Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...& the ones you missed.
Date: October 26, 2020 13:35

The most important to me:

Rolling Stones, Rotterdam 1973

Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jazz Bilzen, Belgium 1975

Jack Bruce band with Mick Taylor, Pinkpop 1975

Rolling Stones, the Hague, 1976

Julian Bream, conservatorium Brussels, 1978

Level 42, Geleen, Holland, 1979

ABBA, Brussels, 1979

Brecker Brothers North sea Jazz , 1981

John Mc Laughlin,Al Dimeola Paco de Lucia, 1981

King Crimson,Nijmegen, Holland, 1984

Paco de Lucia & John McLaughlin, Luxemburg, 1985

Steps Ahead, Dizzy Gillespy, John Mc Laughlin, John Schofield, North Sea Jazz 1986.

Mahavishnu Orchestra. Cologne, Germany, 1986.

Allan Holdsworth, FrankfurterMesse Germany, 1987

Jeff Beck, Terry Bozzio & Tony Hymass, Utrecht 1989 (?)

Mick Taylor & Band, Amstelveen, 1996.

Bjork, Utrecht 1997 (?)

David Bowie, Utrecht 1998(?)

Pat Metheny, Eindhoven, 2011

Allan Holdsworth, Zoetermeer 2012

Larry Coreyell, Amsterdam 2013.

Jeff Beck, Utrecht 2015.

I missed John mcLaughlin on the North Sea this year, due to the pandemic.

Re: OT: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...& the ones you missed.
Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 27, 2020 00:40

It's been incredibly fun and awe-inspiring reading some of the shows you guys have been to all over the world through the decades. Here's most of mine:

Rolling Stones (24), Keith (3), New Barbarians, Mick Taylor band (3)

Some Stones' opening acts: Peter Tosh, Kansas, George Thoroughgood, Pretenders, Toots and the Maytals, Buddy Guy, Living Colour, Lenny Kravitz, Cranberries

Jeff Beck, Clapton (2: 1978, 1983 w/ Roger Waters), Jimmy Page (2:w/Coverdale, Black Crowes)

Pink Floyd (3, post-Rog), David Gilmour, Roger Waters (8), Nick Mason

Yes (4), Jon Anderson, Genesis (3), Peter Gabriel (4), Steve Hackett, GTR, Asia, King Crimson, Greg Lake, Adrian Belew, Zappa, Rush, Tool

CSN, CSNY, Neil Young (16), Dylan, Donovan, The Band, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia, Hot Tuna, Little Feat, Bruce Cockburn

The Who (3), Aerosmith, Van Halen, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult, Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, Black Crowes (5), Allman Bros., Golden Earring, Cars, Cheap Trick

Pixies (4), Breeders, Cocteau Twins, Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Morrissey (5), Swervedriver (5), Royal Trux, Rollins Band, Magnetic Fields, A Perfect Circle (3), Helmet, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Cure, Coldplay

Patti Smith (3), Lou Reed (3), Laurie Anderson, Todd Rundgren (7), Suzanne Vega, Flaming Lips, Gary Numan, The Tubes

Public Enemy, Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcracy, Tom Morello, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru

Kraftwerk (3)

MISSED: The first concert I had tickets for in 1977 was Zeppelin. Due to band tragedy, the last few gigs of the '77 US tour were cancelled. Still sighing 40+ years later, haha....(but it's made me a better blues guitarist).

Of the bands that toured after 1978, the ones that come to mind that I should have made the effort to see, although some barely toured or didn't come within 150 miles of me, would be: Steely Dan, AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, Bill Nelson (BeBop Deluxe), Alan Holdsworth, Robin Trower and Leon Russell.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 27, 2020 02:59

winter
It's been incredibly fun and awe-inspiring reading some of the shows you guys have been to all over the world through the decades. Here's most of mine:

Rolling Stones (24), Keith (3), New Barbarians, Mick Taylor band (3)

Some Stones' opening acts: Peter Tosh, Kansas, George Thoroughgood, Pretenders, Toots and the Maytals, Buddy Guy, Living Colour, Lenny Kravitz, Cranberries

Jeff Beck, Clapton (2: 1978, 1983 w/ Roger Waters), Jimmy Page (2:w/Coverdale, Black Crowes)

