Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...& the ones you missed.
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 17, 2020 06:50

Kevin well right offhand I would suggest you look into anything in the Black Uhuru Island Record catalogue. They are pretty accessible but still hard core dynamic reggae, Sly and Robbie riddim driven. Michael Rose their lead vocalist has a great voice and they have many classic tracks. And then buy some compilations like Rockers soundtrack, maybe stick to Island Records catalogue, and then seek out LPs of the artists on them that strike you. Maybe look for Lee Perry produced vocal LPs like Max Romeo War In a Babylon or Heptones Party Time. Trojan Records in the UK is another good starting point. From there you get into the way more obscure styles of reggae by following artist/producer trails. If you want some real specific titles, email me, I think my email is visible in my profile.

Also you might want to check out the "what are you listening to this second" thread, both Hairball and myself have been throwing down some good selections.

Its kind of funny reading some of these posts, and amazing the heights that some fairly local talent have gone in the years since I saw them. Like CCR...I first saw them playing at the Cottage Park Friday night high school dances, as the Golliwogs. A couple years later I happened to be at a favorite beach, Muir Beach, on the Cali coast north of SF and there just happened to be an Acid Test going on that weekend. The first band up, introduced as "we used to be the Golliwogs, now we are Creedence Clearwater Revival" were a real surprise. This had to be maybe late 68 or early 69.

Fun times.

Oh I meant to mention, besides missing the Beatles, I also most regret missing Bob Marley and the Wailers, especially when they were booked at the Boarding House I think it was after getting stranded on the road after besting Sly and the Family Stone one too many times. And this was the real "Wailers" with Tosh and either Bunny Wailers or probably more likely Joe Higgs too, before Bob became the big star of the show. I was out of the country at the time but I knew one of the people who rescued them and arranged the shows, basically to get them some bread to get back to JA.

I also thought about buying a ticket to his shows later at the Paramount theatre in Oakland, but them opening for the OJays or whoever it was, just wasn't near my bag, so I skipped.

jb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 07:04 by jbwelda.

Re: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...and the ones you missed.
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 17, 2020 06:57

DaveG
KevinM
DaveG
MisterDDDD
Dang, DaveG.
Very, very, impressive.

Proud to say I was at at lease two of the same ones you were at winking smiley

(also, may have asked at the Lisa show, but where did you see Jimi & The Beatles? Seattle?? Sicks Stadium for Jimi by chance?
Great list.

Hey Mike, the Lisa show was lots of fun, especially when she reached down and put her hand on each of us during a song! I’m sure her flirtatiousness was genuine!

I saw The Beatles at Dodger Stadium, August 1966.

As for Jimi, I saw him at Newport ‘69, a 3-day festival in June of 1969, Devonshire Downs, Northridge, California. In fact, the performance I saw is on YouTube and was filmed from right near where I was standing. It was a jam, with Buddy Miles and others.

Hope you’re doing well!

Dave your list is extremely impressive & the only one to feature The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, The Kinks & Hendrix. (that's 4 of my top 6 favorites all-time) You're so lucky!

I did notice that the following bands were absent: The Who, Yes, The Doors, Rush, Van Halen etc. If you don't mind me asking, did none of those bands appeal to you or just not appeal enough to go see them and/or other reasons?

(3hrs.45min.) Jimi Hendrix- GYPSY SUN & RAINBOWS - Woodstock Festival rehearsals

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, I was very fortunate to see so many of the greats. Living in L.A. back then afforded many opportunities.

As for the bands you mentioned: I was never much interested in seeing Yes, Rush, or The Who. I can’t explain why, but they just never appealed to me. Van Halen came along after my concert-going lifestyle, though I thought they were all right.
As for the Doors: I went to see them at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in 1969. I really liked The Doors and was excited to see them. After the opening act, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, I believe it was Ray Manzarek who came out and informed us that Jim Morrison was under the weather and not able to perform. He then introduced their replacement for the show: The Fifth Dimension! Talk about a letdown! So, I never was able to see The Doors.

The crazy (scary) part of that Doors story is that back then who knew if concerts etc. would be available to see (VHS/Beta weren't invented yet) in the future. Back then & even into the late 70's, if you missed it, you were SOL.

Yes is my #4 band all-time (barely ahead of The Who, simply b/c some of the filler on The Who's 70's & 80's LP's was very mediocre, not bad, but not that good either, certainly not up to their standards...I think that is where The Stones, The Beatles & Led Zep really differntiate themselves from the pack). I digress, if you haven't already heard Yes': Close To The Edge, Fragile, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going For The One & Tormato, give them a listen. YesShows & YesSongs, their live LP's too. Maybe after all this time you'll perceive them in a different way & it'll click. But I get it, they're not for everyone, a bit of an acquired taste.

maybe try...
Yes - Going For The One (remastered)

Ray Davies has one of the best voices in R&R (imho), they were eerily similar to the Who ~64/65 when both bands were one the rise...iirc they used the same Eel Pie Studios & producers/personnel didn't they?

you might like this...
The High Numbers - Ooh Poo Pah Doo / I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 17, 2020 07:05

KevinM
DaveG
KevinM
DaveG
MisterDDDD
Dang, DaveG.
Very, very, impressive.

Proud to say I was at at lease two of the same ones you were at winking smiley

(also, may have asked at the Lisa show, but where did you see Jimi & The Beatles? Seattle?? Sicks Stadium for Jimi by chance?
Great list.

Hey Mike, the Lisa show was lots of fun, especially when she reached down and put her hand on each of us during a song! I’m sure her flirtatiousness was genuine!

