Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: pink floyd v the rolling stones
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 21, 2020 21:24

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
Witness
LeonidP
I agree, they are like comparing apples w/ oranges, but still ... boring? Is the Stones Wild Horses boring? Some might think so but I sure don't, and I don't see much a difference between that track and Wish You Were Here -- both are great! And in this case I do see a comparison.

If I may, I would like to come with a vital objection: In this case it is not a question about apples or oranges. Instead it is all about "Apples and Oranges". To be more spesific

[www.youtube.com]

Not following, sorry. Seems you didn't read my post, i did not use "Apples or Oranges".

Seems like you two agree after all, as you said "with", not "or" winking smiley

OK, I only wanted a pretext to enter the title of the Floyd song from the Syd Barrett era and a link to it.

I so much fancied that single, when it was on the radio, recently released. And how I loved even more to listen to " See Emily Play" on wonderful Radio London (the pirate station) in the summer of 1967 (if my memory serves me well as to the details).

Last edit: Correction of a misspelling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-21 21:43 by Witness.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 21, 2020 22:10

Witness
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
Witness
LeonidP
I agree, they are like comparing apples w/ oranges, but still ... boring? Is the Stones Wild Horses boring? Some might think so but I sure don't, and I don't see much a difference between that track and Wish You Were Here -- both are great! And in this case I do see a comparison.

If I may, I would like to come with a vital objection: In this case it is not a question about apples or oranges. Instead it is all about "Apples and Oranges". To be more spesific

[www.youtube.com]

Not following, sorry. Seems you didn't read my post, i did not use "Apples or Oranges".

Seems like you two agree after all, as you said "with", not "or" winking smiley

OK, I only wanted a pretext to enter the title of the Floyd song from the Syd Barrett era and a link to it...

LOL, sorry didn't check the actual links or i might have understood!

Date: October 21, 2020 22:21

Same here. Guilty as charged.. smiling smiley

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 22, 2020 07:11

RS vs. PF...The Stones AINEC

I've rated PF as #9 on my all-time list. Though the older I get, the less I like them, if that makes any sense, so they'll likely drop out of my Top 10 & hold position around #12. For me they're not an every day kinda band, nor every week. Maybe 1x per year for a few songs. Part of that is during the '80s I listened to their big 4 albums way too much.

Their peaks were great (Animals, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here) The Wall is very good, but not great & overplayed imho...the rest are pretty mediocre at best, save for a few songs here & there. Cerebral, creative, talented, pioneers in Psychedelic Prog. Rock, R&R HOF worthy....all true.

A couple of favorites on (non mainstream) Obscured By Clouds LP: Free Four, Wots..Uh the Deal.

Meddle, Animals & Live at Pompeii LPs are highly recommended !!

some other good songs that aren't too mainstream

-Echoes
-See Emily Play
-Point Me At The Sky
-Biding My Time
-One Of These Days
-Not Now John
-Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict...FUN FACT: the last line in this song is "And the wind cried Mary"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-22 07:39 by KevinM.

Date: October 22, 2020 11:11

Not Now, John was a single, no?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 22, 2020 11:18

KevinM, See Emily Play was a top-ten hit on the U.K. chart in 1967 and is surely well-known to any pop-fan of the day and those subsequently who are fans' of great psych-pop. It's a classic of it's time, for sure. I do understand you're not saying it isn't, of course winking smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 23, 2020 02:51

one of the reasons i skipped over floyd for years is because i hadnt heard the pre dark side stuff, now i have and i think that is floyds best stuff.

love confortably numb and wish you were here but prefer

astronomy domine
interstellar overdrive
let there be more light
flaming
corporal clegg
arnold layne
see emily play
julia dream
careful with that axe eugene
set the controls for the heart of the sun
a saucerfull of secrets
scream thy last scream
vegetable man
jugland blues
lucifer sam
bike

then after that

the narrow way
atom heart mother
echoes
one of these days
time
any colour you like
obsurred by clouds

if only i had heard that stuff years ago and someone hadnt told me comfortably numb was the best song i wouldnt have got the wrong impression and thought floyd were just a stoner band. they were much more deep than that.

Date: October 23, 2020 02:57

DandelionPowderman
Not Now, John was a single, no?

It was from The Final Cut LP. I don't know if it was also released as a single.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-23 06:10 by KevinM.

Date: October 23, 2020 02:59

Big Al
KevinM, See Emily Play was a top-ten hit on the U.K. chart in 1967 and is surely well-known to any pop-fan of the day and those subsequently who are fans' of great psych-pop. It's a classic of it's time, for sure. I do understand you're not saying it isn't, of course winking smiley

Agreed. I was meaning that most people (casual Floyd fans/non PF fans) don't necessarily think of See Emily Play when they think of PF. They think of DSOTM, The Wall, then WYWH & Animals etc...the mainstream stuff.

Date: October 23, 2020 06:13

buttons67
one of the reasons i skipped over floyd for years is because i hadnt heard the pre dark side stuff, now i have and i think that is floyds best stuff.

love confortably numb and wish you were here but prefer

astronomy domine
interstellar overdrive
let there be more light
flaming
corporal clegg
arnold layne
see emily play
julia dream
careful with that axe eugene
set the controls for the heart of the sun
a saucerfull of secrets
scream thy last scream
vegetable man
jugland blues
lucifer sam
bike

then after that

the narrow way
atom heart mother
echoes
one of these days
time
any colour you like
obsurred by clouds

if only i had heard that stuff years ago and someone hadnt told me comfortably numb was the best song i wouldnt have got the wrong impression and thought floyd were just a stoner band. they were much more deep than that.

Interesting take.

How would you rank the LP's from their 1st through The Division Bell?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 24, 2020 01:33

i havent heard all studio albums right through but have heard most or some of the songs, so cant rank them as of now, but i like the first 2 albums, not heard all of the wall but animals and wish you were here are good to,

dark side of the moon is also a good one but i think a bit overrated, once ive heard all of floyds stuff i will be in a better position to rate them

love them live though, been through many youtube videos from the 60,s and 70,s, great band both in studio and live, its a pity they didnt stick it out with roger on board dor as long as the stones did.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 24, 2020 16:19

Intellect vs balls, thinkin' man's band vs feeling and emotions and guts, both are great though I prefer the Stones.

I really like David Gilmour, though.

I did see PF in Chapel Hill, NC in 1987 I think, around that time. 2 shows. No regrets but I would take the Stones over them any day of the week.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 24, 2020 20:45

StonedAsiaExile
Intellect vs balls, thinkin' man's band vs feeling and emotions and guts, both are great though I prefer the Stones.

I really like David Gilmour, though.

I did see PF in Chapel Hill, NC in 1987 I think, around that time. 2 shows. No regrets but I would take the Stones over them any day of the week.

My point of view: It is not about "thinking man's band". Instead it is first of all about experience, more or less, of weird sounds. Something which I do like.

Then I am one who adores Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd. But still I also do like MEDDLE and adore " Echoes". Apart from that, I do especially like DARK SIDE OF THE MOON and WISH YOU WERE HERE and like quite much else. However, I am quite reserved towards ANIMALS and very reserved towards THE WALL. I may sympathize with Roger Waters's wish to make THE FINAL CUT. But I can't in any way stand the outcome, I am sorry.

Addition: Pink Floyd has been a quite important band to me. Not as much as the Beatles or Joy Division / New Order, but among the next category of bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-24 20:55 by Witness.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: October 24, 2020 23:01

Pink Floyd... BORING!!!

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home