Pink Floyd (3, post-Rog), David Gilmour, Roger Waters (8), Nick Mason

Yes (4), Jon Anderson, Genesis (3), Peter Gabriel (4), Steve Hackett, GTR, Asia, King Crimson, Greg Lake, Adrian Belew, Zappa, Rush, Tool

CSN, CSNY, Neil Young (16), Dylan, Donovan, The Band, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia, Hot Tuna, Little Feat, Bruce Cockburn

The Who (3), Aerosmith, Van Halen, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult, Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, Black Crowes (5), Allman Bros., Golden Earring, Cars, Cheap Trick

Pixies (4), Breeders, Cocteau Twins, Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Morrissey (5), Swervedriver (5), Royal Trux, Rollins Band, Magnetic Fields, A Perfect Circle (3), Helmet, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Cure, Coldplay

Patti Smith (3), Lou Reed (3), Laurie Anderson, Todd Rundgren (7), Suzanne Vega, Flaming Lips, Gary Numan, The Tubes

Public Enemy, Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcracy, Tom Morello, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru

Kraftwerk (3)

MISSED: The first concert I had tickets for in 1977 was Zeppelin. Due to band tragedy, the last few gigs of the '77 US tour were cancelled. Still sighing 40+ years later, haha....(but it's made me a better blues guitarist).

Of the bands that toured after 1978, the ones that come to mind that I should have made the effort to see, although some barely toured or didn't come within 150 miles of me, would be: Steely Dan, AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, Bill Nelson (BeBop Deluxe), Alan Holdsworth, Robin Trower and Leon Russell.

@winter

thumbs up Yes 4x ...from '71's The Yes Album through '79's Tormato...7 Great albums in a row. Very few bands could match that...Led Zep, Stones & Beatles, Rush probably, maybe The Who. HM to Drama in '80 w/o Jon.

What years did you see them?

Going For The One Sessions - pt.1

Gong For The One Sessions - pt.2

Going For The One - pt.3

What are your thougths on Tales From Topographic Oceans, Close To The Edge, Relayer & Tormato LP's? Thanks in advance for the feedback, I look forward to it.

Date: October 27, 2020 03:05

TheflyingDutchman
The most important to me:

Rolling Stones, Rotterdam 1973

Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jazz Bilzen, Belgium 1975

Jack Bruce band with Mick Taylor, Pinkpop 1975

Rolling Stones, the Hague, 1976

Julian Bream, conservatorium Brussels, 1978

Level 42, Geleen, Holland, 1979

ABBA, Brussels, 1979

Brecker Brothers North sea Jazz , 1981

John Mc Laughlin,Al Dimeola Paco de Lucia, 1981

King Crimson,Nijmegen, Holland, 1984

Paco de Lucia & John McLaughlin, Luxemburg, 1985

Steps Ahead, Dizzy Gillespy, John Mc Laughlin, John Schofield, North Sea Jazz 1986.

Mahavishnu Orchestra. Cologne, Germany, 1986.

Allan Holdsworth, FrankfurterMesse Germany, 1987

Jeff Beck, Terry Bozzio & Tony Hymass, Utrecht 1989 (?)

Mick Taylor & Band, Amstelveen, 1996.

Bjork, Utrecht 1997 (?)

David Bowie, Utrecht 1998(?)

Pat Metheny, Eindhoven, 2011

Allan Holdsworth, Zoetermeer 2012

Larry Coreyell, Amsterdam 2013.

Jeff Beck, Utrecht 2015.

I missed John mcLaughlin on the North Sea this year, due to the pandemic.

@ TheflyingDutchman

ABBA 1979 Agnetha has one of the best female voices in R&R. Fun Fact: they wore crazy costumes b/c it was a tax write off in Sweden to do so.

King Crimson, Nijmegen, Holland, 1984...did they play any '73-'74 Jon Wetton era stuff, or just the newer stuff?

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 27, 2020 04:27

Ronnierocks
I only knew a couple of songs in advance from "born to run".
I was only 16 and would and see pretty much everything at that venue.
When I see Bruce live now, I always think he looks better than when he played Hammersmith Odeon in 1975.

He might look better now, but he damn sure doesn't play better now.
That Hammersmith recording might be the best live show ever.
That, and Elvis' '68 Comeback Special.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: October 27, 2020 06:00

Chester
Ronnierocks
When I see Bruce live now, I always think he looks better than when he played Hammersmith Odeon in 1975.