I saw The Beatles at Dodger Stadium, August 1966.

As for Jimi, I saw him at Newport ‘69, a 3-day festival in June of 1969, Devonshire Downs, Northridge, California. In fact, the performance I saw is on YouTube and was filmed from right near where I was standing. It was a jam, with Buddy Miles and others.

Hope you’re doing well!

Dave your list is extremely impressive & the only one to feature The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, The Kinks & Hendrix. (that's 4 of my top 6 favorites all-time) You're so lucky!

I did notice that the following bands were absent: The Who, Yes, The Doors, Rush, Van Halen etc. If you don't mind me asking, did none of those bands appeal to you or just not appeal enough to go see them and/or other reasons?

(3hrs.45min.) Jimi Hendrix- GYPSY SUN & RAINBOWS - Woodstock Festival rehearsals

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, I was very fortunate to see so many of the greats. Living in L.A. back then afforded many opportunities.

As for the bands you mentioned: I was never much interested in seeing Yes, Rush, or The Who. I can’t explain why, but they just never appealed to me. Van Halen came along after my concert-going lifestyle, though I thought they were all right.
As for the Doors: I went to see them at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in 1969. I really liked The Doors and was excited to see them. After the opening act, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, I believe it was Ray Manzarek who came out and informed us that Jim Morrison was under the weather and not able to perform. He then introduced their replacement for the show: The Fifth Dimension! Talk about a letdown! So, I never was able to see The Doors.

The crazy (scary) part of that Doors story is that back then who knew if concerts etc. would be available to see (VHS/Beta weren't invented yet) in the future. Back then & even into the late 70's, if you missed it, you were SOL.

Yes is my #4 band all-time (barely ahead of The Who, simply b/c some of the filler on The Who's 70's & 80's LP's was very mediocre, not bad, but not that good either, certainly not up to their standards...I think that is where The Stones, The Beatles & Led Zep really differntiate themselves from the pack). I digress, if you haven't already heard Yes': Close To The Edge, Fragile, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going For The One & Tormato, give them a listen. YesShows & YesSongs, their live LP's too. Maybe after all this time you'll perceive them in a different way & it'll click. But I get it, they're not for everyone, a bit of an acquired taste.

maybe try...
Yes - Going For The One (remastered)

Ray Davies has one of the best voices in R&R (imho), they were eerily similar to the Who ~64/65 when both bands were one the rise...iirc they used the same Eel Pie Studios & producers/personnel didn't they?

you might like this...
The High Numbers - Ooh Poo Pah Doo / I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying

Kevin, thanks for the recommendations. I will give them a listen.

I remember the Kinks show quite well. It was at the famed Whisky A Go Go in Hollywood in November of ‘69. They had just released their LP Arthur, and Victoria was getting a lot of airplay on the radio. I remember while standing in line, a Rolls Royce drove up and inside were the guys in the Iron Butterfly, who began chatting with everyone! The Whisky was not a small club (500 capacity) but the show had an intimate feel. They put on a great show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 07:10 by DaveG.

Date: October 17, 2020 07:12

walkingthedog
Early concerts (Oslo):

Kinks 1966
Hollies 1966
Spencer Davis Group 1966
The Who 1967
Small Faces 1967
Stax-Volt Revue 1967
Traffic 1967(68?)
New Yardbirds (=Led Zeppelin) 1968
Blind Faith 1969

Later concerts:
10x Stones (Gothenburg,Knebworth, Oslo,Copenhagen,Glasgow,Paris)
Nice
Spirit
Jethro Tull (Oslo, Philadelphia)
King Crimson (UK 1971)
T.Rex (UK 1971)
Genesis
Yes
Supertramp
Jayhawks (Ann Arbor 2005)
Magma
Strawbs
Zombies
+ many more

Missed:
Stones Oslo 1965
Pink Floyd UFO club London 1967
Sex Pistols Oslo 1977 (Full house!)

@walkingthedog

Lots of good ones on here, especially 66-69, holy shit!

What year(s)/tour(s) did you see Yes? Favorite LPs ?

LZ in '68!! (their energy was so raw back then) LZ1 HOTH & PGr. are my 3 favorite albums. LZ4 side 2 is so overrated.

Date: October 17, 2020 07:19

ChrisL
Some of the concerts, in no particular order, I have seen ...
x = multiple times

The Rolling Stones-x, Pink Floyd-x, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Who-x, Black Sabbath-x, Jethro Tull, Van Morrison-x, Bob Dylan-x, Johnny Cash-x, Eric Clapton-x, Steve Winwood-x, Clapton-Winwood-x, Beach Boys, Brian Wilson-x, ELP (with Powell), Robert Palmer, Deep Purple-x, Rainbow, Carole King, Don Henley, Whitesnake-x, Kiss-x, Peter Gabriel, Nana Mouskouri, George Dalaras-x, REM, Joe Cocker, Sixto Rodriguez-x, William Bell, Lisa Fisher-x, Ronnie Wood-x, Keith Richards, Led Zeppelin, Pretenders, Guns N Roses (opening for Stones)-x, Anderson-Wakeman-Rabin, Roger Waters-x, John Fogerty, Steve Miller Band, Sensational Space Shifters, Pretty Things, Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings-x, Little Feat-x, Long Ryders, Bruce Springsteen-x, Little Steve-x, Southside Johnny, David Gilmour, Supertramp, Roger Hodgson, Gregg Allman, Steppenwolf, Locomondo-x, Samantha Fish-x, Ginger Baker Jazz Confusion-x, U2-x, Steely Dan, Nick Mason, Mick Taylor, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder.

I'm sure there are more.

