos are ferocious and perfectly rhythmic

I personally think that that particular performance of "Midnight Rambler" is Keith's biggest hour as a guitar player (not that he doesn't shine many other times in that number and others, but this Brussells one is an ultimate performance, THE peak moment, perfect by all means). His rhythm work is simply transcendental and touching levels no any guitar player ever has done. The band altogether is an incredible form, each doing about best they ever can, but to me Keith is the star of that performance. He makes everyone fly ('I shine when the band shines' - bloody hell Keith - you more than do that!)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-20 16:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: October 20, 2020 19:06

What Doxa said...that is my favorite part of all the Stones stuff I have, and all the hundreds of times I have listened to it, I am always struck by how cool it is...wish I could've been there!!!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 20, 2020 20:02

Difficult to hear with all those notes Taylor is playing.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 20, 2020 20:21

I find it unlistenable due to Taylor's endless noodling.

sc uk

Date: October 20, 2020 20:52

In the middle section they are playing together, complementing each other's licks. That part is fantastic. They are actually listening to each other, creating magic.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 20, 2020 21:13

also on angie from brussels, they both play great together the whole song.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 21, 2020 03:47

I may be wrong, but at one if the 2 Brussels shows, didn't Keef kind if jump the gun on Mick's harmonica opening? Mick says something like 'someone's quick tonite?' and Keef launches into it at a faster tempo? Thinking the pre-show coke was amazing that night? OK, maybe they had an extra cup of tea....

I personally MUCH prefer the guitars in 1973 to any Stones shows I've attended, or live recordings I've heard from any Stones tour. Keef and Taylor are on fire, and seem to play off each other so well, as Dandelion Powerman stated. Much more happening on stage than 69, 72, or anything after.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2020 10:50

OpenG
also on angie from brussels, they both play great together the whole song.

Agree completely, with the earlier show's rendition being slightly stronger, in my opinion.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: October 21, 2020 13:00

DandelionPowderman
In the middle section they are playing together, complementing each other's licks. That part is fantastic. They are actually listening to each other, creating magic.

Agree, Keef and Mick Taylor pushing each other. Best version ever of this song

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: October 21, 2020 13:01

buffalo7478
I may be wrong, but at one if the 2 Brussels shows, didn't Keef kind if jump the gun on Mick's harmonica opening? Mick says something like 'someone's quick tonite?' and Keef launches into it at a faster tempo? Thinking the pre-show coke was amazing that night? OK, maybe they had an extra cup of tea....

I personally MUCH prefer the guitars in 1973 to any Stones shows I've attended, or live recordings I've heard from any Stones tour. Keef and Taylor are on fire, and seem to play off each other so well, as Dandelion Powerman stated. Much more happening on stage than 69, 72, or anything after.

Cannot agree more

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: October 21, 2020 13:25

straycatuk

sc uk

No one seems to have 'bitten' on this comment!

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: October 21, 2020 13:31

buffalo7478
I may be wrong, but at one if the 2 Brussels shows, didn't Keef kind if jump the gun on Mick's harmonica opening? Mick says something like 'someone's quick tonite?' and Keef launches into it at a faster tempo? Thinking the pre-show coke was amazing that night? OK, maybe they had an extra cup of tea...

On The Brussels Affair just after Mick Jagger starts his harmonica intro, Mick Taylor instantly plays back the same phrase Jagger had on the harmonica in a call and response manner, to which Jagger exclaims "Very quick aren't you?", shortly after Keith does come storming in starting the first verse.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2020 13:38

Captain Teague
straycatuk

sc uk

Yet, i 'get' the point. Taylor really did overplay at times. Many, here, evidently really enjoy the noodling, but it detracts from the raucousness of Keith's rhythm-work a little. I suppose there is an occasional sense of overkill on Taylor's part. I, personally, prefer his performances from what I've heard of the '69 U.S.A. tour; Ya-Ya's and Louder Than You'll Ever Be.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 21, 2020 13:42

Taylor1

Of course he's perfect at Brussels, but the thing is that there times that he was so wasted that it spoiled everything, especially in Switzerland. I always feel so bad for Mick when listening to the 2 first Swiss shows.