I thought it was a known fact that Bruce Springsteen's
looks and playing peaked around 1978. All you have to
do is get a hold of "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" and
check out the cover for his looks, and check out the
music for his playing.

It was 1977 to 1980 when he was giving The Rolling Stones
a run for their money on "greatest rock and roll band in the world".
Particularly the 3 masterpieces: "Born To Run", "The River", and
"Darkness On The Edge Of Town".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 06:11 by Chacho.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 27, 2020 12:02

The one I miss most : The Allman Brothers Band

The Allmans were announced for a concert in Montreux, Switzerland, on April 25, 1970, together with dutch band The Ekseption and Jerry Goodman's The Flock.

I was hardly 16 year old then. I bought a ticket, rode to Montreux with my elder sister and her friends and the Allmans didn't show up. Instead we got Ashton Gardner and Dyke.

Still a good concert, but ...

Resotele

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 27, 2020 12:29

Chester
Ronnierocks

Funnily enough, I was watching clips of Bruce's Hammersmith performance on YouTube recently: I did observe his appearance. So scrawny, dirty-looking; and what was with the terrible bum-fluff around his face? Cosmetically, he most definitely looks better now. Of course, I'm sure he's now far, far more health-conscious; and let's not pretend he hasn't had a 'little something' done with to the forehead!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 28, 2020 05:26

KevinM

thumbs up Yes 4x ...from '71's The Yes Album through '79's Tormato...7 Great albums in a row. Very few bands could match that...Led Zep, Stones & Beatles, Rush probably, maybe The Who. HM to Drama in '80 w/o Jon.

What are your thougths on Tales From Topographic Oceans, Close To The Edge, Relayer & Tormato LP's? Thanks in advance for the feedback, I look forward to it.

KevinM, I saw Yes in 1979, '80, '84 (Rabin) and circa 2010 (Benoit, Oliver Wakeman).

To me, the ultimate Yes album is the live 1973 live album Yessongs. The songs from the Yes album and Fragile breathe more and have a fuller drum sound than their studio counterparts and the performances of the 3 Close to the Edge (CTTE) songs are brilliant. Where the eff did some of this music come from? Bavarian-style Mellotron horns into tribal rhythms into 3-part harmonies. Syncopated odd meter crunch into solo classical piano into echoed volume swells ambience from a lap steel slide guitar. Etc., etc. Pretty amazing what they came up with.

That said, I like those few albums (Yes album thru Relayer), and don't mind 90125 and Drama, but I never got around to listening to anything after 90125. Going has some good songs but I don't feel it ranks with their 3 'classics' (Yes, Fragile, CTTE). Not a fan of Tormato, and believe that Relayer is underrated. And I love Nous Sommes Du Soleil but think they were a little (or a lot, haha) too indulgent on Tales.

Cheers! -Winter

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 28, 2020 05:57

Seen so many. Pretty lucky.
I would have loved to have seen The Kinks
early 70's through the rest of their Run. But never did.
Most all of my other faves I've seen at least once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-28 05:58 by hopkins.

Date: October 28, 2020 06:07

winter
KevinM

KevinM, I saw Yes in 1979, '80, '84 (Rabin) and circa 2010 (Benoit, Oliver Wakeman).

To me, the ultimate Yes album is the live 1973 live album Yessongs. The songs from the Yes album and Fragile breathe more and have a fuller drum sound than their studio counterparts and the performances of the 3 Close to the Edge (CTTE) songs are brilliant. Where the eff did some of this music come from? Bavarian-style Mellotron horns into tribal rhythms into 3-part harmonies. Syncopated odd meter crunch into solo classical piano into echoed volume swells ambience from a lap steel slide guitar. Etc., etc. Pretty amazing what they came up with.

That said, I like those few albums (Yes album thru Relayer), and don't mind 90125 and Drama, but I never got around to listening to anything after 90125. Going has some good songs but I don't feel it ranks with their 3 'classics' (Yes, Fragile, CTTE). Not a fan of Tormato, and believe that Relayer is underrated. And I love Nous Sommes Du Soleil but think they were a little (or a lot, haha) too indulgent on Tales.

Cheers! -Winter

@winter

Check out YesShows the other live LP, if you haven't already. It's got more of the pre-1980/good stuff. I stopped listening to anything after Drama '80, save but a few 90125 tracks that were overplayed on the radio at the time.

YesShows cd1

YesShows cd2

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2192
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home