Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...and the ones you missed.
Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 19, 2020 15:58

Valeswood
Too many really but the main ones:-

1. AC/DC x5 - 1980, 1981, 1982, 2015, 2016
2. ARMS Benefit 1983
3. David Bowie x2 – 1983, 1987
4. The Clash 1981
5. Concert for George 2002
6. Bob Dylan x6 – 1984, 1987, 1989, 2005, 2017, 2019
7. Deep Purple (Mark II) - 1987
8. Eagles x3 – 1996, 2001, 2014
9. Eric Clapton x5 – 1983 (twice), 1985, 1989, 2001
10. Fleetwood Mac x2 – 2013, 2014
11. Genesis x6 – 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1987, 1998
12. Mick Jagger (Celebration of the Blues) 1992
13. Led Zeppelin 1979
14. Paul McCartney x4 – 1990, 2003, 2009, 2018
15. New Barbarians 1979
16. Pink Floyd x4 – 1981, 1988, 1989, 1994
17. Queen x3 – 1982, 1984, 1986
18. Rolling Stones x28 – 1982, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2018
19. Six of the Best (Genesis with Peter Gabriel) 1982
20. Slade x5 – 1980, 1981 (twice), 1982 (twice)
21. Bruce Springsteen x11 – 1981, 1985 (twice), 1988 (twice), 1993, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2013, 2016
22. Status Quo x8 – 1979, 1986, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
23. U2 x2 – (the last band I had to tick off my list) – 2015, 2017
24. The Who x18 – 1981 (twice), 1982, 1989, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015 (twice), 2017, 2020
25.Ron Wood x2 – 2010, 2019
26. Neil Young x12 – 1982 (twice), 1987 (twice), 1989, 1993, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2013, 2016, 2019

Missed

AC/DC with Bon Scott – to be fair I didn’t know about them at the time but they played my hometown

George Harrison – I only had one opportunity in 1992 but only heard about it on the news after the event but I feel I have seen him in spirit at the Concert for George.

CSNY – Haven’t played the UK since 1974

Keith and the Winos 1992 – Birth of first child prevented me going!

Should’ve asked the missus to hold off a day or two! Lol

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 19, 2020 16:16

StonedAsiaExile

You're right!!

Re: OT: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...& the ones you missed.
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 19, 2020 16:41

I tried to record the list of acts I've seen using setlist.fm, but I can hardly rememember any!

Stones aside, the best I can remember were Prince sign of the times in 87, Tin Machine (Bowie) 91, Cat POwer 08

Biggets regrets are mainly tied to the music I loved whwn I was in my early teens and that I couldn't see at the time because I was too young and couldn't catch up later because sh@it happens!

The list is incredible: Clash, Queen, Stones 82, Bob Marley, Inxs just to name a few.

A part from that I still do not know how I was able to miss Keith's solo tour in Europe. I didn't even know he was touring Europe!!!

Ah, Amy Winehouse, of course ...

C

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 19, 2020 20:58

Valeswood
StonedAsiaExile

You're right!!

Or, just bring her to the show. What better intro to the world than 50K cheering fans & the greatest R&R band in the world! It'd make for a great story. grinning smiley

Re: OT: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...& the ones you missed.
Date: October 19, 2020 21:06

ChrisL
DaveG
FancyBluesMan
Hello Chris...

Don't want to hijack the thread but since you brought up Lajoie and Hartnett, I thought I'd mention ex-Brooklyn/LA Dodger pitcher Clem Labine, who was born in Lincoln, RI, but grew up in Woonsocket. My Dad, who spent some time in the minor leagues (Cardinals), had played some ball with Clem.

After Clem retired from baseball, he returned to Woonsocket where he worked for a local athletic apparel manufacturer. He was also a regular customer of my Dad, a tailor, and I got to meet him on a couple of occasions.

Wow, I was 8 years old when the Dodgers moved to LA. I can still hear Vin Scully calling the games with Jerry Dogget, and learning about the team, including pitchers Clem Labine, Danny McDevitt, Johnny Podres, Stan Williams, Drysdale, Koufax, et al. I haven’t heard Clem’s name mentioned in years.

Great stuff. I read somewhere, can't remember where, I think an old Dodger lamented the fact that Clem wasn't brought in to pitch late in the final playoff game in 1951. Clem had pitched earlier in the series, so they were worried about his arm, but he apparently had a rubber arm. Instead, the Dodgers stayed with Ralph Branca and Bobby hit the Shot Heard Round the World.
There was also Chet Nichols and Chet Jr. Both major leaguers from Lincoln and Pawtucket.