As for the ones I missed seeing, anyone not on the above list!

@ChrisL

Were any of these concerts from the 60's? (Floyd, Beach Boys, Stones, LZ, Who)

I like how you've seen the single acts, ie, Ricahrds, Wilson, Gilmour, Waters, Fogerty, Wyman, Taylor & Nick Mason etc!

Gilmour vs. Waters, who was better?

Date: October 17, 2020 07:23

Chacho
I don't know about the concerts I missed, but I can list the ones of any importance that I attended as follows:

1. The Rolling Stones: Moby Gym Arena, Fort Collins Colo, 11-7-1969
-- The Rolling Stones: Denver Coliseum, Denver Colo, 6-16-1972
-- The Rolling Stones: Cotton Bowl, Dallas Texas, 7-6-1975
-- The Rolling Stones: Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia PA, 9-26-1981
2. Muddy Waters: The Stanhope House, Stanhope NJ, 3-25-1981
3. Grateful Dead: Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley CA, 8-14-1971
-- Grateful Dead: Boulder Colorado, Summer of 1970
4. Bruce Springsteen: Madison Square Garden, NYC, 8-21-1978
-- Bruce Springsteen: Madison Sqiare Garden, NYC, 11-28-1980
5. Johnny Cash: Moby Gym Arena, Fort Collins Colorado, 5-13-1970
6. Willie Nelson: Huguenot NY, date unknown 1997 to 1999
7. Johnny Winter: Central Park, NYC, 7-27-1980
-- Johnny Winter: Pier 84, Manhattan NY, 8-19-1981
8. Stevie Ray Vaughan: The Chance, Poughkeepsie NY, 4-28-1984
9. Jefferson Airplane: Boulder Colorado, Spring of 1970
10. The Who: Madison Square Garden, NYC, 6-16-1979
11. Stevie Wonder: Denver Coliseum, Denver Colorado, 6-16-1972
12. Leon Russel: Huguenot, NY, date unknown 1997 to 1999

Note that I am skipping literally 100s of concerts of little importance, and listing the ones above proved to be a daunting task.

@Chacho

Still though, you got to see Mick Taylor in his "rookie" year. +3 more prime era Stones shows, 70's Who & SRV, good stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 07:40 by KevinM.

Date: October 17, 2020 07:27

Hairball
Stones multiple times in clubs, theaters, arenas, and stadiums '81-2019 - most were great.
Pink Floyd 1980 (x 2)

And the rest....too many highlights to list all venues, dates, and how many times I've seen each, but for starters...off the top of my head...in no particular order:

ARMS Benefit
Neil
Dylan
The Clash
Willie Nelson
Burning Spear
Willie Dixon
Mick Taylor (w/Stones, with and without Bluesbreakers)
ZZ Top
Winwood/Traffic
The Specials
Merle Haggard
DEVO
Chuck Berry
The Dillards
The WHO
Clapton
Pretenders
Jeff Beck
Ozzy
Deep Purple
U2
Page, Plant, Page/Plant
The Cramps
Toots and the Maytalls
Jethro Tull
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Stevie Wonder
Hank III
Johnny Winter
Blasters
X
Los Lobos
Dead Kennedys
David Gilmour
Roger Waters
Steely Dan
Motorhead
Guns N Roses
Metallica
Aerosmith
Blue Oyster Cult
The Jam
Oasis
Culture
Van Morrison
Santana
CSNY/CSN
Steve Miller
Robin Trower
David Bowie
Prince
Peter Gabriel

And many more....................including US 83, both Desert Trips, and Arroyo Seco festivals w/multiple bands

The only real regret I have is missing Bob Marley - my older bro had a ticket for me at the Roxy in L.A., but I couldnt make it.

@Hairball

ARMS Benefit! Did you know you were witnessing history in the making when you went?

What year/tour did you see P.Gabriel?

G 'N R

best song on the album

underrated classic

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-18 02:24 by KevinM.

Date: October 17, 2020 07:37

Valeswood
Too many really but the main ones:-

1. AC/DC x5 - 1980, 1981, 1982, 2015, 2016
2. ARMS Benefit 1983
3. David Bowie x2 – 1983, 1987
4. The Clash 1981
5. Concert for George 2002
6. Bob Dylan x6 – 1984, 1987, 1989, 2005, 2017, 2019
7. Deep Purple (Mark II) - 1987
8. Eagles x3 – 1996, 2001, 2014
9. Eric Clapton x5 – 1983 (twice), 1985, 1989, 2001
10. Fleetwood Mac x2 – 2013, 2014
11. Genesis x6 – 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1987, 1998
12. Mick Jagger (Celebration of the Blues) 1992
13. Led Zeppelin 1979
14. Paul McCartney x4 – 1990, 2003, 2009, 2018
15. New Barbarians 1979
16. Pink Floyd x4 – 1981, 1988, 1989, 1994
17. Queen x3 – 1982, 1984, 1986
18. Rolling Stones x28 – 1982, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2018
19. Six of the Best (Genesis with Peter Gabriel) 1982
20. Slade x5 – 1980, 1981 (twice), 1982 (twice)
21. Bruce Springsteen x11 – 1981, 1985 (twice), 1988 (twice), 1993, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2013, 2016
22. Status Quo x8 – 1979, 1986, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
23. U2 x2 – (the last band I had to tick off my list) – 2015, 2017
24. The Who x18 – 1981 (twice), 1982, 1989, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015 (twice), 2017, 2020
25.Ron Wood x2 – 2010, 2019
26. Neil Young x12 – 1982 (twice), 1987 (twice), 1989, 1993, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2013, 2016, 2019

Missed

AC/DC with Bon Scott – to be fair I didn’t know about them at the time but they played my hometown

George Harrison – I only had one opportunity in 1992 but only heard about it on the news after the event but I feel I have seen him in spirit at the Concert for George.

