Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's Sex Machine
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 18, 2020 04:21

When I used to enjoy the Jointrip Atlantic city DVD I never realized Keith was playing the Sex Machine riff during the last verse of Undercover.

The new DVD had his riff nice and easy upfront.

Only bugger is that during Midnight Rambler the DVD just quit playing, I heard some of you other guys had similar problems. Pretty daft to get the new Deluxe version finally and it quits playingangry smiley

Buenos Aires '98 saved the night anyway, much more loose and dangerous so it's not a loss per se but JL Hooker's Boogie Chillun... Man was I lookin' forward to that tonight or what?!?!sad smiley

Re: Keith's Sex Machine
Date: October 19, 2020 13:51

The good thing before the TOTALLY new DVD crashed is that I FINALLY worked out the Rock And A Hard Place riff after all these years. The winning combo of Innis & Gunn Quarter Cask ale and the Côtes du Rhône must've kicked in precisely in the right momentgrinning smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 19, 2020 14:47

MadMax

Only bugger is that during Midnight Rambler the DVD just quit playing, I heard some of you other guys had similar problems. Pretty daft to get the new Deluxe version finally and it quits playingangry smiley
You are not the first person who report the issue with Midnight Rambler for this DVD. I have two copies - from DVD/2CD combo and Superdeluxe. In the both cases the DVDs were pressed from the stamplers from the very same glass master
Matrix 1 DVD: (2X Universal Logo) 0874190 DK14145-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH (R logo)
Matrix 2 DVD: DK14145-01_L1
Matrix Mastering SID Code: Inner and Outer Circle: IFPI L578
Matrix Mould Sid Code: IFPI 9747

The numbers are exactly the same. I.e. etched catalog numbers, SID mastering code (= the same Laser Beam Recorder), SID Mould code (= the same moulding machine at the pressing plant). The only difference is the label - blue/red vs. grey. But you do not play the label. No problems with playback.

Where exactly the problem occurs? Because, the analysis show that there is a switch between two files in the middle of MR (appr. 1h. 05min. 49-50sec. into the movie), just after Mick finished the verse (I'll split the time the cock'rel crows) and before the next one. Maybe your player just does not track the switch between VTS_02_3 and VTS_02_4 properly?

Judging the file sizes one can also assume this is the point where the laser of your player suppose to switch between two layers of this DVD (if they made the 1st layer ~3.68Gb and the 2nd ~4.42Gb).

If the latter is the issue you can randomly blame both - tracking system of your player and faulty DVD.

PS. See here
[en.wikipedia.org]
From my experience older DVD palyers poorly track this switch. Also the newer players lose this ability with time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-19 15:20 by ironbelly.

Date: October 19, 2020 14:54

There seems to be a sound problem on MR as well.

I have never noticed on my boots that Keith's guitar dips in and out and makes some noises time and again during the song. That should have been evident on a Pay per View-show?

It's more audible on my Bluray than on the vinyl or cd.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 19, 2020 15:36

ironbelly
MadMax

You are not the first person who report the issue with Midnight Rambler for this DVD. I have two copies - from DVD/2CD combo and Superdeluxe. In the both cases the DVDs were pressed from the stamplers from the very same glass master
Matrix 1 DVD: (2X Universal Logo) 0874190 DK14145-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH (R logo)

The numbers are exactly the same. I.e. etched catalog numbers, SID mastering code (= the same Laser Beam Recorder), SID Mould code (= the same moulding machine at the pressing plant). The only difference is the label - blue/red vs. grey. But you do not play the label. No problems with playback.

Where exactly the problem occurs? Because, the analysis show that there is a switch between two files in the middle of MR (appr. 1h. 05min. 49-50sec. into the movie), just after Mick finished the verse (I'll split the time the cock'rel crows) and before the next one. Maybe your player just does not track the switch between VTS_02_3 and VTS_02_4 properly?

Judging the file sizes one can also assume this is the point where the laser of your player suppose to switch between two layers of this DVD (if they made the 1st layer ~3.68Gb and the 2nd ~4.42Gb).

If the latter is the issue you can randomly blame both - tracking system of your player and faulty DVD.

PS. See here
[en.wikipedia.org]
From my experience older DVD palyers poorly track this switch. Also the newer players lose this ability with time.

I had exactly the same problem: at the beginning of MR, the froze and music stopped. Yet, the min/sec counter on the DVD player continued running as everything was correct.

Sure the player is not new, but it worked fine until now!

C

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 19, 2020 15:38

MadMax
When I used to enjoy the Jointrip Atlantic city DVD I never realized Keith was playing the Sex Machine riff during the last verse of Undercover.

Noticed too, for the first time listening to the CD at max volume while driving home!

Must have been some sort of internal joke!

C

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 19, 2020 15:49

He plays it throughout the song.