Sorry KevinM, but we love your thread!

No worries @ChirsL. Organic tangents are fine, it doesn't bother me. Now if you have some good NHL or just pro/semi-pro hockey stories that'd be great...we should make an Hockey/NHL thread (there was one for the playoffs).

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: October 19, 2020 22:07

KevinM
ChrisL
DaveG
FancyBluesMan
Hello Chris...

Don't want to hijack the thread but since you brought up Lajoie and Hartnett, I thought I'd mention ex-Brooklyn/LA Dodger pitcher Clem Labine, who was born in Lincoln, RI, but grew up in Woonsocket. My Dad, who spent some time in the minor leagues (Cardinals), had played some ball with Clem.

After Clem retired from baseball, he returned to Woonsocket where he worked for a local athletic apparel manufacturer. He was also a regular customer of my Dad, a tailor, and I got to meet him on a couple of occasions.

Wow, I was 8 years old when the Dodgers moved to LA. I can still hear Vin Scully calling the games with Jerry Dogget, and learning about the team, including pitchers Clem Labine, Danny McDevitt, Johnny Podres, Stan Williams, Drysdale, Koufax, et al. I haven’t heard Clem’s name mentioned in years.

Great stuff. I read somewhere, can't remember where, I think an old Dodger lamented the fact that Clem wasn't brought in to pitch late in the final playoff game in 1951. Clem had pitched earlier in the series, so they were worried about his arm, but he apparently had a rubber arm. Instead, the Dodgers stayed with Ralph Branca and Bobby hit the Shot Heard Round the World.
There was also Chet Nichols and Chet Jr. Both major leaguers from Lincoln and Pawtucket.

No worries @ChirsL. Organic tangents are fine, it doesn't bother me. Now if you have some good NHL or just pro/semi-pro hockey stories that'd be great...we should make an Hockey/NHL thread (there was one for the playoffs).

smiling smiley
I mentiond two hockey items. My brother was teammates with longtime NHL player Keith Carney when they were 9 or 10. And I saw an old-timers Bruins game at that same local arena.
I also got Phil Esposito’s autograph while he was warming up for an exhibition game at the Civic Center. He was on the Rangers then, but my brothers and I were hanging on the glass screaming for him every time he circled by.
Rhode Island is also the home of the first American ever to be drafted No. 1 in the NHL, Brian Lawton. (Or at least he went to high school in Woonsocket).
Hockey is actually Rhode Island’s best sport, though its greatest athletes were Hugh Duffy and Nap Lajoie, who still hold the record for highest single-season batting average in each league, and Les Pawson, a three-time Boston Marathon champion.
Of course Charlie “Old Hoss” Radbourne won 59 (or 60, depending on which version of history you believe) games as a pitcher for Providence Grays of the National League in 1884 and won the first World Series against the New York Metropolitans of the American Association.
(I hope I got all this stuff right!)

Date: October 19, 2020 22:28

ChrisL
KevinM
ChrisL
DaveG
FancyBluesMan
Hello Chris...

smiling smiley
I mentiond two hockey items. My brother was teammates with longtime NHL player Keith Carney when they were 9 or 10. And I saw an old-timers Bruins game at that same local arena.
I also got Phil Esposito’s autograph while he was warming up for an exhibition game at the Civic Center. He was on the Rangers then, but my brothers and I were hanging on the glass screaming for him every time he circled by.
Rhode Island is also the home of the first American ever to be drafted No. 1 in the NHL, Brian Lawton. (Or at least he went to high school in Woonsocket).
Hockey is actually Rhode Island’s best sport, though its greatest athletes were Hugh Duffy and Nap Lajoie, who still hold the record for highest single-season batting average in each league, and Les Pawson, a three-time Boston Marathon champion.
Of course Charlie “Old Hoss” Radbourne won 59 (or 60, depending on which version of history you believe) games as a pitcher for Providence Grays of the National League in 1884 and won the first World Series against the New York Metropolitans of the American Association.
(I hope I got all this stuff right!)