CSNY – Haven’t played the UK since 1974

Keith and the Winos 1992 – Birth of first child prevented me going!

@Valeswood

Another impressive list. I love Peter Gabriel's 1st 4-5 solo LP's & Lamb Lies Down (Genesis yrs), but I could never get into the PG era of Genesis, despite trying. I bought all the LP's, used & in Mint condition for $20, was so excited, got home, played them (sampled each song) & could barely get through 1 complete song per LP, yet I love PG's voice. I think b/c it was too random, kinda like eclectic jazz (way over the top) & I don't even like normal jazz. Conversely, Collins is ok, but I like the Collins era Genesis stuff through ~84ish. What can you recommend for original/PG era Genesis? Maybe a Greatest Hits of P.G. era?

I also like Bowie's LP's through ~84/85, but love Ziggy Stardust & Diamond Dogs LP's, yet I can't get into his Live LP's. I've seen him in '90, excellent show. What can you recommend for live (70s) Bowie? (someone posted a Bowie live in '74 iirc here & it just didn't do it for me)

You're probably aware, but make sure to check out 'The High Numbers' on YT...it's The Who (july 64-Oct 64) before they were The Who. I posted a video in a prior post in this thread. (Ooh Poo Pa Doo & Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying). Live at the Railway Hotel is the complete show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 08:07 by KevinM.

Re: OT: List the Bands/Artists you've seen in your life...& the ones you missed.
Date: October 17, 2020 08:00

jbwelda
Kevin well right offhand I would suggest you look into anything in the Black Uhuru Island Record catalogue. They are pretty accessible but still hard core dynamic reggae, Sly and Robbie riddim driven. Michael Rose their lead vocalist has a great voice and they have many classic tracks. And then buy some compilations like Rockers soundtrack, maybe stick to Island Records catalogue, and then seek out LPs of the artists on them that strike you. Maybe look for Lee Perry produced vocal LPs like Max Romeo War In a Babylon or Heptones Party Time. Trojan Records in the UK is another good starting point. From there you get into the way more obscure styles of reggae by following artist/producer trails. If you want some real specific titles, email me, I think my email is visible in my profile.

Also you might want to check out the "what are you listening to this second" thread, both Hairball and myself have been throwing down some good selections.

Its kind of funny reading some of these posts, and amazing the heights that some fairly local talent have gone in the years since I saw them. Like CCR...I first saw them playing at the Cottage Park Friday night high school dances, as the Golliwogs. A couple years later I happened to be at a favorite beach, Muir Beach, on the Cali coast north of SF and there just happened to be an Acid Test going on that weekend. The first band up, introduced as "we used to be the Golliwogs, now we are Creedence Clearwater Revival" were a real surprise. This had to be maybe late 68 or early 69.

Fun times.

Oh I meant to mention, besides missing the Beatles, I also most regret missing Bob Marley and the Wailers, especially when they were booked at the Boarding House I think it was after getting stranded on the road after besting Sly and the Family Stone one too many times. And this was the real "Wailers" with Tosh and either Bunny Wailers or probably more likely Joe Higgs too, before Bob became the big star of the show. I was out of the country at the time but I knew one of the people who rescued them and arranged the shows, basically to get them some bread to get back to JA.

I also thought about buying a ticket to his shows later at the Paramount theatre in Oakland, but them opening for the OJays or whoever it was, just wasn't near my bag, so I skipped.

jb

As always, thanks for the detailed feedback JB, that's plenty to go on for now. The main thing I like about Reggae (besides the actual music), is that it always seems to be calming yet uplifting & puts me in a festive mood (based on my very limited exposure to B.Marley).

As far as the "What Are You Listening To Now.." thread, I went through about 15pgs, but it's expanding faster than I can keep up with it, though I forget sometimes too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-18 02:25 by KevinM.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 17, 2020 08:06

I have seen a lot of great concerts in my lifetime, too many to remember and count, but here are just a few:

Stones-1972, 75, 78, 81, 89, 94, 95, 97, 98, 2002, 2003, 2013, 2015.
Bruce Springsteen-1984 (one of the best shows I have ever seen), 1992, 1995 or 96, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2012, 2016
Grateful Dead- 1977, 78, 80
Jerry Garcia -1980
Elvis Presley-1977
Grand Funk-mid 1970's
Frank Zappa & the Mothers- mid 1970's
Billy Preston-mid 1970's
Pink Floyd-mid 1970's
Stills and Young-mid 1970's
Bob Dylan & the Rolling Thunder Revue-mid 70s (?)-one of the best concerts I ever saw
BB King-1980's
Chuck Berry- 1980's (Chuck was pretty drunk and featured a horrible back up band)
Simon and Garfunkel-?
Eric Clapton -?
Jackson Browne-?
James Taylor-?
U2 -Zoo TV tour 1992
Paul McCartney- 1989 or 1990.
Sting-?
Billy Joel & Elton John together and separately -1990's (?)
Dave Brubeck -3 times Rochester International Jazz Festival.
Shery Crow- 2-3 years ago.
The Who ?
Steve Miller ?
Jethro Tull ?

On my Bucket List who I never got to see:
Bowie, Prince, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson, Tina Turner.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 08:14 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2020 08:16

KevinM

@Hairball

ARMS Benefit! Did you know you were witnessing history in the making when you went?

