Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
pink floyd v the rolling stones
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 17, 2020 23:49

just wondering how people would compare these 2 bands, they are my favourite 2 bands with the stones top, but in the last year ive realized belatedly how brilliant pink floyd have been at times.

they both had similar problems and similarities, syd and brians demise, david gilmour steadying the ship just as mick taylor did, then gilmour becoming an integral part just as ronnie did, then gilmour and waters fall out just like jagger and richards.

but musically they were poles apart at times, stones more in your face upbeat rock and roll, pink floyd arguably more creative and mind expanding.

pink floyd are the only band that if someone thought they were better than the stones wouldnt get an argument, all other bands would, stones first as is my personal choice as i prefer that style of music but floyd in the moment had higher points than the stones reached.

2 great bands though

any opinions.

Re: pink floyd v the rolling stones
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2020 23:57

Whats next...the Stones vs. Yes?

No reason to compare or contrast Pink Floyd and Stones imo - both great bands, yet completely different.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 18, 2020 01:46

Saw both bands at Milwaukee County Stadium within a month of each other in 1975. Definitely a contrast.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 18, 2020 03:08

Not worth comparing .....

One band is body & soul music the other is head music ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 18, 2020 03:29

One is a great rock band the other makes a sunny day feel like death. I hate Pink Floyd more than jack White

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 18, 2020 04:14

Both were stadium rockers.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 18, 2020 04:23

noughties
Both were stadium rockers.

were? I didn't know The Stones stopped. Pink Floyd is sooooo boring.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 18, 2020 06:28

Saw Roger Waters a couple years ago in Vancouver - and was supposed to see last month again. An awesome show, great visual spectacle including the huge laser pyramid. However, I always thought, would I like to see him in concert in a small venue without all the special effects? Probably not. Conversely I would kill to see the Stones in a small venue like the 1000 seat Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver. Also, how many Floyd songs does the average rock fan know? Maybe 10?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 18, 2020 10:54

Pink Floyd is up there with the Beatles, Stones and Zeppelin among the biggest bands of all time. Add there Queen and U2 and we have quite an representation of incredibly famous and popular rock bands from those Isles...

Hmmm.. of those mentioned I have never thought how much I prefer one over the other (after The Stones, that is). I probably like more Pink Floyd over Zeppelin. And certainly (both) over the Beatles, Queen and U2. All great acts, for sure.

There was a time I hated Pink Floyd and anything associated to progressive rock. I was brought during the punk era, so that was the attitude I learned against anything pretentous, artsy rock music, which was just listened by old farts and hippies... Then I started to listen the Stones and black music - and Pink Floyd didn't resonate at all, because 'no swing, man...' But then I got older and older and finally I was such an old and boring fart that I realized that Pink Floyd sounds good...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-18 10:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 18, 2020 13:20

Rockman
Not worth comparing .....

Well said.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 18, 2020 15:46

it's comparing apples & oranges. 2 totally different things.

Date: October 18, 2020 16:52

-Nah, both bands are based on the blues. But Queen and U2? -Aah.., give me a break...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 18, 2020 17:02

early Pink Floyd sounded somehow like late(r) Beatles. The Stones never sounded like the Beatles – execpt on Satanic Majesty. From the latter album 2000 light years somehow sounded like Pink Floyd would sound later…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-18 17:03 by slewan.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 18, 2020 20:11

I saw Pink Floyd live in 1972 in the Amsterdam Olympic Stadium.
For sure it is a top quality band for those who like their kind of music, but I found the experience extremely boring. The only thing worth remembering was the fact that they managed to create a quadrofonic kind of sound that "caused" a wind (soundwise) going around the stadium (I was sitting in the Pit). I did see The Who too that year in Amsterdam and they were smashing. Even the performance of Deep Purple (also in Amsterdam) was much more lively!
A friend of mine was already a PF fan and at some point (I forgot the year) asked me to listen to The Wall. My goodness, depressive, very negative, and again ... boring. Also the albums of PF never touched a nerve. No, absolutely not my cup of tea.
But ... many, many years down the road I was in the USA for work and gave myself time to listen to Division Bell and ... I bought the album! I find myself occasionally listen to it in a relaxed way.
Comparing them with the Rolling Stones? Rediculous! Two different worlds. Paint it Black, not a very optimistic song, but the sound ... great. It even makes me feel happy confused smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: October 18, 2020 20:20

Rockman

Almost like indica vs sativa

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 18, 2020 22:00

U2Stonesfan
Rockman

Almost like indica vs sativa

That's a myth.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 18, 2020 22:13

2-1 to The Rolling Stones and we're playing on extra time now. Hopefully it won't go into penalties...

Date: October 18, 2020 22:24

Pink Floyd, that's David Gilmour to me. He would have been a great replacement for Mick Taylor. That's the only thought that comes to my mind as far as this subject is concerned.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 18, 2020 23:18

Pink Floyd's music is very cerebral which is fine because they invented that type of rock music; they are great musicians with long and amazing careers. I don't listen to them anymore. The Stones' music is physical, wild and fun; that is The type of noice I prefer to listen to.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 19, 2020 00:50

I like some of Floyd's music but the majority of it I find unlistenable.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: October 19, 2020 04:03

Pink Floyd sucks! What do the stones think of Pink Floyd?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 19, 2020 04:35

Pink Floyd is the ultimate headphone band.

Dark Side of the Moon carved out a whole new space in music. It's almost like it opens up a universe that you never knew existed. You are in a "space" when you really listen to that record. You are in the presence of something. I haven't listened to the whole album in decades, but the experience lives inside me.

Strangely enough, I find the song Money to be out of place on that album. Everything else is a metaphysical trip.

No comparison to the Stones.

Date: October 19, 2020 04:37

Sync it up with Wizard Of Oz
movie and ya got yaself a head trip ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 19, 2020 08:14

TheflyingDutchman
Pink Floyd, that's David Gilmour to me. He would have been a great replacement for Mick Taylor. That's the only thought that comes to my mind as far as this subject is concerned.

A very good guitar player, but I don't think so. I doubt if he had real blues/rock in his soul. And, too strong an ego. Was his clash with Roger Waters not the reason for the split of the band, not being one of the original members?
Absolutely not the man to be part of the Rolling Stones ...

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 19, 2020 08:45

I like icecream
And I like a strong peace of meat

Date: October 19, 2020 08:56

That's what Rupa tells me ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 19, 2020 12:05

if Pink Floyd wins then I'm taking the next flight to Canada. smiling smiley

Date: October 19, 2020 12:08

I have never liked "Money".

Date: October 19, 2020 13:24

noughties

Pink Floyd's or the Stones's "Money"? winking smiley

Date: October 19, 2020 13:37

noughties

Frankly the one I liked most. It's a 7/4 .

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home