Yes, I saw the Keith Carney mention earlier. Phil Espo, Wow! I got my picture taken with the Stanley Cup in '02 during the finals. It was held at Sears & the line was 2-3 hours, but well worth it. My mom taught John Tonelli's kid(s), Dave DeBuscherre's kids, Eddie Maple's (horse jockey)...I went to school with the latter 2. In '97 we went to Greensboro, NC to see the NY Rangers in exhibition vs. the Hurricanes (their home arena wasn't complete yet) & the place was pretty empty. We went to see Gretzky, unfortunately he didn't play. Andrew Cassels sat right behind us, but all he did was tout his (young) buddy Jeff O'Neill.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: October 19, 2020 22:44

Very interesting thread, thanks to the OP!

Personally, I like to combine concerts with small or larger travel. Enjoy my favourite music with leisure time and being curious about other cities, countries, culture and most of all people.

Some of the concerts by my Top Five artists have been these:

Rolling Stones in Chile (Santiago), Argentina (La Plata), Brazil (Copacabana) and France (Marseille and Paris).
Bob Dylan in Denmark (Opera Copenhague), Austria (Viena), Italy (Milano) and Switzerland (Locarno).
Roger Waters in the United States (Boston) and Italy (Rome).
David Gilmour in Croatia (Pula), Italy (Rome) and France (Nimes).
Manu Chao in Argentina (Rosario) and France (Nimes).

The bands/artists I would have loved to see but missed out are the following, almost all of them because of being born too late:

The original Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Toots and the Maytalls
The Doors
Eric Clapton (will hopefully see him next june in Zurich!)
Van Morrison (will hopefully see him next july in Stuttgart!)
Dire Straits

Eitherway I feel happy and thankful for all those terrific experiences!

Date: October 19, 2020 23:10

KevinM

Yes, I saw the Keith Carney mention earlier. Phil Espo, Wow! I got my picture taken with the Stanley Cup in '02 during the finals. It was held at Sears & the line was 2-3 hours, but well worth it. My mom taught John Tonelli's kid(s), Dave DeBuscherre's kids, Eddie Maple's (horse jockey)...I went to school with the latter 2. In '97 we went to Greensboro, NC to see the NY Rangers in exhibition vs. the Hurricanes (their home arena wasn't complete yet) & the place was pretty empty. We went to see Gretzky, unfortunately he didn't play. Andrew Cassels sat right behind us, but all he did was tout his (young) buddy Jeff O'Neill.

Great stuff KevinM!

Date: October 19, 2020 23:15

I’m watching Quadrophenia right now and Green Onions is playing at the bar and I just thought of a couple more artists I saw ...

Booker T., Steve Cropper, the Animals (with only the drummer as an original), Seun Kuti and Africa 80, Jimmy Vaughan, the Blushing Brides (doing their Stones covers), Stelios Vamvakaris in a tribute to Markos Vamvakaris.
I also forget to mention Charlie Watts in the ABC&D of Boogie Woogie.

And Billy Preston! I saw him at a club in LA. My friends and I were taking a Jazz, Ragtime and Blues class and we went to a club to see an act and write a story. Turned out to be Billy that night, and we asked for the student discount and they said not for that night. We pleaded and they agreed.
After the show, I asked if we could go in the dressing room to meet him. After some more innocent looking pleading, they let us in, so we chatted with him for a few minutes.
My cousin always had this autograph from Bobby Orr from after he left the Bruins and had asked Bobby to write, “PS I live the Bs,” and Bobby did it.
So I asked Billy for his autograph and asked him to write, “PS I Love the Stones.”
He did it!
I have a picture of it on my phone but I have no idea how to post pictures on this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-19 23:22 by ChrisL.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: October 20, 2020 00:21

woodstock - concert for Bangladesh 1st. time seeing George Ringo & Dylan- Live aid- Stones ALOT 69msg-2019metlife- expensive winos-beacon- barbarians msg- Dylan-many times- led zepellin- black crowes w jimmy page- cream- blind faith- cream reunion- Doors msg.- felt forum late show - wild affair! Hendrix newark 1968- new years eve-fillmore east & msg Johnny Winter and-fillmore east Allman Bothers same night- csn- csny- & neil young bb king- albert king- rod stewart with ronnie- grateful dead- tom petty- santana- bonnie delaney & eric- sly stone's wedding msg- dr. john- john fogerty- david byrne on broadway much more! but i'm done. thanks.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 20, 2020 00:23

Good Thread! Ones i have seen i would be writing for Months...Missed James Brown 2x Thought i would catch him next time it was not to be Prague 2004 and 2006....Leonard Cohen 3x did the same 2x Prague and one in Bratislava...After that i swore never again will i miss out on something i would like to go to.....Overjoyed i got to see Toots and the Maytals just over 2 Year's ago Many others but that was most recently...Be well Peace.M

Date: October 20, 2020 02:36

calipachangero
Very interesting thread, thanks to the OP!