Hi Kevin - ARMS Benefit was indeed special. I saw it at the L.A. Forum both nights, and yes I knew the shows were going to be historical as there was magic in the L.A. air. As a 20 yr. old, my first time seeing Clapton, Beck, and Page...separate sets and all together. Both nights were truly stunning w/Jeff Beck being the highlight for me, though the shows in there entirety were fantastic. Clapton was the Master of ceremonies and was a total class act, while Page was a bit weak and frail (and sloppy), though I was still in serious awe to see him live on stage. Along with them, there was Joe Cocker, Paul Rogers, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, along with others...including an appearance by Ronnie Lane himself at the end. Here's a cool news clip from LA station ABC7:

*Still have the t-shirt as seen in clip above. thumbs up

As for Peter Gabriel, I saw him not too long ago in 2012 at the Santa Barbara Bowl during the Back to Front Tour where he played the So album in it's entirety (w/original band) along with many of his greatest hits, and a couple of new tunes. Never had seen him before (or since), but it turned out to be one of the best shows I've ever experienced - both musically and visually.

Date: October 17, 2020 08:23

Sighunt
I have seen a lot of great concerts in my lifetime, too many to remember and count, but here are just a few:

Bruce Springsteen-1984 (one of the best shows I have ever seen), 1992, 1995 or 96, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2012, 2016
Jerry Garcia -1980
Elvis Presley-1977
Grand Funk-mid 1970's
Billy Preston-mid 1970's
Pink Floyd-mid 1970's
Bob Dylan & the Rolling Thunder Revue-mid 70s (?)-one of the best concerts I ever saw
BB King-1980's
Chuck Berry- 1980's (Chuck was pretty drunk and featured a horrible back up band)
Simon and Garfunkel-?
Eric Clapton -?
Jackson Browne-?
James Taylor-?
U2 -Zoo TV tour 1992
Sting-?
The Who ?
Steve Miller ?
Jethro Tull ?

Bowie, Prince, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson, Tina Turner.

@Sighunt

Aloha!

I like ~50 of Elvis' songs...probably more, but his catalog is huge & I haven't heard but maybe 150-200 songs total. I admire that he could sing just about any style: Gospel, rock, rockabilly, country, ballads etc. There aren't too many alive/dead that could do so many, so well, as he did.

What tour was the Pink Floyd show?

Elvis - Something

Date: October 17, 2020 09:18

Hairball
KevinM

@Hairball

Hi Kevin - ARMS Benefit was indeed special. I saw it at the L.A. Forum both nights, and yes I knew the shows were going to be historical as there was magic in the L.A. air. As a 20 yr. old, my first time seeing Clapton, Beck, and Page...separate sets and all together. Both nights were truly stunning w/Jeff Beck being the highlight for me, though the shows in there entirety were fantastic. Clapton was the Master of ceremonies and was a total class act, while Page was a bit weak and frail (and sloppy), though I was still in serious awe to see him live on stage. Along with them, there was Joe Cocker, Paul Rogers, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, along with others...including an appearance by Ronnie Lane himself at the end. Here's a cool news clip from LA station ABC7:

*Still have the t-shirt as seen in clip above. thumbs up

As for Peter Gabriel, I saw him not too long ago in 2012 at the Santa Barbara Bowl during the Back to Front Tour where he played the So album in it's entirety (w/original band) along with many of his greatest hits, and a couple of new tunes. Never had seen him before (or since), but it turned out to be one of the best shows I've ever experienced - both musically and visually.

Steve Winwood & Kenney Jones too. Glyn Johns produced.

ERIC CLAPTON AND FRIENDS BLUES NIGHT AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL LONDON 1990

Date: October 17, 2020 10:05

Paddy
AcDc X 6
Alice in Chains x 3
Black Sabbath x 8
DKT/MC5 / MC50 X 4
Sex Pistols x 4
Dead Kennedys x 3
Stiff Little Fingers X 5
My bloody Valentine x 2
The Jesus and Mary chain X 3
Oasis X 4
Primal Scream X 3
Ride X 1
Pearl Jam X 4
Mudhoney x 6
Bob Dylan x 2
Tom Petty x 3
John Fogerty x 2
The Prodigy x 3
The Chemical Brothers x 1
The Stone Roses x 2
The Rolling Stones x 14 (15 if Vancouver goes ahead)
L7 x 2
Hole x 2
Babes in toyland x 1
The Pixies x 3
Weezer x 1
Iron Maiden x 7
Guns N Roses x 5 (6 if Seattle goes ahead)
Metallica x 3
Megadeth X 4
Slayer x 3
Testament x 2
Anthrax X 2
Velvet Revolver x 4
Meatloaf x 2
Deep Purple x 1
Lynyrd Skynyrd x 1
David Bowie x 1
Chuck Berry x 1
Neil Young x 5
The Who x 4
Liam Gallagher x 2
Fleetwood Mac x 1
The Jesus Lizard x 3
Dinosaur Jr x 2
Therapy? X 16
New York Dolls x 1
Patti Smith x 1
The Vaseline’s x 2
Tool x1
System of a down x 2
Motorhead x 6
The Stunning x 2
The Stooges x 2
Iggy Pop x 1
Foo Fighters x2
Nine inch nails x 2
Manic street preachers x 1
Flipper x 1
U2 x 2
REM x 2
The Pogues x 5
Shane MacGowan x 4
Paul McCartney x 3
Manzarek/Krieger/Astbury x 1
Buddy Guy x 1
The Specials x 1
The White Stripes x 2
Green Day x 2
Faithless x 1
Frank Black and the Catholics x 2
James Brown x 1
Queens of the stone age x 1
Kaiser Chiefs x 2
The Fratellis x 2
Ash x 5
Radiohead x 1
Massive Attack x 1
Teenage Fanclub x 2
Sonic Youth x 2
PJ Harvey x 2
Steve Earle x 1
Kris Kristofferson x 1
The waterboys x 3
Christy Moore x 2
Marylin Manson x 1
Linkin Park x 1
Garbage x 1
Venom x 1
Sepultura x 1
The Go Gos x 1
The Libertines x 1
Amy Winehouse x 1
Mazzy Star x 1
Aerosmith x 1
Rage against the machine x 1
The flaming lips x 1
The pretenders x 1
Blondie x 1
Slash x 4
Bruce Springsteen x 1
Daniel Johnston x 1
The Cheiftains x 2
The Cult x 1
JJ72 x 4
Mark Lanegan x 3
The Police x 1
Queen & Paul Rogers x 1
Judas Priest x 1

