Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O.T. Any gigs that you are looking forward to ?
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 16, 2020 14:47

I'm holding tickets for a number of rescheduled gigs which look like they'll be rescheduled again. Nothing immediate on the horizon and I find the idea of socially distanced gigs plain weird (although it will suit some venues better than others). Pubs and restaurants are currently closed where I live. Live gigs - whether in a small club or mighty arena - are a very long way off. I do feel for musicians and everyone else in the industry, but I don't think we're anywhere near gig-ready yet.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 16, 2020 15:31

Big Al
To be perfectly honest, concert-going is, for me, not worth the bother until they completely relax social-distancing.

My sentiments entirely ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 16, 2020 18:23

jbwelda
haven't thought about Squeeze in a long time, they were one of my favorite outfits for quite a while. Really thought they were pretty exceptional. Very Kinks-like in a way.

jb

If you like Melvin Duffy on pedal steel check out the other band he plays in First Aid Kit. One of my favorite "newer" bands.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 16, 2020 18:31

No, looking forward with some birthday parties with my familie

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 16, 2020 18:45

crawdaddy
Just found out that James Walbourne (The Pretenders and Ray Davies) and his pal Peter Bruntnell are doing a gig at The Cavern Pub in Raynes Park soon , with local guys on bass and drums...............and really looking forward to this one.

Luckily from me in Epsom about 20 minutes on the train.

Great venue, and great local bands who play down there at normal times before covid got a hold of things in so many bad ways.

Hope a few videos come out from the gig.

Next Wednesday 8pm October 21st is in my diary.
Limited tickets and should be a great night. thumbs up

Just found out my replacement knee operation is 90% sure to go ahead on October 26th and not a wise thing to go to a gig and travel by public transport there as well.
Gotta make sure I'm fit and healthy for the 3 or 4 day stay in Epsom Hospital.

Still got good memories of the two gigs at The Black Lion Pub in Surbiton a few weeks ago now. Outside in the Garden area and Social Distancing was in operation. smileys with beer

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 16, 2020 19:43

crawdaddy
crawdaddy
Just found out that James Walbourne (The Pretenders and Ray Davies) and his pal Peter Bruntnell are doing a gig at The Cavern Pub in Raynes Park soon , with local guys on bass and drums...............and really looking forward to this one.

Great venue, and great local bands who play down there at normal times before covid got a hold of things in so many bad ways.

Just found out my replacement knee operation is 90% sure to go ahead on October 26th and not a wise thing to go to a gig and travel by public transport there as well.

Still got good memories of the two gigs at The Black Lion Pub in Surbiton a few weeks ago now. Outside in the Garden area and Social Distancing was in operation. smileys with beer

good luck on the knee replacement. need that more than a gig (unless it is something really special)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2020 19:54

crawdaddy
crawdaddy

Good luck with surgery crawdaddy - you should be fine. thumbs up
I had a knee replacement about 15 years ago...the surgery was a walk in the park...not really ha...spent six nights in hospital.
But recovery/rehabilitaion went well, and after about six months I was better than new with a new 'bionic' knee.
Been kicking down steel doors and jumping over buildings ever since...smiling smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 16, 2020 20:18

paulywaul
Big Al
To be perfectly honest, concert-going is, for me, not worth the bother until they completely relax social-distancing.

My sentiments entirely ...

I agree also but look at the bright side. No idiots filming the show on their cell phones during the concert while blocking your view. No drunks spilling beer on you. No loud off key singing during the show. No people taking selfies of themselves while having their backs to the stage. .well it still might happen but at least they wont be close enough ruin the concert.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 16, 2020 20:23

paulywaul
I don't trust the world situation. What with socially distanced gigs, god knows what kind of quarantine restrictions between various countries that will be in place and prone to change at a moment's notice, and the continuing utter uncertainty - I am making precisely no plans to go anywhere or do anything until all this has either died a natural death, or I have a died a natural death ! Whichever comes first ...

This is not life as we knew/know it, this is 'existence' ! An unpleasant and difficult one ...

Attending gigs is therefore 'on hold' for me ... until something resembling normality returns to us.

This is where I am. When the UK went into Lockdown on 23rd March, while I had tentative plans for things, I was in the fortunate position of having precisely zero booked of any kind and therefore nothing to cancel. My last gigging activity was the 1st of those 4 excellent Club gigs by the Who in Kingston upon Thames in mid February, travelling directly to my native Scotland for a long weekend immediately afterwards.

Since then it's been work, work, work from home, surrounded by Screens and the square root of sweet burger all significant leisure activity for me ever since. It's absolutely no fun at all but it won't change until either the virus dies out or a proven vaccine is universally available everywhere. There has to be a risk that many of our aging musical favourites will have called it a day before normality returns, if it ever does. Bloody depressing I know, but that's where we're at sad smileyangry smileysad smileyangry smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 16, 2020 21:31

It's nice to look back at great times and great gigs.
There will never be anything better for music fans than seeing your favourite bands/performers close up and live.
I just had a look to see what the gig schedule is for The Royal Albert Hall, and noticed Jeff Beck beginning of May and Eric Clapton later on in May.