Personally, I like to combine concerts with small or larger travel. Enjoy my favourite music with leisure time and being curious about other cities, countries, culture and most of all people.

Some of the concerts by my Top Five artists have been these:

Rolling Stones in Chile (Santiago), Argentina (La Plata), Brazil (Copacabana) and France (Marseille and Paris).
Bob Dylan in Denmark (Opera Copenhague), Austria (Viena), Italy (Milano) and Switzerland (Locarno).
Roger Waters in the United States (Boston) and Italy (Rome).
David Gilmour in Croatia (Pula), Italy (Rome) and France (Nimes).
Manu Chao in Argentina (Rosario) and France (Nimes).

The bands/artists I would have loved to see but missed out are the following, almost all of them because of being born too late:

The original Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Toots and the Maytalls
The Doors
Eric Clapton (will hopefully see him next june in Zurich!)
Van Morrison (will hopefully see him next july in Stuttgart!)
Dire Straits

Eitherway I feel happy and thankful for all those terrific experiences!

@calipachangero

I'm glad you got to see your favorites in exotic locations etc. On that note, would your family like to adopt a 49yr. old house-broken male (7+ in Dog Years). Loves R&R music, the beach, motorcycles, good food. You can adopt him for free & he can help with the driving/luggage etc. (Asking for a friend, I know a guy) hahahaha! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outgrinning smiley

Date: October 20, 2020 02:43

mrjones
woodstock - concert for Bangladesh 1st. time seeing George Ringo & Dylan- Live aid- Stones ALOT 69msg-2019metlife- expensive winos-beacon- barbarians msg- Dylan-many times- led zepellin- black crowes w jimmy page- cream- blind faith- cream reunion- Doors msg.- felt forum late show - wild affair! Hendrix newark 1968- new years eve-fillmore east & msg Johnny Winter and-fillmore east Allman Bothers same night- csn- csny- & neil young bb king- albert king- rod stewart with ronnie- grateful dead- tom petty- santana- bonnie delaney & eric- sly stone's wedding msg- dr. john- john fogerty- david byrne on broadway much more! but i'm done. thanks.

@mrjones

concert for Bangladesh, you're a part of history!...RIP Sir George.

Hendrix 4x, including Woodstock. Absolutely Priceless!!

Led Zep / The Doors / BB King /cream- blind faith- cream reunion- So very blessed.

Date: October 20, 2020 05:02

KevinM
mrjones

@mrjones

concert for Bangladesh, you're a part of history!...RIP Sir George.

Hendrix 4x, including Woodstock. Absolutely Priceless!!

Led Zep / The Doors / BB King /cream- blind faith- cream reunion- So very blessed.
Hey thanks KevinM. Actually didn't see Hendrix at woodstock-not many people did. He didn't play till mon. a.m. around 10. we left about2a.m. had been there since thurs a.m. we were burned out! also had to be at work in NYC at 8! still regret it though.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: October 20, 2020 05:23

KevinM
Chacho
I don't know about the concerts I missed, but I can list the ones of any importance that I attended as follows:

1. The Rolling Stones: Moby Gym Arena, Fort Collins Colo, 11-7-1969
-- The Rolling Stones: Denver Coliseum, Denver Colo, 6-16-1972
-- The Rolling Stones: Cotton Bowl, Dallas Texas, 7-6-1975
-- The Rolling Stones: Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia PA, 9-26-1981
2. Muddy Waters: The Stanhope House, Stanhope NJ, 3-25-1981
3. Grateful Dead: Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley CA, 8-14-1971
-- Grateful Dead: Boulder Colorado, Summer of 1970
4. Bruce Springsteen: Madison Square Garden, NYC, 8-21-1978
-- Bruce Springsteen: Madison Sqiare Garden, NYC, 11-28-1980
5. Johnny Cash: Moby Gym Arena, Fort Collins Colorado, 5-13-1970
6. Willie Nelson: Huguenot NY, date unknown 1997 to 1999
7. Johnny Winter: Central Park, NYC, 7-27-1980
-- Johnny Winter: Pier 84, Manhattan NY, 8-19-1981
8. Stevie Ray Vaughan: The Chance, Poughkeepsie NY, 4-28-1984
9. Jefferson Airplane: Boulder Colorado, Spring of 1970
10. The Who: Madison Square Garden, NYC, 6-16-1979
11. Stevie Wonder: Denver Coliseum, Denver Colorado, 6-16-1972
12. Leon Russel: Huguenot, NY, date unknown 1997 to 1999

Note that I am skipping literally 100s of concerts of little importance, and listing the ones above proved to be a daunting task.