There’s a lot I’ve forgotten, festivals and gigs in general between 94 and the early 2000s were drunken affairs.

The bands I didn’t and would kill to have seen were The Doors and Nirvana. I did have tickets for the Dublin Nirvana gig in 94, but that didn’t go ahead Obviously. Weirdly it was scheduled for the day his body was found. (Though it had already been rescheduled from the date)

The Doors I’d love to have seen. Manzareks playing, Densmores drumming, kriegers playing and tone and Morrison’s voice were brilliant live (when on form, they could also be a disaster, but that’s a lot of bands)

Listening to the Doors set from say Detroit in 70, or any of the live albums they put out (way less edits that Rothschild claimed, the bright midnight release have made the complete shows available) they just tore the place up. I have never heard music that so suits the drunken state as the Doors live.

And another 101 artists I love and didn’t see, that list would be looooooong... grinning smiley

@Paddy

If you like Radiohead, I think you'd love Muse...I've ranked them #11 on my all-time list (just ahead of Bob Marley & Nirvana), so pretty lofty company. Literally everything they do is very good to great. Absolution is probably their best LP, but that case could be made for numerous albums.

very handy tool:
Full list of The Doors songs, listed alphabetically: ...you may wanna look at this, some rarities/unreleased stuff etc. Once you click a song, it'll show the # of alternate versions, disc/track/album, release history (LPs/CDs/year etc) & lyrics. Many are linked to YT videos also.

Re: "they just tore the place up. I have never heard music that so suits the drunken state as the Doors live."...it's their mojo & mix, the keyboards/organ especially, puts you in a quasi-trance if/when you're receptive to it.

In recent years I've found numerous unreleased/very rare Doors on YT. I haven't really delved into the posthumous LP's. There's also a lot of Jim's poetry set to their music (not the mainstream stuff).

The Doors - Carol (live in Detroit)

The Doors - Peace Frog

The Doors - A Feast Of Friends Fun fact: based on Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor, 17th century Italian classical.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 17, 2020 15:05

KevinM
Sighunt

Bruce Springsteen-1984 (one of the best shows I have ever seen), 1992, 1995 or 96, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2016
Jerry Garcia -1980
Elvis Presley-1977
Grand Funk-mid 1970's
Billy Preston-mid 1970's
Pink Floyd-mid 1970's
BB King-1980's
Simon and Garfunkel-?
Eric Clapton -?
Jackson Browne-?
James Taylor-?
U2 -Zoo TV tour 1992
Sting-?
Elton John and Billy Joel (both together and separate shows 1990s (?)
The Who ?
Steve Miller- just a few years back
Jethro Tull- just a few years back
John Fogarty- just a few years back

Bowie, Prince, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson, Zeppelin, Tina Turner.

@Sighunt

Aloha!

I like ~50 of Elvis' songs...probably more, but his catalog is huge & I haven't heard but maybe 150-200 songs total. I admire that he could sing just about any style: Gospel, rock, rockabilly, country, ballads etc. There aren't too many alive/dead that could do so many, so well, as he did.

What tour was the Pink Floyd show?

Elvis - Something

I saw Pink Floyd on the Wish You Were Here tour in 1975. This was in Hamilton, Ontario. Great, great show. They opened up with Wish You Were Here, took a break, came back, and if I'm not mistaken, performed all or just about all of Dark Side of the Moon!

Regarding Elvis, I treasure that concert immensely! I believe it was something like 5 months or so before he died. He came to my hometown of Rochester, NY. Sadly, this was the later day, bloated Elvis. However, he had moments of brilliance. That guy could do anything with his voice: country, rock, gospel. Just incredible! Last piece of memorabilia: the day that Elvis died, I was at a concert in Rochester seeing Linda Ronstadt and she announced it to the audience!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 15:44 by Sighunt.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 17, 2020 15:48

I missed Nirvana.

that's the only one that matters.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 17, 2020 18:20

I saw Nirvana once at this little dump called the Cattle Club in Sacramento, before they got famous.

Didn't really hear anything I liked. Even after they got famous I was like "what is it anyone hears in these guys?" Then the dude did the ultimate career ending move that makes you famous and the rest is history.

jb

Date: October 17, 2020 19:18

KevinM

I assume you're referring to the ARMS Benefit VHS that was released, but should be noted that was filmed at the Royal Albert Hall show.
Steve Winwood did not make it across the pond for the US ARMS shows for whatever reason, but instead Joce Cocker and Paul Rogers were part of the lineup.