Would go to see Jeff play live and tickets very reasonable.

Eric is just not an act I would go to see these days, and the ticket prices are sky high for all tickets.
Wishful thinking these fellas are going to perform there,but I do hope for the sake of live music that it does happen. smileys with beer

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 17, 2020 01:01

>Jah Wobble & The Invaders of The Heart

Thats some wild ass stuff there. Not reggae exactly, more like wobbly punk kind of reggae, depending on how they might actually sound now a days. I caught Wobble back in the 80s and it was pretty special. We were on the verge of booking him at the reggae festival I worked with in NorCal but it never worked out. Woulda been pretty weird anyhow.

jb

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 17, 2020 04:19

My wife and I just got tickets for this weekend!!!!!

Ticket

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2020 04:24

The world has kinda changed .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 17, 2020 13:30

I am still surprised why anyone would like to join in with any gig these days, knowing that any crowd will just make more cases of the virus, and eventually more people dead and messed up physically and mentally by the virus.

1. Keep a distance. More than two meters i.e. more than six feet.
2. Wear a mask whenever you can not keep a distance.
3. Avoid indoor crowds.
4. Wash your hands often.

Gigs may be back in 2022, but for now, and until there is a working vaccine available to everyone, gigs does not make any sense. Crowds does not make any sense. Any crowd is an insult to those who get sick, who die, or who get their health damaged permanently of this virus.

Bjornulf

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 17, 2020 16:50

Something, Anything...

On a walk this past summer... At the other end of my street I could hear a neighbor's trio jamming behind their house. He's a jazz guitarist. That was nice.

Two houses down... Their teenage kids occasional trying to be a rock band... Guitar, drums, vocal. The girl actually has a very good voice.

But her D-string is usually flat. It's actually cute usually ... but sometimes I wish I could walk up to their garage to tell them to tune the guitar, LOL!

Date: January 25, 2021 09:20

I don't know about anyone else, but I routinely get emails from various ticket agencies and/or promoters advising me of upcoming gigs. I find it more than a little bizarre, given that realistically - there's absolutely f**k all chance of pretty much any of those gigs actually happening. The most puzzling of all to my mind (recently) was the fact that the RAH was/still is selling tickets for a clutch of Eric Clapton shows in mid May this year !!?? Given the current state of play COVID-wise in UK and worldwide generally, and what with the UK government reminding us all pretty much daily not to expect the present full national lockdown to even be eased off just slightly until May at the very earliest - who the hell in their right mind thought it a good idea to put EC tickets for shows in mid-May 2021 on sale ? Naive stupidity or what ?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 25, 2021 10:23

paulywaul
I don't know about anyone else, but I routinely get emails from various ticket agencies and/or promoters advising me of upcoming gigs. I find it more than a little bizarre, given that realistically - there's absolutely f**k all chance of pretty much any of those gigs actually happening. The most puzzling of all to my mind (recently) was the fact that the RAH was/still is selling tickets for a clutch of Eric Clapton shows in mid May this year !!?? Given the current state of play COVID-wise in UK and worldwide generally, and what with the UK government reminding us all pretty much daily not to expect the present full national lockdown to even be eased off just slightly until May at the very earliest - who the hell in their right mind thought it a good idea to put EC tickets for shows in mid-May 2021 on sale ? Naive stupidity or what ?
I bought a ticket for two concerts. October and December, so I'm hoping then we'll all be better off. Moreover, especially for the smaller acts and stages it makes sense to buy now, so that they are not completely strapped off liquidity.

One of these concerts though is Power Trip / Kreator / Lamb of God. But very sadly the singer of Power Trip has died. Power Trip was putting out records on the level of Metallica's younger Cliff Burton days. And now he's gone. It's unbelievable.

Date: January 25, 2021 12:11

Whale
paulywaul
I bought a ticket for two concerts. October and December, so I'm hoping then we'll all be better off. Moreover, especially for the smaller acts and stages it makes sense to buy now, so that they are not completely strapped off liquidity.

One of these concerts though is Power Trip / Kreator / Lamb of God. But very sadly the singer of Power Trip has died. Power Trip was putting out records on the level of Metallica's younger Cliff Burton days. And now he's gone. It's unbelievable.

Personally, I hold the view that the future is currently so uncertain, that rather than book things and then be disappointed when COVID-related restrictions f**k up all the plans, I'd rather just not make any plans at all. Couldn't be bothered with then having to chase ticket agencies/promoters/venues, airlines/hotels (whatever) for refunds, and all that bo**ocks !

So for the moment, live music is off my menu.

As for the reason we're all here on IORR, little did they know how poignantly relevant the title of a certain song they wrote in 1974 would be to the world situation some nearly half century later. Time sure does wait for no-one. The drummer will be 80 on 2 June ... yikes !

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 25, 2021 14:42

Steely Dan in July...
Rescheduled from last summer
We just got our vaccination 1st dose ...
Am optimistic

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home