@Chacho

Still though, you got to see Mick Taylor in his "rookie" year. +3 more prime era Stones shows, 70's Who & SRV, good stuff.

Yeah...I guess it is not only "How Many?" and "Who", but also "When?", and "Where?".

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 20, 2020 10:57

Looking at some of our lists ...

There aren't many reasons for the youngsters to be jealous of us old buggers...

...but this is certainly one grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 20, 2020 12:12

slewan
just the ones that come to my mind at the moment/no particular order

155x Bob Dylan

Is that a typo? That is insane.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: October 20, 2020 16:18

Just for you KevinM...a concert/hockey story:

Saw Elton John, at the insistence of my then-girlfriend (was never a fan of his...nor her as it eventually turned out), at the Boston Garden in September 1973. Had to travel to Boston on a Saturday morning in order to buy tickets when they went on sale and those of us waiting in line were ushered into the Garden itself prior to the ticket windows opening.

After a short while, lo and behold, the Bruins stepped onto the ice for a practice session. What an unexpected treat! Esposito, Hodge, Cashman, Bucyk, O'Rielly, Sanderson, et al. Was the only time I had the opportunity to see Bobby Orr in person. To this day, I regard him to be the best player I ever saw.

As an aside, John brought Stevie Wonder onstage during his encore and the crowd was delirious, as Wonder had been seriously injured...and in a coma for ten days...as the result of a near-fatal car accident a mere seven weeks prior. Their song choice? 'Honky Tonk Women'...with a little bit of 'Superstition' thrown in for good measure.

Date: October 20, 2020 16:46

FancyBluesMan

Saw Elton John, at the insistence of my then-girlfriend (was never a fan of his...nor her as it eventually turned out), at the Boston Garden in September 1973. Had to travel to Boston on a Saturday morning in order to buy tickets when they went on sale and those of us waiting in line were ushered into the Garden itself prior to the ticket windows opening.

After a short while, lo and behold, the Bruins stepped onto the ice for a practice session. What an unexpected treat! Esposito, Hodge, Cashman, Bucyk, O'Rielly, Sanderson, et al. Was the only time I had the opportunity to see Bobby Orr in person. To this day, I regard him to be the best player I ever saw.

As an aside, John brought Stevie Wonder onstage during his encore and the crowd was delirious, as Wonder had been seriously injured...and in a coma for ten days...as the result of a near-fatal car accident a mere seven weeks prior. Their song choice? 'Honky Tonk Women'...with a little bit of 'Superstition' thrown in for good measure.

Wow, what a great story! Thanks.
I met Derek Sanderson once, in his sober days after cleaning up. We had a nice chat.

Date: October 20, 2020 23:36

FancyBluesMan

@FancyManBlues

Great story, thanks for sharing.

'73 coming off of 2 of a possible 3 Stanley Cups, you couldn't have picked a better time to see them, that was their peak. You'd like Pavel Datsyuk highlight videos too.

Agreed about EJ, I really only like 1 song 'Funeral For A Friend' (the instrumentals, not the lyrics or theme). Lennon/Plastic Ono Band performed w/EJ as a guest in the 70's a few times, I always thought John could've picked someone else, other than EJ & Yoko for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-20 23:38 by KevinM.

Date: October 20, 2020 23:40

ChrisL
FancyBluesMan

Wow, what a great story! Thanks.
I met Derek Sanderson once, in his sober days after cleaning up. We had a nice chat.

Derek's grandson is Jake Sanderson (son of NHL'er Geoff S.). He was just selected 5th overall by the Ottawa Senators in the '20 draft.

