Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Kooper-Stills-Bloomfield Super Session
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 19, 2020 17:47

I wonder how many of us children of the 1960s have this packed away in our vinyl collection. This is still a great listen.

[guitar.com]

Re: OT: Kooper-Stills-Bloomfield Super Session
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 19, 2020 17:54

My copy unfortunately is now in sombody else's collection ... lent it ages ago and never got it back!

C

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 19, 2020 21:41

This record was one of the staples that you saw in every record shops for years...but I've never heard it.

It may be that Still's one-off appearance on a Columbia album was one of the "trading cards" for David Crosby to be released from his Columbia Records Byrds contract.

I remember reading somewhere years ago where in 1968 Crosby had tried to make it seem to Clive Davis that he was artistically "finished" and his career was basically over in order that Clive would let him join CSN and record on Atlantic.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 19, 2020 21:54

liddas
My copy unfortunately is now in sombody else's collection ... lent it ages ago and never got it back!

C

Same for me. I think my copy is somewhere in Boston now.

I remember I liked side one.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 19, 2020 22:04

Stills apparently was called in at the last minute when bloomfield left because he couldn't score in the small town where they recorded.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 20, 2020 00:47

Here's a utoob link to the album for those who might want to check it out. Regarding the recording of the album, I believe it was in Los Angeles. Re Bloomfield, I don't think he was totally stretched out on smack at the time the album was recorded. There's also an album called "The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper" which has some very good songs on it.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 20, 2020 01:22

oh yes he was, strung out. He was too shy (or sick, or lazy) to go out and score (pretty sure also the "small town" was LA) so he drove back home to the bay area, in the middle of the night, without informing anyone, to visit his regular connections. Then he claimed it was insomnia that did it. He even says that on his intro to the Lost Tapes Fillmore East release, which features one of if not the first Johnny Winter appearance on a big stage, introduced by Bloomie with "this MF can really PLAY!".

jb

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 20, 2020 03:45

jbwelda
oh yes he was, strung out. He was too shy (or sick, or lazy) to go out and score (pretty sure also the "small town" was LA) so he drove back home to the bay area, in the middle of the night, without informing anyone, to visit his regular connections. Then he claimed it was insomnia that did it. He even says that on his intro to the Lost Tapes Fillmore East release, which features one of if not the first Johnny Winter appearance on a big stage, introduced by Bloomie with "this MF can really PLAY!".

jb
The drummer totally ruined that Fillmore jam. A friggin' waltz?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 20, 2020 05:35

I forget, who was on drums for it?

I am pretty on the fence over it, some of it is pretty inspired, but some is pretty boring even within the narrow focus of the blues. And it kind of sounds off, maybe its the drumming that's causing it.

I liked the original, especially the side with Bloomfield on it, but it way overused a couple of effects. Sounded kind of kool for a while but now it makes me wince.

Electric Flag 1st (only?) album is more where I am at. That one has really improved over time for me and I liked it plenty when it came out. Bloomie was my guitar hero for a long time and had the pleasure of hanging out with him a bit back then because my girlfriend was John Lee Hooker's god daughter. It was a crazy unhealthy time.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home