Anyhow, here's the Royal Albert Hall show:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 19:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 17, 2020 19:45

Aerosmith - 3
Aretha Franklin - 1
Bo Diddley - 1
Bob Dylan - 3
Bob Seger - 2
Bruce Springsteen - 6
Bryan Adams - 1
Carl Perkins - 1
Cheap Trick - 1
Chuck Berry -2
CSN - 2
CSNY - 2
Dave Mason -1
Dire Straits -1
Eagles - 1
Elton John - 1
Eric Clapton - 5
Everly Brothers - 1
Fats Domino - 1
Genesis - 1
George Thorogood - 4
Heart - 1
J Geils Band - 2
James Brown - 1
Jerry Lee Lewis - 2
Jethro Tull - 3
John Mayall - 1
John Mellencamp - 2
Johnny Rivers -
Keith Richards - 2
The Kinks - 4
Lenny Kravitz - 2
Little Richard - 1
Moody Blues - 3
Neil Young - 5 or 6
Ozzy Osbourne - 1
Paul MCCartney - 2
Pete Townshend - 1
The Police - 1
Robert Plant - 1
John Entwistle - 1
Ron Wood and Bo Diddley - 1
Roy Orbison - 1
The Rolling Stones - 25
Ryan Adams - 1
Paul Simon - 1
Steely Dan - 1
Stray Cats - 1
Georgia Satellites - 1
Living colour - 3
Steve Miller Band - 2
Paul Rogers - 1
Pink Floyd - 1
Tom Petty - 3
U2 - 1
Van Morrison - 1
The Who - 7
ZZ Top - 1

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 17, 2020 19:45

KevinM

@Valeswood

Another impressive list. I love Peter Gabriel's 1st 4-5 solo LP's & Lamb Lies Down (Genesis yrs), but I could never get into the PG era of Genesis, despite trying. I bought all the LP's, used & in Mint condition for $20, was so excited, got home, played them (sampled each song) & could barely get through 1 complete song per LP, yet I love PG's voice. I think b/c it was too random, kinda like eclectic jazz (way over the top) & I don't even like normal jazz. Conversely, Collins is ok, but I like the Collins era Genesis stuff through ~84ish. What can you recommend for original/PG era Genesis? Maybe a Greatest Hits of P.G. era?

I also like Bowie's LP's through ~84/85, but love Ziggy Stardust & Diamond Dogs LP's, yet I can't get into his Live LP's. I've seen him in '90, excellent show. What can you recommend for live (70s) Bowie? (someone posted a Bowie live in '74 iirc here & it just didn't do it for me)

You're probably aware, but make sure to check out 'The High Numbers' on YT...it's The Who (july 64-Oct 64) before they were The Who. I posted a video in a prior post in this thread. (Ooh Poo Pa Doo & Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying). Live at the Railway Hotel is the complete show.

Kevin

The PG era Genesis can be a bit difficult to get into sometimes due to the length of the songs but well worth the effort. Supper’s Ready at 23 minutes is an absolute prog rock masterpiece! Probably the most accessible LP is Selling England By The Pound but if you prefer live recordings as an introduction, I can upload Live At The Felt Form (1973) which contains most of Selling England and Six Of The Best to WeTransfer which gives a very good overview of the PG era apart from there is no Watcher Of The Skies.

Bowie? I love all his 1970 live albums! If you like the Ziggy era, then Santa Monica 72 is the one. There are 3x 1974 live albums which are all different in their own way but the real deal is Live at Nassau Coliseum 1976.

Thank you for the heads up with The High Numbers, I hadn’t seen that before.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 17, 2020 19:48

Also saw Santana and Peter Gabriel

Missed
John Lennon
Jimi Hendrix
CCR and Fogerty
Allmans
Jeff Beck
Stones with Brian Jones I did see them with MT as a guest
Who with Keith Moon
Led Zeppelin
Beatles

Date: October 17, 2020 23:14

stickyfingers101
I missed Nirvana.

@stickyfingers101

I haven't listened to this yet (it's on the list though)...

Kurt Cobain demo tape, 1986

I've found plenty of unreleased/very rare on YT in recent years...

WikiP - List of songs recorded by Nirvana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 23:15 by KevinM.

Date: October 17, 2020 23:23

jbwelda
I saw Nirvana once at this little dump called the Cattle Club in Sacramento, before they got famous.

Didn't really hear anything I liked. Even after they got famous I was like "what is it anyone hears in these guys?" Then the dude did the ultimate career ending move that makes you famous and the rest is history.

jb

the opening riff/refrain/whatever to "Come As You Are"....after that, for me, the rest was history....

Date: October 17, 2020 23:25

KevinM
stickyfingers101
I missed Nirvana.

@stickyfingers101

I haven't listened to this yet (it's on the list though)...

Kurt Cobain demo tape, 1986

I've found plenty of unreleased/very rare on YT in recent years...

WikiP - List of songs recorded by Nirvana

Thanks!

some of this "rarity" stuff can be real crap...kind of like most of the posthumous manuscripts written by "Ernest Hemingway"....

but, we'll see....there's can be some gems too!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 17, 2020 23:32

Hairball
KevinM

I assume you're referring to the ARMS Benefit VHS that was released, but should be noted that was filmed at the Royal Albert Hall show.
Steve Winwood did not make it across the pond for the US ARMS shows for whatever reason, but instead Joce Cocker and Paul Rogers were part of the lineup.

Here is the MSG show which I attended.

Date: October 17, 2020 23:34

Valeswood
KevinM

@Valeswood

Kevin

The PG era Genesis can be a bit difficult to get into sometimes due to the length of the songs but well worth the effort. Supper’s Ready at 23 minutes is an absolute prog rock masterpiece! Probably the most accessible LP is Selling England By The Pound but if you prefer live recordings as an introduction, I can upload Live At The Felt Form (1973) which contains most of Selling England and Six Of The Best to WeTransfer which gives a very good overview of the PG era apart from there is no Watcher Of The Skies.