Jake Sanderson

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 21, 2020 00:50

Too many to list and I've got most of the stubs in plastic baseball card type pages in a binder, but highlights that come to mind

Rolling Stones x22 (1989-2019):
including great seats/memories at -

7th Row - February 15, 1999 @ Target Center, Minneapolis, MN.

G/A three people back from stage - September 16, 2002 @ The Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL. (w/ Dr. John, Shemekia Copeland and surprise guest Bono on "IORR")

5th Row - September 13, 2002 @ Comiskey Park, Chicago, IL (w/ a Rambler encore!)

David Bowie - Milwaukee, WI. 2004, 4th row.

Bob Dylan (1998 w/ Joni Mitchell @ United Center, Chicago, IL, 1999 w/ Paul Simon @ Tinley Park, IL, 2002 @ Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN, 2005 @ Paramount Theatre, Seattle, WA)

Wilco (Lots between 1998-2017 but Madison, WI 2002 near front...outstanding)

Paul McCartney (Minneapolis, 1993)

Neil Young (1999 @ Rosemont Theatre, Rosemont, IL, 2000 @ Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI)

Lou Reed (2009 @ Lollapalooza, Chicago, IL)

Paul Simon (1991 @ Target Center, Minneapolis, MN.)

Tom Petty, The Who, Natalie Merchant, Beck, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Garbage, Stevie Wonder, My Morning Jacket, Phish, Yo La Tengo, Santana, Foo Fighters, Robert Cray, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cat Power, The Jayhawks, Buddy Guy, David Byrne, The Band (minus Robbie), The Dead (minus Jerry), U2, Willie Nelson, Neko Case, B.B. King, The Eels, John Legend....my head is starting to hurt! I'd have to refer to the stubs book. cool smiley

As for missed shows/opportunities...

Grateful Dead (with Jerry)
Prince
Van Morrison
Johnny Cash
Nirvana
Jack White
PJ Harvey
Fiona Apple

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 21, 2020 03:04

I am having trouble just remembering who all I’ve seen, let alone when and where!

Of course, the Stones many many many many many many times. For everybody else, most just once, or maybe 2 or 3 times. My obsession has been the Stones.

First concert ever was Steppenwolf at the old Civic Center in Philadelphia.

All the artists at Live Aid in Philadelphia in 1985.

All the opening acts for the Stones over the years, including Stevie Wonder, the Commodores, Red Hot Chili Peppers, George Thorogood, Billy Preston, Living Colour, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Foreigner, Foo Fighters, to name a few.

In no particular order: Neil Young, Buddy Guy, Willie Nelson, Macca, Springsteen, U2, Aerosmith, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Ringo Starr & his Allstar Band, B-52s, Chris Isaak, John Fogerty, the Radiators (at Tipitina’s in New Orleans), BB King, Tom Petty, Los Lonely Boys, Joe Cocker, Bad Company, The Temptations, Linda Ronstadt, Dan Fogelberg, Roger Waters, Jesse Cook, The Who, Liza Minnelli (took my mom), Robert Plant, Sheila E, Four Tops, Eagles, John Mellencamp, X-Pensive Winos, Sting, Todo Mundo, Bob Dylan. That’s what I can remember off the top of my head. I’m sure I’ve missed some.

Regrets that I never saw: Aretha Franklin and Queen.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 21, 2020 05:04

On January 31, 1959, my parents went on a date to a show at the Duluth (Mn.) Armory, where they saw Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. Three days later, of course, they died in a plane crash (the performers, not my parents).

Also in attendance at that show was Bob Zimmerman from Hibbing Mn., so inspired, legend has it, that he picked up a guitar and changed his name to Bob Dylan. He mentioned the show at the 1998 Grammy Awards when he received Album of the Year for "Time Out of Mind."

"I just want to say that when I was 16 or 17 years old, I went to see Buddy Holly play at Duluth National Guard Armory and I was three feet away from him… and he looked at me. And I just have some kind of feeling that he was – I don’t know how or why – but I know he was with us all the time we were making this record in some kind of way."

In April 1977, my parents took me to see Elvis at the Duluth (Mn.) Arena, four months before he died. I was in fifth grade. I'm 54 now, and still don't know anyone else who has seen him.

In June 2015, when my daughter was in fifth grade, I took her to see the Stones in Orlando and hopefully she will be writing about it on some message board when she is 54.