Date: October 19, 2020 16:04

GasLightStreet

Not quite. Anyways, I noticed it right away, back when I got my TSP-bootleg back in the early 90. It suits the song nicely, imo.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 19, 2020 16:07

Thought this was about the missing chapter from KR's "Life" autobiography...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 19, 2020 16:09

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Not quite. Anyways, I noticed it right away, back when I got my TSP-bootleg back in the early 90. It suits the song nicely, imo.

I backtracked through the song and heard the licks even in the front end. Or is it a specific jank that's going on? I heard some lickage that he uses in 2000 Light Years and Tie You Up that he used in Sex Drive.

I listened to UOTN on ATLANTIC CITY and then the live single version, wow, what a difference - the single version sounds sped up plus the mix is way busy, the live album version sounds more laidback.

Date: October 19, 2020 17:18

ironbelly
MadMax

PS. See here
[en.wikipedia.org]

Cheers mate! Yeah, it quits around that mark. Do you think it is possible to skip MR and jump directly to the next tune? Which I suspect is YCAGWYW, but don't wanna know as I haven't watched my Jointrip version (which always worked fine btw) for years and wanna be surprised just like IRLsmileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-19 17:25 by MadMax.

Date: October 19, 2020 17:22

schillid
Thought this was about the missing chapter from KR's "Life" autobiography...

I remember we built something similar in high school outta chairs, mattresses and blankets. Funnily enough we couldn't convince anyone of our female class mates to enter....

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 19, 2020 17:41

MadMax

Cheers mate! Yeah, it quits around that mark. Do you think it is possible to skip MR and jump directly to the next tune? Which I suspect is YCAGWYW, but don't wanna know as I haven't watched my Jointrip version (which always worked fine btw) for years and wanna be surprised just like IRLsmileys with beer
Guess so. Just select YCAGWYW from the menu and play the rest of the concert.
Usually that sh&t it happened only at the 'turning point' - a switch between two layers during playback. I learned it my way long time ago, when Four Flicks came out. I went to Best Buy a couple of times for exchange because DVDs 'froze' somewhere in the middle of all concerts. Only after that I realized that the problem might be not with discs but with player too.

Date: October 19, 2020 18:02

ironbelly
MadMax

Guess so. Just select YCAGWYW from the menu and play the rest of the concert.
Usually that sh&t it happened only at the 'turning point' - a switch between two layers during playback. I learned it my way long time ago, when Four Flicks came out. I went to Best Buy a couple of times for exchange because DVDs 'froze' somewhere in the middle of all concerts. Only after that I realized that the problem might be not with discs but with player too.

Cheers mate, I'll do that!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 19, 2020 22:31

Mercifully, not what I was expecting to read. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 19, 2020 23:49

things that go brrrrrrrr in the middle of the night ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 20, 2020 12:10

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Checked again last night, he plays it during the 2nd chorus and then all through the last verse, not the first 2-3 minutes. Yeah I agree it suits the song perfect, it's a great section of the show, UOTN, HS and then Dice. Very cool.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2020 13:25

After reading this thread here yesterday i went home and played MR just to make sure it worked and didn't stop and thankfully mine worked on Atlantic City .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2020 16:51

SomeTorontoGirl

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 20, 2020 21:32

Yes my dvd got stuck at Midnight Rambler as well. I had to turn my DVD player off, then start the dvd again - little red rooster didn’t work either but it was fine if I skipped those two songs

Date: October 21, 2020 00:01

Doxa
SomeTorontoGirl

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Never underestimate a good caption....winking smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 21, 2020 03:25

MadMax

Quite! As a bit of a science nerd, I started following the Journal of Irreproducible Results (now the Annals of Improbable Research) some years ago. A book was eventually produced, called ‘Sex As A Heap Of Malfunctioning Rubble.’ The title was itself a social experiment, to see if the book with the word ’sex’ in the title would sell better than their last book. It did. (Yeah, I bought it... shaddup! grinning smiley )

Date: October 21, 2020 12:25

SomeTorontoGirl
MadMax

Quite! As a bit of a science nerd, I started following the Journal of Irreproducible Results (now the Annals of Improbable Research) some years ago. A book was eventually produced, called ‘Sex As A Heap Of Malfunctioning Rubble.’ The title was itself a social experiment, to see if the book with the word ’sex’ in the title would sell better than their last book. It did. (Yeah, I bought it... shaddup! grinning smiley )

grinning smiley

Date: November 7, 2020 14:39

Now it's settled, if you listen closely Keith starts playing the (PROPER) Sex Machine riff during Ronnie's solo. Before he plays the same chords but it's not the same riff as James Brown's song. Then he keeps working the Sex Machine during the last section of the song.

Date: November 7, 2020 19:45

Anyone here disagrees??smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home