Bowie? I love all his 1970 live albums! If you like the Ziggy era, then Santa Monica 72 is the one. There are 3x 1974 live albums which are all different in their own way but the real deal is Live at Nassau Coliseum 1976.

Thank you for the heads up with The High Numbers, I hadn’t seen that before.

@Valeswood

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that Genesis in the future. I'll give them a listen on YT/other sources & see if "it clicks" this time. It was early '00's when I initially sampled all the PG era LPs so maybe I'll perceive them differently now. As far as Prog. Rock, Yes is my #4 rated band, so I'm no stranger to long (seemingly drawn out to the average listener) songs (masterpieces). The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is by far my favorite Genesis album, so I'm not sure why the other PG era albums didn't jive.

I've got a few Bowie '76 Nassau Col. songs in my library...I'll have to go back & listen to the whole album.

BOWIE RECORDING ROCK 'N' ROLL WITH ME ~ AWESOME OUTTAKES'74

The Bootleg Bowie & Rarities Channel - YT

Bowie -'72-'73 Legendary Lost Tapes

BOWIE ~ ZIGGY STRIPPED BARE ~ COMPLETE BONUS TRACKS

David Bowie - Odds & Sods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 23:36 by KevinM.

Date: October 17, 2020 23:48

bleedingman
Hairball
KevinM

Here is the MSG show which I attended.

Good stuff bleedingman - thumbs up - there's a variety of ARMS videos on youtube.
I was watching Joe Cockers set from the Cow Palace in San Francisco earlier and was reminded how great his version of You Are So Beautiful is.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 17, 2020 23:58

THE ROLLING STONES 6X
THE WHO
HEART 2X
CROSBY, STILLS & NASH 3X
STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN
RUSH
KISS
CHEAP TRICK (OPENED FOR HEART)
JOURNEY (OPENED FOR STONES)
BOB DYLAN 4X
THE BAND (OPENED FOR CSN)
KEITH AND THE WINOS 2X
LINDA RONSTADT 2X
PRETENDERS (OPENED FOR STONES)
ALANIS MORRISETTE (OPENED FOR STONES)
FOREIGNER (OPENED FOR STONES)
PETER TOSH (OPENED FOR STONES)
BONNIE RAITT
JEFF HEALEY
LIVING COLOUR (OPENED FOR STONES)
NEVILLE BROTHERS
ERIC CLAPTON
GEORGE THOROGOOD (OPENED FOR STONES)
JOHN MAYALL BLUESBREAKERS REUNION WITH MICK TAYLOR
* I THINK THAT'S IT!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 18, 2020 00:08

Imagine if you will...you step around the corner and find yourself in a strange place in a strange town......
You've just entered The Twilight Zone, and the next thing you know you're at a two week long music festival that includes performances by ever band and musician listed in this thread...maybe it's a three week festival...
I'd really look forward to seeing The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Allman Brothers (w/Duane), Muddy Waters, Bob Marley, and quite a few others that I never had the opportunity to see before...
And then your wife comes in the room and you snap out of your daydream and are drawn back to reality with a thud... but it was sweet while it lasted...thumbs up

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: October 18, 2020 00:58

Too many to get them all and thanks to all of those above for jogging my memory:

James Brown
The Supremes with Diana Ross
The Temptations
The Four Tops
Buddy Guy and Junior Wells
Paul Butterfield w. Michael Bloomfield
Elvin Bishop and Charlie Musselwhite
Three Dog Night
Janis Joplin
Mountain (Leslie West)
Jefferson Airplane
Grateful Dead
Moby Grape
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Gordon Lightfoot
Rosanne Cash
Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin
John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers w. Mick Taylor before he was a Stone
The Allman Brothers w. Duane Allman
Frank Sinatra - My Dad wasn't interested in going so i tagged along as my mother's date.
The Who w. and w/o Keith Moon
Pink Floyd, once only - They played a show in a small Montreal hockey arena in quadraphonic sound, performed the entire Meddle album, vast amounts of hashish in the air that night. 1971
Bowie
Heart
George Thorogood
Garland Jeffreys
Bonnie Raitt
Springsteen
Genesis w. Phil
John Cougar
Stevie Wonder
Jethro Tull
Van Morrison
The Flatlanders
Dire Straits
John Fogerty w. son Shane
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Burdon and the Animals
The Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent)
John Prine
The Kinks
The Eagles - the original group
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan and the Band
The Band
Johnny Winter w. Rick Derringer
Eric Clapton
James Cotton Blues Band
Traffic
ZZ Top
Pretenders
Georgia Satellites
Springsteen

Bon Jovi w. Poison - The Nephew was in town :-)
Tom Petty
Jeff Beck
Los Lobos
John Hiatt
Ry Cooder
Ten Years After
Chicago
The Dixie Chicks
Elvis Costello
The Blind Boys of Alabama
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Jimmy Buffet
Roger Hodgson
Elton John
Boz Scaggs
The Flying Burrito Brothers
Delaney and Bonnie and Friends
Doobie Brothers
Rod Stewart
Stones-Have seen them at least once in every decade since the 60's excluding this one of course.

My apologies if any repeats.

Ones i didn't see but would have liked to:

Steve Miller
Bob Seger
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Prince
Joni Mitchell
Leonard Cohen
Michael Jackson
Simon and Garfunkel
Mamas and the Papas

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home