Date: October 21, 2020 05:12

floodonthepage
Too many to list and I've got most of the stubs in plastic baseball card type pages in a binder, but highlights that come to mind

G/A three people back from stage - September 16, 2002 @ The Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL. (w/ Dr. John, Shemekia Copeland and surprise guest Bono on "IORR")

5th Row - September 13, 2002 @ Comiskey Park, Chicago, IL (w/ a Rambler encore!)

Bob Dylan (1998 w/ Joni Mitchell @ United Center, Chicago, IL, 1999 w/ Paul Simon @ Tinley Park, IL, 2002 @ Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN, 2005 @ Paramount Theatre, Seattle, WA)

Neil Young (1999 @ Rosemont Theatre, Rosemont, IL, 2000 @ Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI)

Tom Petty, The Who, Natalie Merchant, Beck, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Garbage, Stevie Wonder, My Morning Jacket, Phish, Yo La Tengo, Santana, Foo Fighters, Robert Cray, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cat Power, The Jayhawks, Buddy Guy, David Byrne, The Band (minus Robbie), The Dead (minus Jerry), U2, Willie Nelson, Neko Case, B.B. King, The Eels, John Legend....my head is starting to hurt! I'd have to refer to the stubs book. cool smiley

Prince
Van Morrison
Johnny Cash
Nirvana
Jack White
PJ Harvey
Fiona Apple

@floodonthepage

I'm not a Phish fan & but I never knew they did so many covers (348) LedZep, Stones, Beatles, The Who, Bowie etc... Versus the (309) they wrote, at least per WikiPedia. I knew about the White Album & last year learned they covered Exile. What other noteable classic rock albums have they done, do you know?

List of 348 Phish covers. 348!

Date: October 21, 2020 06:35

Big Al
slewan
just the ones that come to my mind at the moment/no particular order

155x Bob Dylan

Is that a typo? That is insane.
Hey it does happen! I know someone saw Dylan 25 times in 50 days back in the day-from canada to miami.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 21, 2020 16:48

KevinM
floodonthepage

Prince
Van Morrison
Johnny Cash
Nirvana
Jack White
PJ Harvey
Fiona Apple

@floodonthepage

I'm not a Phish fan & but I never knew they did so many covers (348) LedZep, Stones, Beatles, The Who, Bowie etc... Versus the (309) they wrote, at least per WikiPedia. I knew about the White Album & last year learned they covered Exile. What other noteable classic rock albums have they done, do you know?

List of 348 Phish covers. 348!

KevinM, they've also done The Who's 'Quadrophenia', David Bowie's 'Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars', Little Feat's 'Waiting for Columbus', Talking Heads' 'Remain in Light', Velvet Underground's 'Loaded' and Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Most of these album performances have landed on Halloween shows, as a "musical costume" that the band puts on....though their Dark Side of the Moon performance was not on Halloween but was a few days after.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 21, 2020 17:02

Too lazy to try and list all I've seen, but here are a few notable ones.

1st X-Pensive Winos show at the Fox in Atlanta.

Skynyrd twice before the plane crash (once with Steve Gaines)

Front row for John Fogerty - the single best non-Stones musical event I've ever been to.

I've seen all of the original Beach Boys (including one of Dennis' last shows).

0riginal 4 KISS and Van Halen

Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lee Hooker at various times.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: October 21, 2020 18:52

Chester
On January 31, 1959, my parents went on a date to a show at the Duluth (Mn.) Armory, where they saw Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. Three days later, of course, they died in a plane crash (the performers, not my parents).

Also in attendance at that show was Bob Zimmerman from Hibbing Mn., so inspired, legend has it, that he picked up a guitar and changed his name to Bob Dylan. He mentioned the show at the 1998 Grammy Awards when he received Album of the Year for "Time Out of Mind."

"I just want to say that when I was 16 or 17 years old, I went to see Buddy Holly play at Duluth National Guard Armory and I was three feet away from him… and he looked at me. And I just have some kind of feeling that he was – I don’t know how or why – but I know he was with us all the time we were making this record in some kind of way."

In April 1977, my parents took me to see Elvis at the Duluth (Mn.) Arena, four months before he died. I was in fifth grade. I'm 54 now, and still don't know anyone else who has seen him.

In June 2015, when my daughter was in fifth grade, I took her to see the Stones in Orlando and hopefully she will be writing about it on some message board when she is 54.

Hey Chester, do you have any memories of seeing The King in 1977? Unless it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I cannot remember anyone else on this board saying that they had seen him in concert (I will probably get bombarded now!)

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home