Date: October 21, 2020 13:45

Big Al
Captain Teague
straycatuk

sc uk

Yet, i 'get' the point. Taylor really did overplay at times. Many, here, evidently really enjoy the noodling, but it detracts from the raucousness of Keith's rhythm-work a little. I suppose there is an occasional sense of overkill on Taylor's part. I, personally, prefer his performances from what I've heard of the '69 U.S.A. tour; Ya-Ya's and Louder Than You'll Ever Be.

To each own, but I love Taylor's "noodling", he's the brilliant guitarplayer I know, after Hendrix and Clapton. But I see that can go over the line like in Frankfurt 1973, for some.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2020 14:53

Erik_Snow
Big Al
Captain Teague
straycatuk

sc uk

To each own, but I love Taylor's "noodling", he's the brilliant guitarplayer I know, after Hendrix and Clapton. But I see that can go over the line like in Frankfurt 1973, for some.

To each own indeed, but I neither ever have had problems with so called "noodling" by Taylor. I think what he does fits perfectly to the over-all sound of the Stones at the time. The whole European tour 1973 was such a guitar fiesta the Stones ever have had, both Taylor and Keith just doing what they do best: Keith mastering the riff and rhythm section the way only he can do, while Taylor taking care of the laed guitar duties, and playing like a star pupil of that British 'guitar god' class he is, mostly whole gas on, with no use for brakes. Surely there were some off nights (especially in the case of Keith), but I over-all think that the way those two guys interact, that's the outcome of the experience having played some years together, both sticking to what they know best, and trusting 100% each other.

To me the idea of Taylor with his supposed 'over-playing' somehow prevents Keith's guitar to distinguish enough or something like that, sounds odd. I never have thought the Stones should emphasize somehow some singular instrument by the cost of the others. Or that all these Joneses, Taylors and Woods should be downplay in order to the the art of Keith's guitar to shine clear and distinct. No, I think the Stones, if anything, are a band of team-play, all the contributors making such a funny noise together, in which the sum is more than its parts. I think the balance between the guitarists was perfect in 1973 - Keith and Taylor are supporting each other - and more important: the over-all sound of the band. Especially when I listen to the magnificiant Brussels version of "Midnight Rambler" - the peak of anything - I find it just thrilling, even mind-blowing to 'follow' what the hell happens in the guitar section. Both having a crucial role in making the over-all impression. The interplay between the two powerful guitarists is just so breath-taking.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-21 15:01 by Doxa.

Date: October 21, 2020 15:22

Doxa

To each own indeed, but I neither ever have had problems with so called "noodling" by Taylor.

- Doxa

But I agree with you, I adore Taylor. I just can understand why some people think too much place on stage on certain 1973 shows. But I love it.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: October 21, 2020 16:33

Taylor1

Hi Can you share it here , or a part of it ?
Thanks .

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 21, 2020 16:57

You always have to consider the times.

In late 60s/ early 70's Rock music it was all about lead guitar playing.
I remember critics from 1970 shows writing of "just uninspired, simple RocknRoll without any virtuoso performance".

A few years later with punk it all changed.
Woody coming in at the right time again.

Date: October 21, 2020 17:01

During the first two verses Jagger sings, then Taylor plays a fill etc. So Taylor isn't interfering the vocal line. It's more like answer-question. For the second part of the song I agree with DP.The middle part is a great blues-rock improvisation, and then they sprint to the finish together.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-21 17:06 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 21, 2020 22:10

Captain Teague
straycatuk

sc uk

Been there done that.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 22, 2020 00:05

Captain Teague
straycatuk

sc uk

I played Brussels Affair for a friend once, and he said. "Who overdubbed the horrible wailing lead guitar on this great Stones show?"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 22, 2020 00:44

drwatts
Captain Teague
straycatuk

sc uk

I played Brussels Affair for a friend once, and he said. "Who overdubbed the horrible wailing lead guitar on this great Stones show?"

And then he heard Ronnie struggle through YCAGWYW.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home